05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

And Yet another... Shelby Gt500 conversion!

Search this Thread

Old 8/30/06, 05:53 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And Yet another... Shelby Gt500 conversion!

Hey Guys, found a few minutes to get this started. Took a few pix of "the before" and can hardly wait for "the after" !! Unfortunately, i am on hold as K/C is awaiting the backorder of front bumper covers before the rest of my parts ship.... so i am trying very hard to be patient!
Picked up the Hood and front chin spoiler from my local Ford dealer last week, and have been staring at the boxes. I figured i would start my own progress thread, as i did not want to crash on others who are doing the same, even tho i am eagerly awaiting their results as well!

First off i want to throw out a big "THANKS!" to Oaklacop (Rob) and 2l8iwon (Jess) for throwin' me a few tips and making me feel at home here on TMS! I knew i wanted to do this mod, but after seeing their results in their threads i got movin! Secondly, I want to throw out a even bigger "THANKS!" to Kevin (K/C) for putting up with about 200 e-mails and phone calls thus far!! LOL! He is a great guy and really knows his stuff... His assembly of my kit both front and rear i am sure will be "complete!"

Lastly, i will note.... yeah, my car is a V6!! So something new here! (first v6 shelby conversion?) Whatever..... I figured maybe it would inspire a few people to do it on their 6ers.

The car is a long shopping story, as i originally had intention of purchacing a 07 shelby gt500, that is untill i found out about the price increases. Needless to say i put that to bed real quick! I then saw this at my dealership and it was put thru their race shop, ford racing wheels and tires, ford racing suspention (car lowered) Duel exhaust w/ JBA mufflers. I could not resist! (plus i got x-plan) I test drove a 07 GT and after comparing the 2 i honestly did not feel that much of a difference! I was sold on the 6! Best part is is it holds insurane down for my son who will start driving this year. (he and i share hobby's together and this is our most recent venture) So all in all it was a win win!

Anyways, here are some pix of the car in it's BEFORE state... I'll post up after i get started w/ some progress pix, and finally the end result!
YES, this will be pretty much a complete "clone" if you will....front to back right down to the cobra emblems... I know, I know, guys but i was originally after the apearance of the shelby to begin with. Performance mods will come over the winter and next spring. No, it won't be a 500HP monster like it's big sister but i'll love it all the same! Here we go.....
Attached Thumbnails And Yet another... Shelby Gt500 conversion!-image00001.jpg   And Yet another... Shelby Gt500 conversion!-image00002.jpg   And Yet another... Shelby Gt500 conversion!-image00003.jpg   And Yet another... Shelby Gt500 conversion!-image00004.jpg  
Old 8/30/06, 06:01 PM
Bullitt Member

A Few More....
Attached Thumbnails And Yet another... Shelby Gt500 conversion!-image00001.jpg   And Yet another... Shelby Gt500 conversion!-image00002.jpg   And Yet another... Shelby Gt500 conversion!-image00003.jpg   And Yet another... Shelby Gt500 conversion!-image00004.jpg  
Old 8/30/06, 06:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks good so far. If you have any problems or hick ups with your front fascia install please post them here since I am right behind you eventually with my change over. I am in the same boat, waiting for parts also.
Old 8/30/06, 06:57 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Shelbywanabe
I test drove a 07 GT and after comparing the 2 i honestly did not feel that much of a difference!
Not flaming here....But, did you press down the gas pedals on both? I have nothing against a V-6 and I've seen quit a few that are well done. But to say that you couldn't feel a difference is a pretty bold statement...I have driven both in stock trim and there is a big difference.

BTW: Good luck on your project and I look forward to seeing what you can do with her.
Old 8/30/06, 06:59 PM
Bullitt Member

Will Do! Altho, i do not anticipate too many problems. I picked up a Ford service manual DVD off e-bay to get the break down pix, looks like it should go pretty smooth.....
Old 8/30/06, 07:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Vegasjay
Not flaming here....But, did you press down the gas pedals on both? I have nothing against a V-6 and I've seen quit a few that are well done. But to say that you couldn't feel a difference is a pretty bold statement...I have driven both in stock trim and there is a big difference.

