GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Pulled trigger on LT's

Search this Thread

Old 5/31/08, 06:08 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is the dipstick tube threaded into the block at the bottom? Anyone know how I can remove it so I can run it through the headers once installed???
Old 5/31/08, 06:56 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by EastCoast07GtCs
Is the dipstick tube threaded into the block at the bottom? Anyone know how I can remove it so I can run it through the headers once installed???

It is a light press fit in the block. After you remove the bolt just wiggle it and pull up on it. Should come right out.

Last edited by 70MACH1OWNER; 5/31/08 at 06:58 AM.
Old 5/31/08, 07:03 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Then wiggle it again and it goes back in........
Old 5/31/08, 07:20 AM
Cobra Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Forgot all about that dipstick

Scott's spacer & longer bolt works great

I ran mine for about a month with just a longer bolt & wasn't a problem.
Attached Thumbnails Pulled trigger on LT's-dsc03907a.jpg  
Old 5/31/08, 07:22 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by aircare84
Forgot all about that dipstick

Scott's spacer & longer bolt works great

I ran mine for about a month with just a longer bolt & wasn't a problem.

Great picture Larry.
Old 5/31/08, 12:36 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Just checking in. It's good to see no more posts from the (2) OBX installs going on today!! Things must be going well...I hope!
Scott
Old 5/31/08, 06:37 PM
Team Mustang Source

I am also in the header install club this weekend. I went with Kooks with catted H. I thought I read on here, but can't locate, that you need to modify the O2 extension cable as the tabs don't line up. Can someone confirm? I hope this is the case because mine are definitely not a direct match. Put in six hours today and got everything out and the new headers and midpipe in place. Need to align the tails and torque everything tomorrow, then put all the other parts back together. Hoping three hours will wrap it up.
Old 5/31/08, 11:54 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
I'm sorry but thats the one thing I can't remember about the Kooks install. I saw a thread where you need to cut part of the little clip off with a knife nd then it will slide right in, but I honestly don't remember doing that. It seems like mine fit right on. But mine was an '07
Old 6/1/08, 05:03 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by SS05GT
I am also in the header install club this weekend. I went with Kooks with catted H. I thought I read on here, but can't locate, that you need to modify the O2 extension cable as the tabs don't line up. Can someone confirm? I hope this is the case because mine are definitely not a direct match. Put in six hours today and got everything out and the new headers and midpipe in place. Need to align the tails and torque everything tomorrow, then put all the other parts back together. Hoping three hours will wrap it up.

You are correct that you do need to cut off the male lug off with a razor blade. You will want to leave the locking tab in place.
Old 6/1/08, 06:58 AM
Mach 1 Member

WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!! :w oot:

Absolutely incredible!!!!!

Sorry for the delay, was finishing up yesterday when a major storm came and, oh, and one last bolt... dropped it and it fell into the frame!

Picked up a magnetic pickup tool this am from home depot, retrieved the bolt, got it installed, put all back together, tuned it and.... UNREAL!

I haven't really jumped on it yet, but I checked for leaks, etc, just waiting for a while before really opening it up. It's early Sunday morning, and I figure I'm gonna have a few neighbors hating me anyway, why push it???

NOTE: I ended up using the stock bolt/studs and as suggested earlier, had to shave a couple down to get them in. EVerything seems fine, but considering the fact that I got the prothanes to be safe, and using Scott's ecvellent tool put a flat for added assurance, I wen ahead and ordered a set of the Stage 8s. Was a long install, mostly due to inexperience and the fact that I did it myself, but it will be worth it to replace the studs for tha extra 'comfort' feeling!

Last edited by EastCoast07GtCs; 6/1/08 at 07:29 AM.
Old 6/1/08, 07:06 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER
You are correct that you do need to cut off the male lug off with a razor blade. You will want to leave the locking tab in place.

Thank you sir.
Old 6/1/08, 11:57 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by EastCoast07GtCs
WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!! :w oot:

Absolutely incredible!!!!!

Sorry for the delay, was finishing up yesterday when a major storm came and, oh, and one last bolt... dropped it and it fell into the frame!

Picked up a magnetic pickup tool this am from home depot, retrieved the bolt, got it installed, put all back together, tuned it and.... UNREAL!

I haven't really jumped on it yet, but I checked for leaks, etc, just waiting for a while before really opening it up. It's early Sunday morning, and I figure I'm gonna have a few neighbors hating me anyway, why push it???

NOTE: I ended up using the stock bolt/studs and as suggested earlier, had to shave a couple down to get them in. EVerything seems fine, but considering the fact that I got the prothanes to be safe, and using Scott's ecvellent tool put a flat for added assurance, I wen ahead and ordered a set of the Stage 8s. Was a long install, mostly due to inexperience and the fact that I did it myself, but it will be worth it to replace the studs for tha extra 'comfort' feeling!

