Ford OEM Parts {Oem Ford Parts Information & Links} Get Ford Parts from Forum Member 05stangkc {Ebay Sales Link}

Factory Engine Cover $$$$$$$$$

Search this Thread

Old 7/14/06, 08:30 PM
The Analog Admin!

Received 3,157 Likes on 2,311 Posts
Talk about a Guy Diving in Head first for Answers! Paul is a great guy and I really Appreciate The Quick Information and Solution. I look Forward to the Pics! Then it is up to the Individual to determine if a Little hood massage is acceptable to get the Shelby Bar on your Car. I would guess due to the Extra Height on the Bar that a v6 would be a good fit although the Hood mods would be Needed. Thats The Beauty of TMS the Teamwork of the Members looking to Improve their Steed! Glad to hear of you Instant Handling Improvement! I had totally forgot the Functionality of the Part! I was focusing on the Coolness of it! LOL!

Thanks Paul!
Old 7/14/06, 08:42 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by delz05
Good News...Bad News...Good News!

Items installed on GT 'Vert

PICS WILL BE POSTED WHEN I GET HOME FROM WORK...doing a split shift 730pm til 4am. Took photos, just no time to get them on TMS before work.

First the good news... engine cover fits like fingers in a glove and the Shelby Strut Brace (single bar) clears the cover with no problems. They look great togther.

Bad News...the brace will not fit under a stock 05/06 hood. It makes contact with the hood re-inforcement, just to the left and right of the fake hood scoop cut-out (you have to remove the insulation pad to see this).

Good news again...it took me about 45mins to get the brace to fit. I pulled the insulation pad...used some plumbers putty (any type of clay or playdough will work) and placed it on the bar, just above the fuel rails for a length of 6 inches, towards the strut towers. Close hood as able, lift and you will see they clay marks. Add about 1/4 inch all around, out line with marker. I used an air-powered cut-off wheel (standard body shop tool) made the cuts, removed the pieces (about 4 inches long x 2 inches wide) filed and painted the openings, and then closed the hood with no problems! Put the Insulation pad back on and off to work. I had a chance to drive it pretty hard on my way in, and on a bad piece of road, off the highway, it pushed through an area straight and true, (this being where the potholes, sewer covers, bridge grates and chewed up road surface all converge) that usually knocks the car all over. When I head home at 0400, I'll get a chance to really push it through some tight turns, but I can feel the difference right away. NOTE: This is installed on a 'VERT, hardtops may not have same results!

I will check out the insulation pad and report on damages, if any, when I post pic. I expect to see a crease whre the cut-outs are.

As for cutting/fabricating, I spent more time hooking up the compressor, finding my cut-off tool and disc and prepping than actual labor (less than 30mins). If you are not afraid of tools, then you should have no problems doing this yourself. I called the shop I used to work at and they figured about 50.00 for the labor and materials for install.

FYI...last post was at 1700, install of cover and bar, along with fabrication was completed by 1815, off to work at 1840
Thanks for the info. So, you had to cut out 2"X4" sections of the underhood reinforcements to make the STB clear the hood? Don't you think that doing that might weaken the hood structure. With the hood being aluminum, it might need all that support? Look forward to seeing the pics though, because as they say, a picture is worth a thousand words! Thanks again,

Buster
Old 7/14/06, 11:29 PM
V6 Member

look what i got today.is this the only hardware i need for the install?
Attached Thumbnails Factory Engine Cover $$$$$$$$$-dsc03972.jpg   Factory Engine Cover $$$$$$$$$-dsc03975.jpg  
Old 7/15/06, 01:31 AM
Cobra R Member

what happened to the pics! is this the shelby one tube brace your talking about, or the frpp brace. The frpp brace was nice and snug, I bet it fits perfect with this cover, I will have to order another one. LOL
Old 7/15/06, 08:11 AM
V6 Member

they are talking about the shelby brace with one bar
Old 7/15/06, 08:55 AM
The Analog Admin!

Originally Posted by 06tungstenstang
look what i got today.is this the only hardware i need for the install?
Thats It!

kc
Old 7/15/06, 08:59 AM
The Analog Admin!

