05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

New **PICS** of my GT v.ScottDrakeHoodPins

Search this Thread

Old 3/11/08, 06:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by retfr8flyr
Hi Ron,
I just ordered a set of your locking pins today. I am replacing the Shelby GT set and wanted to know if you thought the fit would be ok using the Shelby bracket for the pins.

Earl
Hi Earl,

I've only seen the brackets in pictures, but I believe it should work fine. I'm working on an adjustable bracket design myself. Thank you so much, let me know how the install goes. I'm out of the Country this week, but will get your kit in the mail no later than Saturday. If you have any questions please send me an email through HoodPins.net.

Thank you again,

Ron

Last edited by formula98; 3/11/08 at 06:21 AM.
Old 3/11/08, 08:06 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks for the additional tips guys and the pics on blue stangs too, they look good as I thought they would! I bought some new drill bits last night so hopefully in the next couple days I'll get on it. New baby in the house so motivation when he's resting is hard to come by.
Old 3/11/08, 08:23 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Chrome Vs. Black billit

Originally Posted by 06GT
All those cool pictures of your stang with hood pins
Hey 06GT,

Love the hood pins. With my Tungsten with black stripes I was planning on getting the Shelby Black Billit hood pin kit.

Any thoughts from anyone else on Chrome vs. Black?
Old 3/11/08, 09:10 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by SeanD
Sonic V8,

Did the hoodpin sit flush on your hood? The other gut (06GT) had problems with the Shelby pins in the same location.

I like the outside location, but would like to see someone else who has used the Shelby pins also.

I like the pins from hoodpins.net, especially the locking ones, as there is no lanyard needed.

Sean
Sean,

They do sit flush pretty well considering that I really was limited on where I could put them 'cause of the style hood I have. I can't complain on the outcome of the install at all. I'm very happy with them and get tons of compliments on the turn out.
Old 3/12/08, 01:17 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Tungsten Bullitt
Hey 06GT,

Love the hood pins. With my Tungsten with black stripes I was planning on getting the Shelby Black Billit hood pin kit.

Any thoughts from anyone else on Chrome vs. Black?
I'd get the black if the scuff plates rest inside the stripes--that way they're "stealth". If they're going to be mounted in a Tungsten section, then I'd go with the silver ones.
Old 3/12/08, 07:21 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by 06GT
I'd get the black if the scuff plates rest inside the stripes--that way they're "stealth". If they're going to be mounted in a Tungsten section, then I'd go with the silver ones.
I was just checking it out and it looks like it would be split 50/50 where the stripes are.

I'm torn and can't decide.
Old 3/12/08, 08:05 PM

Hmmmm...pics of your car?
Old 3/13/08, 09:19 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Here is Eleanor! I think I was looking at the wrong post when I was figuring where the hood pins would be placed. They might be on the outside of the black. I took the radiator cover off today to so some cleaning in the engine compartment and saw that my original location was wrong. Let me know what you think!
Attached Thumbnails New **PICS** of my GT v.ScottDrakeHoodPins-img_0065_1.jpg  
Old 3/13/08, 10:13 PM

Yeah, they'll definitely fall outside the black. I vote for the bare aluminum look.
Old 3/13/08, 10:17 PM
GT Member

You wouldn't want them that close together in the first place if you wanted them in those stripes! I'd also say either will work. Black will go with the stripe theme and bare will go good with the tungsten.
Old 3/17/08, 06:12 PM
Bullitt Member

Hey those tha installed these, were the bracket's the same? Both mine have an L on them. I assume they are reversable?

Last edited by Cowtown; 3/17/08 at 06:15 PM.
Old 3/17/08, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Cowtown
Hey those tha installed these, were the bracket's the same? Both mine have an L on them. I assume they are reversable?
Yeah, I noticed that on mine as well--they're reversible.
Old 3/17/08, 06:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Thumbs up

very SWEET ride !! Job well done !!
Old 3/20/08, 12:58 PM
Bullitt Member

I'm hopefully going to look at doing these tonight or getting started anyways since the weather will be so nice this weekend. What drill bit did you guys use to do the hole for the pins and what did you use for the pilot holes?

I was thinking 3/8" for the pin holes.
Old 3/20/08, 03:13 PM

I'm hopefully going to look at doing these tonight or getting started anyways since the weather will be so nice this weekend. What drill bit did you guys use to do the hole for the pins and what did you use for the pilot holes?

I was thinking 3/8" for the pin holes.
For the pilot holes, we mounted the brackets and poles in place on the radiator support. Then we dabbed acrylic paint on the tops of the poles and pressed the hood slightly into the poles--the paint transfer shows where the approximate contact area will be.

Do note that the holes on the bottom side of the hood will be slightly elongated since the hood travels through an arc as it closes.

I believe we used a 1/8" drill to do the pilot holes through both sides of the hood. We then used a dremel w/ a carbide bit to enlarge the pilot hole bit by bit until the poles could come cleanly through both sides of the hood.

Don't worry about getting the hole perfectly round (at least on the top of the hood), as they will be covered up by the striker plates.
Old 3/20/08, 03:17 PM
Retired Tms Staff

I used marking chalk, a 1/4" bit for the pilot hole and then a step up bit to get the final size.
Old 3/20/08, 05:56 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks guys, I'll start working on it in a bit. I'm kind of annoyed there wasn't any kind of instructions for this thing.
Old 3/20/08, 06:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks guys, I'll start working on it in a bit. I'm kind of annoyed there wasn't any kind of instructions for this thing.
I had to call to get them...
Attached Files
Old 3/21/08, 12:43 AM
Bullitt Member

Shouldn't have to ask, that's ridiculous. I also have a bone to pick with those screws for the striker plate. I broke 2 off as well despite knowing about the pitfalls, it just happens regardless. Not a stress free install by a mile but they're on now. I have to replace 2 of the screws tomorrow and finish mounting the radiator cover tomorrow and slightly tweak the height of the passenger side post but that's about it.
Old 3/21/08, 01:07 AM
Bullitt Member

06GT if you get a chance post your lanyard routing pics since you said you changed where they went. I like how mine are but I noticed in my last couple pics I have one coming through 3rd bar down on my billett grille and the other side 4 bars down, doh! Ah well at least it's not all back together so no biggie to adjust quickly tomorrow.