Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

1st oil change question,Mobil 1 ?

Search this Thread

Old 12/9/13, 07:50 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by David Young
I think 4,000 miles for the first oil change is a little too long......Just saying
Ford says up to 10k miles, not sure how 4,000 is too long. 5.0 has an extra 2qt capacity over the 4.6 it replaces.
Old 12/9/13, 01:39 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bentnail
Ok so I am curious......OIL or errrr SYNTHETIC.......same princples to lubricate and reduce fricition between parts. Ok I am curious....change your Oil at 400 miles, 3000 miles, or when the Oil Life on the car says too??? Common practice versus personal preferences......I on the fence as to when I should change....I have a brand NEW 14 V6 base....I am sold on the Synthetic...most likely Mobil 1 EP since I can get here and not have to order in like Amsoil....
Your base V6 came from Ford with their FoMoCo semi synthetic blend, and their filter. Ford says this oil can go up to 10K, based on the driving habits that are monitored by the maintenance system built into the car. Use it. If you do lots of stop/go driving, the monitor will reduce the change frequency interval. The monitor informs you with "percentage of oil life" in the info center in your cluster.

If you pay for full synthetic, and ignore the info center readings, use it up to 7K for stop and go, and 10K for highway. Anything less is a waste of good money you used to buy the full synthetic. Go back to the semi-blend if you plan to change your oil sooner than 5K unless you are all stop and go traffic driving.

Easier explaination? Use the engine oil monitor and full synthetic.
Old 12/9/13, 01:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Please no, don't do it. The last thing you want for Christmas is Tick for your precious Mustang.
Old 12/9/13, 03:56 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PonyMuscletang13
Please no, don't do it. The last thing you want for Christmas is Tick for your precious Mustang.
That tick is worth 10rwhp! The ls1's were infamous for their "tick" too. No worries
Old 12/9/13, 09:42 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4000 isn't too long at all. I ran my car for about 2500 miles (hard miles), let your rings seat in properly with the oil that came with the car.
Old 12/10/13, 05:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm at 4,200 miles on my 2014 GT and I'm still on the original oil fill. I plan on changing at 5,000 miles or in February which will be a year since the car was built.

I personally don't like Mobil 1 but that is just from my experience using it years ago in my 98 chevy truck. I'll probably use the factory Motorcraft blend in mine as I won't drive enough miles in a year to warrant a full synthetic.

I'm sure the Mobil 1 will be fine if you want to use it. Main thing is to change it when it's supposed to be changed.

Wayne
Old 12/12/13, 08:02 AM
Temporary Vacation

It is done.... DEALER changed it for free. Any ticking is due to the dealer.
They also lubricated my windows ... What ever that is.
Old 12/12/13, 01:31 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Victory-rc
What? Lubricated your windows?? What does that even mean. I would be like you better not have put **** on my windows or any part of my car for that matter
Old 12/12/13, 02:23 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Did you ask the service advisor when he/she gave you the paperwork and keys upon pick up?

You are allowed to ask them and question all service work, even if it's warranty type work.

I found this with a Google search:

http://www.ehow.com/how_7477004_lubr...r-windows.html

Last edited by Bucko; 12/12/13 at 02:26 PM.
Old 12/12/13, 07:16 PM
Temporary Vacation

I thanked them and asked what a oil change costs if it wasn't complimentary.
I assume he means the window tracks.

They topped off my washer fluid and a multi point check of some sort.

If it was Warmer weather I would do it myself.
Old 12/13/13, 05:47 PM
Temporary Vacation

Any idea what oil ford uses ? It must be from some manufacture.
Old 12/13/13, 08:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Any idea what oil ford uses ? It must be from some manufacture.
If it was done at the dealership and it was complimentary for the first oil change (or you have maintenance plan), then it is most likely the motorcraft synthetic-blend.

