GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Pulled trigger on LT's

Search this Thread

Old 6/10/08, 06:03 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Fords4Ever
Sorry...couldn't resist.
Hey no problem...I would have taken the shot if I had the chance!!
Old 6/11/08, 06:31 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK Al! Got pic for ya! hope they work. Mind you, the grinder I had was worn down to a nub so I was un able to cut all the way through the hanger, but it does give you a good Idea on how much I trimed. I will finish the job next oil change. If you look really hard I think you can see the spot on the cross member just above the end of the hanger where it rubbed. I had no damage to the weld when I bent it down some.

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/n...6/DSC01050.jpg
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/n...6/DSC01049.jpg
Old 6/11/08, 07:36 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Isn't that crossmember rub a fairly common problem even on stock midpipes?
Old 6/11/08, 07:43 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Redrocket06
OK Al! Got pic for ya! hope they work. Mind you, the grinder I had was worn down to a nub so I was un able to cut all the way through the hanger, but it does give you a good Idea on how much I trimed. I will finish the job next oil change. If you look really hard I think you can see the spot on the cross member just above the end of the hanger where it rubbed. I had no damage to the weld when I bent it down some.

Hey Dean,
Your pictures remind me that I had a similar rub in the same area. If you look at your pics and see where the hanger bar comes from the h-pipe tube and gets real close to the hex head bolt on the right. Mine were rubbing there. A little massaging fixed my issue. And yes vibration in this area is common even with the stock H-pipe. I had a similar issue with my stocker.
Old 6/12/08, 05:53 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Redrocket06

Dude, you rock! Thanks for the effort.

Ironically, mine was at the opposite end of the hanger. There was almost two inches hanging passed the weld, and that was rubbing agains the under carraige. I did the same as you though, cut it down and ground it at a slight angle and that did the trick!!! Of course, as I was tightening everything up and re-adjusting the mufflers, I snapped the head off of one of the hanger bracket bolts Gonna have to drill it out tonight when I get home and replace it. Not a big deal, but crawling back under there again was not something I was looking forward too.

Thanks again for taking the pics bud!
Old 6/12/08, 09:55 PM
V6 Member

There is a TSB about removing the rubber mounts and bending the hangers out horizontal specifically for those mounts. look up center stack rattle/vibration. I ended up cuting the hangers off with a sawsall, no more vibration.
Old 6/13/08, 07:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by presto
There is a TSB about removing the rubber mounts and bending the hangers out horizontal specifically for those mounts. look up center stack rattle/vibration. I ended up cuting the hangers off with a sawsall, no more vibration.
I don't think our rattle has to do the TSB, I can't speak for EASTCOAST but I didn't have a vibe before the install. The angle of the hanger on the OBX Hpipe caused my vibe problem, no vibe after I fixed it. Good point though for someone reading this thread might have that problem.
Old 6/14/08, 02:40 PM
Legacy TMS Member

So who is the next in line to do an OBX longtube header install??? There has been some very minor issues that have come up with this header but for less than half the price of comparable headers and being 304 SS it's a great mod!! Who's next?
Scott
Old 6/14/08, 05:15 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
I saw mention of the OBX headers on another Mustang site- and of course, most of the talk was bad-mouthing them because "they're cheap" and you should go with something like Kooks or American Racing (for 2x the price). It's funny how marketing and branding can affect the way some people think in regards to the "it costs more, so it MUST be better" way of thinking.
Old 6/14/08, 08:39 PM
Bullitt Member

I all comes down to doing your research before buying a product. Alot of people seemed offended when I asked about the Summitracing UDP set and not Steeda's. Just feel good about what you are buying and who you buy from and don't buy if your gut tells you not to. Plus having a write up from Scott about his OBX install had more than enough info in it to indicate a quality product.
Old 6/15/08, 04:55 AM
GT Member

Guys I will be pulling the trigger on these. Looking at August, will be adding cams at the same time.
Old 6/15/08, 06:51 AM
Cobra Member

I get mine in this week (16th), and they should be in the car by next sunday along with a few other goodies! Mishimoto Aluminum Radiator and Hoses, Motor Mounts, OBX LTs, Granatelli 2.5" SS polished Cat Back System. If time gives and since I'll be under the car anyways, maybe: BMR Relocation Arms with Spohn Adjustable LCAs.
Old 6/17/08, 03:50 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by rony1976
I get mine in this week (16th), and they should be in the car by next sunday along with a few other goodies! Mishimoto Aluminum Radiator and Hoses, Motor Mounts, OBX LTs, Granatelli 2.5" SS polished Cat Back System. If time gives and since I'll be under the car anyways, maybe: BMR Relocation Arms with Spohn Adjustable LCAs.

Make sure you post your results!! Best of luck on your install. Should go great!
Scott
Old 6/17/08, 03:55 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by GTMark052
I just read your posts Al and I'm getting very anxious waiting for my "gifts" to arrive Did you use the allen head bolts that came with the Prothanes or did you use a standard type bolt instead??

Hmmm lets see, my shopping list so far:

OBX Lt's- in transit
Maggies - got em
O2 wire extensions- got em
Prothane MM's- got em
Stage 8 header bolts- in transit

I'm getting there........

Hey Mark...It's been almost 2 weeks since your last post. What is your status??
Scott
Old 6/17/08, 04:57 PM
Cobra Member

Well, I got it in! so I'll be sure to take pics and all.

I also have the pacesetter pictures that I promised a while back (although I returned them, I can post if someone is interested in purchasing them).
Old 6/17/08, 06:32 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by rony1976
Well, I got it in! so I'll be sure to take pics and all.

I also have the pacesetter pictures that I promised a while back (although I returned them, I can post if someone is interested in purchasing them).

Your quick!!!! It must have been a pretty easy install since it is only Tuesday @ 8:30. What is you initial thoughts?
Old 6/18/08, 09:33 AM
Cobra Member

I'm an idiot! I meant to say I got the box in! Not the part itself!

I'll be doing the work this coming Sunday! I'll post pics and thoughts of course (as I mentioned before, full exhaust is going in when the LTs go in).
Old 6/18/08, 07:10 PM
Cobra Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hey Rony,
Where in Orl are you?
I just came back from a week there for work.
I lived there for 15yrs, off S. Goldenrod.
My son moved back there in 2001, he works @ Disney.
Get down there about once a year.
I used to work @ Orlando Regional Medical Center on the heli.
Have to give you a yell my next trip.
Old 6/19/08, 11:20 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by aircare84
Hey Rony,
Where in Orl are you?
I just came back from a week there for work.
I lived there for 15yrs, off S. Goldenrod.
My son moved back there in 2001, he works @ Disney.
Get down there about once a year.
I used to work @ Orlando Regional Medical Center on the heli.
Have to give you a yell my next trip.
I'm actually by Altamonte Springs and I work for ORMC's competitor (Florida Hospital)! But because of work, I get to travel to all Florida Hospitals (from Celebration to Altamonte Springs).

Definitely let me know when you are around again!
Old 6/19/08, 04:19 PM
GT Member

I'm going to try to tackle this project this weekend. It should really make my new cams sound good! Thanks for all of the info guys. You're all going to save me a lot of time and trouble!

Quick Reply: Pulled trigger on LT's