Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

1st oil change question,Mobil 1 ?

Search this Thread

Old 12/19/13, 12:30 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue
I am still reluctant to changing my oil at 10,000 intervals even with top tier synthetic oil but that's my own fault and still on the 7500 interval mind set. Lmao. I'll change eventually and get up to 2011 times.
Yeah I still can't bring myself to actually go 10k miles. The furthest I've gone is 8000.
Old 12/19/13, 12:46 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mfc133

Yeah I still can't bring myself to actually go 10k miles. The furthest I've gone is 8000.
Lol. I'm with you bro. Even though I have used Mobil 1 extended performance fully synthetic I can't bring myself to the 10k mark. Perhaps if I purchased and extended oil life filter like from Amsoil or a Napa platinum I would feel better.
Old 12/19/13, 01:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My biggest problem last time was getting ahold of 5W-50. I refuse to pay Ford's insane price for Motorcraft so I went with Mobil 1 EP. I had to hit 3 different NAPAs to actually get the 9 quarts I needed. When I asked for 5W-50 they all looked at me like I have three heads, and ask if it's for a motorcycle or a diesel truck LOL.
Old 12/19/13, 01:50 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
As someone who works as a tech in a small shop and worked at a dealer for 7 months changing oil I can tell you the OLM is not for us. With more and more people driving these days there's more and more people that don't maintain let alone give a s*** about their cars. The OLM is only to help keep people from going way past their oil change limit and has nothing to do with those of us that check our oil regularly and watch the mileage to change the oil. In the last month we had 2 customers that let their vehicles go 20,000 miles without changing their oil! One had a cartridge type filter and it had completely rotted out and was no longer filtering anything. The other guy actually brought in a second vehicle complaining about oil consumption and the oil hadn't been changed since 2007!!!! It had like 18,000 miles on it but it had been about 7 years without being changed....so trust me when I say for people like us the OLM is more of a nuisance when you get in the car everyday and it tells you change oil soon for the next 4,000 miles. Stick to your manual (which most people probably don't know exist) and if you go synthetic pick a mileage and see how the oil comes out after that interval and change your mileage from there.
Old 12/19/13, 02:26 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by LivinTheStangLife
As someone who works as a tech in a small shop and worked at a dealer for 7 months changing oil I can tell you the OLM is not for us. With more and more people driving these days there's more and more people that don't maintain let alone give a s*** about their cars. The OLM is only to help keep people from going way past their oil change limit and has nothing to do with those of us that check our oil regularly and watch the mileage to change the oil. In the last month we had 2 customers that let their vehicles go 20,000 miles without changing their oil! One had a cartridge type filter and it had completely rotted out and was no longer filtering anything. The other guy actually brought in a second vehicle complaining about oil consumption and the oil hadn't been changed since 2007!!!! It had like 18,000 miles on it but it had been about 7 years without being changed....so trust me when I say for people like us the OLM is more of a nuisance when you get in the car everyday and it tells you change oil soon for the next 4,000 miles. Stick to your manual (which most people probably don't know exist) and if you go synthetic pick a mileage and see how the oil comes out after that interval and change your mileage from there.
Well, there's the saying, you can lead a horse to water, but cannot make it drink.

I'll assume in the cases you mentioned, the OLM alerted the owner to change the oil. They ignore it, so it shall be. Short of producing an electric shock to the bottom seat, I do not know what else a car manufacturer can do to alert these boneheads.
Old 12/19/13, 02:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Bucko
Well, there's the saying, you can lead a horse to water, but cannot make it drink.

I'll assume in the cases you mentioned, the OLM alerted the owner to change the oil. They ignore it, so it shall be. Short of producing an electric shock to the bottom seat, I do not know what else a car manufacturer can do to alert these boneheads.
In those 2 cases they were older vehicles without monitors but at the dealership I saw plenty of cars that people were ignoring their lights for awhile but it does help the boneheads that dont check mileage and stuff. For instance the 2 I mentioned might have seen the light enough times to remember to change it had the had one where as there was nothing so they just forgot or didnt care whichever it was. Same with TPMS it was put onto cars for the same reason people dont care to check tire pressures and would blow out/ruin tires and try to blame it on the tire companies so they went here you go here's an idiot light that tells you your tire is low. People ignore those as well but most people bring it in when they see that light on. But most people nowadays if that tire light didnt come on they would never know their tire was flat let alone low
Old 12/19/13, 02:41 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I'm sure the top tier true synthetic oils such as Royal Purple, Amsoil and Mobil 1 extended performance can safely lubricate and not break down for 15K miles and on. My concern is really the oil filter , will it continue to filter out after so many miles. I'm aware that Amsoil and Napa platinum are extended oil filters but do they really hold up and do the job for so long? I currently use Napa Gold filters which are a great quality and change around 7500k miles give or take.

15k miles does seem awfully long to wait for an oil change interval but Mobil 1EP does claim it can hold up that long.
Old 12/19/13, 03:03 PM
Bullitt Member

I go 10k on my royal purple but I change the motorcraft filter at 5k which in turn I have to add a quart or so of new oil afterwards.
Old 12/19/13, 03:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I'm sure the top tier true synthetic oils such as Royal Purple, Amsoil and Mobil 1 extended performance can safely lubricate and not break down for 15K miles and on. My concern is really the oil filter , will it continue to filter out after so many miles. I'm aware that Amsoil and Napa platinum are extended oil filters but do they really hold up and do the job for so long? I currently use Napa Gold filters which are a great quality and change around 7500k miles give or take.

