GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Pulled trigger on LT's

Search this Thread

Old 5/22/08, 03:16 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I'm guessing since there are no cats on them there would ultimately be an issue with inspection? And the H with the "small mufflers" are there for what? Lessening then sound?

I REALLY want to move up to LTs but not sure if it would be worth it if I'll have problems with them not being "street legal" here in Jersey...
Old 5/22/08, 08:35 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by EastCoast07GtCs
So I'm guessing since there are no cats on them there would ultimately be an issue with inspection? And the H with the "small mufflers" are there for what? Lessening then sound?

I REALLY want to move up to LTs but not sure if it would be worth it if I'll have problems with them not being "street legal" here in Jersey...
Hey Al, you should be totally fine with LTs in Jersey. Once I got mine installed, several of my friends from Bad Mustangs added them to their cars, and they live in Jersey. No problems at all they tell me.
Old 5/22/08, 08:55 AM

Man I never thought chosing exhaust would be this hard. I'm too am attracted to OBX due to the price and the positive reviews. However, I'd like to do the install myself since I have access to a lift and tools at a friends. But, I need cats to that pretty much means taking it to a muffler shop. I suppose I could get OBX and install as is then eventually have a shop cut the H pipe and weld in a couple cats. I was originally looking at Kooks headers and midpipe since it's a simple perfect fit affair, but with the money I'll save with OBX I could then buy a CAI and tuner.

Mike

Last edited by bikeman; 5/22/08 at 11:10 AM.
Old 5/22/08, 10:32 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I already have a Bassani X-pipe with hi-flow cats. Anyone know if there is an issue with keeping the bassani set up and using the OBX headers?
Old 5/22/08, 11:13 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 05fordgt
Hey Al, you should be totally fine with LTs in Jersey. Once I got mine installed, several of my friends from Bad Mustangs added them to their cars, and they live in Jersey. No problems at all they tell me.
Thanks Jeff, I appreciate the input. And you too Scott . Just not sure how much my wife appreciates it since I just ordered them. You guys are a bad influence on me LMAO

BTW: I am SO STOKED!!!!!!!!
Old 5/22/08, 11:40 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by bikeman
Man I never thought chosing exhaust would be this hard. I'm too am attracted to OBX due to the price and the positive reviews. However, I'd like to do the install myself since I have access to a lift and tools at a friends. But, I need cats to that pretty much means taking it to a muffler shop. I suppose I could get OBX and install as is then eventually have a shop cut the H pipe and weld in a couple cats. I was originally looking at Kooks headers and midpipe since it's a simple perfect fit affair, but with the money I'll save with OBX I could then buy a CAI and tuner.

Mike
Mike,
since they come with two h-pipes just throw the one with the small mufflers on and take the other one to a shop and have the cats welded in while you are driving with the other one
Old 5/22/08, 11:53 AM
Mach 1 Member

Now I know I've been hanging on these forums too much, that's exactly what I plan on doing OK, so maybe you guys aren't such a bad influence after all. LOL
Old 5/22/08, 12:30 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thanks Jeff, I appreciate the input. And you too Scott . Just not sure how much my wife appreciates it since I just ordered them. You guys are a bad influence on me LMAO

Old 5/22/08, 01:11 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Faber
Mike,
since they come with two h-pipes just throw the one with the small mufflers on and take the other one to a shop and have the cats welded in while you are driving with the other one
That is what I was going to do too! Mine should be here today or tomorrow as long as my wife is home to sign for them (I'll be at work). I just wish my home email was working so I could get a traking #. Ever since Time Warner went to Comcast my email won't work.

You can get 2 cats from Summitracing for $120, does any body know a better place to get them?
Old 5/22/08, 01:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

I thought I posted this already, but I guess not. WIll I be throwing codes now since I'll have no cats installed with these?
Old 5/22/08, 01:16 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
You'll need a new tune from Brent to load immediately after you install the headers. He will turn off the downstream sensors, but doing it this way might effect your inspection in a state where they hook you up for emissions check. Here in Texas, we don't need no stinkin' emissions test (except Houston).
Old 5/22/08, 01:19 PM
Bullitt Member

I thought I posted this already, but I guess not. WIll I be throwing codes now since I'll have no cats installed with these?
I think the Brenspeed and Bamachip tunes delete the rear O2's, if this is so then no you shouldn't. But to be sure and safe you can get a tune mailed to you by Brenspeed or Bamachips that will work well with the LT's. Or do a dynotune and have a piece of mind that it is spot on.
Old 5/22/08, 01:19 PM
Post *****

Almost forgot I've had the Kooks headers on for some time now with a 93 octane tune from Brent and no codes ever (knock on wood). It was an e-mail tune BTW.

You're gonna love it Al, the sound is oh so sweet. You will fall in love with you car again.

Last edited by 2k7gtcs; 5/22/08 at 01:20 PM. Reason: added tune info
Old 5/22/08, 01:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks guys. I'll get in touch with Brent right away. I can't wait!!!!!!!!

EDIT: So Gary, did you get another tune from Brent AFTER installing or are you saying the delete was already in the 93 tune you got originally?

Last edited by EastCoast07GtCs; 5/22/08 at 01:27 PM.
Old 5/22/08, 01:27 PM
Bullitt Member

I just got off the phone with Bamachips (where I got my tune) and he will email me the LT tune for free since I have his 93R tune. I bet Brenspeed would do the same For you EastCoast!
Old 5/22/08, 01:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks Dean, appreciate it! Was just gonna call Brent now LOL

EDIT: Just got the shipping info, they'll be here 5/30! WOO HOO!!!!!!

Now to Brenspeed, O2 extension harness and tune time! Do I need to get a set of MILs if the tune is turning off the O2 sensors?

Oh, and I saw it mentioned before but not sure I got the definitive answer... a set of prothane motor mounts to clear the steering column?

Last edited by EastCoast07GtCs; 5/22/08 at 06:58 PM.
Old 5/23/08, 08:49 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LOL, yeah, I've been told I am a good help at spending other people's money for their cars. . Next time I'm at a show in Jersey, I'll let ya know. That way, you can come out and hear what the LTs sound like.

Hey Al, since your in Jersey, have you checked out the other site badmustangsclub.com)? A bunch of people on there from the PA/NJ area, and we all hang out at car shows on the weekends. Great group of people. If your interested in joining up with us, hit the site, and let me know. We're all doing Carlisle in a few weeks. Gonna have over 60 cars and one heck of a weekend.

Last edited by 05fordgt; 5/23/08 at 08:51 AM.
Old 5/23/08, 09:48 AM
Mach 1 Member

Got my shipping confirmation last night, they'll be here 5/30!!!

So if all goes well with the install, maybe we can compare them side by side next time your in the area...

I'll check you out at the other site as well Jeff
Old 5/23/08, 10:00 AM
Post *****

Al not sure about the OBX, my Kooks had places for all the O2 sensors to go. I just used the extensions that came with the header kit to extend them and then Brents tune turned them off so they a physically there along with the high-flow cats but not on per say. They don't check emmissions here about all they will do is a DPS might check for cats visually.
Old 5/23/08, 10:44 AM
Mach 1 Member

Thank Gary Just ordered the extension harness and re-tune from Brent. Looking forward to getting going on the install, one week and counting!!!

Quick Reply: Pulled trigger on LT's