05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

** GROUP BUY: Gentex Interior Mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 5/12/08, 10:20 AM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you can find them in junk yards and on ebay, I'm a Ford parts counterman and I got mine from a warrantied visor out of a Town Car, it had a tear in the material (looked like a lady with some long sharp nails), anyway it was easy enough to install, just 2 wires to splice into the map lamps.
Old 5/12/08, 08:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
easy to program?
Old 5/13/08, 05:10 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
I saw a bunch if different ones on e-bay , all makes and models. I assume since you're removing it from the visor it wouldn't matter what you got , which ever one would look good and fit where you wanted to put it. But then I started thinking , if they don't come with instructions , you wouldn't know how to program them. Is the programming pretty much standard on them ...
Old 5/13/08, 05:38 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Larmo
easy to program?
Prepare for programming the universal transmitter by erasing all 3 channels. To erase all 3 channels, hold down the 2 outside buttons until the red indicator begins to flash (20-30 seconds). Release both buttons.

Select one of the 3 universal transmitter channels to be programmed by pressing the desired button.
Hold the end of the hand-held transmitter 25-51 mm (1-2 inches) from the front surface of the universal transmitter so that the red indicator can still be seen.
NOTE: For Canadian vehicles only: during programming, the hand-held transmitter may automatically stop transmitting after 2 seconds, which may not be long enough to program the universal transmitter. If programming this type of hand-held transmitter, continue to hold the button on the universal transmitter while re-pressing the hand-held transmitter button every 2 seconds.

Use both hands to press the hand-held transmitter button and the desired button on the universal transmitter. Do not release either button.

Hold down both buttons until the red indicator on the universal transmitter flashes, first slowly and then rapidly. Release both buttons when the rapid flashing begins. The universal transmitter has successfully learned the new frequency signal and can be used in place of the hand-held transmitter(s).
NOTE: If the hand-held transmitter appears to program the universal transmitter, but does not open the garage door, the garage door opener may have a code protected or rolling code feature.

To operate, simply press the appropriate button on the universal transmitter. The red indicator is on while the signal is being transmitted.

if your garage door has a rolling code feature it can also be programmed but it's just alittle different procedure.

Last edited by partsbill; 5/13/08 at 05:40 AM.
Old 5/13/08, 12:29 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Bill , are these instructions just for one from a Town Car ? As I said in the post before yours , I found a bunch of different ones on e-bay. If it's specific to a Town Car , is there a specific year I need to look for ? Thanks ...
Old 5/13/08, 12:45 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 05YellowGT
Bill , are these instructions just for one from a Town Car ? As I said in the post before yours , I found a bunch of different ones on e-bay. If it's specific to a Town Car , is there a specific year I need to look for ? Thanks ...
the instructions are for any universal homelink unit in any Ford/Lincoln/Mercury vehicle, I'm pretty sure it's the same as any vehicle with homelink, my wife has a 1999 Lexas RX300 with the homelink unit in the sun visor and you program it the same way.
Old 5/13/08, 12:50 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Thanks Bill ...