GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Pulled trigger on LT's

Search this Thread

Old 5/24/08, 09:01 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Scott. WOW, that looks tight! OH Well. Thanks for the info on putting the flat spot in, I think i will do that too. My wife's uncle is going to help me put them in and he has more tools than I hope to own in my life, I'm sure he has what we need to apply the flat spot and any thing else that comes along.
IMO....the best tool for your garage is a frig full of beer.
Old 5/24/08, 02:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Yes, thank you very much Scott for you guidance with all of this. I had orginially figured on paying someone to do it, but after reading your posts, along with posts from a few others, I decided to take it on myself As for the motor mounts I'm still up in the air about it.
If the Prothane mounts are used, and are not milled down 1/4", do they provide enough clearance themselves without using the pipe flattening method?? OR, can the flat pipe method be used without using aftermarket mounts?
Thanks again,
Mark
Old 5/24/08, 03:42 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by GTMark052
Yes, thank you very much Scott for you guidance with all of this. I had orginially figured on paying someone to do it, but after reading your posts, along with posts from a few others, I decided to take it on myself As for the motor mounts I'm still up in the air about it.
If the Prothane mounts are used, and are not milled down 1/4", do they provide enough clearance themselves without using the pipe flattening method?? OR, can the flat pipe method be used without using aftermarket mounts?
Thanks again,
Mark

Hey Mark,
Here is what you need to do this install. If you are not mechanically inclined or have a fair assortment of tools you just need a friend that does. And plenty of liquid refreshments. Seriously anyone with a jack, jackstands and a good assortment of mechanics tools can do this job. Don't get me wrong...it's a pain and it's tight getting any longtubes installed. But with basic tools and a go -get- em attitude you won't have an issues. Larry (Airecare84) and I did his car in like 6 hrs (manual) and my (auto) in about 5 hrs. Both of us have a mechanical background. It may take you guys 8 or 10 hours to do the install but don't push it...just take your time and do it right. As far as the doing the Prothanes at the same time I know it is a good idea. The engine in our car have what is called hydramounts. They are very squishy and allow the engine to move side to side upto (my guess) at least 3/16's of an inch. I did the Prothanes when I installed the OBX headers and I have never rubbed anything. Larry still has the stock mounts and has rubbed the steering shaft on hard cornering a number of times and is going to do the Prothanes soon to fix the issue. So "YES" I think the Prothanes are mandatory when doing any longtube install. It is the time to do it. At about $120 bucks shipped it is cheap insurance!!!
Scott
Old 5/24/08, 07:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Ok, thats exactly what I needed to hear! Looks like I will be adding the prothanes along with O2 extentions to my shopping cart No, I dont have any real mechanical background, but I used to work on and rebuild my MX motorcycles so I have a fair amount of tools and such. I pretty much relegated myself to 10 hours or so (two or three day job) so when all of the parts finally get here I'll have my gloves on ready to go! If I get into a jam, my brother in law is a bus mechanic and I'll coax him over with some liquid incentive, LOL.
Thanks once again, Scott

Last edited by GTMark052; 5/24/08 at 07:18 PM.
Old 5/24/08, 07:48 PM
Bullitt Member

Dude, I am so bummed out! My wife stoped by the office to get my LT's and nobody was there!!! She could not wait cause she had to go to her mom's. But... I am luck enough that they are open tomorrow (Sun.) so she can try again (I work all day). I want to get them before Memorial Day cause racingpartsdepot has a 5 day money back, and I want to inspect them before my garantee goes out (Mon). I will get her to get them tommorrow , and I will be like if she gets them. Cross your fingers!
Old 5/25/08, 07:41 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by GTMark052
Ok, thats exactly what I needed to hear! Looks like I will be adding the prothanes along with O2 extentions to my shopping cart No, I dont have any real mechanical background, but I used to work on and rebuild my MX motorcycles so I have a fair amount of tools and such. I pretty much relegated myself to 10 hours or so (two or three day job) so when all of the parts finally get here I'll have my gloves on ready to go! If I get into a jam, my brother in law is a bus mechanic and I'll coax him over with some liquid incentive, LOL.
Thanks once again, Scott
Well if all does as planned, looks like I'll be doing mine this weekend, so let me know Mark, I may not be able to help, but I will probably be able to get you through some of the tough spots I run into. LOL And let me know if you need an extra set of hands, one could wrench while the other swats the gnats!
Old 5/25/08, 07:43 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Redrocket06
Dude, I am so bummed out! My wife stoped by the office to get my LT's and nobody was there!!! She could not wait cause she had to go to her mom's. But... I am luck enough that they are open tomorrow (Sun.) so she can try again (I work all day). I want to get them before Memorial Day cause racingpartsdepot has a 5 day money back, and I want to inspect them before my garantee goes out (Mon). I will get her to get them tommorrow , and I will be like if she gets them. Cross your fingers!
Whoa, sounds like as little clearance as when you install them.... Good luck, and let us know!!!!
Old 5/25/08, 07:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Got 'em

