05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Getting welts! (Not what you think)

Search this Thread

Old 1/23/07, 10:51 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have 5000' feet of welt. How much ya need?

After sending 4-5 Mustang folks to Mr. Mikes and most of them getting the cold shoulder, I decided to get into the Welt business my own sweet self. I will be posting pics later on tonight/this week. I have natural colors for Redfire, Torch Red, Windveil Blue, Perf White and a slick little welt called silver tinsel (great for lite IUP). None of these need to be painted. I have premixed bottles of GRABBER ORANGE. I'm working on a Vista Blue. Nothing concrete there. I have something for the Screaming Yellow fans, too,

It takes 80" or 6.8 feet to do one door, so I sell 14' (Two 7' sections). If you want to do the headliner, let me know, I'll include enough to do that, too. The headliner is 48" per side. I'll include two 52" pieces.

The cost for 14' of Grabber Orange or Screaming Yellow is $17, or $21 for 14' PLUS enough to do the headliner. Remember, you have to paint it, but I include the paint! (Working on a Vista Blue...)

For the "standard" colors, $12 for 14', $16 for 14' PLUS headliner. (Standard colors: Redfire, Torch Red, Windveil Blue, Perf White)
For the "silver tinsel", $15 for 14', $19 for 14' PLUS headliner.

All prices include shipping.

PM me here at TMS to get the ball rolling!

Stan

Oh, here's my beast with the GO interior:

Old 1/23/07, 11:39 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can you post pics of the colors on a neutral grey background? I want the silver tinsel for my doors, but may want one of the reds for the headliner.

thx
-danny
Old 1/23/07, 11:39 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Stand by for PM...

How closely does the Silver tinsel match the IUP "Aluminum" dash? Can you take a picture of the two next to each other for comparison please?
Old 1/23/07, 11:50 AM
Cobra Member

Drew,

The Silver Tinsel is an excellent match for the lite (aluminum) IUP...

I will be happy to post pics. I need a day or two. I took them, but had to help the wife last night and could not upload them. What I need is a good Saturday afternoon so I can take comparison shots in natural light. The flash is not getting it done. I'll post what I have, then update the pics when I get some decent 'natural' shots.
Old 1/23/07, 11:59 AM
Cobra Member

Drew, here's a shot of the Silver Tinsel next to the standard 5/32nds welt (Called 180 welt). It's a little smaller, but very classy. This should tide you over.

How about I send you a free sample? I'll extend this offer for anyone thru January 31st, 2007. Just PM me with your address and what colors you'd like to see. PLEASE WAIT A DAY UNTIL I POST THE COLORS. I know you guys are excited. I'm a little behind, LOL. Here's a pic of just the silver tinsel. OTHERS are coming. Please hold PM until Jan 24th. TYVM.

Old 1/23/07, 12:05 PM
Cobra Member

Here is my original thread here on TMS which shows my welt. IN THIS THREAD YOU CAN SEE SILVER TINSEL. Just scroll down to the 15th post. That particular car belongs to one of my Moderators at GrabberOrange.net, Chris (aka CelticNut). Again, I apologize for not being better prepared with the pics. Soon... SOON!

The thread:

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showth...highlight=welt

The pic:

Old 1/23/07, 12:23 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by S197 V6
Can this stuff be painted? And if so how do you think it would look?
Eric,

Yes, you CAN paint it, and while it takes a little effort, the look is tight. I've used acetone on a rag and give it a good swipe or two. This will get all the body oils and mode release off of the welt. You'll want to use acryllic paint. This has a bit of flex (bendable). I prefer to paint the welt as it leaves it with a nice flat finish. When its installed 'as is' (if you have one of the 4-5 more common colors) it looks great, however there is a slight sheen to it. Very slight, but there.
Old 1/23/07, 01:42 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by pitpup
Here is my original thread here on TMS which shows my welt. IN THIS THREAD YOU CAN SEE SILVER TINSEL. Just scroll down to the 15th post. That particular car belongs to one of my Moderators at GrabberOrange.net, Chris (aka CelticNut). Again, I apologize for not being better prepared with the pics. Soon... SOON!