15k miles does seem awfully long to wait for an oil change interval but Mobil 1EP does claim it can hold up that long.

For the filters I would HIGHLY recommend either the Mobil 1 or Royal Purple filters (They're basically the exact same thing, I believe both come from the same manufacturer). The internals are a synthetic mesh, not just paper. They last a LOT longer, and yes, they will filter the oil very well beyond 10,000 miles.

I've sent my own oil (Pennzoil Ultra) in to Blackstone for testing after 10,000 miles, and they came back and said it was not only still clean, it was still good for at least another 6,000 miles.

With good filters and good fully synthetic oil the 10,000 mile oil change interval is actually quite conservative. If Ford had mandated a synthetic mesh filter and high quality synthetic oil from the start they probably could have gone with a 15,000 mile oil change interval rather than just 10,000 and still not run into any significant problems.
Old 12/19/13, 03:48 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by Moustang

For the filters I would HIGHLY recommend either the Mobil 1 or Royal Purple filters (They're basically the exact same thing, I believe both come from the same manufacturer). The internals are a synthetic mesh, not just paper. They last a LOT longer, and yes, they will filter the oil very well beyond 10,000 miles.

I've sent my own oil (Pennzoil Ultra) in to Blackstone for testing after 10,000 miles, and they came back and said it was not only still clean, it was still good for at least another 6,000 miles.

With good filters and good fully synthetic oil the 10,000 mile oil change interval is actually quite conservative. If Ford had mandated a synthetic mesh filter and high quality synthetic oil from the start they probably could have gone with a 15,000 mile oil change interval rather than just 10,000 and still not run into any significant problems.
Good to know about the mobil 1 filters. Are the Amsoil filters any better than the Mobil 1 extended filters when it comes to lasting
Old 12/19/13, 04:01 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Where do you buy your Mobil 1 extended oil filters? I only ask because advanced auto parts says they don't make the filter to fit a 2011 V6 model
Old 12/19/13, 04:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where do you buy your Mobil 1 extended oil filters? I only ask because advanced auto parts says they don't make the filter to fit a 2011 V6 model

I usually get my filters from them
Attached Thumbnails 1st oil change question,Mobil 1 ?-image-4204603265.jpg  
Old 12/19/13, 05:16 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by RaceRed5.0

I usually get my filters from them
Thanks. Good to know. The one auto parts store in my region says on the website the mobil 1 extended filters are not available for the v6 and gt models. Lol.
Old 12/19/13, 05:17 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Good to know about the mobil 1 filters. Are the Amsoil filters any better than the Mobil 1 extended filters when it comes to lasting
Last I checked Amsoil does not have an 11-14 Mustang filter.
Old 12/19/13, 06:14 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by wheelman
Last I checked Amsoil does not have an 11-14 Mustang filter.
They sure do bro.

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produc...?code=EAO17-EA
Old 12/19/13, 10:51 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
For the filters I would HIGHLY recommend either the Mobil 1 or Royal Purple filters (They're basically the exact same thing, I believe both come from the same manufacturer). The internals are a synthetic mesh, not just paper. They last a LOT longer, and yes, they will filter the oil very well beyond 10,000 miles. I've sent my own oil (Pennzoil Ultra) in to Blackstone for testing after 10,000 miles, and they came back and said it was not only still clean, it was still good for at least another 6,000 miles. With good filters and good fully synthetic oil the 10,000 mile oil change interval is actually quite conservative. If Ford had mandated a synthetic mesh filter and high quality synthetic oil from the start they probably could have gone with a 15,000 mile oil change interval rather than just 10,000 and still not run into any significant problems.
K&N filters are fantastic too - they cost about $12 and have a 1" nut on the end to help in taking them off.
Old 12/19/13, 11:00 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by kylerohde

K&N filters are fantastic too - they cost about $12 and have a 1" nut on the end to help in taking them off.
Thats what I was reading about tonight the K& N filters. The write up said they were equal to the mobil 1 extended oil filter but had that 1 inch nut on the end. I believe there around 14 dollars at auto zone store.
Old 12/19/13, 11:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by kylerohde

Hehehe, yes, I should have mentioned K&N as well...

Mobile 1, Royal Purple, and K&N........ ALL made by Champion Laboratories Inc. They also make STP oil filters too.
Old 12/20/13, 04:18 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Good news
Old 12/20/13, 06:27 AM
Cobra Member

Lol. I'm with you bro. Even though I have used Mobil 1 extended performance fully synthetic I can't bring myself to the 10k mark. Perhaps if I purchased and extended oil life filter like from Amsoil or a Napa platinum I would feel better.
I've done it, both in my Mustang, and with my 2005 Ford F150. The truck has over 235K on it (bought it new), and to date there has not been an issue with the engine. The usual belts, and one alternator replacement.

Always used full synthetic with the exception of the oil it came from with Ford initially in that truck, so I follow what has worked into the Mustang. Currently have 57K on it.

If you are using the full synthetic extended performance, and are dumping it before 10K, your tossing money out the window. Please, give it to me!

Last edited by Bucko; 12/20/13 at 06:29 AM.

Quick Reply: 1st oil change question,Mobil 1 ?