GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Sound under acceleration...

Search this Thread

Old 2/4/06, 10:05 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Redfire 05Gt @ February 2, 2006, 9:01 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I definitely agree it's probably detonation. As for Shell, my third last fill up was for the first time ever at a Shell in Blaine, WA and I almost immediately had the gas gauge intermittently konk out and numerous CELs. My tuner since advised me to avoid Shell gas like the plague. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img] He recommends Chevron or Petro-Can [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/canada.gif[/img] Car is scheduled to go in to get thinks checked out.

I would suggest a tank of 89 or 91 and see if it helps.
[/b][/quote]

where do you get your car tuned?
the guy that sold me the car said stay away from any ethanol mixed gas. Chevron is his first choice.
Old 2/4/06, 12:14 PM
Team Mustang Source

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nonsensez9 @ February 4, 2006, 9:08 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
where do you get your car tuned?
the guy that sold me the car said stay away from any ethanol mixed gas. Chevron is his first choice.
[/b][/quote]
I've used Shell a lot in the past in this and other vehicles and no problems until now. I think it's more than likely station specific.
My tuner, whose #1 pick is Chevron, also says avoid ethanol blended.
On the flip side of my tuner's distaste for Shell, my motorcycle shop recommends Shell as their #1 choice.

So, what's wrong with ethanol blended?
[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img]
Old 2/5/06, 12:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Redfire 05Gt @ February 4, 2006, 11:17 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

So, what's wrong with ethanol blended?
[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

apparently ethanol abosrbs water - which may induce premature corrosion. I have to bear in mind that my car salesman used to run a Chevron station. After telling me all this, he promptly took me to a Shell station to fill up while there was a Chevron station two blocks down the road. The dealership prolly had an account at the Shell - just across the street.

Anyways... I don't live anywhere near a tuner, but get to Vancouver from time to time. Which tuner do you use? thanks.
Old 2/5/06, 02:11 PM
Cobra R Member

Here in arizona (valley at least) we have no choice in blends. Its either 10% ethanol for 6 months or 15% mtbe for 6 months. For performance our local tuner recommends mobil gas because it doesnt have many cleaners in it. He still recommends chevron for daily use but the many cleaners and additives in it keep him from advancing the timing by a couple degrees