05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

** GROUP BUY: Gentex Interior Mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 4/25/08, 07:29 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
** GROUP BUY: Gentex Interior Mirrors

We all know (or should know) the reputation and quality of Gentex mirrors. I've been meaning to get one, since I have no idea why Ford didn't include a temp sensor or compass control on our cars, not to mention make the mirror auto-dimming, but I just now spoke with the rep and if we can get at least 5 people committed, he will sell us all the Gentex Auto-Dimming Interior Mirror with Compass and Temperature for $160 shipped. Plus, that price includes the upgraded "M" harness that makes install on s197's a bit easier.

Keep in mind, this mirror lists for $249:
http://www.mitocorp.com/flash/nvs_comptempmirror_specifications.htm

For those that want the Homelink version, it lists for $399 and is available through this group buy for $360 shipped.

Please let me know if you are interested. I am the first in line so all we need is 4 more people to get this pricing.

1- Larmo
2-
3-
4-
5-
Old 4/25/08, 02:03 PM
Bullitt Member

I've already got one, but I just wanted to say that you might get more people interested if you buy the model that has the three garage door openers built in. I love mine.

Edit: oops, saw you mentioned that already.

Last edited by bigray327; 4/25/08 at 02:04 PM.
Old 4/25/08, 02:17 PM
Bullitt Member

If you looked above, you'd see I mentioned the Homelink version for $360. To me, not worth $200 extra just to open the garage. Its available though.

I already have several commitments from another forum so this special pricing will likely be available for those interested.
Old 4/25/08, 03:53 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Sounds like a good deal. How long is this good for? Is there something that hides all the wiring?
Old 4/25/08, 05:36 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's a homelink with Temp and Autodim for the Mazda (same mirrror) for $234.00 shipped. The compass with homelink is $214.50 shipped. The compass and temp without homelink is $156.00 shipped.

Maybe we should get a group buy from these guys

http://www.mazdaparts.org/au9.html

Originally Posted by Larmo
We all know (or should know) the reputation and quality of Gentex mirrors. I've been meaning to get one, since I have no idea why Ford didn't include a temp sensor or compass control on our cars, not to mention make the mirror auto-dimming, but I just now spoke with the rep and if we can get at least 5 people committed, he will sell us all the Gentex Auto-Dimming Interior Mirror with Compass and Temperature for $160 shipped. Plus, that price includes the upgraded "M" harness that makes install on s197's a bit easier.

Keep in mind, this mirror lists for $249:
http://www.mitocorp.com/flash/nvs_comptempmirror_specifications.htm

For those that want the Homelink version, it lists for $399 and is available through this group buy for $360 shipped.

Please let me know if you are interested. I am the first in line so all we need is 4 more people to get this pricing.

1- Larmo
2-
3-
4-
5-

Last edited by Deric; 4/25/08 at 05:37 PM.
Old 4/25/08, 07:55 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Deric
Here's a homelink with Temp and Autodim for the Mazda (same mirrror) for $234.00 shipped. The compass with homelink is $214.50 shipped. The compass and temp without homelink is $156.00 shipped.

Maybe we should get a group buy from these guys

http://www.mazdaparts.org/au9.html

Dang that's a good deal...... wonder what's involved in the install?
Old 4/25/08, 08:08 PM
Bullitt Member

Deric, I appreciate the thought but I have read negative reviews of the Mazda mirror. Everyone can do as they please but as for me I will be dealing with a genuine Gentex mirror from an authorized Gentex distributor.

Leo, the $160 shipped includes the upgraded wiring harness which is the most attractive wire loom.
Old 4/25/08, 08:29 PM
V6 Member

count me in on this Larmo
Old 4/25/08, 08:48 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can you post some pics of the wiring loom and how it would connect? I am interested in the homelink model.

