Aftermarket 2005+ Mustangs Discuss the Offerings from Roush, Saleen, Steeda, Shinoda, and Others

Will the Shelby be available to the Public?

Search this Thread

Old 4/6/05, 12:57 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just got off the phone with my local SVT dealer (Brandon, FL Ford). I tried to make a deposit on the Cobra to get on "a waiting list".... But the dealer just laughed. He said they only plan on getting 2-3 and that people that work there already want them...

I want one really really bad.... but i will not pay more than MSRP. Will i be able to get one?
Old 4/6/05, 02:11 PM
The Mustang Source FOUNDER

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
You might be out of luck if you refuse to pay more than MSRP.
Old 4/6/05, 02:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

OK, stupid question: I've been looking online at the different Ford dealerships to email about getting on a waiting list. Some say SVT and some say SVT Focus. Does the SVT Focus tag on the dealer mean they only deal with the SVT Focus and won't get any other SVT product?
Old 4/6/05, 02:49 PM

That is correct
Old 4/6/05, 03:06 PM
Cobra R Member

Good luck. wont be many of them, and I am sure they will get a premium price.
Old 4/6/05, 03:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Haha, I emailed a few dealers to put me on the list if they aren't going to have an ADM. I emailed them instead of calling so I wouldn't hear them laugh!!!
Oh well, had to try. Guess I'll have to settle for something else or wait another year.
Old 4/6/05, 03:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Look guys, don't get all discourage and impatient. This is what the dealers want. That way they can take advantage of you. This is exactly what was going on with the Ford GT. So some knuckle heads went out and paid $300K for them :notnice: I said all along the Ford would not hold that premium and now you can get them on ebay for about $205K by the end of this year it will be under $200K.

With the volume that they will be producing, premiums will not last. Don't get psyched out!! If you buy on emotion, your scr--d.
Old 4/6/05, 03:59 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by KGSGT350@April 6, 2005, 4:32 PM
Look guys, don't get all discourage and impatient. This is what the dealers want. That way they can take advantage of you. This is exactly what was going on with the Ford GT. So some knuckle heads went out and paid $300K for them :notnice: I said all along the Ford would not hold that premium and now you can get them on ebay for about $205K by the end of this year it will be under $200K.

With the volume that they will be producing, premiums will not last. Don't get psyched out!! If you buy on emotion, your scr--d.
Amen.

The hype is what will drive the price of this car up. I assure you, Ford and the smarter dealerships are watching this board. If they see people freaking out over prices, they are going to raise them. Once the initial demand dies down (I think about 1 year), the price will be fine. I really don't think any idiots are going to pay 20 or 25K over unless it is production #1 or something like that. There probably will be a couple of fools pay 10 over in the first 1 or 2 months. Then it will die down to MSRP by the end of the 1st year, maybe even some discounts.

If you have trouble with a dealership remind them of the number of '03 and '04 leftovers they had. If they still don't come down, go somewhere else. You'll find someone willing to take your MSRP. You just may have to wait a little longer.
Old 4/6/05, 04:08 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 342 Likes on 215 Posts
Originally posted by KGSGT350@April 6, 2005, 4:32 PM
... This is what the dealers want. That way they can take advantage of you...
Exactly. Those who wish to be the first will most likely pay premiums or at the very least MSRP, unless the dealer is reasonable or perhaps knows you and appreciates your frequent business.

As it is, there will be a year wait. What's a few more months? You can always pay premiums towards the middle or end of the production run if you decide you don't want to risk missing out on it. Remember, the GT500 is setting a new standard. Whatever follows it will not have any less performance because it would be deamed inferior.

BTW, how many times have you walked out of a dealer without buying only to receive a call from the the salesman or sales manager a few hours later or the next day asking you to come back and work things out?

Common sense always prevails. You rush it and you will get nailed.
Old 4/6/05, 04:17 PM
GT Member

And why not wait for a year, the GT has already had recalls. Let Ford get the bugs out and pay a fair price in late 2007.
Old 4/6/05, 05:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Wolf@April 6, 2005, 4:20 PM
And why not wait for a year, the GT has already had recalls. Let Ford get the bugs out and pay a fair price in late 2007.

The only thing that kept me from buying an 05 Stang was the upcoming cobra/now GT500 and that doesn't even come out till next year. The wait would've been rough, but it would've given me time to pay off my current vehicle.
Now to hear of the limited production/price gouging, I dunno if I have the patience to wait much longer. It's not something I'm good at. I would never pay over MSRP, so I'll probably get an 06/07 GT, or a used Vette unless there's some other development.
Old 4/6/05, 06:15 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Once again the old "It's not fair" price gouging thing comes up... Sigh.

Although, I do wonder what would happen if, oh, say people were to increase the price of a Vente Latte in Italy due to the swell in tourists/pilgrims, or "market adjust" the PS3 (whenever it comes out) just before Christmas...

