05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

And Yet another... Shelby Gt500 conversion!

Search this Thread

Old 8/31/06, 05:12 PM
I'm people, and I like.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SurfnSoCal
don't put shelby emblems or the name on your fobra...

"every time a v6 owner puts a shelby emblem on their car, Carol Shelby loses a year off his life".

Please don't help kill Carol
Don't encourage people...
Old 8/31/06, 05:20 PM
eci
Banned

Originally Posted by SurfnSoCal
don't put shelby emblems or the name on your fobra...

"every time a v6 owner puts a shelby emblem on their car, Carol Shelby loses a year off his life".

Please don't help kill Carol
What about the CS6?
Old 8/31/06, 05:30 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Shelbywanabe
Will Do!! As soon as the gear gets here, i'll be on top of it the same day... I have an excellent custom painter lined up, and am told he'll have the parts for 3 days after i test fit, However, i decided i am going to have the stripes painted on since he'll have the front/rear bumpers, hood and rear spoiler anyway, I am kind of hoping he can stripe them at the same time, I figure i'll just remove the trunk deck for him, then he can put all of it in the oven. the only thing i'll have to bring the car in for is the roof stripes. I already have the new door stripes here, but i'll wait to put those on last. Comon' Ford Replenish your stock!
Dave, Glad to hear you are getting started. My situation was much like yours as far as the stripes being painted. I was having the front bumper and hood done anyway, so it was cheaper to go ahead and do the stripes then. Good luck and let us know if you have any questions.

In reference to the shelby emblems...........I say go for it. I didn't personally do it on my car, but if Mr. Shelby and Ford have a problem with it then lower the F$%^&*# price over sticker on the real ones!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They have a 500 in downtown Oklahoma City right now that stickers for $45,000.....They said they won't take less than $35,000 over sticker. I hope they choke on the SOB. Ok I'll stop now. Good luck again with the conversion Dave. You are going to love it!!!!!
Old 8/31/06, 05:32 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by eci
What about the CS6?
what about it? Its was built BY SHELBY
Old 8/31/06, 05:37 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by thezeppelin8
Don't encourage people...
lol ok
Old 8/31/06, 08:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by OKLACOP
Dave, Glad to hear you are getting started. My situation was much like yours as far as the stripes being painted. I was having the front bumper and hood done anyway, so it was cheaper to go ahead and do the stripes then. Good luck and let us know if you have any questions.

In reference to the shelby emblems...........I say go for it. I didn't personally do it on my car, but if Mr. Shelby and Ford have a problem with it then lower the F$%^&*# price over sticker on the real ones!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They have a 500 in downtown Oklahoma City right now that stickers for $45,000.....They said they won't take less than $35,000 over sticker. I hope they choke on the SOB. Ok I'll stop now. Good luck again with the conversion Dave. You are going to love it!!!!!
Hey Rob, good to see you here! When you had your stripes done, did they put them on before you actually installed the painted parts?? I still have to call my painter and see how he (and if he will) do it this way. I'm wondering if you are severely risking an alighnment problem?
I figure after i test fit everything, i'll pull it all off (including the trunk lid) and have him stripe it while he paints it.... do they just center everything and use a continuous stripe dimention?

Yeah, i agree on the markup thing.... Get this! When i went to pick up my hood and chin spoiler from my local dealer, the parts guy was pretty interested in what i was doing, both he and the owner requested that i bring the car in to show them when it's all thru. I thought that was pretty cool. anyways, while we were on the subject of shelby's or is it fobra's? he told me they had one in a few weeks ago, and it sold for OVER 100K!! Well, that pretty much made me feel like what i was doing was completely aceptable! Like i said earlier, I originally was ready to pop for one of those babys untill i found out about the mark-ups..... Hey, good for them, if there's $ to be made for a rare car, i say go for it! But in the end i just wanted that old school look, and i felt (MY OPINION!) the shelby version pulled it off best.... Sooo, if i can get a replica, clone, poser, wanabe, fobra ???? what ever you want to call it, for a third of the price and wind up in the end what i was after anyway........ well you get where i'm goin! Let 'ol carrol take it as a compliment!

Ohh! Might i add, my user name pretty much covers it! LOL!!
Old 9/1/06, 11:10 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well I do have mixed emotions about it.......If there is money to be made then I say make your money, but don't abuse it....ya know. But I guess the consumer who is willing to pay those prices is just as much to blame.......oh well.

