05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

New **PICS** of my GT v.ScottDrakeHoodPins

Search this Thread

Old 2/28/08, 07:11 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KrisHorton
How nice are the scuff plates? Check out www.hoodpins.net he's got some REALLY NICE plates. Pricey, but stylish at least. My basic plates look like crap these days.
I purchase those and they are getting installed right now by the body shop. This set has a very clean look. I went with the lock version not because I needed them, but rather the pin version didn't have the cables attached and I can just see some punk stealing the pins for chit and grins. I'll get some pics when I get the car back.
Old 2/29/08, 06:25 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
here are Steeda pins w/out cables. I had them custom installed
Attached Thumbnails New **PICS** of my GT v.ScottDrakeHoodPins-cimg2343.jpg  
Old 3/2/08, 06:05 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just installed my hood pins today. I have to admit they were a pain to install. Cutting the hole for my shaker was easier than drilling holes for the pins. Although I marked the holes using chalk, they were off a bit so I had to elongate (sp??) the holes. Then a few screws snapped when installing the plates. Ends up there is a bar inbetween the 2 layers of the hood that the screws just kept touching. Ugh, what a day. At least they are finally installed.
Old 3/2/08, 09:07 PM
Bullitt Member

I still am waiting for some time and a nice day to put these in. What did you do about the snapped screws?

And yeah I like how these pins lock in place, I drove a GT-H down in Vegas in December out to the Shelby plant and I was always having to **** around and put one of the pins back into place, I don't even want to imagine what it was doing when it was flopping around.
Old 3/3/08, 03:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Bump
Old 3/7/08, 05:21 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Cowtown
I still am waiting for some time and a nice day to put these in. What did you do about the snapped screws?

And yeah I like how these pins lock in place, I drove a GT-H down in Vegas in December out to the Shelby plant and I was always having to **** around and put one of the pins back into place, I don't even want to imagine what it was doing when it was flopping around.
I snapped one of the screws while installing...just twist it back out with a set of pliers (vise grips are preferred, take off the hood pin plate for best access, if necessary), then go to home depot and get a pack of #6 x 1/2" Pan-Head STAINLESS sheetmetal screws (see attachment). They're exactly the same and cost around a dollar for a 6-pack. DO NOT get the non-stainless versions, unless you like rust.

To prevent the "snapping", first (obviously) make sure you've drilled your holes all the way through. Then, when installing the screws, if they start to bind up before they are fully seated, reverse them out, then screw in until they bind again, then back them out again...repeat until seated. This effectively lets the sheetmetal screw tap its own hole. If you don't back it out when it binds, you'll snap the head off.
Attached Thumbnails New **PICS** of my GT v.ScottDrakeHoodPins-dsc05410.jpg  

Last edited by 06GT; 3/7/08 at 05:44 PM.
Old 3/7/08, 05:24 PM

And Cowtown, these pins don't flop around at all!

The delrin bushings that go in under the plates keep the pins in place while driving, even under vibration--just make sure you adjust the poles so that they pins are snug when they slide in (require the hood to be pressed down slightly to be inserted/removed).

You'll probably spend at least 30 mins adjusting the heights of the poles. You can duplicate the height on the second side by noting the number of threads protruding on the side you adjusted first--this will at least get you in the ball park.

Last edited by 06GT; 3/7/08 at 05:25 PM.
Old 3/7/08, 05:28 PM

Also, I re-routed the lanyards the other day, to match the Shelby GT locations--so they are no longer coming directly through the grill. Looks better, IMO. Pics tomorrow or Sunday after I get back from my next HPDE day.
Old 3/8/08, 03:11 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Clark Kent
would I be able to install the hood pins out more? Like more so over the headlights?
I installed my Scott Drake/Shelby pins in the outtermost OEM hole and after cutting the holes, realized they don't sit flush at all I like the location, but the result sucked! Well, I got an OEM hood(silver)for $75 and will move them to where 06GT did his and get it painted.

