Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

1st oil change question,Mobil 1 ?

Search this Thread

Old 12/16/13, 01:14 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Mrsuitcase
Just a warning story with "free" dealership oil changes (thankfully this involves a Nissan dealership):

My brother in law received 2 years of free oil changes for his Nissan rogue. He puts a lot of mileage on the vehicle, and they ended up doing 8 changes for him (every 3 months).

On his first change afterwards, he went to an express-lube type place. They showed him the dipstick covered in sludge and told him they didn't think the oil had actually ever been changed (his mileage was now 80,000 km).

They also showed him the sludge in the pan that came out of the engine. My brother-in-law was quite embarassed, since he used to be a mechanic. But lesson learned - double check and make sure they are actually doing your "free" oil changes.
That's pretty sh***y! I was a lube tech at a gm dealership for awhile and we always did the free ones and those were the only ones we were told not to recommend stuff that needed fixed or changed. I don't care for stealerships in general after working for one for 7 months
Old 12/18/13, 11:26 AM
Temporary Vacation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My oil was slightly dark,they changed it,the new oil was nearly clear on the dipstick.
Old 12/18/13, 11:29 AM
Temporary Vacation

" Conoco-Phillips makes Motorcraft oil. They also make Kendall motor oil, as well as their gas station brands.
Look at the bottles "

Wow... Excelent post. I think I would have to agree. Thank you much !

Last edited by Victory-rc; 12/18/13 at 11:31 AM.
Old 12/18/13, 01:29 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Moustang
Sorry, but bull.

Use the oil until it says "Replace oil immediately". Then reset the meter and drive it. Notice, the "monitor" has no idea that the old oil is still in the engine.

Also notice that if you switch to a high grade, high mileage, fully synthetic oil the "monitor" does NOT extend the range, despite the fact that the oil in the engine may still be in better shape than the factory oil straight out of the bottle.
Don't know what your "bull" reply is all about...no one would reset the monitor and continue running with the old oil unless they are going by the oil manufacturers statments of oil change intervals.

But as a rule (before oil monitors where equipped in cars), good synthetics advertised up to 10K (or more) between changes, depending on the type of driving you do. Towing, stop/go driving will lower this thinking, and their recomendations.

Of course the oil monitor does not have this logic. It bases it's percentage of oil life on the type of driving that is done regardless of oil type as you state. Using the monitor, all oil mileage testimonies or statistics given, such as Ams-oil claiming 15K or more between changes are ignored, and have no meaning with the oil monitor.

I do about 90% highway driving, putting on about 400 to 500 miles a week. I agree that dyno oil, semi synthetic, or full synthetic is not going to change the oil monitor's length of time. That is done by the driving type; stop/go and continuous driving. I have noticed that if my highway driving is replaced by a few days of stop/go, the monitor alerts me sooner that the "oil percentage left" happens sooner than if I'm doing highway driving.

I'm impressed with the oil monitor. On average, the oil percentage of life gets to around 9200 to 9600 miles between oil changes.

I use full synthetics.

Last edited by Bucko; 12/18/13 at 01:49 PM.
Old 12/18/13, 02:07 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Bucko
Don't know what your "bull" reply is all about...no one would be dumb enough to reset the monitor and continue running with the old oil...I hope. But as a rule (before oil monitors where equipped in cars), good synthetics can take you up past 10K between changes, depending on the type of driving you do. Towing, stop/go driving will lower this thinking.

Of course the oil monitor does not have this logic. It bases it's percentage of oil life on the type of driving that is done. Using the monitor, all oil mileage testimonies or statistics given, such as Ams-oil claiming 15K or more between changes are ignored, and have no meaning with the oil monitor.

I do about 90% highway driving, putting on about 400 to 500 miles a week. I agree that dyno oil, semi synthetic, or full synthetic is not going to change the oil monitor's length of time. That is done by the driving type; stop/go and continuous driving. I have noticed that if my highway driving is replaced by a few days of stop/go, the monitor alerts me sooner that the "oil percentage left" happens sooner than if I'm doing highway driving.

Since new, I've logged all oil changes in a spreadsheet. I'm currently at 58K on the odometer. The oil change intervals remain pretty constant by the monitor, except when I have the occasional stop/go traffic mixed into the time between changes.

I'm impressed with the oil monitor. On average, the oil percentage of life gets to around 9200 to 9600 miles between oil changes.

I do use full synthetics however, and yes I know they have no affect on the oil monitor.
I think when he said bull that is exactly what it was because the oil monitor life is not accurate. The system does not actually analyze the oil that is in the car and determine how much quality oil is left in its life. The oil monitor life system cannot distinguish between synthetic oil and regular oil as you state therefore it goes off around the same time for oil change.

Whether someone uses Amsoil good for 25k interval oil changes or regular oil, the oil life monitor system will say change the oil around 10k regardless of quality of the oil. To me this renders that system completely useless.

