GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Kenne Bell SC Does Not Disappoint

Search this Thread

Old 2/4/06, 10:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
On a night where the heavy fog in San Diego played havoc with traction at times (as well as the air density), my car still performed pretty well. The main purpose of the night was to get some real live track testing info with the baseline tune we have in it (although having fun was a big part of the night too).

Like I said, the fog caused some slick track conditions at times, but when it hooked up, it felt very good. It pulled nice and hard all the way, and the shifting was firm, but not violent. Adam has this thing running pretty darn good, considering we're still on an 8# pulley, with a "safe" pump gas tune, and we really haven't had much chance to spend any time on the dyno. In the coming weeks, we will continue to work together to up the boost and nail the tune even better. Adam is going to make this thing kick hiney!!

Before I went to the track, my personal goal was to get into the 7's (remember, this is an 1/8-mi track). I was not disappointed. After a tire-spinning, no-traction first run, my second pass (hot lapped just minutes after the first run) resulted in a timeslip showing 7.980sec @ 86.37mph (with a 60' time of 1.828). Woohoo!! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/hyper.gif[/img] And after all was said and done around midnight, I ended up with three runs in the 7.90s and four runs in the 7.80s. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]

The best run of the night was 7.859 sec @ 87.72mph (~12.20 in the 1/4-mi). The 60' time on this run was 1.790 (which is not too bad for an auto trans with a stock convertor). And in the brackets, this thing was deadly consistent. I was dialed in at 7.89 and ran 7.895 and 7.899 in winning the first two rounds. In the Semis, the slick track bit me and I spun the tires bad. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banghead.gif[/img]

So all in all, I'm very pleased with the results from last night. We are very close to my goal of hitting the 11-sec zone (i.e., <7.70 in the 1/8), and I am confident that we will get there in the near future.

My friend Ed was there and took some videos for me... Thanks Ed!!... so I'll get those posted up later today. He also went for a ride on one pass (and got some in-car video).
Old 2/4/06, 10:28 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great to hear Don!! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/woot.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/flag.gif[/img] You are deadly consistent and you always have been, that is what I lack...Any tips besides seat time to achieve stellar results such as yours... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img] I have the basics down, I just have a hard time "getting in the grove" consistency wise.
Old 2/4/06, 10:54 AM
Mach 1 Member

Very nice job Don [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]

Good Luck and keep us informed,

The Boss Hog
Old 2/4/06, 10:56 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Don,
Outstanding numbers and very consistant. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img] You'll be deadly when you get it all dialed in. Just imagine what she will do with a good track and air conditions. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/drool.gif[/img] Waiting on the vids!!!
Justin,
I know that Don W. is a good driver and that auto trans just helps more. I can't remember what trans your car has? Manual trannys are definitely tougher be be consistant with IMO. Just wait until your pumped up on Saleen power!!! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img]
Scott
Old 2/4/06, 11:03 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Nice times Don! Urges to buy supercharger....getting stronger!!
Old 2/4/06, 11:56 AM
Cobra Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(70MACH1OWNER @ February 4, 2006, 9:59 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Don,
Outstanding numbers and very consistant. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img] You'll be deadly when you get it all dialed in. Just imagine what she will do with a good track and air conditions. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/drool.gif[/img] Waiting on the vids!!!
Justin,
I know that Don W. is a good driver and that auto trans just helps more. I can't remember what trans your car has? Manually tranny are definitely tougher be be consistant with IMO. Just wait until your pumped up on Saleen power!!! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img]
Scott
[/b][/quote]

Yeah, Im a manual...It's like when I go shooting. I can group 7 out of 8 in a size of a quarter but I alway's have a "flyer" thats an inch and a half out or more... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banghead.gif[/img] If I could just "find my groove".
Old 2/4/06, 01:49 PM

Thanks guys... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]

FYI, I just posted the videos in the Drag Racing Forum: http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?showtopic=44238
Old 2/4/06, 01:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Nice track times Don,

Since my tuner is still waiting for his software update, I wanted to ask if your car is having any throttle pull back problems between shifts? Between the 2-3 shift it feels like hitting the brakes in my car...