And how dare someone auction off, say, a one of a kind item such as (if this ever happens) THE Lightsabre used by Samuel L. Jackson playing the part of Mace Windu...

/Actually, I'd think that Palpy's would be worth much more...

//I'll say it again. Perspective. Although the Latte thing really is not right... and the PS3 wouldn't ever happen... would it?
Old 4/6/05, 07:59 PM
GT Member

From the Ford GT web site:

Q. We hear that some dealers are already charging higher than sticker price for the vehicle. Does Ford encourage dealers to sell at any particular price?

A. Federal law requires manufacturers to provide an MSRP for every vehicle. Under dealer franchise agreements and state law, manufacturers cannot control the selling price of a vehicle. Dealers modify vehicle prices, either higher or lower than MSRP, based on market conditions and customer demands.Certainly, the new Ford GT is in high demand. The price a dealer gets reflects the value a customer finds in a vehicle and is willing to spend.

If you want specifics on what dealers can and cannot do in regards to price, you should contact the National Automobile Dealers Association (NADA).
Old 4/7/05, 12:20 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by houtex@April 6, 2005, 8:18 PM
Once again the old "It's not fair" price gouging thing comes up... Sigh.

Although, I do wonder what would happen if, oh, say people were to increase the price of a Vente Latte in Italy due to the swell in tourists/pilgrims, or "market adjust" the PS3 (whenever it comes out) just before Christmas...

And how dare someone auction off, say, a one of a kind item such as (if this ever happens) THE Lightsabre used by Samuel L. Jackson playing the part of Mace Windu...

/Actually, I'd think that Palpy's would be worth much more...

//I'll say it again. Perspective. Although the Latte thing really is not right... and the PS3 wouldn't ever happen... would it?

Price gouging happens in almost all sectors of the business world. Have you ever tried getting a bite to eat at the restaurants around Time Square after midnight on New Year's Eve? Gouge CITY. $15 for a piece of pie. $22 for a burger ($4 for cheese). $5 for a cup of coffee... man, I wish I took a picture of that menu. Ever wonder why gas price go up during the holidays and in the summer? Because OPEC knows people drive more during Christmas and the summer. It all rest on how much the public will put up with it. The restaurant I was talking about was packed with an hour wait! The more we put up with, the more they'll charge.

Unfortunately, the Shelby isn't a common item like a hamburger. The smaller the number of a coveted product and the larger the demand, the easier it is for a business to find stinkers. In this case, they may only have find around 7500 stinkers with cash to blow. Not too tough in a country of over 330 million people. This is when having personal friendships with salesman/managers/dealership owners really pays off.
Old 4/7/05, 12:32 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Is not this price gouging thing eleagle ? like ok we just had a major earth quake and now the local grocer wants to charge outta the world price for what food they have left kinda thing its just wrong. So don't buy into it let the maket settle down then look ? :scratch: :nono:
Old 4/7/05, 01:07 AM
Mach 1 Member

We live in a free market society. People can charge as little or as much as they want for a product.

In an emergency situation, a relief organization like the American Red Cross would step in to supply food/shelter/clothes to the afflicted. I doubt you would have to worry too much about grocery shops marking things up. It would be monumentally detrimental to their reputation in the community. People have a way of remembering who kicks them when they're down and after the disaster is over, that business would probably go broke.
Old 4/7/05, 09:25 AM
Team Mustang Source

In many places, it is illegal for stores to raise their prices on essential goods after a major desaster, such as an earthquake or a hurricane. However, there is no desaster going on here, and this car is certainly not an essential item. There is nothing stopping the dealers from charging whatever they want for the car except what someone is willing to pay for it. If someone is willing to pay an astronomical amount for the car, then the dealer can charge that much.
Old 4/7/05, 10:10 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Its just outragous what they will do ! ah they'll walk into a place and want something someday and it will get back to haunt them I hope.
Old 4/7/05, 02:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

With all the Jay Leno types and dealership owners taking the first few shipments, I would hazzard to guess half to three quarters of the production will be available to us the general consumer. I would love to have one of these cars, but I also refuse to pay over sticker on it. I'll let someone else do that, they want/or need it worse than me. I would however pay sticker and that would be the first time ever.

Now, this is strange to say but, in defense of the dealers. If your house was for sale and you marked it up 25,000 over market value and someone was willing to pay it. I would say none of us would say oh no pay the 25,000 less the house just isn't worth it.

It is all in what the market will bear, if people are willing to pay it then more power to them and the dealers.
Old 4/7/05, 03:07 PM
GT Member

I remember being told by my local dealer that they were only going to get three '03 Cobras.

And later that year they had 30 on the lot at one time.

Hype, hype, hype. It's a Ford. Nice one, but still a Ford, and 7500 is a lot of cars. How many times do we have to experience something before we'll remember it?

Quick Reply: Will the Shelby be available to the Public?