SN95 Mustang 1994-2004 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Big Dave's Sonic Blue Mustang Thread

Search this Thread

Old 9/1/10, 02:09 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
FML

so I've had a small water leak the past month or so, but havent been able to figure out where. This morning I could see the steam in the moist air, and found wetness around the top of the motor. Took the afternoon off work, and went to the mechanic. We started searching around for the issue. Found water in the valley in between the intake and the motor. The gasket where the thermostat is at is the same one that is the gasket between the intake plenum and the engine, is leaking and dripping water down. That's what we're both thinking.

So to replace the gasket, I have to tear down the top of the motor. I'm going to look into performance intakes and the EGR valves and such need to be cleaned and checked. Anything else I need to do while there?

I'm thinking about having it done by a guy that's really good with motors, knows more about your car than you do, by a hundred times kinda guy.

Can't ever have a cheap and easy fix!

Old 9/1/10, 02:19 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How many miles on your Mustang? I know the older style manifolds were known for breaking around that area (plastic instead of metal) but I've heard of some updated manifolds having the issue too, albeit rare. I'm on that boat too but mine isn't bad at all and I have shocks/struts to worry about first.

Prepare for the worst and save up for a manifold just in case. If you have to replace it, stick with OE, not the Dorman brand, or performance. The Dorman ones have a higher risk of issues than OE.

Why not tackle the job and save yourself some cash? If I can do it, so can you!

Last edited by Superfly SN95; 9/1/10 at 02:20 PM.
Old 9/1/10, 02:23 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts
Originally Posted by StangMahn
so I've had a small water leak the past month or so, but havent been able to figure out where. This morning I could see the steam in the moist air, and found wetness around the top of the motor. Took the afternoon off work, and went to the mechanic. We started searching around for the issue. Found water in the valley in between the intake and the motor. The gasket where the thermostat is at is the same one that is the gasket between the intake plenum and the engine, is leaking and dripping water down. That's what we're both thinking.

So to replace the gasket, I have to tear down the top of the motor. I'm going to look into performance intakes and the EGR valves and such need to be cleaned and checked. Anything else I need to do while there?

I'm thinking about having it done by a guy that's really good with motors, knows more about your car than you do, by a hundred times kinda guy.

Can't ever have a cheap and easy fix!

Taking that intake off is a fairly easy task Dave, its not like hes going to have to tear into the motor.
Old 9/1/10, 02:32 PM
NTTAWWT

Originally Posted by superfly s197
How many miles on your Mustang? I know the older style manifolds were known for breaking around that area (plastic instead of metal) but I've heard of some updated manifolds having the issue too, albeit rare. I'm on that boat too but mine isn't bad at all and I have shocks/struts to worry about first.

Prepare for the worst and save up for a manifold just in case. If you have to replace it, stick with OE, not the Dorman brand, or performance. The Dorman ones have a higher risk of issues than OE.

Why not tackle the job and save yourself some cash? If I can do it, so can you!
If it's the manifold I'll probably get the Edelbrock one. I'm going to do some looking around to find which one is the best w/o being stupidly expensive.

Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown
Taking that intake off is a fairly easy task Dave, its not like hes going to have to tear into the motor.
I gotta see what's involved with it, I'm sure I could do it, I just dont have much of a space to do it here. I'm going to take alot better look at it at the shop in a week or two to make sure its the gasket. I see 15+ hp gains to be had with some new intakes.
Old 9/1/10, 02:52 PM
NTTAWWT

another thought is this: if I buy a new intake manifold, do I have to get a tuner for it?
Old 9/1/10, 03:24 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
You can do it David.

If I can put a Saleen blower with all the upgrades in Seven, you can do this.

I was reading the post earlier...is the leak coming from the water neck gasket?
Old 9/1/10, 03:33 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by StangMahn
another thought is this: if I buy a new intake manifold, do I have to get a tuner for it?
I'm pretty sure it would require it and you should get one anyway

What I would like to know: is there manifolds that work for stock and/or mild bolt-ons? Oh no, I'm going to start looking into performance parts for the 2V
Old 9/1/10, 06:33 PM
I will buy Jack Stands!!!

