05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Getting welts! (Not what you think)

Search this Thread

Old 2/27/07, 06:53 PM
V6 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Robbieg
Do you have any pics???
I just took a couple of quick pictures. I had to trim the welting before I installed them as well. The welting I have, has tabs on them. I cut the tabs off.
Attached Thumbnails Getting welts!  (Not what you think)-piping-1.jpg   Getting welts!  (Not what you think)-piping-2.jpg  
Old 2/27/07, 07:06 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by mustangman1960
I just took a couple of quick pictures. I had to trim the welting before I installed them as well. The welting I have, has tabs on them. I cut the tabs off.
Looks good. It looks like that color would compliment the IUP dash nicely.
Old 2/27/07, 07:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I still dont get the install process. While someone else does theres can you take some pics of the process. This really looks nice.!
Old 2/27/07, 08:36 PM
Cobra Member

Mark, if it weren't so darn cold, I'd be happy to. Maybe I could go down to my dealer and do his Black Vert on the showroom floor! Hmmm...
Old 2/27/07, 08:54 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by nonstopred
I still dont get the install process. While someone else does theres can you take some pics of the process. This really looks nice.!

I took some pictures during the install. Hope this helps.

The welt material is simply pushed into the channel. It fits a little loose but will stay in there once it is installed. Start in the lower edge of the door right above the door reflector.

Push the material in the channel and work your way completely around the door. When you get back to the reflector, cut the excess and push the remaining welt into the channel so the two ends are completely flush.

When the two ends are pushed in, the joint is barely noticeable.

The finished product is a marked improvement over the stock doors.
Old 2/27/07, 09:07 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by nonstopred
Mark, Odiaz has got you on the right track. When I ship out welt, I include two connecting pins. One for each door. This well help hide the seam even more.

The only recommedation I'd make over what Odiaz has told you is I would go with a razor knife instead of scissors to make your cut. It can give you a much 'cleaner' cut. If the scissors are sharp and you're cutting the silver tinsel, you can get a good cut with scissors, however. When I trim the larger welt, Grabber Orange or White or Torch Red, etc., I find the razor knife gives me a much sharper edge.

Just a helpful tip...
Old 2/27/07, 09:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Do the pins work with the silver tinsel? It looked like the silver tinsel welt could not take a pin. I'm going to have to take a look this weekend.

Thanks for the tips pitup.
Old 2/27/07, 09:39 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by odiaz
Do the pins work with the silver tinsel? It looked like the silver tinsel welt could not take a pin. I'm going to have to take a look this weekend.

Thanks for the tips pitup.
I clip off the heads of white panelboard nails and send those with my shipments. Home Depot has them...
Old 2/28/07, 03:42 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by pitpup
Mark, Odiaz has got you on the right track. When I ship out welt, I include two connecting pins. One for each door. This well help hide the seam even more....
The pins work great, after I painted it and fit it in place and made the cut I joined it with the pin and then after I put it on the door I left the seam out enough to put a little paint over the joint. you cant see it at all anymore it looks like a solid piece.
Old 2/28/07, 05:43 AM
V6 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I used some round tooth picks as pins when I installed mine.
Old 2/28/07, 02:17 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I've decided! My welts are staying!

Got a lot of feedback from friends that said they looked "factory" so that's good!
Old 3/1/07, 06:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

so they just fit right in the slot...no popping panels or making slits? This seems like a good cheap mod at .50$/yard
Old 3/2/07, 05:55 PM
GT Member

Any luck on the Vista Blue?
Old 3/2/07, 09:08 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by xlayedoutx
Any luck on the Vista Blue?
Check this post:

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showpo...7&postcount=43
Old 3/3/07, 07:42 AM
GT Member

I was charging 0.30 cents a yard for mine.
Old 3/3/07, 10:11 AM
Team Mustang Source

Here's another color combination...
Attached Thumbnails Getting welts!  (Not what you think)-welt.jpg  
Old 3/4/07, 08:34 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Machine
okay...here's another option.

I went to the local Pep Boys and bought some Chrome interior trim. At first I bought 1/8th width ($14 for a 20ft roll), but that proved to be too small. It was too deep into the groove and you couldnt really see it as pronounced as the welts. I used the excess and did some dash trim with it instead.

I went back to Pep Boys and bought the 1/4 width $15 for 20ft, and it's perfect. I'm also considering doing the rear seat panels, too. I'll take some pics and post up soon.

I went this route because I have the non-leather door inserts, non-IUP dash and Black ext paint. The chrome accents the interior nicely. Those of you with colors can scuff the chrome with sandpaper and paint to colormatch.
Do you have any information on the brand/part number you bought? I don't have a PEP boys locally and would need to call first before going there. Also, did you get a chance to take any pictures? Thanks.
Old 3/5/07, 10:09 AM
Bullitt Member

I havent taen pics yet, but here's the info...

Cowles Products Co.

1/4 x20 ft Chrome Interior/Exterior trim
part # S37740
**this is a thick ribbon shape, that you will slide in sideways into a non-IUP door panel.

1/8 x 20 ft Chrome Interior/Exterior trim
part # S33780
**this is what I tried first, but found it to be too thin and sat way too deep in the non-IUP door panel. I used the excess and found it to work perfectly in the seams of a non-IUP dash.

I'll snap some pics later today...
Old 3/6/07, 11:23 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
Thanks to Machine for his find at Pep Boys. I took a ride out there today and got some. The chrome trim worked great. Here's some pics. Not the greatest but you can get the idea. Nice find for non-IUP guys.

And of course while I was there I had to buy something else too!
New BLUE air filter for the C&L. Ignore the dirt, it's winter! LOL!
Old 3/6/07, 03:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got my welt kit from Stan (pitpup).. great cheap little interior mod to bring in some color

Quick Reply: Getting welts! (Not what you think)