GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

"What I wish they made" thread...

Search this Thread

Old 2/8/07, 08:38 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by tom281
Hey GPStang06, long-time / no-talk; how you been?

Regarding the dashpad, I remember back in the early '90s when I managed a highend audio/video shop and the IROC Z28's were still around and popular from the mid to late '80s...... There was a company (that I can't remember the name) who manufactured replacement dashpads that came prepped with a center-channel speaker opening in the middle of the new pad. We used to combine the new pad with the early generation DSP units that were available, and it was a pretty slick sounding and looking deal. You literally unbolted the stock dashpad (just a bunch of 7mm bolts), installed the new speaker(s) in the new pad, and bolted the new one in place.

That's what I picture for these cars- the long, flat panel reminds me (eek!) of the Z28s of that era and I could see how easy it would be to yank it and install the revised model with the gauge pods molded into it. I like the idea of the CDC three-gauge pod, but it just looks tacked on. I wouldn't mind that same pod, just molded into the pad to look like factory. That, IMO, would be kickass.

Hey Tom, yea been a while, having a rough time at work these days, been real busy. I haven't even had time to call the body shop, my aftermarket parts are probably ready for install by now.

I wonder how hard it is to mold a dash.

I suppose it wouldn't be to hard to get a factory one, maybe locate a totaled stang?
Old 2/8/07, 09:14 PM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GPStang06
Hey Tom, yea been a while, having a rough time at work these days, been real busy. I haven't even had time to call the body shop, my aftermarket parts are probably ready for install by now.

I wonder how hard it is to mold a dash.

I suppose it wouldn't be to hard to get a factory one, maybe locate a totaled stang?

That's what I'm going hunting for tomorrow. I wanna get this in the works.
Old 2/8/07, 10:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

before you do that, think about what is involved in the install. I dont wanna bust your ***** or anything but its gonna be hard to sell something that involves a 10hr install for a guage or two
Old 2/8/07, 11:10 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by SteelTownStang
I posted this several times... A bolt-on/taped on/screwed on(whatever) rear diffuser similar to the look of the GT/CS, without replacing the entire bumper.
street scene man.
Old 2/9/07, 12:32 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MTAS
This, for the rear of the car obviously, just like the picture. Key hole covered and everything And for less than $150 - if you make it, the sales will come and your R&D time will be recouped In fact, I have one that I'd be happy to send to you as a reference for scaling up if you'd put me at the top of the pre-order list!
Man, and I thought we got it close enough when we got this one done...
Paint the SS bolts black, use the black emblem instead of the red, and I think it's there - knocking off the original exactly is a hard thing to do, considering the trunk is not the same, you have to incorporate the arcs and the dowels, the keyhole, etc... plus it is under 150.00
Attached Images  
Old 2/9/07, 03:41 AM
Cobra R Member

Plus it KEEPS the keyhole.
Old 2/9/07, 06:14 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by SilverHorseRacing
Man, and I thought we got it close enough when we got this one done...
Paint the SS bolts black, use the black emblem instead of the red, and I think it's there - knocking off the original exactly is ahard thing to do, considering the trunk is not the same, you have to incorporate the arcs and the dowels, the keyhole, etc... plus it is under 150.00
That SilverHorse badge is pretty kickass if you ask me....... nice!
Old 2/9/07, 06:15 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by cruisin
before you do that, think about what is involved in the install. I dont wanna bust your ***** or anything but its gonna be hard to sell something that involves a 10hr install for a guage or two

Really ten hours to remove the dash pad? I don't mean to doubt you or sound sarcastic, that just seems like alot of time.......
Old 2/9/07, 09:07 AM
GT Member

As an extreme commuter, 160 mi. round-trip a day, I find my left elbow spends alot of time on the unpadded window sill. What I wouldn't give for a padded sill... maybe the same material Ford uses on the passenger and driver doors around the arm rest? Seems like a piece that an aftermarket mfg. could come up with. Maybe attach with strips of 3M tape?
Old 2/9/07, 09:12 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by MrMojo1953
As an extreme commuter, 160 mi. round-trip a day, I find my left elbow spends alot of time on the unpadded window sill. What I wouldn't give for a padded sill... maybe the same material Ford uses on the passenger and driver doors around the arm rest? Seems like a piece that an aftermarket mfg. could come up with. Maybe attach with strips of 3M tape?
Search ebay i actually saw a leather armrest cover pad thingy. search for "05 mustang leather" youll see it.
Old 2/9/07, 11:48 AM
GT Member

If I'm to be saddled with this TPMS nonsense, then I'd like it to actually be functional and show me what each individual tire pressure is. In fact, I wholeheartedly second the idea of making all gauges actually READ instead of being glorified idiot lights.

