GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Pulled trigger on LT's

Search this Thread

Old 6/1/08, 05:21 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by EastCoast07GtCs
Oh and Scott.... now the Brent has the guest house over at his place, I might let you talk me into taking the drive there to get a set of cams put in... LMAO
Come on up..... both Scott and I can meet you and make sure you don't get lost. I believe it's Scott's turn to by breakfast anyway.

Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER
Good news guys....It is funny you should mention Rice. I had to show a guy with the plates "Tuner07" what a real car needs to sound like. His sounded like poop. Sounded like he was blowing on a Kazoo!
Scott
LOL, "Tuner07".......
Old 6/1/08, 05:33 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Oh and Scott.... now the Brent has the guest house over at his place, I might let you talk me into taking the drive there to get a set of cams put in... LMAO[/quote]

Hey Al...just let me know when you want to do the cams. They are a worthwhile mod. Tom's right it's my time to buy breakfast.
Scott
Old 6/1/08, 07:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh and Scott.... now the Brent has the guest house over at his place, I might let you talk me into taking the drive there to get a set of cams put in... LMAO

Hey Al...just let me know when you want to do the cams. They are a worthwhile mod. Tom's right it's my time to buy breakfast.
Scott[/quote]

OK, easy guys... that might take a little while. I'm still getting the honey-do list from my wife over the headers LOL
Old 6/1/08, 08:21 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Scott
OK, easy guys... that might take a little while. I'm still getting the honey-do list from my wife over the headers LOL[/quote]

Hey Al, glad the install went well. One day when there is a show in New Jersey that you and I can both attend, we'll have to check out each other's headers and listen to the sound!! Can't wait to hear it in person.
Old 6/1/08, 08:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 05fordgt
OK, easy guys... that might take a little while. I'm still getting the honey-do list from my wife over the headers LOL
Hey Al, glad the install went well. One day when there is a show in New Jersey that you and I can both attend, we'll have to check out each other's headers and listen to the sound!! Can't wait to hear it in person. [/quote]

Thanks Jeff! Looks like at the moment I'm heading to Hammonton and Merchantville. Hmmmmm, I think someone told me if I made any show it should be Merchantville Heading over to the south jersey mustang club meeting this thursday to join, after that I'll get my act together LOL

Been catching grief over on BMC about Carlisle, trying to decide if it's worth the 3 hour drive for a day trip... not that I need any encouragement to drive her now!

Looking forward to it bud!!!!

Last edited by EastCoast07GtCs; 6/1/08 at 08:36 PM.
Old 6/2/08, 08:05 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey Al, glad the install went well. One day when there is a show in New Jersey that you and I can both attend, we'll have to check out each other's headers and listen to the sound!! Can't wait to hear it in person.
Thanks Jeff! Looks like at the moment I'm heading to Hammonton and Merchantville. Hmmmmm, I think someone told me if I made any show it should be Merchantville Heading over to the south jersey mustang club meeting this thursday to join, after that I'll get my act together LOL

Been catching grief over on BMC about Carlisle, trying to decide if it's worth the 3 hour drive for a day trip... not that I need any encouragement to drive her now!

Looking forward to it bud!!!![/quote]

TRUST ME BUD, CARLISLE IS WORTH IT!!!!
Old 6/3/08, 07:40 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Redrocket06
Like Faber said if there is no bung for the rear O2's
There are 2 bungs for the rear O2's. I guess I have to get under the car to see why there's 2 needed.

Originally Posted by Redrocket06
or if the Hpipe has no cats you will need a tune to delete the rear O2's.
Well, there's my answer, no cats on the H-pipe. I guess I will have to get a tune even if neither one of the O2 sensors are deleted.

Originally Posted by Faber
the pacesetter headers are steel, and I believe they are not coated other than some high temp paint. I looked at those also but was concerned about them holding up for very long
Who can armor coat it? Can I buy the armor coat and apply it myself?