The thread:

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showth...highlight=welt

Sweet, I like it. PM on the way.
Old 1/23/07, 04:21 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
Has anyone done this on a car with the standard/base interior?
I do not have the upgraded interior with the leather panels and the welt just won't work unless I glue it or something. The gap is too big or not deep enough to hold it in place. Anyone tried glueing it or using somekind of silicone adhesive? I am interested in seeing the windveil blue when you have it because I can use it on the headliner and other places.
Old 1/23/07, 05:36 PM
GT Member

pitpup, great idea helping everybody with this. I'll wait to PM you per your request. Just wanted you to know I was interested in the silver. looks like
an easy cool mod. what do you think of doing the headliner? too much or?
I have the all black interior.

thanks,
mitch
Old 1/23/07, 07:20 PM
Queen Of Nascar

Here's silver tinsel on my door..
Old 1/24/07, 11:46 AM
GT Member

Looks good Donna.
Old 1/24/07, 12:25 PM
Team Mustang Source

06GT, if you do it, post some pics. I'd like to see non-ICAP charcoal with the silver piping.
Old 1/24/07, 12:49 PM
Bullitt Member

Here is the red on my GT500 and the Legend Lime on my GT.
Attached Thumbnails Getting welts!  (Not what you think)-trim-004.jpg   Getting welts!  (Not what you think)-trim-007.jpg  
Old 1/24/07, 01:42 PM
Cobra Member

OK, I got a chance to step outside on an overcast day. Natural light, no flast, but zero sunlight. Here is the shot that I think bests displays the AVAILABLE colors (read: no painting). Legend Lime is no longer available but if you wander into an automotive interior place, you MIGHT find some. The two on the right are smaller in size. They still work very well. Just not as BIG and BOLD. The silver tinsel is downright classy. The yellow would look good in a SY Stang. If you wanted the larger welt for SY, you'd have to paint it. Also, the Alloy is NOT black. It is a very dark grey. It would show up on black doors, but it would be very sublte... classy.

OK, here's that pic I promised you yesterday! Then, I'll follow it up with my own custom mixed Grabber Orange!

Old 1/24/07, 01:45 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by garyb900
Has anyone done this on a car with the standard/base interior?
I do not have the upgraded interior with the leather panels and the welt just won't work unless I glue it or something. The gap is too big or not deep enough to hold it in place. Anyone tried glueing it or using somekind of silicone adhesive? I am interested in seeing the windveil blue when you have it because I can use it on the headliner and other places.
I know the welt does not work with the non-IUP. I'm not so sure I'd want to use an adhesive on a new car! I'd like to take a closer look at a non-IUP can and I could tell you what you'd have to do to make it work, if it will work at all.

Stan
Old 1/24/07, 01:47 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by mtchstng
pitpup, great idea helping everybody with this. I'll wait to PM you per your request. Just wanted you to know I was interested in the silver. looks like
an easy cool mod. what do you think of doing the headliner? too much or?
I have the all black interior.

thanks,
mitch
Mitch,

PM me for a sample. Personally, I think the headliner is too much. But, understand this is coming from a guy who wants to have the interior of his Grabber Orange Stang redone in two tone leather with Grabber Orange where the perforated surfaces appear on all four seats. Isn't THAT too much? I say "NO"... Remember, it's what looks best to YOU.

Old 1/24/07, 01:48 PM
Cobra Member

Everyone who requested welt samples thru 8am this morning... your samples went out today!

Stan
Old 1/24/07, 02:30 PM
Cobra Member

Would be interested in the silver tinsel and a co-worker wants the Vista...samples available?
Old 1/24/07, 03:59 PM
GT Member

Oh man. I didn't see that dark gray before.. Do you have a pic of that on a charcol interior?

Quick Reply: Getting welts! (Not what you think)