Also they call it the 'works' pkg, you get tire rotations and some minor inspections with an oil change.
Old 12/13/13, 08:44 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 111 Likes on 101 Posts
Had my first dealer oil change today too. Had to walk them thru the 5w50 full synthetic requirement for the track pack but we got they it and I got it all set. Was at 5200 miles and I had done a change to M1 at 400 miles back in the summertime. Took away a pint of my used oil that I will send out for analysis shortly. I run the car hard when I drive and am anxious to see oil analysis results of the M1. Will post
Old 12/13/13, 08:51 PM
Temporary Vacation

I know it's motorcraft oil,but ford doesn't produce motor oil,it's supplied to them by someone. I was wondering who it could be. ... Maybe Mobil 1 ?
Ford is using someone's oil.

Originally Posted by PonyMuscletang13
If it was done at the dealership and it was complimentary for the first oil change (or you have maintenance plan), then it is most likely the motorcraft synthetic-blend.

Also they call it the 'works' pkg, you get tire rotations and some minor inspections with an oil change.
Old 12/13/13, 09:28 PM

i was told first oil change at 6k,i am at 5100,down for winter,so spring will be my first.Just going to use the Ford stuff
Old 12/14/13, 06:23 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 2012GT

Mobil 1 synthetic Extended Performance is base four synthetic stock. Mobil 1 synthetic is a base 3 stock. Get the extended performance and you have a base four synthetic just like AMSOIL and royal purple.
Mobil 1 synthetic extended performance is definitely awesome and yep it is a Base IV synthetic. The other Mobil 1 synthetic oil is a base III as many other synthetic oils.

If one goes with a base III synthetic, you mind as well use Super Tech Full Synthetic Oil because its the same as all the other base III synthetic oils. 17 bucks for a 5 quart Super Tech full synthetic oil at Wally World.

Matter of fact I just changed my oil the other day and used 6 quarts of Super Tech Full Synthetic Oil. Great price and does the job. Change oil every 7500 miles and its good to go.

Last edited by 2011 Kona Blue; 12/14/13 at 06:29 AM.
Old 12/14/13, 03:08 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 111 Likes on 101 Posts
Wish Walmart carried 5w50 in the 5 qt containers... But the first free oil change was a nice surprise yesterday and with 2 more free changes maybe by the time I have to do one myself 5 qt containers will be available!
Old 12/16/13, 10:27 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Bucko
Your base V6 came from Ford with their FoMoCo semi synthetic blend, and their filter. Ford says this oil can go up to 10K, based on the driving habits that are monitored by the maintenance system built into the car. Use it. If you do lots of stop/go driving, the monitor will reduce the change frequency interval. The monitor informs you with "percentage of oil life" in the info center in your cluster.

Sorry, but bull.

Use the oil until it says "Replace oil immediately". Then reset the meter and drive it. Notice, the "monitor" has no idea that the old oil is still in the engine.

Also notice that if you switch to a high grade, high mileage, fully synthetic oil the "monitor" does NOT extend the range, despite the fact that the oil in the engine may still be in better shape than the factory oil straight out of the bottle.
Old 12/16/13, 10:36 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I know it's motorcraft oil,but ford doesn't produce motor oil,it's supplied to them by someone. I was wondering who it could be. ... Maybe Mobil 1 ?
Ford is using someone's oil.
Conoco-Phillips makes Motorcraft oil. They also make Kendall motor oil, as well as their gas station brands.

It's pretty obvious when you see the bottles.

Last edited by Moustang; 12/16/13 at 01:04 PM.
Old 12/16/13, 11:51 AM
Bullitt Member

Just a warning story with "free" dealership oil changes (thankfully this involves a Nissan dealership):

My brother in law received 2 years of free oil changes for his Nissan rogue. He puts a lot of mileage on the vehicle, and they ended up doing 8 changes for him (every 3 months).

On his first change afterwards, he went to an express-lube type place. They showed him the dipstick covered in sludge and told him they didn't think the oil had actually ever been changed (his mileage was now 80,000 km).

They also showed him the sludge in the pan that came out of the engine. My brother-in-law was quite embarassed, since he used to be a mechanic. But lesson learned - double check and make sure they are actually doing your "free" oil changes.

Quick Reply: 1st oil change question,Mobil 1 ?