05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

And Yet another... Shelby Gt500 conversion!

Search this Thread

Old 10/1/06, 02:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Looks soooo sweet ......

Are you going to do the GT500 stripes on the sides?
Looks sharp with thoseFR500 wheels.

You did all the labor? Taking it apart and putting it together?
If you did how did you wire up the fog lights? Did you get the wiring harness
from KC? Also how did you work out that deal with the body shop?
Am looking to save a few bucks now that the kid is on the way.
Did your body shop blend the paint into the fenders?

Appreciate any input you can provide am a hood & some scoops away from
starting my project - rear bumper should be here either Monday or Tuesday
like you.
Attached Thumbnails And Yet another... Shelby Gt500 conversion!-05.jpg  
Old 10/1/06, 05:27 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GTRacerX
Are you going to do the GT500 stripes on the sides?
Looks sharp with thoseFR500 wheels.

You did all the labor? Taking it apart and putting it together?
If you did how did you wire up the fog lights? Did you get the wiring harness
from KC? Also how did you work out that deal with the body shop?
Am looking to save a few bucks now that the kid is on the way.
Did your body shop blend the paint into the fenders?

Appreciate any input you can provide am a hood & some scoops away from
starting my project - rear bumper should be here either Monday or Tuesday
like you.
Yes on the GT500 stripes.... OEM stripes from Kevin. Yes, I did all the labor..... it's pretty self explanitory once you take it apart, it makes more sence. I also purchaced a Ford OEM service DVD Rom... and was able to print out the front and rear end breakdown plans which also helped alot. As soon as you have all the bits and pieces from Kevin, it seems like quite the puzzel, but once you get going it all makes sence.
Yes, i got the GT500 wiring harness from Kevin as well, it's almost a shame because you only use the 2 plugs! I personally just cut them and the black wire sheath up as far as it went (to a split takeoff) You'll know what i mean when you look at the harness.... and just spliced it onto my existing harness. Then i butted up the to black plastic sheaths(overlapping one a little) and electrical taped them neatly together. Sounds butchered but you can't even tell it's a splice because Ford has so much friggin tape on there anyways it blends right in! LOL. At trial fit i thought it was still going to be short, but after installation, it turns out both were perfect!
As far as the body shop deal went.... i have to say i got a decent price because of all the labor saved.... I personally removed my rear decklid, and disassembled it (gas cap, brake light, power trunk latch, etc) and basicly brought it to them ready to lay stripes and clear it.... the other parts, front bumper cover, spoiler, hood) also brought in by me. So basicly they had no body, disassembly to do or re-assembly. Originally i was quoted $1200 for prep, primer, paint, clear, baking and final polishing. After realizing how much of the car they were actually re-painting, i decided it was smarter to just paint on the stripes! So i called and discussedmit with him and i have to say i was shocked to hear him say he would only charge for the additional materials and a small amount for extra labor. He then told me $150 more for the stripes on the parts, and it would be an additional $150 for me to bring in the car and sand, stripe and clear the top of the car. $300 for painted stripes! I was Jazzed!! So that's where i stand now, tomorrow..... rear bumper cover comes. I'll fool with a basic test fit, and bring them the rear bumper and car to paint and stripe the bumper and roof. Then he said he would go over the whole car and buff and polish any problems i find..... so far it's minor typical flaws, which he knows about that we will deal with when the car is there. Sooo.... i guess just find a basic paint price and then bring up the stripes, there really is not that much of an increase due to much of the labor is already being done anyway..... However, laying out the stripes properly, and properly prepping for them is a big deal. Best part is he warrantys the paint job for the life of the car. Can't beat that!
Good luck, and let me know if you have any questions, I'd be glad to help! I think the hardest part has been waiting to drive it untill it's finished!! Nothing like seeing a Shelby run down the street with no rear bumper cover on it..... sexy!
Old 10/1/06, 07:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks for the tips...

Am going to do the same so I can get the stripes painted.
So I'll:

a) remove all the body parts myself: Front Bumper, Headlights, Grille, Wiring
harness, Rear spoiler and bumper.
b) Have all the pieces painted - including stripes.
c) Put it all together myself.

Have enough money left over to buy my Shelby CS67's 18x9.5 for Nov.
When they are released.