Last edited by Fryguy; 4/25/08 at 08:49 PM.
Old 4/25/08, 10:47 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
These mirrors are cool but I am sort of on the fence because I would like one with a Bluetooth phone receiver in it The autodim, compass and temp sensor are however very nice features. I remember having the autodim mirror on my 89 Tbird and I got very spoiled by it along with the auto headlamp dimmer.
Old 4/26/08, 06:10 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
Sounds like a good deal. How long is this good for? Is there something that hides all the wiring?

You should be able to buy a plastic cover that goes from the mirror mount to the headliner panel.

IIRC, it was $5, but definitely worth it so that you don't see the wires.
Old 4/26/08, 07:56 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tom281
Dang that's a good deal...... wonder what's involved in the install?
Tom, I went onto the link he posted, and it goes to Gentex's site. I wasn't able to click on the install instructions as you have to have a password. I'd be interested in the autodim version as well, but would really like to see the install directions to see how involved it is.
Old 4/26/08, 08:02 AM
V6 Member

I'm interested. Would like the plastic cover that hides the wires too.

Dave Kegel
Old 4/26/08, 09:32 AM
V6 Member

I ordered the Gentex mirror with auto dimming, compass and temperature from AutoDax two weeks ago and installed it. There are a number of things you all need to know so here goes. The Gentex is virtually the same mirror as the OEM because Gentex makes them for Ford and several other automakers. Mine even had the same number on the back shell as the OEM. The Gentex mirrors come with either a Gentex wiring harness or a Mito wiring harness, the Gentex requires some wiring modifications, if you get this version you should get the wire cover. The version with the Mito harness looks exactly like your OEM mirror and has the same harness as the OEM. It does not require a wire cover, I bought one cause I wasn't sure and just returned it for a credit. My mirror with the Mito wiring harness was $169 and no shipping charge. The Ford installation instructions are not very good. I followed the instructions and illustrations of a fellow named Jack Phelps, which were excellent (link below). I would also recommend taking your vehicle to an auto glass shop to have your old mirror removed, most I've heard about didn't even charge for the removal and there is a possibility that you can crack the windshiel if you do it yourself.
Auto-Dimming Mirror for Mustang
Old 4/26/08, 04:58 PM
V6 Member

OK. Since the group buy appears to be with the M harness then I guess I don't need the cover.

Thanks,

Dave
Old 4/26/08, 05:51 PM
Team Mustang Source

I installed the Gentex Auto dim,Home link and compass. I see the value of the Auto dim,Home link and compass, but of what use is outside temp in the car? At home yes to know how to dress, but in the car?
Old 4/26/08, 07:28 PM
Bullitt Member

ok, so with you guys already committed here plus some other members from another forum, we are good to go. I spoke with Howard (Gentex rep) this afternoon and he gave me the website and promotional code to use for ordering. I was a little uneasy with the process as the code did not reduce the price automatically, but Howard assured me that each order is processed manually and all would be fine. I ordered and double checked my CC statement online and it was the correct group buy price, so we are good to go.

The website is http://www.autodax.com/catalog/pdetail.php?prdid=22. I recommend selecting the M harness for easier install but you can save yourself a few bucks with the other wiring harness if you'd like. At the checkout process, in the special instructions section you need to enter the following:

"Promo Code MUSTANGFORUMS for 5% discount"

They will process each order manually to ensure the additional discount is taken at checkout. I ordered mine this afternoon and I've already gotten a confirmation and UPS tracking ID. Please post pics here once its installed!!!
Old 4/26/08, 07:41 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

If we get more then 5 signed up can they do better?
Old 4/26/08, 07:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Jon, I asked that and the resounding answer was no. They claim their price is already the lowest we will find anywhere from an authorized genuine Gentex distributor. I think they are right.

Last edited by Larmo; 4/27/08 at 04:04 AM.
Old 4/26/08, 09:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by MustangGuy
I installed the Gentex Auto dim,Home link and compass. I see the value of the Auto dim,Home link and compass, but of what use is outside temp in the car? At home yes to know how to dress, but in the car?
I have a convertible and use it all the time. If the temp is 50+, the top goes down

Quick Reply: ** GROUP BUY: Gentex Interior Mirrors