BTW: Good luck on your project and I look forward to seeing what you can do with her.
I understand, in retrospect i guess your right, keeping in mind, it was a stock GT. When i floored it on the expressway, the front end seemed to want to wander all over the place. The 6er was rock solid. The race shop explained that the race suspention/tires are what gave it the more solid feel over the stock GT. The thing about the 6 i did not like was the responce delay....... But once she wound up, she was off and running! Believe me, had it not been for the mods already done and my son's future insurance, i would have gone GT. This put a smile on my face the same way the GT did. Please don't anyone think i am compairing the 2 cars like that.... I was just impressed with this car.
Old 8/30/06, 07:18 PM
Cobra Member

I understand, in retrospect i guess your right, keeping in mind, it was a stock GT. When i floored it on the expressway, the front end seemed to want to wander all over the place. The 6er was rock solid. The race shop explained that the race suspention/tires are what gave it the more solid feel over the stock GT. The thing about the 6 i did not like was the responce delay....... But once she wound up, she was off and running! Believe me, had it not been for the mods already done and my son's future insurance, i would have gone GT. This put a smile on my face the same way the GT did. Please don't anyone think i am compairing the 2 cars like that.... I was just impressed with this car.
The 6 I drove was no slouch for sure...They are making some realy nice power adder's for them as well, so as your project moves along you should have some nice options open to you.
Old 8/30/06, 07:33 PM
Bullitt Member

The 6 I drove was no slouch for sure...They are making some realy nice power adder's for them as well, so as your project moves along you should have some nice options open to you.
Yeah, I was looking around just today at some of the forums here to see what kind of mods have been done..... I would not mind adding a supercharger down the line, but the prices (OUCH!)
once this conversion is done, I'll start off with a cold air kit and go from there. I got a feeling this car is going to become, well, expensive to say the least. I have been building and flying giant scale R/C for some years now and after tieing up about 8K on my last plane, I decided it was time to find a side track hobby for awhile..... Ohh Geezzz what have i gotten myself into here!!
Old 8/30/06, 08:00 PM
Cobra Member

Ohh Geezzz what have i gotten myself into here!!
You have no idea lol...If you stay on these forums to long you will wish you never added another hobby.
Old 8/30/06, 08:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

Keep us updated!!
Old 8/30/06, 09:25 PM
Bullitt Member

You have no idea lol...If you stay on these forums to long you will wish you never added another hobby.
Yeah, your'e not kidding.... That's how the last hobby got so carried away, The forums for giant scale planes...... Now i find myself doing it alll over again with this, Only full scale! I scared to ask what comes next after this is all thru!
Old 8/30/06, 09:32 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Lokius
Keep us updated!!
Will Do!! As soon as the gear gets here, i'll be on top of it the same day... I have an excellent custom painter lined up, and am told he'll have the parts for 3 days after i test fit, However, i decided i am going to have the stripes painted on since he'll have the front/rear bumpers, hood and rear spoiler anyway, I am kind of hoping he can stripe them at the same time, I figure i'll just remove the trunk deck for him, then he can put all of it in the oven. the only thing i'll have to bring the car in for is the roof stripes. I already have the new door stripes here, but i'll wait to put those on last. Comon' Ford Replenish your stock!
Old 8/31/06, 02:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

sounds good man!
Old 8/31/06, 03:01 PM
I'm people, and I like.

Dave- Looking good so far... love those wheels!
Old 8/31/06, 04:21 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by thezeppelin8
Dave- Looking good so far... love those wheels!
Thanks Zep.... They are Ford racing "Mustang Racing" 18" wheels.
Those will stay... as i feel they are close in resemblence to the Shelby stock wheels. (I actually like them better) One less expence!

Hey, i would love to see a pic of yours (car) I noticed your avatar!! Looks sweet!
Old 8/31/06, 04:31 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

don't put shelby emblems or the name on your fobra...

"every time a v6 owner puts a shelby emblem on their car, Carol Shelby loses a year off his life".

Please don't help kill Carol
Old 8/31/06, 04:31 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

and FYI, that "race suspension" is just GT parts on a V6.
Old 8/31/06, 05:09 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by SurfnSoCal
don't put shelby emblems or the name on your fobra...

"every time a v6 owner puts a shelby emblem on their car, Carol Shelby loses a year off his life".

Please don't help kill Carol
Why not? It's not like ol' Carroll has many years left anyway...
Old 8/31/06, 05:10 PM
I'm people, and I like.

Thanks Zep.... They are Ford racing "Mustang Racing" 18" wheels.
Those will stay... as i feel they are close in resemblence to the Shelby stock wheels. (I actually like them better) One less expence!

Hey, i would love to see a pic of yours (car) I noticed your avatar!! Looks sweet!
Yea man, those wheels are awesome! I also like them more than the GT500's

Ah yes, my avatar... That's my Aston Martin V8 Vantage that's parked inside of my dreams
Sorry to dissapoint
Old 8/31/06, 05:11 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by mrkabc
Why not?

Quick Reply: And Yet another... Shelby Gt500 conversion!