I wouldn't mind a redesigned center console with properly placed cupholders, better ipod integration than the Aux jack (is it too much to ask for some kind of flip out holder?) and a boot on the e-brake.

I'd like the rear view mirror moved up out of my line of sight.

I'd like a shifter that feels better than the stock unit but doesn't run 250+.

I'd like lower profile side mirrors, perhaps like on a Fox body, but it'd be sure nice to be able to fold them.

I'd like for Mac to finally get off their asses and start making Prochambers with cats again so I can finally put my longtubes on.

I'd like some camber adjustment plates that don't run 200 beans.

I'd like some kind of cover for the strut towers.
Old 2/9/07, 12:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by GoFaster
I'd like lower profile side mirrors, perhaps like on a Fox body, but it'd be sure nice to be able to fold them.
Amen. Forgot about that one.

In this modern age of narrow parking spots and careless pedestrians, ALL cars should have folding mirrors......and in fact, many new cars do now...so why ain't Ford waking up on that?

My last car had folding mirrors, and it was great because I never had to worry about accidentally ripping them off on a parking-garage post, or having them broken by some other event.

Plus they made me feel better when I covered the car, knowing they weren't sticking out vulnerable under the cover incase someone brushed against the car by accident. Maybe I'm nitpicking, but it's one of those peace-of-mind things.
Old 2/9/07, 12:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Really ten hours to remove the dash pad? I don't mean to doubt you or sound sarcastic, that just seems like alot of time.......

Sorry I didnt mean literally 10hrs. I just think its something you should look into before investing the R&D. There are a lot of people out there that dont seem to want to do thework themselves and they look at things like that. Me sure I dont mindJust check the workshop manual quick.
Old 2/9/07, 12:57 PM
Former Vendor

I'm willing to do it. I got a good body guy that can make the mold after we're done the prototype. This wouldn't be that hard a deal.

CR
Tillman Speed
Old 2/9/07, 01:08 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
A Watts linkage for the rear suspension like the PJ/Saleen Mustang...
Old 2/9/07, 01:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

Sorry I didnt mean literally 10hrs. I just think its something you should look into before investing the R&D. There are a lot of people out there that dont seem to want to do thework themselves and they look at things like that. Me sure I dont mindJust check the workshop manual quick.
Agreed. I'm not an experienced mech, but I like to do the work myself. However my 'Stang is my only car and daily driver, so I can't afford to tear apart things that will take hours to handle...especially if my confidence in getting it back together is low.

I keep thinking I should get a set of rep manuals for my 'Stang, but my last car's set cost me nearly $300, and I rarely used them. Probably would use them more for the 'Stang since I fiddle with it, but $300+ is a lot of money to spend when I could just torture you folks for free!
Old 2/9/07, 01:30 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Ok, gotcha. We're on the same page....
Old 2/9/07, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by freebass55
Back to the gauges, I would like a set where the RPM and MPH gauges are switched. The RPM on the right side where it should be.

I want this so bad. I want to buy the Shelby gauges but have heard that it's "technically" against the law, to do that cause it will reset your mileage on your car. I love the way the Shelby gauges look and want some just like it except for the GT, especially since I just picked up a set of Cobalt gauges. PLEASE make this happen!!!!!

And other grille options for the Shelby front bumper, maybe a billet grille.

I love the way some of Cervini's hoods extend out further and would love to see more of those in more styles but that can be used with the Shelby front bumper.
Old 2/9/07, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by dr awesome
I wish they made a little light that blinked when you were getting passed by a Camaro. But they would have to make it out of a bulb that could be in use all the time.

Also, a Cookie Machine?

:gay:
Old 2/9/07, 02:01 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey STS, what don't you like about this one? http://www.lmperformance.com/5917/73.html
Nice find Tom

Quick Reply: "What I wish they made" thread...