Old 3/8/08, 03:52 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
kool so didi you install them where the hoodstops are? I have a cali dream hood and was thinking of installing them there. What are the problems does it just not ssit flush? do you think there is anyway to correct that? I dont really want to install them in the middle with my hood it will look odd. Any help would be great from everyone.
Old 3/8/08, 08:56 PM

kool so didi you install them where the hoodstops are? I have a cali dream hood and was thinking of installing them there. What are the problems does it just not ssit flush? do you think there is anyway to correct that? I dont really want to install them in the middle with my hood it will look odd. Any help would be great from everyone.
I'm guessing the plates don't match the curvature of the hood at his locations
Old 3/9/08, 12:30 PM
GT Member

Got my car back on Friday with pins installed and hood re-painted.. Turned out pretty good. Here are couple of pics to show off the pins:

Old 3/9/08, 01:39 PM
V6 Member

great job,keep up the good work. mitch
Old 3/9/08, 03:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Sonic V8,

What hood pins are those? Are they from hoodpins.net? Can you post a shot of the pin under the hood?

I saw this setup yesterday at the Detroit Autorama on FRPP's GT500 and thought it looked good. they used the FRPP pin though which kind of sucks.

Sean
Old 3/9/08, 09:23 PM
GT Member

Sean,

Yes those are the pins from hoodpins.net. I'll get better pics when the weather breaks. The quality is superb on these pins. You can see it and feel the quality. Nothing was cut short. If you have any ?'s, talk to Ron.. He has been great to deal with and went out of his way to show me (literally put a PDF drawing together) where to put the pins on the custom hood I have on the car.
Old 3/10/08, 07:28 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

I dont think I'm going to be able to get a camara anytime soon. I thought I'd be able to borrow one but not for awhile. But looking at KoolDawg's photos I'm glad I didn't go with those pins which have a preset groove for the pin itself.

With my GTS2 hood and most likely your Cali hood your not going to want something which once you drill is going to permanently fix the angle location of the pin. I had to play with mine so that the pin would set flush with the hood.

I had to angle out the holes to follow the curvature of the hood. With the standard Shelby pins since the base is just a flat stainless steel plate I could do any type of adjustments I needed. With the ones pictured thats not possible(correct me if Im wrong) since the base has that groove in it.
Old 3/10/08, 08:22 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Sonic V8,

Did the hoodpin sit flush on your hood? The other gut (06GT) had problems with the Shelby pins in the same location.

I like the outside location, but would like to see someone else who has used the Shelby pins also.

I like the pins from hoodpins.net, especially the locking ones, as there is no lanyard needed.

Sean
Old 3/10/08, 01:53 PM

Hi Guys,

I have a few questions for you. I designed and sell the Hoodpins.net hood pins. Lately I have been getting a great deal of my orders from the Mustang groups. I have had great feedback and it has prompted me to work on a version just for the Mustang. I see the questions about the angles and understand your dilemma. What would you like? I have been racking my brain on a design that works with the angle, but looking at the pictures above the pin is at a drastic angle and creates a problem. One of my thoughts was to make a set with the angle of the hood or a possible shim that compensates for the angel. I'm going to open up the through hole on the base so it is not a problem with the pin going through the hole, but I see the pin angel with the clip and would like to come up with a way to compensate. I could redo the pin it self with the correct angle also. If there is anyone in the Grand Rapids Michigan area with a late model Mustang that would like to bring his/her car over so I can work out a design I would donate a free set of the finished pins when all is said and done.

That said, I have adjustable pins in my locking kit that make the locking pins much easier to install. I also have plans to update that version in the future. I have the Locking pins in black now with a chrome lock in the center. Any questions you can email me from the hoodpins.net site and I’ll also follow this thread.

I want to personally thank you guys for the feed back and look forward to creating a design just for your needs.

Thanks,

Ron
Old 3/10/08, 10:32 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi Ron,
I just ordered a set of your locking pins today. I am replacing the Shelby GT set and wanted to know if you thought the fit would be ok using the Shelby bracket for the pins.

Earl
Old 3/11/08, 05:40 AM
GT Member

I found there is a fix for my problem All I have to do is rotate the scuff plate about 45 degrees and redrill the screw holes and the pins should sit flat.