Last edited by 2011 Kona Blue; 12/18/13 at 02:09 PM.
Old 12/18/13, 02:25 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue
I think when he said bull that is exactly what it was because the oil monitor life is not accurate. The system does not actually analyze the oil that is in the car and determine how much quality oil is left in its life. The oil monitor life system cannot distinguish between synthetic oil and regular oil as you state therefore it goes off around the same time for oil change.

Whether someone uses Amsoil good for 25k interval oil changes or regular oil, the oil life monitor system will say change the oil around 10k regardless of quality of the oil. To me this renders that system completely useless.
I'd agree with that statement, as long as the person is using the oil manufacturers recommended oil expectancy, rather than Fords "oil monitor" method.

I'm wondering if the "oil monitor" works on the principle of semi synthetic life ratings?; as this is what came from the factory on my V6. Most semi synthetics are rated at 10K.

Do the 5.0 GT's have a different program built into the "oil monitor" than a V6?

Do the Boss models even have the "oil monitor"? I know they came with full synthetic from the factory (and a different weight rating oil), and I'd think they were built to get used much harder than a GT. Maybe the second special key that's available with a Boss alters the "oil monitor" oil life conditions?

Don't know, but would be curious if these conditions have any difference in how the oil monitor calculates the life left in the oil.

Last edited by Bucko; 12/18/13 at 02:28 PM.
Old 12/18/13, 03:21 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I actually was wondering about the oil life monitor system the other day and thought there is no way in gods green earth, its even close to being accurate. My last oil change was 7500 miles ago and I used 5w 30 Mobil One fully synthetic extended performance oil which is good up to 15,000 miles. My oil life monitor reads 30% life left after 7500 miles and 99.8 percent of my driving is highway and no braking. Now, if the oil life monitor system worked accurately how in gods green earth can my Mobil 1 extended performance oil have only 30% good oil life left. Yet when the dealership used Motorcraft 50/50 blend around 7500 miles the oil life monitor would read a similar 30% life left.

Thus shows, the only thing the oil life monitor system monitors is when the oil life reset button is hit and measures the miles traveled.
Old 12/18/13, 08:58 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
I actually was wondering about the oil life monitor system the other day and thought there is no way in gods green earth, its even close to being accurate. My last oil change was 7500 miles ago and I used 5w 30 Mobil One fully synthetic extended performance oil which is good up to 15,000 miles. My oil life monitor reads 30% life left after 7500 miles and 99.8 percent of my driving is highway and no braking. Now, if the oil life monitor system worked accurately how in gods green earth can my Mobil 1 extended performance oil have only 30% good oil life left. Yet when the dealership used Motorcraft 50/50 blend around 7500 miles the oil life monitor would read a similar 30% life left. Thus shows, the only thing the oil life monitor system monitors is when the oil life reset button is hit and measures the miles traveled.
No, it measures it based on all sorts of other things like temperature, engine speed, etc. but it's calibrated for semi-synthetic oil.
Old 12/18/13, 09:20 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by kylerohde
No, it measures it based on all sorts of other things like temperature, engine speed, etc. but it's calibrated for semi-synthetic oil.
Then even more of the fact the oil monitor system is no where near accurate and someone should not rely on it. One is better off picking a mileage interval and not to rely otherwise. To me, the idea of having such system would be valuable only if it was able to analyze the grade of oil and it's properties. Since the oil monitor system cannot distinguish the differences between regular petroleum oil, semi synthetic oil and fully synthetic oil, the system is completely useless. All the system does is keep track of the mileage from its last oil change when reset and notify when factory set mileage is up. My mother has an oil monitor life system on her Toyota and it goes off every 5000 miles religiously regardless of the quality oil used or how the vehicle was driven. Useless it is.

It's told the system lets someone know how much good oil is left but it can't tell the great oil from okay oil. Garbage I say. Lol

Last edited by 2011 Kona Blue; 12/18/13 at 09:22 PM.
Old 12/19/13, 02:01 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Since the oil monitor system cannot distinguish the differences between regular petroleum oil, semi synthetic oil and fully synthetic oil, the system is completely useless.
I agree it could be better if we could enter a parameter or two, but it isn't completely useless. It will nag you if you become negligent.

Usually, I'll dump my synthetics at 10k so I can set it for 100%. When I bought the car I wanted to change the oil at ~500 miles. So I set the system to 10%. Cruising down the freeway on my way home from work I discovered a potential health benefit when the dashboard lit up with a warning and the alarm sounded when it approached 500 miles. Oh crap, my new car, it's failing, woe is me...wha Oil change!? Is that all? Well my adrenal glands work and I don't have a serious aneurysm! Man!

