GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Sound under acceleration...

Search this Thread

Old 2/2/06, 09:28 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I accelerate hard, once I reach 4500-5000 RPM, there is a slight rattle that sounds like it is coming from the engine. Think a few BB's in a tin can, and very faint. Incidentally, my '98 GT did exactly the same thing under hard acceleration.
Old 2/2/06, 09:32 PM
Cobra R Member

Detonation? possible bad gas. Running a bad tune (if u have a tune)

I know the older mustangs had a problem with detonating when the MAF's got really dirty.
Old 2/2/06, 09:37 PM
Cobra Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fazm @ February 2, 2006, 10:35 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Detonation? possible bad gas. Running a bad tune (if u have a tune)

I know the older mustangs had a problem with detonating when the MAF's got really dirty.
[/b][/quote]

Well, I am not running a tune. I use QT gas, which is supposedly a top tier fuel, so I thought it would be okay. Perhaps I should run something like Shell for a few weeks and see if it goes away. Any other thoughts anyone?
Old 2/2/06, 09:58 PM
Team Mustang Source

I definitely agree it's probably detonation. As for Shell, my third last fill up was for the first time ever at a Shell in Blaine, WA and I almost immediately had the gas gauge intermittently konk out and numerous CELs. My tuner since advised me to avoid Shell gas like the plague. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img] He recommends Chevron or Petro-Can [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/canada.gif[/img] Car is scheduled to go in to get thinks checked out.

I would suggest a tank of 89 or 91 and see if it helps.
Old 2/2/06, 10:08 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Redfire 05Gt @ February 3, 2006, 12:01 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I definitely agree it's probably detonation. As for Shell, my third last fill up was for the first time ever at a Shell in Blaine, WA and I almost immediately had the gas gauge intermittently konk out and numerous CELs. My tuner since advised me to avoid Shell gas like the plague. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img] He recommends Chevron or Petro-Can [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/canada.gif[/img] Car is scheduled to go in to get thinks checked out.

I would suggest a tank of 89 or 91 and see if it helps.
[/b][/quote]

I realize that most of us think that dealers are retards, but it wouldn't hurt to take it in...

Shell is a top tier gasoline brand, one of about (only) a dozen brands to achieve that lofty status... I use it, 100% problem-free. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img]
Old 2/2/06, 10:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(smedin @ February 2, 2006, 9:11 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>Shell is a top tier gasoline brand, one of about (only) a dozen brands to achieve that lofty status... I use it, 100% problem-free. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

+1... I only use Shell 91 V-Power (can't get 93 here [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banghead.gif[/img] )
Old 2/2/06, 11:29 PM
FR500 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(don_w @ February 2, 2006, 9:17 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
+1... I only use Shell 91 V-Power (can't get 93 here [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banghead.gif[/img] )
[/b][/quote]

+2 I've used only Shell gas (91) since I got the pony 9/04 and no probs here at all!
Old 2/2/06, 11:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

I agree.....slight detonation......mine doesn't do it but the Crown Vic's I drive sure do. A combination of cheap city gas and poor maintenance on our 4.6's.
Old 2/2/06, 11:33 PM
FR500 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wild stray @ February 2, 2006, 10:32 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
+2 I've used only Shell gas (91) since I got the pony 9/04 and no probs here at all!
[/b][/quote]

Different parts of the country receive different winter blends, so it might be a local, seasonal thing.
See what a different brand does for you. I agree it's prolly detonation though.

Paul
Old 2/3/06, 06:47 AM
Team Mustang Source

I get it the same thing at WOT, but it is random for me. I've only been using Shells 93 octane v-power for a while now. If it was detonation wouldn't I get some codes about the knock sensors? It only happens when the C&L and 93 octane tune are installed, never with the stock airbox and tune. How can I tell if this is damaging the engine?
Old 2/3/06, 07:07 AM
Mach 1 Member

Just a thought, but are you sure the rattle is coming from the engine? There are a ton of posts in the Issues sub-forum about dash rattles.

My dash started rattling about 1000 miles ago. It only happens under acceleration, and is worse in cold weather. At first I thought it was something rattling in the engine, but now I'm pretty sure it's coming from somewhere in the dash.

