05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

the infamous window tint/felt install/hot temp issue

Search this Thread

Old 6/13/06, 11:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the infamous window tint/felt install/hot temp issue

Alright, thanks to this forum I knew to apply the felt (from Office Depot, velcro soft-side), and wondered what the summer heat would do here in N.E. Florida. Well...

To those applying the felt, cut the felt longer than the strip and do this during the day so you can put the tracks out in the sun (or at least under some heat) for a while. After only about 2 months I ended up with about 1/2 inch short on the end tips and sticky residue (just nasty stuff) on the glass, no scratches luckly.

So for me, I'm pulling the tracks back out tonight, cleaning them up again, and then trying applying using a hairdryer. my goal is to also squeeze out some of the extra glue. If this don't work someone at Ford is getting a call this non-felt crap has got to go.
Old 6/13/06, 11:53 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by CastleRisk
Alright, thanks to this forum I knew to apply the felt (from Office Depot, velcro soft-side), and wondered what the summer heat would do here in N.E. Florida. Well...

To those applying the felt, cut the felt longer than the strip and do this during the day so you can put the tracks out in the sun (or at least under some heat) for a while. After only about 2 months I ended up with about 1/2 inch short on the end tips and sticky residue (just nasty stuff) on the glass, no scratches luckly.

So for me, I'm pulling the tracks back out tonight, cleaning them up again, and then trying applying using a hairdryer. my goal is to also squeeze out some of the extra glue. If this don't work someone at Ford is getting a call this non-felt crap has got to go.
What about getting velcro that doesn't have the sticky stuff, and buying the 3M spray adhesive? I think it's meant for automotive seats etc... Might be worth a try, it's similar to Contact cement which doesn't melt under extreme heat (within reason of course)
Old 6/13/06, 01:35 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It might be overkill, but I stuck with the "Mole Skin" stuff that is made just for this application. I know it won't scratch my tint and I am pretty sure it will stick just fine in hot or cold weather. Not so sure about the contact cement or the Velcro...
Old 6/13/06, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Fastrack
What about getting velcro that doesn't have the sticky stuff, and buying the 3M spray adhesive?
Not a bad idea at all! Can't be any worse than what I'm seeing now. I'll report back the results.
Old 6/14/06, 12:41 AM
Cobra Member

The velcro I got was industrial strenght (I believe) and after reading this post I went out in the about 105 weather today and checked my car and the glue was a little gooy, but it wasn't on the windows yet..... I'm thinking of switching before it gets too bad! Let me know how that stuff works... and what exactly is mole skin???
Old 6/14/06, 09:20 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by WuTimeUT
The velcro I got was industrial strenght (I believe) and after reading this post I went out in the about 105 weather today and checked my car and the glue was a little gooy, but it wasn't on the windows yet..... I'm thinking of switching before it gets too bad! Let me know how that stuff works... and what exactly is mole skin???
Moleskin is what they call the felt window tinters use to protect the window from scratching. It looks something like this:

http://www.crlaurence.com/ProductPag...87.html?Origin=
Old 6/14/06, 01:16 PM
Cobra Member

ah I C and this stuff won't melt???
Old 6/14/06, 08:43 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've had moleskin in mine for 1 1/2 years and there's been no evidence of melting... and I'm living here in the kitty litter (aka central Arid-zona).
Old 6/15/06, 12:12 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

i am just about to put tint on my car and i need to know if i HAVE TO or NEED to put mole skin on my runners before i put tint
Old 6/15/06, 02:49 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by RedDragon777
i am just about to put tint on my car and i need to know if i HAVE TO or NEED to put mole skin on my runners before i put tint
You don't have to if you like scratches in your tint. Otherwise, make sure you put it on the car or you will be sorry later. Because of the crappy window trim Ford used, you are almost guaranteed to get scratches without some kind of protection.

-TRB