Opened them up and all looks well. Good welds, but I do not like the gaskets. I will get a new pair of OEM from Ford this week, and the collector on one of the headers is a hair out of round making it difficult to put the Hpipe on, but that will be easily fixed other, than that all I can say is they are pretty! I called the guy that is helping me install them and he has to get back with me one if he is going to be free. I'm sure he will be, expecially for having an excuse to drink beer for a day or two.
Old 5/26/08, 01:04 AM
Cobra Member

I re-used the stock gaskets. just an fyi but they have worked fine!
Old 5/26/08, 03:11 AM
GT Member

Hey guys I was thinking of going the OBX route but all of these special tweaks that you have to do has me worried. Do you think it be better to spend a little more and get something that will just fit and not have to worry about getting new motor mounts and denting the header a bit.
Old 5/26/08, 04:42 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by surf808
Hey guys I was thinking of going the OBX route but all of these special tweaks that you have to do has me worried. Do you think it be better to spend a little more and get something that will just fit and not have to worry about getting new motor mounts and denting the header a bit.

Don't want to get a header bashing session started here but Ford Racing shorty headers will rub the steering shaft and their suggestion is denting the header pipe. That's where I got the idea from in the first place. And it really isn't 100% necessary it just give a little more clearance in a very tight area with all brand of headers.

Last edited by 70MACH1OWNER; 5/26/08 at 04:45 AM.
Old 5/26/08, 05:04 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER
Don't want to get a header bashing session started here but Ford Racing shorty headers will rub the steering shaft and their suggestion is denting the header pipe. That's where I got the idea from in the first place. And it really isn't 100% necessary it just give a little more clearance in a very tight area with all brand of headers.

+1.... FRPP shorties could benefit from this for sure.
Old 5/26/08, 11:58 AM
GT Member

Oh. Thanks for the clarification.
Old 5/26/08, 12:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Well even though it's a holiday, today is monday, which means my headers will officially be here THIS WEEK!!! I can't wait.
Old 5/26/08, 01:55 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by EastCoast07GtCs
Well even though it's a holiday, today is monday, which means my headers will officially be here THIS WEEK!!! I can't wait.
It is even worse when they are in your living room, looking at you, laughing, knowing the soonest they will have a chance of going on is a week away.

Faber, I have heard of many people reusing the stock gasket w/o problem, but I have had header gaskets leak on me before and I will feel better knowing they are new. Unless they turn out to cost a rediculous amount.
Old 5/26/08, 03:37 PM
Legacy TMS Member

It is even worse when they are in your living room, looking at you, laughing, knowing the soonest they will have a chance of going on is a week away.

Faber, I have heard of many people reusing the stock gasket w/o problem, but I have had header gaskets leak on me before and I will feel better knowing they are new. Unless they turn out to cost a rediculous amount.

I know you don't like the way the gaskets look that came with the OBX headers. They are about 1/16 inch thick but have you ever seen the stockers? They are a single piece of sheet metal maybe .010 thick with a formed bead around the exhaust port. I know many guys say they have reused their stockers but once that formed bead is crushed once I don't think I would reuse them. I would also get new. But just for the record when Aircare84 and I did ours we both used the OBX gaskets. Neither of us have any leaks so far. And to set your minds at ease a little bit have you ever done a search on what OBX makes for just about every car out there? Try it some time...I did and that is why I used their gaskets. I believe they know exhaust system pretty good. Just my opinion though. Only time will tell if I made the right decision in gasket choice.
Scott

Last edited by 70MACH1OWNER; 5/26/08 at 03:39 PM.
Old 5/26/08, 04:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Just ordered the OBX LT's. Could not get passed the price, and all you that have them seemed happy with the way they are holding up and performing. So...... I will try out both H-pipes and the one I like the least I will cut and clamp on cats so I can pass inspection (will still cost less than any other LT setup).

Please no product bashing. I know that buying American is important But the USD value is not getting any better, and my pockets are not getting fat very fast. As you have guessed, cost is a factor. If I had more $$$ to spend then I would have gone with BBK because I really wanted a ceramic coating. But SS is nice too.

PLEASE LEARN FROM MY OBX EXPERIENCE.

Pay very close attention to the driver's side clearance of the steering shaft and bell housing. Mine are rubbing on both, and I have the installer to blame for not noticing this and "adjusting" the header. Also be sure to use the OE manifold gaskets, not the gaskets in the kit.

Good luck.
Old 5/26/08, 04:18 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by surf808
Your decision really. Just expect to need to do a little modification to get the OBX headers to fit properly, or spend more money for AHR's.
Old 5/26/08, 05:04 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Also be sure to use the OE manifold gaskets, not the gaskets in the kit.

Why?
Old 5/26/08, 05:28 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER
Also be sure to use the OE manifold gaskets, not the gaskets in the kit.

Why?
That wasn't necessarily an indictment against just the gaskets in the kit. The main point I wanted to make is that leaks are showing up in aftermarket gaskets, whereas as fresh set of OEM's are not causing leaks.

Quick Reply: Pulled trigger on LT's