I guess if I want to run the oil farther than ~10k, I would have to reset the percentage at an appropriate time. What I've done in other cars to check oil mileage is set the secondary trip indicator when changing oil. I think I'll keep doing it on this one too.
Old 12/19/13, 06:33 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Then even more of the fact the oil monitor system is no where near accurate and someone should not rely on it. One is better off picking a mileage interval and not to rely otherwise. To me, the idea of having such system would be valuable only if it was able to analyze the grade of oil and it's properties. Since the oil monitor system cannot distinguish the differences between regular petroleum oil, semi synthetic oil and fully synthetic oil, the system is completely useless. All the system does is keep track of the mileage from its last oil change when reset and notify when factory set mileage is up. My mother has an oil monitor life system on her Toyota and it goes off every 5000 miles religiously regardless of the quality oil used or how the vehicle was driven. Useless it is.

It's told the system lets someone know how much good oil is left but it can't tell the great oil from okay oil. Garbage I say. Lol
Again, like so many things when it comes to our cars, you're forgetting that the people on this forum are the exception and not the norm. For every one of us running Amsoil and sending every oil change's samples to Blackstone for analysis, there's 10 people taking their Mustang to Jiffy Lube and not knowing or caring what oil goes into it, just that the car beeps at them and a message shows up on the dash when it's time to change the oil. Those people are more than likely getting semi-synthetic oil put back in, since it's been Ford factory fill for more than a decade, if memory serves. So it's calibrated for the vast majority of drivers.

Yes, it would be more useful if you could tell it that you'd put in full synthetic oil, but it's still far from useless. The OLM does a lot more than just "keep track of the mileage from its last oil change when reset and notify when factory set mileage is up". If you drive 5,000 miles in bumper to bumper traffic where it's 100 degrees out, it's going to go bad far faster than if you are cruising at 70 MPH on the highway and it's 55.

If you do pay attention closely (again, if you're one of the minority), then a regular interval of time and/or mileage is fine; that's what I do too. But to dismiss the OLM as useless...not quite.
Old 12/19/13, 06:57 AM
Cobra Member

So the later replies did answer one of my questions, that the oil monitor used by Ford in our Mustangs is calibrated with their semi synthetic oil life of 10K.

Now, is that the same for the 5.0's?

The Bosses? Assuming the Boss even has an oil monitor....

Last edited by Bucko; 12/19/13 at 06:59 AM.
Old 12/19/13, 07:05 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by kylerohde

Again, like so many things when it comes to our cars, you're forgetting that the people on this forum are the exception and not the norm. For every one of us running Amsoil and sending every oil change's samples to Blackstone for analysis, there's 10 people taking their Mustang to Jiffy Lube and not knowing or caring what oil goes into it, just that the car beeps at them and a message shows up on the dash when it's time to change the oil. Those people are more than likely getting semi-synthetic oil put back in, since it's been Ford factory fill for more than a decade, if memory serves. So it's calibrated for the vast majority of drivers.

Yes, it would be more useful if you could tell it that you'd put in full synthetic oil, but it's still far from useless. The OLM does a lot more than just "keep track of the mileage from its last oil change when reset and notify when factory set mileage is up". If you drive 5,000 miles in bumper to bumper traffic where it's 100 degrees out, it's going to go bad far faster than if you are cruising at 70 MPH on the highway and it's 55.

If you do pay attention closely (again, if you're one of the minority), then a regular interval of time and/or mileage is fine; that's what I do too. But to dismiss the OLM as useless...not quite.
Perhaps the term useless was a bit harsh and unfair but more of a guide indicator that is not very accurate. I only say this because me driving in the same conditions the oil life monitor system reacts the same whether I use a 50/50 blend oil or Mobil 1 extended performance fully synthetic. The system tells gives me a percentage of good oil left and its around the same regardless of the quality of oil. The driving conditions could be the same or very similar and the system will go off the same regardless of which oil one uses.
Old 12/19/13, 07:12 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by Bucko
So the later replies did answer one of my questions, that the oil monitor used by Ford in our Mustangs is calibrated with their semi synthetic oil life of 10K.

Now, is that the same for the 5.0's?

The Bosses? Assuming the Boss even has an oil monitor....
No doubt in my mind the oil life monitoring system is set to go off at 10,000 miles regardless of driving conditions or quality of oil used. The system is not that advanced to actually chemically analogize the oils remaining shelf life therefore is not very accurate. Its my understanding if one is using a Top quality oil such as Royal Purple, Amsoil, Mobil 1 extended performance and good oil filter that oil is not going to break down because its fully synthetic therefore the self life will be much longer than petroleum only oils.