About the stripes, Here is how my car was done. I was going with a new hood, front bumper and spoiler. I should also note that my rear bumper never really matched, so they repainted it for me as well. They repainted my rear bumper and spoiler the base color then scuffed my trunk lid. Next they made their measurements and painted the stripes on those pieces and cleared them. Next they scuffed, striped, and cleared the top. The last thing they did was paint the hood, and front bumper, then striped them, then cleared them. This all occurred over a weeks time. each time they painted a section they baked it in the booth. They would have just done the stripes all at once, but they broke it up over the weeks time because of other projects they had going. They did a great job and I am very pleased with the finished product.
Old 9/1/06, 11:38 AM
Bullitt Member

I thought those fr500s didnt fit an 05+?
Old 9/1/06, 11:52 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by OKLACOP
Well I do have mixed emotions about it.......If there is money to be made then I say make your money, but don't abuse it....ya know. But I guess the consumer who is willing to pay those prices is just as much to blame.......oh well.

About the stripes, Here is how my car was done. I was going with a new hood, front bumper and spoiler. I should also note that my rear bumper never really matched, so they repainted it for me as well. They repainted my rear bumper and spoiler the base color then scuffed my trunk lid. Next they made their measurements and painted the stripes on those pieces and cleared them. Next they scuffed, striped, and cleared the top. The last thing they did was paint the hood, and front bumper, then striped them, then cleared them. This all occurred over a weeks time. each time they painted a section they baked it in the booth. They would have just done the stripes all at once, but they broke it up over the weeks time because of other projects they had going. They did a great job and I am very pleased with the finished product.
So Rob, when they layed out your stripes did they do it with the parts on the car first? To line them all up? Or.... did they just center up everything piece by piece and after it was installed it pretty much just all lined up? I just hoping i don't have to take the car and leave it there untill i get the top done alone, everything else will be brought in by hand.
Old 9/1/06, 11:54 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by caligrn
I thought those fr500s didnt fit an 05+?
I dunno.... they were on the car when i bought it. The dealers race shop put them on.... Pretty much what caught my eye when i saw the car.
Old 9/9/06, 02:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Out with "the New" in with "the New!"

Well, after getting a call from k/c yesterday letting me know my front bumper cover has been shipped, I figured i would get underway..... it's not much but i figured i would post up my progress..... Hood is on and in the test fit process, awaiting the new front bumper and grills for alighnment before paint.

I did find that i am going to need a new hood latch (not sure of the part name) but it is the steel bar under the hood that catches on the latch..... Obviously, the stock one is too tall not alowing full closure of the hood (even tho technically the hood is latched closed right now. No big deal however it is glitch #1. I'll call Kev on monday and have him throw that out to me if it's not already inclusive of his kit.
The Bummer to this was my wife coming home and saying...."i like the flat one better!" Arrrggg...... this is going to be a long conversion till i can finally inpress her . Ohh well, i've got the end result embeaded in my mind and i can't wait!
Attached Thumbnails And Yet another... Shelby Gt500 conversion!-image00001.gif  
Old 9/9/06, 03:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Out with "the New" in with "the New!"

Well, after getting a call from k/c yesterday letting me know my front bumper cover has been shipped, I figured i would get underway..... it's not much but i figured i would post up my progress..... Hood is on and in the test fit process, awaiting the new front bumper and grills for alighnment before paint.

I did find that i am going to need a new hood latch (not sure of the part name) but it is the steel bar under the hood that catches on the latch..... Obviously, the stock one is too tall not alowing full closure of the hood (even tho technically the hood is latched closed right now. No big deal however it is glitch #1. I'll call Kev on monday and have him throw that out to me if it's not already inclusive of his kit.
The Bummer to this was my wife coming home and saying...."i like the flat one better!" Arrrggg...... this is going to be a long conversion till i can finally inpress her . Ohh well, i've got the end result embeaded in my mind and i can't wait!