Originally Posted by sodaman
what happened to the pics! is this the shelby one tube brace your talking about, or the frpp brace. The frpp brace was nice and snug, I bet it fits perfect with this cover, I will have to order another one. LOL
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showpo...&postcount=318
Old 7/15/06, 11:28 AM
Cobra R Member

KC, does anyone you sent this cover too have the frpp strut tower brace. It was snug against the hood liner, and made two small indentations thats it. So I bet this will fit perfect with that bar. Is there any way you can confirm this for me kc. Do you have any in stock or anything. I know you dont get a good deal on the frpp ones, but if it fits, they may be the best to sell with this cover. I am about to install it anyminute, but dont have the brace anymore, it went with my 05 when I sold it. Thanks for your great service KC.
Old 7/15/06, 11:40 AM
The Analog Admin!

I don't have one but I'm Sure a member will find out Soon Enough and Post a Pic!
Old 7/15/06, 12:28 PM
Cobra R Member

Well as usual KC you have another happy customer here. These things are awesome, now Ill have to clean the engine compartment. LOL Well cant wait to see a ford racing brace over one. It looks like it should fit.
Attached Thumbnails Factory Engine Cover $$$$$$$$$-att00001.jpg  
Old 7/15/06, 02:10 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Bar and Cover Pics

Sorry for this delayed posting, didn't get home from work until 0500hrs. Had to get some sleep before I go back in tonite. Anyway.... I drove the car nice and hard on my way home, This or any strut bar IS A MUST for the 'VERTS! Huge and noticible improvement. This is the SHELBY BAR. Plenty of clearance over the Engine Cover. As posted above, a little massaging needed on the underside of the hood. Pics tell the story.
Attached Thumbnails Factory Engine Cover $$$$$$$$$-dsc00984.jpg   Factory Engine Cover $$$$$$$$$-dsc00976.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 7/15/06, 02:11 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Above photos are of the bar and cover, just the cover and then the new mounting screws on the front of the cover
Old 7/15/06, 02:22 PM
Cobra R Member

wheres the pic of the messaging of the underside of the hood. If you have some please post.
Old 7/15/06, 02:31 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Working as fast as I can Sodaman. Dealing with dial-up here. pics will follow soonest!
Old 7/15/06, 02:34 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Under hood work.

Pics are of clay marking, then Sharpie outline, followed by actual cut-out.
Attached Thumbnails Factory Engine Cover $$$$$$$$$-dsc00982.jpg   Factory Engine Cover $$$$$$$$$-dsc00983.jpg  
Attached Images     
Old 7/15/06, 02:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

That looks gruesome.....

Can we get a definite list of what STB's DEFINATELY work clearance wise with the Ford plenum cover? An indention on the liner matters not, I just don't want it rubbing the plenum and don't want to cut a couple hols in my hood.
Old 7/15/06, 02:47 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Insulation Pad wrinkle

Here is a shot of the full bar and cover, install complete. Also a couple of shots of the wrinkles in the insulation pad. I can't see them when I drive, so they don't bother me!
Attached Thumbnails Factory Engine Cover $$$$$$$$$-dsc00985.jpg   Factory Engine Cover $$$$$$$$$-dsc00986.jpg   Factory Engine Cover $$$$$$$$$-dsc00987.jpg  
Old 7/15/06, 02:50 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Keep in mind that what is being removed is a small piece of sheetmetal, only about 2inches x 4inches. As you can see from final pics, can't notice with pad re-installed.
Old 7/15/06, 03:31 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks for all the pics and the info Paul. As for me anyway, that eliminates the Shelby brace from consideration. I don't mind a couple of little intenditions in the hood liner, but I am certainly not going to cut my hood, to make the Shelby brace work, and even with that, it leaves some pretty heavy creases in the liner, not to mention the fact that the hood is now slightly weaker. For only about $15 more, I can order the Granatelli single bar strut tower brace that I have been told will clear the Ford cover and of course it clears the stock hood. It also looks just like the Shelby brace.

Thanks again,
Buster
Old 7/15/06, 09:14 PM

FRPP Strut Tower Brace

I have been talking to Marty at FRPP for some time now about the fit of the FRPP twin bar STB and the plenum cover. He says the FRPP brace will definetly not clear the plenum cover as currently designed. It rubs the cover. FRPP has been trying to decide if they can modify the FRPP brace to clear the cover, and still fit under the stock hood. As of last week, they are still working on it, but no answer yet. The wheels turn ever so slowly in big companies! Marty thinks it may not be possible for the FRPP brace to clear the cover and still clear the stock hood too, as the brace already creases the hood liner. I'll post again as soon as I get the final word.

Quick Reply: Factory Engine Cover $$$$$$$$$