I have noticed that several tuners do not seem to be having any problems dealing with the increassed hp and the auto shifting pattern...
Old 2/4/06, 02:17 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Great vids Don,
Been waiting all week. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/drool.gif[/img] Did my heart good to see you take that Chevelle and EL Camino. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img] Look like the burnouts come a little easier now. You need to get those line locks. Can't imagine you could have much rear brakes left.
Scott [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img]
Old 2/4/06, 02:20 PM

No problems at all on the shifts, Jeff. Adam is getting a pretty good handle on it. He's an auto tranny expert, but new to SCT tuning. His background was with Diablo. But, he is definitely learning the ropes of the SCT software. Earlier this week, the trans was shifting kinda soft, so I called him and told him what it was doing. He e-mailed me a new xtr file, and the end result for the trans was pretty close to perfect, IMO. The only thing we need to work on is a bit of the throttle lag, but it's really not that bad.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(70MACH1OWNER @ February 4, 2006, 1:20 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Great vids Don,
Been waiting all week. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/drool.gif[/img] Did my heart good to see you take that Chevelle and EL Camino. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img] Look like the burnouts come a little easier now. You need to get those line locks. Can't imagine you could have much rear brakes left.
Scott [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

LOL... yea, I need to get off my butt and get the line locks for sure. And I gave the M/Ts a good workout last night too. haha
Old 2/4/06, 04:48 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Blazing Saddles @ February 4, 2006, 3:22 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Put that car on a well prepped 1/4 track [/b][/quote]

All I need to do is find one of those I guess... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banghead.gif[/img]

Thanks George. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 2/4/06, 05:45 PM
Bullitt Member

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img] Nice runs concidering the damp conditions Don. Are you planning on any of the FFW or NMRA events? I am heading to the drag section now to check out the victories. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banana.gif[/img]
Old 2/4/06, 05:49 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rhoover2 @ February 4, 2006, 4:48 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img] Nice runs concidering the damp conditions Don. Are you planning on any of the FFW or NMRA events? I am heading to the drag section now to check out the victories. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banana.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

The only FFW event on the west coast is in Fontana, usually October. NMRA doesn't even come close to the west coast... I wish it did. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/crying.gif[/img]
Old 2/4/06, 05:53 PM

Very nice, I knew it could be done. I didn't expect for it to do so well or so consistent on the first couple of runs though, that just goes to show two things: 1) you can drive well, 2) your car is tuned nicely. Good luck with getting your times even lower, I think there is a lot left in it.
Derek [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 2/4/06, 11:15 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dhof303 @ February 4, 2006, 4:56 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Very nice, I knew it could be done. I didn't expect for it to do so well or so consistent on the first couple of runs though, that just goes to show two things: 1) you can drive well, 2) your car is tuned nicely. Good luck with getting your times even lower, I think there is a lot left in it.
Derek [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

Thanks, Derek. Even though the car has a solid tune in it, I agree that there is definitely more left in it. Adam believes in taking "baby steps" when tuning, so we're going to sneak up on it. There's no reason to rush and do something dumb. There are NO other KB-blown automatics out there (not even a KB test mule, that I know of), so we're kind of breaking new ground and learning as we go.
Old 2/4/06, 11:39 PM
V6 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(don_w @ February 4, 2006, 5:51 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
All I need to do is find one of those I guess... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banghead.gif[/img]

Thanks George. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

Don are you just dropping the clutch and doing a brake stand to warm the tires? I get my MTs this week and will be out at our track friday and want to burn out correctly.
Thanks
Old 2/4/06, 11:47 PM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(don_w @ February 5, 2006, 1:18 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Thanks, Derek. Even though the car has a solid tune in it, I agree that there is definitely more left in it. Adam believes in taking "baby steps" when tuning, so we're going to sneak up on it. There's no reason to rush and do something dumb. There are NO other KB-blown automatics out there (not even a KB test mule, that I know of), so we're kind of breaking new ground and learning as we go.
[/b][/quote] All i can say is me and my blue,[ little sister] are very happy for you and the our big sister blue.
Old 2/5/06, 04:22 AM
Legacy TMS Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(speco2005 @ February 5, 2006, 12:42 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Don are you just dropping the clutch and doing a brake stand to warm the tires? I get my MTs this week and will be out at our track friday and want to burn out correctly.
Thanks
[/b][/quote]

Don has an automatic. I believe he does his burnouts in 2nd gear.
Scott
Old 2/5/06, 05:21 AM

Very nice Don.

I'm sure with a little more tuning and better weather conditions it would be in the 11's.
You've just made the Kenne Bell vs Saleen decision a little harder for me [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Kenne Bell SC Does Not Disappoint