Last edited by 2011 Kona Blue; 12/19/13 at 07:13 AM.
Old 12/19/13, 07:19 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The system is not that advanced to actually chemically analogize the oils remaining shelf life therefore is not very accurate.
So what you're saying is, you want Blackstone Labs under your hood at all times.
Old 12/19/13, 08:21 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by mfc133

So what you're saying is, you want Blackstone Labs under your hood at all times.
Not necessary because I change my oil at regular intervals regardless of what the good oil life is less BUT. The point of the oil life monitor system is to make people believe the system monitors the quality of good oil left until its next oil change. It gives people the wrong impression. If your the average owner who doesn't know crap, and uses basic oil, the system tells you , the oil is good for 10,000 miles regardless if the oil is good or not. The system gives you a percentage of what it claims good oil left and that's bogus, not even close to being accurate.
Old 12/19/13, 10:41 AM
Cobra Member

I see nothing wrong with the statements 2011 Kona Blue brings to this topic. Perhaps the Ford engineers are reading, and will offer the ability for the owner to program in some variables to the oil monitor. After all Ford does offer a full synthetic oil, don't they? Seems they would be doing a small bit of advantage taking; if full synthetics are rated past the 10K mark in some cases, and their oil monitor runs on the assumption of 10K semi synthetic parameters, then thats a jab at the consumer. And as stated by Kyle, the folks here on this forum tend to be a bit smarter than the average bear.

I can recall a few years ago (maybe 6 or 7) when I would have my oil changed by one of the Mobil centers here in Florida. I always got the Mobile 1 full synthetic (my truck which did not have an oil monitor). They would place the sticker on the inner windshield and write in the next oil change date and mileage. The date was 3 months or 3K. When I questioned them on this, stating that their Mobil 1 full synthetic was rated at 7500 miles (at the time), they simply said the "industry standards recommend running oil to 3K". I told them that was for dyno based oils, and not synthetics. The guy looked at me like a deer in headlights. I simply used my own judgement based on the oils posted mileage expectancy.

One of the good oil threads in awhile. Learning some things.

Last edited by Bucko; 12/19/13 at 10:44 AM.
Old 12/19/13, 11:05 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Well the OLM is based on the lowest quality oil that Ford recommends for your vehicle, let's say it's 5W-20 synthetic blend for 10kmiles in this case. You could put a higher quality full synthetic in, and probably be safe to 12,000mi. The problem is you're putting your powertrain warranty at risk. If you do have an engine problem, and Ford looks at your service records and sees 12,000mi between oil changes you're SOL.

Now as far as dealers and quick lube places telling you 3K miles no matter what, yeah that's just them spreading misinformation to bring in more business. And even today it's still a common practice. As far as when to change your oil, there's one definitive authority on that: your owner's manual.

Would it be nice if the OLM could actually sample the quality of the oil rather than making an estimate based on engine conditions, sure. There is such a thing in existance, but probably too cost prohibitive for auto manufacturers to use right now.
Old 12/19/13, 11:58 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by mfc133
Well the OLM is based on the lowest quality oil that Ford recommends for your vehicle, let's say it's 5W-20 synthetic blend for 10kmiles in this case. You could put a higher quality full synthetic in, and probably be safe to 12,000mi. The problem is you're putting your powertrain warranty at risk. If you do have an engine problem, and Ford looks at your service records and sees 12,000mi between oil changes you're SOL.

Now as far as dealers and quick lube places telling you 3K miles no matter what, yeah that's just them spreading misinformation to bring in more business. And even today it's still a common practice. As far as when to change your oil, there's one definitive authority on that: your owner's manual.

Would it be nice if the OLM could actually sample the quality of the oil rather than making an estimate based on engine conditions, sure. There is such a thing in existance, but probably too cost prohibitive for auto manufacturers to use right now.
I definitely hear what your saying. With that the oil life monitor system is not designed well if its set to only comply with Fords recommended 50/50 blend 5W20. Granted the people on the forums are more educated than the average consumer but what about consumers that use a regular petroleum oil. The oil life monitor still thinks your good till 10,000 miles when in fact you really aren't because you didnt use the 50/50 blend.

On other hand, use an oil that is good till 25k miles and the oil life monitor still thinks the good oil life is only till around 10,000 miles. That's a silly system. Ford markets the system as if it reads the oil quality and determines what percentage of good oil is left. This is farthest from the truth. It just keeps track of when the car hits another 10,000 miles and bang light goes off to change oil. Has nothing to do with oil being way overdue or has plenty of good oil life left. The system needs tweaking and would not rely on it.

I am still reluctant to changing my oil at 10,000 intervals even with top tier synthetic oil but that's my own fault and still on the 7500 interval mind set. Lmao. I'll change eventually and get up to 2011 times.
Old 12/19/13, 12:12 PM
GT Member

Its been 2600 miles since my last oil change and my oil life monitor says 63% (not 74%). Incidentally, I encounter stop and go traffic nearly every day on my commute.

Insisting that the OLM is only measured by the odometer is not accurate. There's something else going on.

Quick Reply: 1st oil change question,Mobil 1 ?