GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Pulled trigger on LT's

Search this Thread

Old 6/4/08, 05:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EastCoast07GtCs
I used the allen heads that came with the prothanes. Worked fine with an allen head socket. I know the feeling, I was going nuts waiting for mine! And I didn't get the Stage 8s initially, but after shaving a couple of the stock studs I realized I was doing everything else as a precaution, so why not those?? So they are in transit.

Let me know if you need a hand, figured out a few tricks to help when doing them yourself.

Do you or anyone else with stingers have any vids with the OBX/stingers combo? anyone going to Carlisle, PA for the Ford show? I need to hear some sound clips and then I'll be doing a full exhaust this summer.

Mike
Old 6/4/08, 05:37 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bikeman
Do you or anyone else with stingers have any vids with the OBX/stingers combo? anyone going to Carlisle, PA for the Ford show? I need to hear some sound clips and then I'll be doing a full exhaust this summer.

Mike
Mike, did you get my message? I'll be up at Carlisle around 2 pm or so on Friday. You can hear my car when I get there. Give me a call if you get a change. Gotta ask you about a dinner we have set up.
Old 6/4/08, 03:48 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
I've decided to go the FI route, but have not figured out how yet. I would love to ship or haul the Mustang to Indiana to Brenspeed, but thats a little far. I even tried to get the wife to go somewhere in the area for our summer vacation and then haul the Mustang up for a little blower install and dyno tuning, but that didn't fly. So I'm sure I'll be doing the install my self and trusting Brent for the email tune until I can get on a dyno. I'm still debating Saleen, because thats what I've wanted from the beginning and Tom raves about itover his old vortech, or a Paxton because of the 4.10 gears?

Maybe I'll wait and see what you do, and then copy yours.
I don't know where in Tx you are, but there is a shop in south Houston on hwy 45 called Strickly Performance, they are pretty good. They work on Ford only, many many mustangs. Last time I was in Baytown racing, there was an 03 cobra with a Kenne Bell SC pumping out 600 hp and was built by them, SWEET ride and stupid fast. Just a thought if Indiana is too far.
Old 6/4/08, 03:54 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Hey Dean thats great I'll check them out. Houston would be perfect. Surely in a city of that size there is a good shop that I can trust to do the job.
Old 6/4/08, 04:07 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Now as for what's next??? I am so torn. I have been planning on staying N/A so a set of cams from Brenspeed (Brenspeed one because I respect the work they do, and second because Scott and Tom will take me to breakfast LMAO), but all these FI guys talking about their superchargers is VERY tempting.

I can be swayed SOOOO easily...
Psss.... that's your conscience saying "blower".......

......... So I'm sure I'll be doing the install my self and trusting Brent for the email tune until I can get on a dyno. I'm still debating Saleen, because thats what I've wanted from the beginning and Tom raves about itover his old vortech, or a Paxton because of the 4.10 gears?
I don't mean to rave about the Saleen....... I'm only trying to post the facts as I know them. Which mainly are, everyone talks about centris making big power up top and twin-screws making big power down low.... Well that's true but when you compare ACTUAL numbers, atleast on MY car with both blowers pullied to make around 11psi, the twin-screw makes more HP all the way to 6k rpm, then the centri takes over. Unless you drive constantly at 6k+ rpm, you'll find more horse power from the twin-screw. Plus, there's no comparison in the torque department- the twin-screw is way, way ahead- not necessarily on peak numbers (~60 tq more than a centri) but at lower rpms it's 100+ more lb/ft. And I have 4.10s with manual trans......

Anyway, you CAN'T GO WRONG WHEN YOU GET BLOWN!

Originally Posted by GTMark052
Hmmm lets see, my shopping list so far:

OBX Lt's- in transit
Maggies - got em
O2 wire extensions- got em
Prothane MM's- got em
Stage 8 header bolts- in transit

I'm getting there........
Progress....... yeah baby, congrats!
Old 6/4/08, 06:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks for your offer Al Once I receive all of my parts I'm going to have to figure out which weekend I can do it. Knowing me, I'll probably end up deciding at the last minute when I find enough free time.....Now if I can just get my wife to stop making honey do lists I'll be fine

Last edited by GTMark052; 6/4/08 at 06:04 PM.
Old 6/4/08, 06:49 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by tom281
Psss.... that's your conscience saying "blower".......

I don't mean to rave about the Saleen....... I'm only trying to post the facts as I know them. Which mainly are, everyone talks about centris making big power up top and twin-screws making big power down low.... Well that's true but when you compare ACTUAL numbers, atleast on MY car with both blowers pullied to make around 11psi, the twin-screw makes more HP all the way to 6k rpm, then the centri takes over. Unless you drive constantly at 6k+ rpm, you'll find more horse power from the twin-screw. Plus, there's no comparison in the torque department- the twin-screw is way, way ahead- not necessarily on peak numbers (~60 tq more than a centri) but at lower rpms it's 100+ more lb/ft. And I have 4.10s with manual trans......

Anyway, you CAN'T GO WRONG WHEN YOU GET BLOWN!

Progress....... yeah baby, congrats!

