GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Pulled trigger on LT's

Search this Thread

Old 5/23/08, 10:52 AM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Check out Faber's post on the tools and supplies you'll need. He also gives good hints. I looked at TacoBill's thread about changing the X-pipe and motor mounts because it included some great pictures and info on that O2 sensor wire hiding behind the battery tray and the removel of the starter and I think there was another post somewhere about steering linkage tips. You'll want to reuse the old mainfold gasket or get a new one from Ford as I think the consensus is the stocker is the best to use.
Old 5/23/08, 11:03 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought I had read a post somewhere about tools required, thanks. I also checked out Bill's excellent writeups since I was planning on doing the motor mounts even before an un-named person (SCOTT) , along with others (YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE) , convinced me to go for it and get the LTs.

Good info on the gaskets too, I was figuring on using the set that comes with the LTs, but I guess to trip to my local Ford parts department is in the cards.

I'll search for Faber's post so I can be prepared for delivery day!!!
Old 5/23/08, 01:12 PM
Bullitt Member

Hey, EastCoast, did you order them off ebay? If so what was the seller's name?

Congrats on the LT's !!!!! Sounds like yours will be on before mine, LUCKY! let us know how you like 'em
Old 5/23/08, 02:09 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by EastCoast07GtCs
I thought I had read a post somewhere about tools required, thanks. I also checked out Bill's excellent writeups since I was planning on doing the motor mounts even before an un-named person (SCOTT) , along with others (YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE) , convinced me to go for it and get the LTs.

Good info on the gaskets too, I was figuring on using the set that comes with the LTs, but I guess to trip to my local Ford parts department is in the cards.

I'll search for Faber's post so I can be prepared for delivery day!!!

Won't be long now!! Another tip for you would be to flatten the tube a little on the driver side were it passes by the steering shaft. I did it by supporting the tube in a cradle from underneath and hitting the top of the tube with a hard rubber hammer. Just about 1/16 inch deep by 3 inch long area. Won't hurt a thing but will give a little more clearance around the steering shaft. You want to do this before you get them bolted in the car. This is not required just a little insurance...it's tight in this area with any header.
Scott

Last edited by 70MACH1OWNER; 5/24/08 at 04:29 AM.
Old 5/23/08, 06:17 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Got my shipping confirmation last night, they'll be here 5/30!!!

So if all goes well with the install, maybe we can compare them side by side next time your in the area...

I'll check you out at the other site as well Jeff
Congrats Al. Your going to love the new sound. You'll have heads turning all the time!

And about the other site, I go by "06VistaBlueGT". Next event in the Jersey area, I'll send you a PM.
Old 5/23/08, 06:28 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Hey Eastcoast.... here is the tools you will need to flatten the header pipe like I posted. If you need PM me your address and I will send you the required tools!!!
Scott
Attached Thumbnails Pulled trigger on LT's-header-adjusters.jpg  
Old 5/23/08, 07:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Redrocket06
Hey, EastCoast, did you order them off ebay? If so what was the seller's name?

Congrats on the LT's !!!!! Sounds like yours will be on before mine, LUCKY! let us know how you like 'em
Yea Dean, got them off eBay. The guys name is tuna-tom. Looks like he has a set up for 449.00. Thats what I paid, and a straight 32.00 shipping in the US. Heres the link if you're interested...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OBX-0...mZ140235237106

And thanks for the congrats, I'll let you know how it goes and how they sound, and I'll expect the same in return.

Last edited by EastCoast07GtCs; 5/23/08 at 08:07 PM.
Old 5/23/08, 08:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER
Won't be long now!! Another tip for you would be to flatten the tube a little on the driver side were it passes by the steering shaft. I did it by supporting the tube in a cradle from underneath and hitting the top of the tube with a hard rubber hammer. Just about 1/16 inch deep by 3 inch long area. Won't hurt a thing but will give a little more clearane around the steering shaft. You want to do this before you get them bolted in the car. This is not required just a little insurance...it's tight in this area with any header.
Scott
Thanks for the tip Scott. So basically this will be insurance added to my also replacing the motor mounts with a set of prothanes right?
Old 5/23/08, 09:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

I have my LT's ordered also You guys are costing me a lot of money
Old 5/23/08, 09:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

Come on now Mark... I think me whining about everyone causing me to spend money is enough on this thread.
Old 5/23/08, 10:00 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Hey Al you've got an impressive list of mods there. If you really want a scare just run the numbers and think to yourself I'm not even FI yet. Oh sh*t!
Old 5/23/08, 10:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

