GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

SLP LOUDMOUTH install pix, video, everything.

Search this Thread

Old 5/14/05, 07:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NICE CAR!! I really like the lime with the flat black stripes!

I also love the cold morning starts in a garage... LOUD.

And SLP says that they are 50 state legal.... my first smog comes up in 4 years I think, I'm not gonna sweat it. Besides, I am seriously considering getting an off road pipe until my smog test, then changing it back..... But then, thats just me, and I like crazy loud.
Old 5/15/05, 06:55 AM
V6 Member

Originally posted by emperorjordan@May 14, 2005, 7:45 PM
NICE CAR!! I really like the lime with the flat black stripes!

I also love the cold morning starts in a garage... LOUD.

And SLP says that they are 50 state legal.... my first smog comes up in 4 years I think, I'm not gonna sweat it. Besides, I am seriously considering getting an off road pipe until my smog test, then changing it back..... But then, thats just me, and I like crazy loud.
I think I should note that there might be a difference between street legal and emissions legal. In Illinois, any modification to the stock exhaust that makes the car louder is illegal. However, IMO the car should still pass emissions as long as you havent messed with the CATS. The mufflers just muffle the sound, they dont mess with the vapors. I could be wrong.

David
Old 5/15/05, 12:23 PM
AJC
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by pumpkinhead+May 14, 2005, 2:25 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pumpkinhead @ May 14, 2005, 2:25 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>-SNIP--A few things I've noticed:

1) After 3-4 days they seem to break-in a bit. Maybe just a tad mellower than the first 5 minutes I had them. Could of course be me breaking-in to the SLPs and getting used to them too. They really are "just-right" in my book. Not too loud.
[/b]

I have noticed this too. They have quieted down after driving a couple of hundred miles

Originally posted by pumpkinhead@May 14, 2005, 2:25 PM
2) Does seem to be a slight subjective power gain. But it is slight at best.
I felt this too.. I am convinced there was a slight improvement.

3) They are clearly a bit louder when the car is cold. Nothing better than a cold start in the garage with my co-workers around. They just drool.
For me they seem alot louder - although I am starting up the car in my garage which is like a giant sound box.

4) No drone problems in my book. I do notice there is a "spot" right at about 2000 RPM when you are tipped in on the throttle that a resonnance it quite perceptable. But at any other RPM its just not there, and again a few days go by and you get more and more used to it.
I Agree.. Drone goes away at 2000 rpms the longer you have them on the car.

5) The WOW factor is huge. I already had almost every stranger at every gas station gawk. But now it is every stranger and their dog. Seriously, the compliments just roll in.
No complaints from anyone.. although the car does seem to turn more heads when cruising by or accelerating. And I have had quite a few people at stoplites start conversations about the car now.

<!--QuoteBegin-pumpkinhead
@May 14, 2005, 2:25 PM
6) I would add that I had the SLPs installed at a professional muffler shop. The shop manager told me in no uncertain terms the system would NOT pass Missouri inspection (good thing my current one is valid for 2 years!). Of course, he said you can always try to find some rural gas station that needs an extra $20. But that any reputable inspector would fail me. Apparently MO law requires the presence of a "muffler"....and these resonator tips DO NOT qualify. Might be worth double checking in your state despite the 50 state claim SLP makes.
[/quote]

I did it myself. It wasnt too bad. Wasnt too bad lining them up. I recommend getting under there and checking the clamp bolts. They may loosen up at the clamps as the pipes expand and contract while they break in. Alignment of the pipes (drivers side)may slip slightly too. After three checks, very slight alignment adjustments and tightening them each time, mine are fine now.

[attachmentid=21245]
Old 5/16/05, 12:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by hazedav@May 15, 2005, 5:58 AM
I think I should note that there might be a difference between street legal and emissions legal. In Illinois, any modification to the stock exhaust that makes the car louder is illegal. However, IMO the car should still pass emissions as long as you havent messed with the CATS. The mufflers just muffle the sound, they dont mess with the vapors. I could be wrong.

David

For sure, these are not "street legal" in CA, because they are well over the legal noise limit. So is my bike, most other bikes, most trucks with flows, and just about every other GT mustang here. All I care is that it passes emissions, and SLP says it will. So thats good enough for me.
Old 5/16/05, 02:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by emperorjordan@May 16, 2005, 12:12 PM
For sure, these are not "street legal" in CA, because they are well over the legal noise limit. So is my bike, most other bikes, most trucks with flows, and just about every other GT mustang here. All I care is that it passes emissions, and SLP says it will. So thats good enough for me.
SLP claims it is Emissions legal in all 50 states, however the state of Texas specifically states in its emissions code that a muffler must be present.

This would mean that the SLP loudmouth would fail inspection under the emissions requirements of the state of Texas, so SLP is wrong their product is not emissions legal in all 50 states.

They based that claim on the fact that is doesn't change the exhaust gas emissions of the car and therefor would pass a sniffer test in California, since California has the highest requirements for exhaust gas emissions.

