05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Satellite Radio Mounting Location

Search this Thread

Old 4/27/06, 04:07 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Today, I went to Best Buy just to take a look at possible options of what I might like before I go ahead and buy the Satellite Radio. When I was talking to the sales guy he strongly stated that the placement of the satellite receiver antenna on the inside is a BAD idea! His reasons seemed pretty logical (he said like any satellite, it's based on line-of-sight and that the metal on the roof can interfere with the reception of the satellite reception.) He said the only way to go is to mount your antenna on the outside. He also scared me when he said, "the satellite antenna also has a twenty two feet cord so you can route it wherever you want to!" I then thought to myself "TWENTY TWO FEET! HOLY COW!!!" I asked him then whether you could shorten that amount of wire and he said nope due to complexity of wire. Soooo do you think I could go a head and mount the antenna on the inside? (I guess this an obvious YES due to most people are doing this now) but do you think there is a possible drawback of doing this?
Old 4/27/06, 06:00 PM
Team Mustang Source

Does anyone know for certain if glass restricts the satellite signal or not?

If it doesn't then I would say that inside the windshield or on the rear parcel shelf should be good locations.
Old 4/27/06, 06:04 PM
Bullitt Member

My Sirius antenna is mounted on the dash and I get great reception through the windshield. I have very dark tint on the rear window and when I put it back there the reception was lousy.
Old 4/27/06, 06:34 PM
GT Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(1SG @ April 27, 2006, 7:07 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
My Sirius antenna is mounted on the dash and I get great reception through the windshield. I have very dark tint on the rear window and when I put it back there the reception was lousy.
[/b][/quote]

How'd you hide TWENTY-TWO feet of wire?
Old 4/27/06, 06:47 PM
GT Member

Most window tints have a metallic tint base in them. Unless one spends extra money for the new ceramic window tints, poor reception can be the result. The darker the tint, the more metallic component it has. Metallics will interfere with radio waves. Ceramic tints don't cause reception problems and are also usually guaranteed for life not to fade. I placed my GPS antenna on the rear window shelf in my Mustang and have not had any reception trouble. I followed my window tinter's advice and used the ceramic based tint.
Old 4/28/06, 07:58 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Redfire 05Gt @ April 27, 2006, 7:03 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Does anyone know for certain if glass restricts the satellite signal or not?

If it doesn't then I would say that inside the windshield or on the rear parcel shelf should be good locations.
[/b][/quote]

after i had my first antenna mounted on my trunk...and it snapped due to the cold weather and me opening the trunk...i threw it in the rear window...no problems with reception at all