Boy I need to go back and search about a year ago when I kept telling you "twinscrew" "twinscrew" and had to put up with all the poop about how great the Vortec Centri blower was at the time. What a little time will change I guess.
Scott
Old 6/4/08, 07:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by GTMark052
Thanks for your offer Al Once I receive all of my parts I'm going to have to figure out which weekend I can do it. Knowing me, I'll probably end up deciding at the last minute when I find enough free time.....Now if I can just get my wife to stop making honey do lists I'll be fine
Heh, I know what you mean, between the warm weather being here and my having to make up for buying stuff, my lists are out of control!!! LOL

Whatever you decide, the offer stands. I am by no means an expert on this install after doing it once, but I do know an extra pair of hands would have come in handy while I was doing it.
Old 6/4/08, 08:53 PM
GT Member

hey is there a torque sequence for the manifold bolts to get the correct seal with the headers? Any recommendations?
Old 6/5/08, 06:14 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER
Boy I need to go back and search about a year ago when I kept telling you "twinscrew" "twinscrew" and had to put up with all the poop about how great the Vortec Centri blower was at the time. What a little time will change I guess.
Scott
There is still a soft spot in my heart for centris........it's hard to beat the topend pull and how it just wants to keep going and going and.......
Old 6/5/08, 07:25 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Srt2stang725
hey is there a torque sequence for the manifold bolts to get the correct seal with the headers? Any recommendations?

Same as you would do on a cylinder head or intake manifold. Start in the middle and work you have to each end equally.
Old 6/5/08, 04:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Hey Dean thats great I'll check them out. Houston would be perfect. Surely in a city of that size there is a good shop that I can trust to do the job.
I forgot to add, there is a web site that is called CUNDNracing.com, that guy has his own shop in my home town and does installations and sells parts, I went to check him out and his mustang placed 2nd in the recent fun ford weekend in Baytown and runnerup in Bella Rose, LA he is 2nd in points now, he has Strickly Performance to tune his car.
Old 6/5/08, 08:20 PM
Cobra Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Srt2stang725
The Ford assembly sequence shows start @ rear top, then rear bottom & work forward from rear to front. Torque is 25Nm or 18Ft/Lbs.
Have to admit, I didn't follow their sequence on mine. I did however, retighten after driving a bit. The complete engine assy PDF file is too large to post, if you PM me your email, I can send it to you.
Old 6/6/08, 04:28 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by aircare84
The Ford assembly sequence shows start @ rear top, then rear bottom & work forward from rear to front. Torque is 25Nm or 18Ft/Lbs.
Have to admit, I didn't follow their sequence on mine. I did however, retighten after driving a bit. The complete engine assy PDF file is too large to post, if you PM me your email, I can send it to you.
Nice info, and with my Stage 8s due today it's perfect timing
Old 6/6/08, 07:31 AM
Cobra Member

Made up my mind and I'm getting a set of OBXs ($450 shipped!). I have the Stage 8's on the way as well as prothane motor mounts. Since I have the LT Pacesetter with matching H-pipes set still at home, I'll take pictures and post so anybody that wants them has more detail pictures compared to the ones that show up on ebay (fairly generic).

They look nice, too bad they are not SS. To do the ceramic/armorcoat finish it would've been $430, plus the H-pipes cost, plus shipping... that would've put me way over compared to the OBXs.

Thank you to everyone's comments and contributions! One more OBX mustang over here!
Old 6/6/08, 08:48 AM
Mach 1 Member

Welcome to the club!

Let us know how the install goes, or if you run into any issues.

There are quite a few on here that were an extreme help to me when I did mine!!
Old 6/7/08, 01:49 AM
Bullitt Member

Ok! Finally got all my problems lined out! Got the hpipe welded, so that is the end of my desiel sounding mustang. And I also had a rattle/rub on my pasenger side like Al, it turned out that the hanger on the hpipe was at a slight angle so it rattled on the hanger mount. I just cut the end off to fix it. Sounds Kick A$$! Even got to go to the track, only did a best of 13.3@106, that is only a .1 gain. I did a lot of driving today and I am close to an oil change so I tell my self that is it. I did get 2 sweet launches, and they kind of suprised me so I might have not hit 2nd and 3rd as good as I could. When this think hooks the launch it is AWSOME! I did run 5X, some good some bad, with a 106 mph on all, my best being 108 mph with JLT UDP and SCT. I hope to inprove my skills and find 12's this summer. I did make a LS2 GTO look like a honda, don't get me wrong I like the GTO & LS2, but he ran 14.2 - 13.5. I had his whole car in my rear mirror when I went through the traps!

PS. I did not need to put a flat spot on the driver side for clearance. I have plenty all over (still tight fit though), but I did have to trim the 2 bolts on the driver rear. I retained the stock motor mounts.
Old 6/7/08, 04:07 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Sounds great Dean. Another satisfied OBX longtube owner!!
Old 6/7/08, 05:31 AM
Mach 1 Member

Outstanding Dean!!!! Glad to hear you got it all worked out.

But be careful.... I'm starting to think these 'welcome to the club' posts from Scott are his way of hypnotizing you. You'll be contimplating a set of NSR cams next!!!

Oh, and don't be bummed about your numbers... I've yet to make it down the track, so I'll have some great 'missed a gear', 'muffed my launches' stories for you this summer
Old 6/7/08, 07:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Outstanding Dean!!!! Glad to hear you got it all worked out.

But be careful.... I'm starting to think these 'welcome to the club' posts from Scott are his way of hypnotizing you. You'll be contimplating a set of NSR cams next!!!

Oh, and don't be bummed about your numbers... I've yet to make it down the track, so I'll have some great 'missed a gear', 'muffed my launches' stories for you this summer
About the NSR cams..........I have been thinking real hard. The only 2 obsticals are: will they work well with a PD SC, and a long honey do list might be in the works (if you know what I mean). But CNC heads and a hot cam would be sweet!

Good luck on the track, I found that I launch better and much harder with TCS on for some reason. I know the car is faster, but it will only go as fast as the driver can make it.

Quick Reply: Pulled trigger on LT's