Sounds like a plan !!!!

P.S. There is nothing worse than a cobra without its rattler.
Attached Images  
Old 10/2/06, 12:29 PM
The Analog Admin!

Received 3,157 Likes on 2,311 Posts
Very Nice!

Can't Wait fot the Final Results!

kc

Kind of Ironic considering we Had to Beg to Get one Shelby and I have never seen one in the flesh that I started the Gt-500 Conversions.
Old 10/2/06, 12:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks Kevin! Let me know if you are looking for kit parts, I got a guy who will hook you up! LOL! Thanks again, i'm lov'in it so far!!
Old 10/2/06, 03:33 PM
Bullitt Member

just AWESOME IS ALL I CAN SAY ...........................awesome!
Old 10/3/06, 02:54 PM
The Analog Admin!

Received 3,157 Likes on 2,311 Posts
Originally Posted by SurfnSoCal
don't put shelby emblems or the name on your fobra...

"every time a v6 owner puts a shelby emblem on their car, Carol Shelby loses a year off his life".

Please don't help kill Carol
Carroll Does Not Mind if you put Cobra Emblems or Lettering on your car as Long as he gets a Royalty check! As Far as a V6, The Shelby cs6 Opened that up .
Old 10/5/06, 10:52 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow Dave! Your car looks good! You need the GT500 side stripes. I see you got that dent out of your bumper cover.
Old 10/5/06, 06:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks Mangler..... The stripes are being installed as we speak..... The finished product (outside) is due tomorrow! I'll post pix as soon as i get her back. Then it's time to swap out the interior with the GT leather, hopefully sunday.
Old 10/9/06, 09:27 AM
Bullitt Member

OK Dave lets see some pics of that beauty. And what a great deal you got on the paint. Did I mention that I have a Shelby and can get you the side stripe dimensions if you need them That is of course if I read my PM's. Your D#$% buddy. Sandy
Old 10/9/06, 01:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Sandyman
OK Dave lets see some pics of that beauty. And what a great deal you got on the paint. Did I mention that I have a Shelby and can get you the side stripe dimensions if you need them That is of course if I read my PM's. Your D#$% buddy. Sandy
Thanks Sandy, as i replyed to your PM, I went w/ the oem shelby side stripes (you take too long! ) Just kidding. No but seriously, i found out there was a difference, so i just went OEM. I'll have pix up tonite, as i get my car back this afternoon! Now, it's the leather install, then i am researching superchargers!
Old 10/9/06, 07:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Well here are the "finally" pix guys, i barely had time to put these up.... could not get out from behind the wheel! What ya think?!
Attached Thumbnails And Yet another... Shelby Gt500 conversion!-image00007.gif   And Yet another... Shelby Gt500 conversion!-image00006.gif   And Yet another... Shelby Gt500 conversion!-image00005.gif   And Yet another... Shelby Gt500 conversion!-image00004.gif   And Yet another... Shelby Gt500 conversion!-image00003.gif  

Old 10/9/06, 07:02 PM
Bullitt Member

Couple more.....
Attached Thumbnails And Yet another... Shelby Gt500 conversion!-image00002.gif   And Yet another... Shelby Gt500 conversion!-image00001.gif  
Old 10/9/06, 07:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thumbs up Looks ......

soooooooo sweeeeeeet !!!! Can't wait to get my done !!!
Old 10/9/06, 07:07 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks GT..... as you can see, don't sweat that rear bumper, i was laughing w/ my son, i could not believe what's on the back of this car was folded up on my front porch last week . They did a fantastic job!
Old 10/9/06, 08:39 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks outstanding. Where in Illinois are you? I have the gt500 bumper (and some various other parts) sitting in my garage while I try to find a body shop to paint it and the stripes. It looks like whoever did yours did a great job!
Old 10/9/06, 09:07 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
STOUT! Looks great bud.
Old 10/9/06, 09:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Wow! That turned out well. I like the FR500 wheels better than the Shelby wheels.
Old 10/9/06, 09:53 PM
GT Member

Incredible!
Old 10/10/06, 06:38 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

OMG Awesome Looking!!!!!

PS: I also like the FR500 Wheels even better!!!!!

Quick Reply: And Yet another... Shelby Gt500 conversion!