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts
So your thermostat housing gasket is the culprit? And you have to take off your intake to get to it? Can you post a pic of what your engine bay looks like? Because I keep picturing my trucks, and it's just real easy there
Old 9/1/10, 07:21 PM
Legacy TMS Member Pr

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
Hope is not a cracked manifold And if it's broken, go with a performance replacement.
Old 9/1/10, 07:33 PM
NTTAWWT

here's an example of an intake I could get, but you see the place on the corner where it juts out? that's where my leak is apparently coming from. and I dont knwo that for absolute sure either, there's a couple things it could be. But I'm going to have to keep it full for a couple weeks until I can get a chance to take it to the uncle's and get a good look at it.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/edelbr...ld-9904gt.html

but of course you have to buy a couple extra things to go with it, blah, blah, blah.

one of the examples they showed for a more expensive one was powdercoated blue

Last edited by StangMahn; 9/1/10 at 07:36 PM.
Old 9/1/10, 07:41 PM
Legacy TMS Member Pr

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
You mean the part below the thermostat housing where it mates to the cyl head? It could be just the gasket, but you'll have to tear it apart to be sure. After all, those are OEM paper gaskets.

That's a good deal for an Edelbrock manifold. The other thing you need is obviously a new plenum perhaps?
Old 9/1/10, 07:46 PM
NTTAWWT

This Edelbrock Victor Jr. EFI Intake Manifold requires Edelbrock EFI Fuel Rail Kit part# 3639, custom plumbing, and a factory style intake gasket part# 20055 for proper installation.
I dont really like the look of those fuel rails, not that I've seen a picture of them on a car, but that's another 100+
Old 9/1/10, 07:47 PM
NTTAWWT

my main concern is fuel mileage. I was getting close if not over 25mpg on the hwy before. If I upgrade the intake, what'll happen to that?
Old 9/1/10, 07:49 PM
Post *****

So is the leak coming from under this

Old 9/1/10, 08:10 PM
NTTAWWT

yup, right here, under it actually. But as far as I can tell, the gasket there, is the one for the intake as well.
Attached Thumbnails Big Dave's Sonic Blue Mustang Thread-mmfp_0611_04z-1999_ford_mustang-engine_bay.jpg  
Old 9/1/10, 08:28 PM
Post *****

You see now that i don't know

They are separate gaskets on the 3v
Old 9/1/10, 08:49 PM
NTTAWWT

yeah, I'm sure they are now, after this was apparently some kind of a big issue

here's what the intake gasket looks like, so unless I'm just dumb (which is entirely possible), it looks like the gasket for the housing is the same one as the intake

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...To-Head-Gasket

and after looking at a couple other things, it could be a cracked water transfer tube. Guess I just wont know until I can take it apart.

Last edited by StangMahn; 9/1/10 at 08:50 PM.
Old 9/1/10, 08:55 PM
Post *****

Well I still say it's an easy job. Tearing down an intake to the gaskets would be pretty simple. Looks like a few bucks and you'll have it solved. I don't think I'd replace the intake unless you get in there and it's damaged or a problem. You can always do it again later when you have more monies.
Old 9/1/10, 08:57 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
the leak is most likely just the gasket. how many miles are on your motor? because i dont think cracked intakes happen often.

also, when pondering the edelbrock intake, were those gains with otherwise stock motors? i usually dont see people replacing the manifold on these cars until they're already boosted. most bolt on cars dont even need the upgrade and still make mad power. another thing to think about is that the housing itself is only secured by two bolts and isnt exactly the toughest piece around.. ive seen alot of brand new thermostats leak right away after install because they were overtorqued on one side or another. just another thing to think about. either way, still alot cheaper than a new manifold

how much is a replacement stock one? because i wouldnt move to the edelbrock unless its a very small price difference. the manifold itself isnt the bottleneck on these engines, its the plenum itself.

either way, good luck fixin her
Old 9/1/10, 10:16 PM
NTTAWWT

the motors got 82k on it now, I know 9000 miles in 3 months, what can I say, I like driving her, haha.

Most of my decision will be made based upon what I find is the problem. There could be like a dozen different things it looks like.

the gains were supposed to be with stock motors. The intake is apparently a plastic molded one, and I was told cracking/leaking does happen more often than it should. A replacement one is 200, and the edelbrock one is 330, but you have to get fuel rails also, which is 100. I've figured it like this, if it's just the gasket, I'll replace just the gasket, if it's the intake, then I'll replace the intake with something better. I know I'm going to change quite alot on the motor over the years, so I'm thinking I might should go ahead and replace it while I'm there.

money isnt really a huge issue, I could afford to do a terminator swap if I wanted to, but I dont wanna spend money unnecessarily, ya know?

Last edited by StangMahn; 9/1/10 at 10:17 PM.

Quick Reply: Big Dave's Sonic Blue Mustang Thread