Im not sweating it thou, I live in a county that doesn't do emissions testing, only visual inspection, and my first inspection is nearly 2 years away.
Old 5/17/05, 05:48 AM
Bullitt Member

I think that just made up my mind but I still wanna here the flowmaster systems but I'm leaning SLP
Old 5/17/05, 12:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

Just installed the SLP Loudmouth and WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Love them!!!! Thanks to Emporerjordan for all the info. Not too obnoxiously loud but loud and sound DEEP!! I cannot roll down my windows yet because I just got them tinted today but the sound inside is #1! Cannot wait to cruise with the windows down.
Old 5/17/05, 01:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by stangscuba98a@May 17, 2005, 12:28 PM
Just installed the SLP Loudmouth and WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Love them!!!! Thanks to Emporerjordan for all the info. Not too obnoxiously loud but loud and sound DEEP!! I cannot roll down my windows yet because I just got them tinted today but the sound inside is #1! Cannot wait to cruise with the windows down.
I too installed the SLP loudmouth yesterday, have to check the bolts today, the passenger tip wont stay where I want it, (Centered in the notch) it keeps rasing up to nearly touching my rear bumper. I think I have heard other people complaining of a simular problem with the passenger side pipe being higher than the driver side.

But other than this minor installaion issue I love the SLP loudmouth.
Old 5/17/05, 06:58 PM
Bullitt Member

WOW this is so creapy jordan!! You used to be in SoR mwahahah. Teehee this is RussianAssassin!!! Remember me. I would to say that first, Thats a very nice car you got there! I'm getting a 06 gt in tungsten silver, borla stinger exhuast, K & N CAI and DPT tune, and eibach pro kit springs, : ) wanna go! Also, nice car and keep up the good work!
Old 5/17/05, 09:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

no way!! long time no see! remember scarface? he is here too... he just got a silver V6.
Old 5/19/05, 12:19 PM
Bullitt Member

I think you should be getting some sorta kick-back from SLP look how many people are ordering these things because of you...... Including me.
Old 5/19/05, 11:02 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by pumpkinhead@May 14, 2005, 3:25 PM
Based on Jordan's clip I ordered a set of SLP Loudmouths. Have had them on for about a week. Really do love 'em. A few things I've noticed:

1) After 3-4 days they seem to break-in a bit. Maybe just a tad mellower than the first 5 minutes I had them. Could of course be me breaking-in to the SLPs and getting used to them too. They really are "just-right" in my book. Not too loud.
2) Does seem to be a slight subjective power gain. But it is slight at best.
3) They are clearly a bit louder when the car is cold. Nothing better than a cold start in the garage with my co-workers around. They just drool.
4) No drone problems in my book. I do notice there is a "spot" right at about 2000 RPM when you are tipped in on the throttle that a resonnance it quite perceptable. But at any other RPM its just not there, and again a few days go by and you get more and more used to it.
5) The WOW factor is huge. I already had almost every stranger at every gas station gawk. But now it is every stranger and their dog. Seriously, the compliments just roll in.
6) I would add that I had the SLPs installed at a professional muffler shop. The shop manager told me in no uncertain terms the system would NOT pass Missouri inspection (good thing my current one is valid for 2 years!). Of course, he said you can always try to find some rural gas station that needs an extra $20. But that any reputable inspector would fail me. Apparently MO law requires the presence of a "muffler"....and these resonator tips DO NOT qualify. Might be worth double checking in your state despite the 50 state claim SLP makes.

Thanks again to Jordan for the post. And thanks to LMPerformance for the speedy shippment. Really one of the best mods out there for the $.
No power gain,down 5hp from stock on superchips dyno.
Old 5/20/05, 04:40 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by DANNY@May 19, 2005, 9:05 PM
No power gain,down 5hp from stock on superchips dyno.
And you are comparing numbers taken on the same day and dyno with SLP on and off?

-Dan
Old 5/20/05, 03:03 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Cleveland@May 20, 2005, 4:43 AM
And you are comparing numbers taken on the same day and dyno with SLP on and off?

-Dan
Yes the same day, on and then off and back to stock.
Old 5/20/05, 04:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by DANNY@May 20, 2005, 3:06 PM
Yes the same day, on and then off and back to stock.
Even if it is true about a 5 HP loss, the sound more than makes up for it.....I cannot tell any lose and if anything it respondes better besides nobody can feel a 5 HP lose so who cares unless you are going to the track every weekend which most people do not.
Old 5/20/05, 06:30 PM
Bullitt Member

Ok ok...

Jordan (and everyone else) you have got me curious.

Now don't get me wrong I LOVE my magnapaks but all this hype is killng me. Consequently, I just ordered a set of SLP's and should be getting them next week.

Let me tell you what I am looking for in an exhaust system.
1. Performance
2. Sound
4. Looks (Magnapaks could be better)
3. Did I say Sound?

I love the Mangapaks and would recommend them to anyone. Onething I will say is that I am ADDICTED now. I love the sound of the Mustang and I only want more.

I will definitely do a comparison write up on both exhausts. Stay tuned.

Thanks again Jordan for starting a good post.
Cheers_Jay
Old 5/20/05, 10:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Well, I am sure VERY happy that I was able to help so many people out!

and about the 5 hp loss.... I dont know... I cant feel any difference, and I sure am enjoying my car a heck of a lot more now!
Old 5/20/05, 10:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by stangscuba98a@May 20, 2005, 4:11 PM
Even if it is true about a 5 HP loss, the sound more than makes up for it.....I cannot tell any lose and if anything it respondes better besides nobody can feel a 5 HP lose so who cares unless you are going to the track every weekend which most people do not.
Yes i to like the sound and it is true about the 5 hp. So 5 hp or slp= SLP ALL THE WAY,i love the sound 100%.
Old 5/20/05, 11:31 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
would the SLP be better with a tune?
Old 5/21/05, 10:40 AM
Mach 1 Member

yes it would be better with a tune... I hear that a tune on a completely stock car makes a big difference, so a tune with the SLP should do the same or better!

Quick Reply: SLP LOUDMOUTH install pix, video, everything.