Dave, I have a GT500 and a GT, and I just went to the garage and measured the latches for you. They are identical, so I suggest you adjust your hood stops. The little rubber 6 sided things. That should get you there. Oh and about the 500 and the GT, everything I have was given to me on a silver platter. I never worked a day in my life.
Attached Thumbnails And Yet another... Shelby Gt500 conversion!-shelby.jpg  
Old 9/9/06, 05:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Sandyman
Dave, I have a GT500 and a GT, and I just went to the garage and measured the latches for you. They are identical, so I suggest you adjust your hood stops. The little rubber 6 sided things. That should get you there. Oh and about the 500 and the GT, everything I have was given to me on a silver platter. I never worked a day in my life.
Huhh, Interesting...... Keep in mind, i doubt it matters but i have the v6, I wonder if its different on the v6? It just seems a mile away as you can see in the picture. The hood is actually latched as you see it pictured! Hummm, I'll have to look at it again.

Ohhh as far as the gt500 and the GT what can i say but your a D@$k!!
Just kidding! I'm just too cheap to pop all that $ right now, who knows when they (if they) ever drop to MSRP maybe i'll pop for the real deal.... untill then i'l just remain a wanabe
Old 9/9/06, 05:39 PM
Bullitt Member

The tape measured right at 3" from underneath the hood to the bottom of the latch. I put my deposit on the Shelby last October with a signed contract for MSRP. The dealers were not as smart then as they are now. And, this is the last time I will help a poser. J/K
Old 9/9/06, 05:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Looking good, cant wait to see the full conversion in black
Old 9/9/06, 06:03 PM
Bullitt Member

uote=Sandyman]The tape measured right at 3" from underneath the hood to the bottom of the latch. I put my deposit on the Shelby last October with a signed contract for MSRP. The dealers were not as smart then as they are now. And, this is the last time I will help a poser. J/K[/quote]

O.k. Now that i feel like a complete fool asfter coming out of the garage..... My hood was never completely latched. The Gt fog bumper is preventing it from closing completely..... Once the grill is out i can see it is going to close perfectly. I used to have to drop the hood from a shallow height to fully close it, once i put the gt500 hood on, i did not try to close it hard... it just clicked.... which of course was only the release latch grabbing it. Duhhh.... o well, at least all is good. Once i get the GT grill off it'll close fine. I just assumed the latch was different. One less part to buy!
Man, you got that bad boy for MSRP Huhhh.... now i really think you truly are a D#$k!!! LOL! ......JK! Thanks man for taking the time to measure those for me! Dave
Old 9/9/06, 06:07 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Lokius
Looking good, cant wait to see the full conversion in black
Thanks Lokius, it aint' much but it's a start..... At least it got me started on this Clone Jones! Yeah, I agree, It's going to really look sweet in black, I'm going with the performance white racing stripes too.... I think they stick out a little nicer than silver stripes..... They'll be painted on as well.
Old 9/9/06, 06:23 PM
Bullitt Member

uote=Sandyman]The tape measured right at 3" from underneath the hood to the bottom of the latch. I put my deposit on the Shelby last October with a signed contract for MSRP. The dealers were not as smart then as they are now. And, this is the last time I will help a poser. J/K

O.k. Now that i feel like a complete fool asfter coming out of the garage..... My hood was never completely latched. The Gt fog bumper is preventing it from closing completely..... Once the grill is out i can see it is going to close perfectly. I used to have to drop the hood from a shallow height to fully close it, once i put the gt500 hood on, i did not try to close it hard... it just clicked.... which of course was only the release latch grabbing it. Duhhh.... o well, at least all is good. Once i get the GT grill off it'll close fine. I just assumed the latch was different. One less part to buy!
Man, you got that bad boy for MSRP Huhhh.... now i really think you truly are a D#$k!!! LOL! ......JK! Thanks man for taking the time to measure those for me! Dave[/quote]

If I had not had a signed contract, it wouldn't be in the garage. They would have backed out like so many others have had happen to them. Oh well, the silver platter and luck are just great. And Dave, you are very welcome, any time. Good luck with your project and I look forward to pictures. Great that you are working with your son.
Attached Thumbnails And Yet another... Shelby Gt500 conversion!-finished-002.jpg   And Yet another... Shelby Gt500 conversion!-legend-lime-l-003.jpg  
Old 9/9/06, 07:02 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good luck with your change over! Waiting for my bumpers also. Can't wait to see your car done.
Old 9/10/06, 06:52 PM
Bullitt Member

Go for the Shelby Emblems if you want it's YOUR car!

Quick Reply: And Yet another... Shelby Gt500 conversion!