The sound you describe certainly sounds like detonation (pinging), but that has a distinct sound that you can't make a mistake about. My '95 GT pinged a lot, especially when the MAF got dirty, and the rattle in my '05 is definitely not pinging.
Old 2/3/06, 07:16 AM
Cobra Member

I absolutely agree that Chevron is good gas...problem is there is none to be found in the KC Metro area. All we have around here is a Shell, BP, Conoco, QT, Phillips 66, and Texaco (along with a few others). Do you think Texaco would be about the same as Chevron since they are both products of Chevron-Texaco?
Old 2/3/06, 08:08 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KansasCityTim @ February 3, 2006, 12:31 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
When I accelerate hard, once I reach 4500-5000 RPM, there is a slight rattle that sounds like it is coming from the engine. Think a few BB's in a tin can, and very faint. Incidentally, my '98 GT did exactly the same thing under hard acceleration.
[/b][/quote]

I also have a sound similar to this. Mine doesn't sound like it's coming from the engine, it sounds like it's right below the shifter.

It does it the worst when it's cold outside. Very metallic, hollow sounding. like 2 plates of metal vibrating together, it also seems to do it at about 2500 rpm

I thought I had this fixed months ago.... I like many others was missing 2 bolts from the bell housing. The dealer said they replaced them. The sound seemed to go away. But now it seems to be back.

I'm worried about the possibility of the sound being ping.

Could someone describe in more detail what ping sounds like? I've never known what it was, and I'd hate to be driving around oblivious to my engine eating itself.

thanks
Old 2/3/06, 08:18 AM
Bullitt Member

+1 for Shell. 92 octane is available here, never had a problem.
Old 2/3/06, 09:01 AM
Cobra Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pittperson @ February 3, 2006, 7:50 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I get it the same thing at WOT, but it is random for me. I've only been using Shells 93 octane v-power for a while now. If it was detonation wouldn't I get some codes about the knock sensors? It only happens when the C&L and 93 octane tune are installed, never with the stock airbox and tune. How can I tell if this is damaging the engine?
[/b][/quote]

If the pinging only happens with the 93 octane tune, then the timing is probably a little too advanced, or your A/F ratio is off. I'd have your tuner to pull a couple degrees of timing out of the tune and reload it and see if the pinging stops. You can't easily see any damage any pre-ignition is doing, but it is a warning. You could also add some octane booster to your fuel and see if that stops the pinging. If it does, then the timing is probably the culprit.

My stock '99 GT pinged when it was hot and humid outside on 87 octane. If I stepped up to 89 it didn't ping.
Old 2/3/06, 07:54 PM
Cobra Member

Well, I basically ran her dry and went and put some Shell in the tank. Problem solved. The sound is gone. I won't be buying anymore QT gas.
Old 2/3/06, 08:01 PM
GT Member

I also have used Shell gas in my GT never had a problem, I also use it in my other car without a problem. Don't understand why someone would say not to use it. You may have got some moisture in your tank, try some heet additive.
Old 2/3/06, 09:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bloody Guts @ February 3, 2006, 9:11 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
It does it the worst when it's cold outside. Very metallic, hollow sounding. like 2 plates of metal vibrating together, it also seems to do it at about 2500 rpm[/b][/quote]
Ok, I think we have enough members experiencing this now to start complaining to Ford...[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif[/img]

I have the same thing. It sounds like two thin pieces of metal vibrating against each other very rapidly. Mine happens between 2900-3100 RPM. I don't think it's detonation because it ONLY happens at that range. Sometimes, I can get the sound to last a bit longer if I stop accelerating quickly right when the sound starts and then very slowly accelerate through that range.

It almost seems like some harmonic unbalancing issue, because I kinda feel the whole car vibrate a little around that range. I don't know though, I'm not good at pin pointing these things. I had a squeaky differential and thought it was coming from the front wheels.
Old 2/3/06, 09:25 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Something else to ponder. I tried a Chevron gas in a bran new rebuild 302 Clevland and it knocked , so I had it removed and put Shell in and it ran as smooth as silk ! Some of the older stations and newer ones depending on how thier tanks were laid to rest could deveople a condensation problem , thus some not consistant combustion. I always get mine from the same places and Never Ever had any problem, so good to know where you shop . [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 2/4/06, 07:22 AM
Team Mustang Source

Interesting, the shell station that I get my gas from is pretty old, I wonder if condensation is the cause of the random pinging.

Quick Reply: Sound under acceleration...