I know nothing about that...
Old 6/3/08, 02:21 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by rony1976
Who can armor coat it? Can I buy the armor coat and apply it myself?

I know nothing about that...
I don't know about the armor coating, but you can check out jet-hot they do header coating. I found a page that said they will ship you a box then you box it and send it to them the number is 1-800-432-3379 or www.jet-hot.com

Good luck!
Old 6/3/08, 03:04 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Hey Al,
Any driving impressions after your 1st couple of days with the longtubes?
Scott
Old 6/3/08, 06:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

Hey Al,
Any driving impressions after your 1st couple of days with the longtubes?
Scott
Huh??? Sorry, didn't hear you at first... LMAO

Actually, I spoke too soon on the clearance issue, I heard a rattling on the passenger side that was driving me nuts Turns out I was so concerned about clearing the steering column that I moved the engine a little too close to the passenger side. The end of the hanger for the LTs was touching the side of the body and when I got her rumbling it was making noise. Easy enough adjustment, loostened the mount studs and pryed the mount back toward the drivers side, re-torqued the stud and VOILA!!! No more rattle.

I have to say, every time I get in the car now I smile from ear to ear! Best part is, since I live on a smal island, I try to be easy around here, and I can drop her in say 4th and you wouldn't think it was anything more than a set of louder mufflers... but once I get passed the houses and hit the bridge towards the mainland.... GRRRRRRRRRRRRROOOWWLLLLLLLLLLLL I haven't had the car dyno'd yet, but I can definately fell more pull, and I LOVE the looks and thumbs up I am getting when I drive by someone now.

Best part, 4 years between inspections here in jersey, so some time in the future, I'll get a set of hi-flow cats welded into the other h-pipe, go through inspection, then race home to take them off for another 4 years!!!!!!

This has to be one of the most rewarding mods I've done so far, at least from an instant gratification standpoint, and I'd recommend them to anyone!
Old 6/3/08, 06:28 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Congrats Al.

Another satisfied LT self-installer with a ear to ear grin stuck on his face.
Old 6/3/08, 06:37 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Huh??? Sorry, didn't hear you at first... LMAO

Actually, I spoke too soon on the clearance issue, I heard a rattling on the passenger side that was driving me nuts Turns out I was so concerned about clearing the steering column that I moved the engine a little too close to the passenger side. The end of the hanger for the LTs was touching the side of the body and when I got her rumbling it was making noise. Easy enough adjustment, loostened the mount studs and pryed the mount back toward the drivers side, re-torqued the stud and VOILA!!! No more rattle.

I have to say, every time I get in the car now I smile from ear to ear! Best part is, since I live on a smal island, I try to be easy around here, and I can drop her in say 4th and you wouldn't think it was anything more than a set of louder mufflers... but once I get passed the houses and hit the bridge towards the mainland.... GRRRRRRRRRRRRROOOWWLLLLLLLLLLLL I haven't had the car dyno'd yet, but I can definately fell more pull, and I LOVE the looks and thumbs up I am getting when I drive by someone now.

Best part, 4 years between inspections here in jersey, so some time in the future, I'll get a set of hi-flow cats welded into the other h-pipe, go through inspection, then race home to take them off for another 4 years!!!!!!

This has to be one of the most rewarding mods I've done so far, at least from an instant gratification standpoint, and I'd recommend them to anyone!

Great to hear AL. It is very easy to move the engine left or right once you have installed the Prothanes to get the clearance where it is needed. Sounds like all is good on another OBX header install!!!
Scott
Old 6/3/08, 06:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
Congrats Al.

Another satisfied LT self-installer with a ear to ear grin stuck on his face.
Thanks Gary, they are great!!!
Old 6/3/08, 06:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Great to hear AL. It is very easy to move the engine left or right once you have installed the Prothanes to get the clearance where it is needed. Sounds like all is good on another OBX header install!!!
Scott
Well I don't like to get silly with sayings, but as the Beatles said... "with a little help from my friends'
Old 6/3/08, 06:58 PM
Post *****

Thanks Gary, they are great!!!
I know its redundant, but doesn't it feel that much better too because you did it yourself.

