05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Getting welts! (Not what you think)

Search this Thread

Old 2/4/07, 03:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Machine
working on it...I think I have a solution using interior chrome trim, but you'd have to paint it various colors.
Keep us updated on what you find. Im very interested in this alternative.
Old 2/5/07, 01:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
okay...here's another option.

I went to the local Pep Boys and bought some Chrome interior trim. At first I bought 1/8th width ($14 for a 20ft roll), but that proved to be too small. It was too deep into the groove and you couldnt really see it as pronounced as the welts. I used the excess and did some dash trim with it instead.

I went back to Pep Boys and bought the 1/4 width $15 for 20ft, and it's perfect. I'm also considering doing the rear seat panels, too. I'll take some pics and post up soon.

I went this route because I have the non-leather door inserts, non-IUP dash and Black ext paint. The chrome accents the interior nicely. Those of you with colors can scuff the chrome with sandpaper and paint to colormatch.
Old 2/5/07, 02:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

I went to the local Pep Boys and bought some Chrome interior trim. At first I bought 1/8th width ($14 for a 20ft roll), but that proved to be too small. It was too deep into the groove and you couldnt really see it as pronounced as the welts. I used the excess and did some dash trim with it instead.

I went back to Pep Boys and bought the 1/4 width $15 for 20ft, and it's perfect. I'm also considering doing the rear seat panels, too. I'll take some pics and post up soon.

I went this route because I have the non-leather door inserts, non-IUP dash and Black ext paint. The chrome accents the interior nicely. Those of you with colors can scuff the chrome with sandpaper and paint to colormatch.
Looking forward to the pics. This may be what I end up doing.
Old 2/5/07, 03:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Can you do the rear side panels? Has anyone done this?
Old 2/5/07, 05:33 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by pitpup
Actually, either Windveil Blue or Silver Tinsel would look good. I'm partial to matching the body color except on Black/Tungsten/Silver cars...
Stan,

Thanks. I look forward to seeing how this is going to look.

Rusty
Old 2/5/07, 05:44 PM
Cobra Member

Man he ships fast. I received them today and got them installed. Silver tinsel on red leather. I'll get pics later and post them.

If you're on the fence about this mod, get off and just order.

-danny
Old 2/5/07, 08:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Does anyone know how much extra is required to go around the rear kick panel inserts in a convertible? I think it would look really nice when the top is down and wouldn't look complete without them. I'm thinking it would be close to 4 feet.
Old 2/5/07, 09:47 PM
Bullitt Member

I'm wondering how the rear panels will look with a red outline in the red leather interior...
Old 2/6/07, 01:54 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by blackstang06
I'm wondering how the rear panels will look with a red outline in the red leather interior...

I think it would look really good if the color of the welt was really close to the color of the red leather in the side door panels. It would help to extend the color theme throughout the entire car since Ford didn't feel like making the rear panels red also.
Old 2/6/07, 06:09 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Glad you found something that works. i have the non-IUP interior also and am very interested in seeing your pics. Do you have a manufacturer & part numbers for this chrome trim? I do not have a PEP Boys near me and might have to check their website or Autozone. Thanks.
Old 2/6/07, 07:38 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by newbreedgt05
Does anyone know how much extra is required to go around the rear kick panel inserts in a convertible? I think it would look really nice when the top is down and wouldn't look complete without them. I'm thinking it would be close to 4 feet.

To date, nobody is doing the back as the welt will not stay in place on it's own. In the front, it just wedges in and you do not need any kind of adhesive. The gap is so big in the back (and the front on non-IUP cars) that the welt would need some help. Spelled 'glue' or maybe double backing tape cut in real thin slits.

I actually came up with a slick way to do the larger welt (anything but silver tinsel) but it all comes back to 'holding it in place' in the back. I know I would not want to stick a glue in there. Others may embrace the idea. I'm not too crazy about it. In my opinion, on a car with the red interior, I would just do the doors in Silver Tinsel and call it a day. But that's just me.

Stan
Old 2/25/07, 12:29 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Here's a few pics of my Dark Charcoal interior GT w/ the Silver Tinsel. I think it accentuates the "aluminum" dash nicely. Thanks to Pitpup for the welting!

Bonus pic of my car as well, just finished washing
Attached Thumbnails Getting welts!  (Not what you think)-dscn4587.jpg   Getting welts!  (Not what you think)-dscn4588.jpg   Getting welts!  (Not what you think)-dscn4586.jpg   Getting welts!  (Not what you think)-dscn4590.jpg  
Old 2/25/07, 01:13 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by 06GT
Here's a few pics of my Dark Charcoal interior GT w/ the Silver Tinsel. I think it accentuates the "aluminum" dash nicely. Thanks to Pitpup for the welting!

Looks really nice Man!!! Mine are sitting on my desk waiting to go on.
Old 2/25/07, 03:14 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 06GT

Looks great, I did the G.O. kit from Pitpup about a month ago and am really happy with it. I just realized I never posted pics of it Ill try to take some today.
Old 2/25/07, 04:39 AM
GT Member

love the new look over stock, adds a little class

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/attach...1&d=1172403441

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/attach...1&d=1172405660
Attached Thumbnails Getting welts!  (Not what you think)-img_0287-640-480.jpg   Getting welts!  (Not what you think)-dcp_3311.jpg  
Old 2/25/07, 01:11 PM

Done Mine. Love my ride even more!!!

http://static.flickr.com/146/402416014_e7c9032af5_m.jpg

http://static.flickr.com/136/402414147_da27150c23_m.jpg

http://static.flickr.com/132/402414026_7000707790_m.jpg

Old 2/27/07, 03:32 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Well, I finally got around to taking some pics. Here they are.
Attached Thumbnails Getting welts!  (Not what you think)-1111.jpg   Getting welts!  (Not what you think)-2222.jpg   Getting welts!  (Not what you think)-3333.jpg   Getting welts!  (Not what you think)-4444.jpg   Getting welts!  (Not what you think)-5555.jpg  

Getting welts!  (Not what you think)-6666.jpg  
Old 2/27/07, 06:14 PM
V6 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I bought some grey welts and painted them silver. I used Dupli-Color Vinyl and Fabric Coating (color code HVP103 vinyl silver). I finally got them installed on Sunday. The silver welts around the red door insert look fantastic.
The people of this website have some great ideas. Someday I hope to have one of them myself.

I hope to be able to take some pictures later this week.
Old 2/27/07, 06:16 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by mustangman1960
I bought some grey welts and painted them silver. I used Dupli-Color Vinyl and Fabric Coating (color code HVP103 vinyl silver). I finally got them installed on Sunday. The silver welts around the red door insert look fantastic.
The people of this website have some great ideas. Someday I hope to have one of them myself.

I hope to be able to take some pictures later this week.
Do you have any pics???
Old 2/27/07, 06:22 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Robbieg
Well, I finally got around to taking some pics. Here they are.
Robbieg... They look great! But I have to make an apology. I noticed that in some places the welt 'sticks out', meaning the fat part is not flush with the door. This is more often the case than not, so this is why I feel I must apologize. Shoulda put a note in with the package.

Easily fixed however! Here's what you do. Pull the welt out and with a pair of scissors, trim about 1/16 (one sixteenth) of an inch off the bottom of the flange. When you do this, the welt will fit flush with the door. If you think it looks good now, just wait until you snip snip and re-install. Luckily it's only a 5 minute job to put the welt back on the doors. Just take your time. It will make a difference. I'll PM you with this in case you miss this post.

Stan

Quick Reply: Getting welts! (Not what you think)