So Al...Can we assume we have another satisfied customer with the OBX longtube headers? Any fitment issues at all?
Scott
Old 6/1/08, 12:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Well got them in. Had to put it on jackstands the ramps were too steep. That made for a tight fit. Took 12 hours, taking breaks (hot in TX), cooking dinner and having a kid up my rear takes up time. The Hpipe was not true so it ended up leaking from the union. Not worried about it for I will got to a shop this week and get it all welded up, Im not going to change hpipes, if it doesn't pass inspection I will put cats on the running hpipe. Drove it home and even with the leak is was way stronger from about 1200 to 3500 (didn't go higher), and I need to contact doug cause the tune he sent never got to my email. All in all after I fix the leak I will love them!

Thanks for everybodys help on this project! Knowing what could happen removes alot of the cusing from the work.
Old 6/1/08, 12:06 PM
Bullitt Member

Great to hear Al! I bet they will be monsters when we romp on them!!! Can't wait!!
Old 6/1/08, 12:41 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Redrocket06
Well got them in. Had to put it on jackstands the ramps were too steep. That made for a tight fit. Took 12 hours, taking breaks (hot in TX), cooking dinner and having a kid up my rear takes up time. The Hpipe was not true so it ended up leaking from the union. Not worried about it for I will got to a shop this week and get it all welded up, Im not going to change hpipes, if it doesn't pass inspection I will put cats on the running hpipe. Drove it home and even with the leak is was way stronger from about 1200 to 3500 (didn't go higher), and I need to contact doug cause the tune he sent never got to my email. All in all after I fix the leak I will love them!

Thanks for everybodys help on this project! Knowing what could happen removes alot of the cusing from the work.

Great to hear Dean. If you want to drive it and get on it don't worry. Doug's tune only turns off the rear O2 sensors and nothing else. He does not make any air/fuel adjustments. Only thing that will happen is you will get a check engine light.
Scott
Old 6/1/08, 01:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER
So Al...Can we assume we have another satisfied customer with the OBX longtube headers? Any fitment issues at all?
Scott
Great to hear Dean! Yea, she really growls now when I jump on it!!!

Everything worked out like a champ!!! I think the thing that really helped me with alignment was the 2 1/2 hours I spent getting the stinger lined up when I first installed them. Because of that, I was able to semi-tighten the h-pipe enough to allow me to turn the tips, then torqued them down!!!

The one thing I noticed was that my tips seem to be sticking out about 1/2" - 3/4" further. Ironic, since they were never TRULY even coming out of the rear, and now they are!!! I checked and double checked and I'm sure I have all the pipes butted against one another. Not a big deal though, shows off the Ford acing a little better on those 4" tips

Oh, and I was able to get her out this morning and all I can say is once again... WOWWWWWWW!!! Now I really have the growl I was looking for! As I stated above, had issues with a couple of the studs and shaved them down, worked fine, but already ordered the Stage 8s.

Thanks to everyone who helped me through this, especially Scott, Larry and Fabar. It was a little un-nerving attempting it alone, but I can say for sure IT WAS WORTH IT!!!

Just hope I didn't catch whatever Scott has from his tools and end up on the never ending quest for the perfect exhaust sound now...

Oh and Scott.... now the Brent has the guest house over at his place, I might let you talk me into taking the drive there to get a set of cams put in... LMAO

Last edited by EastCoast07GtCs; 6/1/08 at 01:30 PM.
Old 6/1/08, 01:51 PM
Cobra Member

Glad to hear the instal went well! now you can really put some fear into the rice when they rev their fart cans at you
Old 6/1/08, 01:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

It's funny you mentioned that!!!! When I took it out for the first time, I had one pull along side me. Stero-typical rice, you know the one muffler tip coming out wider that the tires??? LOL

That's when I first jumped on it since I was on a highway. Man did she ROAR!!!
Old 6/1/08, 04:16 PM
Bullitt Member

First day out and you already burn rice?! Awsome. My mufflers are about in the same position, so I don't know about that.
Took mine out for a good drive, the leak is bad on the hpipe union so at low speed and idle it sounds like a desiel, but open it up it sounds sweet. I also have a cracked muffler mount that rattled before and with adjusting the system made it worse. I will get that welded as well on Fri. (next day off) that will fix any problems I have. I am using the factory mufflers and I like it, gives it a different tone than I have heard. Quiet cruse, growl at idle, grumble accelarating, and a mad beast WOT.
Old 6/1/08, 04:41 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Redrocket06
First day out and you already burn rice?! Awsome. My mufflers are about in the same position, so I don't know about that.
Took mine out for a good drive, the leak is bad on the hpipe union so at low speed and idle it sounds like a desiel, but open it up it sounds sweet. I also have a cracked muffler mount that rattled before and with adjusting the system made it worse. I will get that welded as well on Fri. (next day off) that will fix any problems I have. I am using the factory mufflers and I like it, gives it a different tone than I have heard. Quiet cruse, growl at idle, grumble accelarating, and a mad beast WOT.

Good news guys....It is funny you should mention Rice. I had to show a guy with the plates "Tuner07" what a real car needs to sound like. His sounded like poop. Sounded like he was blowing on a Kazoo!
Scott

Quick Reply: Pulled trigger on LT's