Ford Discussions Non-Mustang Ford Products

2013 Fusion/Mondeo discussion

Search this Thread

Old 1/8/12, 11:00 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Except that Charger looks so mean and powerful and Fusion ...well - doesn't.
Old 1/8/12, 11:20 AM
Swamp Donkey Aficionado

Originally Posted by FAP_Zastava_Ikarbus
Except that Charger looks so mean and powerful and Fusion ...well - doesn't.
If fat and bloated = "mean and powerful," then I suppose you're right, the Charger does look the part. Don't get me wrong, Dodge's newest Charger is a good-looking car; however, like its platform mate -- the Challenger -- the car is too big and bulky, in my opinion. That's why I prefer the sleek aesthetic of the Mustang and that's why I prefer the Ford Fusion, at least based on the pictures above. I'm not sure how many people will cross-shop the Fusion and Charger, though, considering one will be touting its eco-friendly GTDI engines while the other features a 470-horsepower V-8 in SRT guise.
Old 1/8/12, 11:25 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

I still don't know why Ford is messing up with the wining formula. Fusion and Escape just had record sales year and Ford is replacing both of them with the all new models that are completely different ... Why?
Old 1/8/12, 12:00 PM
Swamp Donkey Aficionado

I still don't know why Ford is messing up with the wining formula. Fusion and Escape just had record sales year and Ford is replacing both of them with the all new models that are completely different ... Why?
With recently-introduced, all-new products from the competition, Ford understands they can't just rest on their laurels. Chevrolet has a new, albeit ugly, Malibu on the way, and Toyota just released their brand-new Camry (boring and ugly, too). I haven't paid much attention to the Escape's direct competitors, but you know what I'm saying. I think Ford's also banking that their technology, Ecoboost engines and higher levels of refinement and sophistication will be enough to retain and even gain sales momentum.
Old 1/8/12, 12:10 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

I don't mind if Mondeo and Fusion (as well as Kuga and Escape) share every mechanical parts. What I do mind is that they look identical and they're for completely different customers. Why was it so difficult to design the 2013 Fusion to look American? The current Fusion proved to be a big success - it outsold all mid-size cars except Camry and Altima.
Chevrolet just introduced the new Malibu and it looks nothing like Opel Insignia with whom Malibu shares all mechanical parts. I think Ford should've done the same thing with Fusion. Build it on Mondeo's platform, but design it to look American (like the current Fusion does).
Old 1/8/12, 12:25 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Huh, I've always thought the current Chevy family front fascia had a very 'Korean' vibe to it. I certainly wouldn't call it classically American, just my two cents.

That said, I'm not sure what I think of the new Fusion yet.
Old 1/8/12, 12:53 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by jsaylor
Huh, I've always thought the current Chevy family front fascia had a very 'Korean' vibe to it. I certainly wouldn't call it classically American, just my two cents.

That said, I'm not sure what I think of the new Fusion yet.
Seconded. Zoran, I can see where you're coming from in your desire for a clear divide between Euro Ford and NA Ford, but GM is a poor example. None of GM's cars outside Caddy and Camaro look very "American" at the moment, and the Opels are being ported over here as "American" Buicks.
Old 1/8/12, 01:10 PM
bt4
Bullitt Member

Well looking at Volkswagen sales, I guess they're even less interested in European design.
Huh? VW of America saw sales in the US increase over 26% in 2011.
Old 1/8/12, 01:33 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Originally Posted by Moosetang
Seconded. Zoran, I can see where you're coming from in your desire for a clear divide between Euro Ford and NA Ford, but GM is a poor example. None of GM's cars outside Caddy and Camaro look very "American" at the moment, and the Opels are being ported over here as "American" Buicks.
I dunno man, the new Malibu is coming to Europe later this year and I've been reading a lot about it on Serbian forums. Majority of people kept saying "it's just too American to succeed in Europe".
Old 1/8/12, 01:34 PM
bt4
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by MARZ
If fat and bloated = "mean and powerful," then I suppose you're right, the Charger does look the part. Don't get me wrong, Dodge's newest Charger is a good-looking car; however, like its platform mate -- the Challenger -- the car is too big and bulky, in my opinion.
Looks are subjective--personally, I don't like the Charger. It looks 'chunky', for lack of a better term--heavy. The side profile is a compromise, not bad for a sedan attempting to mimic a coupe, but it fails to achieve the flow that was so appealing on the 'General Lee' version of the name plate. The rear is not bad, evoking some of the classic lines and despite the size kept a reasonable sense of proportion. The grill is appropriate for a Ram truck. Dodge, like Ford, is slow on the uptake that though a 'Corporate Grill' theme sounds like good marketing, it simply doesn't work for all models. Like the 3-bar grill Ford used, Dodge needs to re-think using a cross-hair grill for every car that they offer.