Everytime I start her up, I know that EVERYTHING non-stock (except 4.10's) was done by me and I cared enough about the car to do it right the first time.

So what's next Al. You gonna get cams or is FI in your future?
Old 6/3/08, 07:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

I know its redundant, but doesn't it feel that much better too because you did it yourself.

Everytime I start her up, I know that EVERYTHING non-stock (except 4.10's) was done by me and I cared enough about the car to do it right the first time.

So what's next Al. You gonna get cams or is FI in your future?
I know what you mean about being redundant, every time I do one of these I want to quote TacoBill from his thread about getting in touch with your car.. lol And like you, I had a shop do the 4.10s, everything else was done by me.

Now as for what's next??? I am so torn. I have been planning on staying N/A so a set of cams from Brenspeed (Brenspeed one because I respect the work they do, and second because Scott and Tom will take me to breakfast LMAO), but all these FI guys talking about their superchargers is VERY tempting.

I can be swayed SOOOO easily...
Old 6/3/08, 07:14 PM
Post *****

I've decided to go the FI route, but have not figured out how yet. I would love to ship or haul the Mustang to Indiana to Brenspeed, but thats a little far. I even tried to get the wife to go somewhere in the area for our summer vacation and then haul the Mustang up for a little blower install and dyno tuning, but that didn't fly. So I'm sure I'll be doing the install my self and trusting Brent for the email tune until I can get on a dyno. I'm still debating Saleen, because thats what I've wanted from the beginning and Tom raves about itover his old vortech, or a Paxton because of the 4.10 gears?

Maybe I'll wait and see what you do, and then copy yours.
Old 6/3/08, 07:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

I've decided to go the FI route, but have not figured out how yet. I would love to ship or haul the Mustang to Indiana to Brenspeed, but thats a little far. I even tried to get the wife to go somewhere in the area for our summer vacation and then haul the Mustang up for a little blower install and dyno tuning, but that didn't fly. So I'm sure I'll be doing the install my self and trusting Brent for the email tune until I can get on a dyno. I'm still debating Saleen, because thats what I've wanted from the beginning and Tom raves about itover his old vortech, or a Paxton because of the 4.10 gears?

Maybe I'll wait and see what you do, and then copy yours.
No fair dude, I was gonna wait copy and you!!!

I've also thought about the trip being long, but now with their guest house (and breakfast), I might have to do it. I mean, if you have to drive that far, what would be better than with a new blower installed?!?!?!?!
Old 6/3/08, 08:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

I just read your posts Al and I'm getting very anxious waiting for my "gifts" to arrive Did you use the allen head bolts that came with the Prothanes or did you use a standard type bolt instead??

Hmmm lets see, my shopping list so far:

OBX Lt's- in transit
Maggies - got em
O2 wire extensions- got em
Prothane MM's- got em
Stage 8 header bolts- in transit

I'm getting there........
Old 6/3/08, 08:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by GTMark052
I just read your posts Al and I'm getting very anxious waiting for my "gifts" to arrive Did you use the allen head bolts that came with the Prothanes or did you use a standard type bolt instead??

Hmmm lets see, my shopping list so far:

OBX Lt's- in transit
Maggies - got em
O2 wire extensions- got em
Prothane MM's- got em
Stage 8 header bolts- in transit

I'm getting there........
I used the allen heads that came with the prothanes. Worked fine with an allen head socket. I know the feeling, I was going nuts waiting for mine! And I didn't get the Stage 8s initially, but after shaving a couple of the stock studs I realized I was doing everything else as a precaution, so why not those?? So they are in transit.

Let me know if you need a hand, figured out a few tricks to help when doing them yourself.

Quick Reply: Pulled trigger on LT's