It's funny, I was just thinking... It seems like every mod I do, two more wants pop up. I know someone told me when I first started that once I started wrenching I wouldn't be able to stop. Man was that an understatement!
Old 5/24/08, 03:59 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Thanks for the tip Scott. So basically this will be insurance added to my also replacing the motor mounts with a set of prothanes right?
Yep...
Old 5/24/08, 05:04 AM
Mach 1 Member

Awesome!!!!
Old 5/24/08, 05:18 AM
Bullitt Member

Yea Dean, got them off eBay. The guys name is tuna-tom. Looks like he has a set up for 449.00. Thats what I paid, and a straight 32.00 shipping in the US. Heres the link if you're interested...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OBX-0...mZ140235237106

And thanks for the congrats, I'll let you know how it goes and how they sound, and I'll expect the same in return.
I ordered mine on the 15th, I was just wondering who you used. I used racingpartsdepot (99.2% pos feedback when I ordered), and my email at home is messed up so I don't get emails except at work (different account) and when (if) he sent the tracking info it went to the nonworking email and he hasen't sent me the tracking info over Ebay's message system (after asking for it 2x) he does reply though. I called UPS and the only thing they could do was take where they are shipping from and where they are going to and tell me an arrival date for that route. The auction said they ship 1 day after payment clears so that should have been on the 19th and UPS said if shipped on the 19th they should have arrived the 22nd.
I'm sure he has alot of buisiness so it could take time to find my info, plus I feel like a 5 year old on Xmas Eve so that ain't helping. I'm sure UPS is just real busy with the holiday and all.....................
Old 5/24/08, 05:19 AM
Bullitt Member

OH, and I paid $481 with shipping too.
Old 5/24/08, 05:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

Sorry to hear about the shipping issues, I know what you mean though. I was expecting the same considering all the posts on the subject. Just got lucky I guess.

I feel your pain too, I know when mine are coming and I still can't stand the wait!!!!
Old 5/24/08, 05:46 AM
Bullitt Member

Not even 7 am and 3 post! I can see it will be a busy day at work for me!

Well, I got the tracking number from him this morrning!!! UPS said it was delivered on the 21st to the office of my apt complex (getting a house this year!!!!). So atleast it was deliverd, fast and on time, and my paranoia got the best of me. But I never got a notice from UPS or the office, so my beef is with them.....
Can't wait to open them! If I have time I will try to install them next weekend.
Old 5/24/08, 05:55 AM
Mach 1 Member

Great to hear Dean!!!! I'm shooting for next weekend as well, good luck, and let us know!!!!
Old 5/24/08, 07:36 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Hey Al, Dean and Mark,
First off congrats on the longtubes!!! Want to try and show you guys where I have suggested putting the small flat on the header tube where it passes by the steering shaft. It hard to see but I think you can get the idea where from these pictures. And remember it needs to be done before you install the header. You will need help holding the headers to do this also. You place the square end of the wooden block on the garage floor and then set the header tube to be flattened in the cradle end. Than using the black end of the hammer (hard end) give it a few good whacks. Flatten an area about 3 inches long. I flattened it about 1/16 inch. This won't hurt anything but will give you a little more clearance on the steering shaft. Next tip is for the guys putting in Prothane mounts is to replace the screws that come with the mounts. Reason is they are socket head cap screws that require an 8 mm allen wrench and on the passenger side a header tube lays right over this bolt. It is impossible to get any type of good torque on screw. But if you get hex headed bolts as replacements now you can get a open end wrench or box end on it. I believe the bolt that comes with the Prothanes is a 10mm x1.5 x 50mm long(2 inches). And be sure to get a grade 8 bolt. The pictures will show what comes with the Prothanes and my replacement. I will be sending the flattening tools to Al on Tuesday. You guys (and others) are welcome to ship the flattening tools to each other to use. As long as someday I get my hammer back. But it can't be in Texas and New Jersey at the same time.
Scott
Attached Thumbnails Pulled trigger on LT's-header-adjusters.jpg   Pulled trigger on LT's-prothane-mounts.jpg   Pulled trigger on LT's-prothane-bolt.jpg   Pulled trigger on LT's-steering-shaft-1.jpg   Pulled trigger on LT's-steering-shaft-2.jpg  

Last edited by 70MACH1OWNER; 5/24/08 at 07:38 AM.

Quick Reply: Pulled trigger on LT's