Dodge got the Challenger right--I like the looks of the car. The design hangs together and it looks good from just about any aspect. It is big, but the proportions are so well done that it is only when it is parked next to a Mustang or a Camaro that its size becomes apparent. And, the design team was smart enough to leave off the 'Corporate Grill'.
Old 1/8/12, 01:37 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Originally Posted by bt4
Huh? VW of America saw sales in the US increase over 26% in 2011.
They still sold only 325,000 vehicles in 2011.
And the only reason why sales went up is because all of the sudden Jetta and Passat became really cheap.
Even with that cheap price Volkswagen still sold only 22,000 Passats ... compared to 248,000 Fusions.
Old 1/8/12, 01:43 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Here's a question for everybody: if American/European/Asian looks don't matter, why did Fusion outsold Mazda6 so badly in 2011?
They both share platforms, they're the same size, same price, Mazda6 is probably the best looking mid-size car ... and yet in 2011 Ford sold over 248,000 Fusions and Mazda sold only 35,000 Mazda6s.
Old 1/8/12, 01:55 PM

Camry and Accord don't look very "American" but still lead the pack.
Old 1/8/12, 02:15 PM
bt4
Bullitt Member

They still sold only 325,000 vehicles in 2011.
And the only reason why sales went up is because all of the sudden Jetta and Passat became really cheap.
Even with that cheap price Volkswagen still sold only 22,000 Passats ... compared to 248,000 Fusions.
Again, huh? Sales are up 26% and all because Jetta and Passat became cheap? Please. Your original comment was that Americans didn't like the design, and implied VW wasn't selling well, because of their 'European Design'. That was your opinion, but the facts indicate otherwise, sales were up, not down. VW of America had a very strong sales year (for VWA). (No, I don't drive a VW, but I can read the sales results.)

Now your are rationalizing that if sales went up and it must be because the Jetta and Passat became really cheap. (Cheap doesn't hurt, that's true, but the take rate of TDI was up over 33%--only the GLI package is a more expensive option for VW models.) You may not like VW and its OK to say that. You don't have to rationalize your opinion. Simply say you don't like VW design language.

Personally, I think VW has become more bland, less European and more generic 'car' like Toyota, but that's just my opinion. And I unlike you, I will confess, I have no idea how to even start quantifying what percentage of the sales increase was due to price-point and what percent may be attributed design.
Old 1/8/12, 02:19 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Originally Posted by bt4
Again, huh? Sales are up 26% and all because Jetta and Passat became cheap? Please. Your original comment was that Americans didn't like the design, and implied VW wasn't selling well, because of their 'European Design'. That was your opinion, but the facts indicate otherwise, sales were up, not down. VW of America had a very strong sales year (for VWA). (No, I don't drive a VW, but I can read the sales results.)

Now your are rationalizing that if sales went up and it must be because the Jetta and Passat became really cheap. (Cheap doesn't hurt, that's true, but the take rate of TDI was up over 33%--only the GLI package is a more expensive option for VW models.) You may not like VW and its OK to say that. You don't have to rationalize your opinion. Simply say you don't like VW design language.

Personally, I think VW has become more bland, less European and more generic 'car' like Toyota, but that's just my opinion. And I unlike you, I will confess, I have no idea how to even start quantifying what percentage of the sales increase was due to price-point and what percent may be attributed design.
Do you have any idea how well VW is selling in Europe and Asia?
VW sold over 8.2 million vehicles in 2011 and only 325,000 of that were sold in the USA - world's 2nd largest market for cars.
I actually like VWs, I own one, but their sales in the USA weren't going anywhere until they introduced a really cheap Jetta and USA-specific Passat (which is completely different than European Passat).

Last edited by Zastava_101; 1/8/12 at 02:24 PM.
Old 1/8/12, 02:20 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Originally Posted by Moosetang
Camry and Accord don't look very "American" but still lead the pack.
Fusion actually outsold Accord in 2011.

I mean, here are two cars - Fusion and Mazda6 - that are mechanically identical, but one sold over 7 times more units ... Why is that?
Old 1/8/12, 02:31 PM

Fusion actually outsold Accord in 2011.

I mean, here are two cars - Fusion and Mazda6 - that are mechanically identical, but one sold over 7 times more units ... Why is that?
Driving dynamics are very different, fuel mileage was different, interiors are VASTLY different, brand perception and dealer networks different.
Old 1/8/12, 02:33 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

And the fact that Fusion looks all-American (with that truck grille) had nothing to do with sales?
Old 1/8/12, 02:38 PM

And the fact that Fusion looks all-American (with that truck grille) had nothing to do with sales?
I'm sure it does, but I was intent on listing the differences other than exterior styling. These are not the "same" car in different skins, at least not to the common consumer.
Old 1/8/12, 02:44 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

i drove both (not a new Fusion but Mk. 1) and I actually thought that Mazda6 is a better car ...

Quick Reply: 2013 Fusion/Mondeo discussion