GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Mustang GT Automatic Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 8/2/07, 05:56 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by GT John
Not at all. Just trying to inject some possibilities.

Ask your tuner "where he is locking the converter"........ half throttle?

As stated earlier, your torque may be unlocking and relocking. Which would feel like you entered another gear.

In any case, its a programming issue that can be corrected.
I don't want it corrected!!! I am bragging about his tune. Have for over a year. Lidio's auto tune is great. Better than stock...better than Diablo's... better than Brenspeeds. All of these I have tried. Lidio's is the smoothest and the best for keeping the car is the best usable rpm range with none of the bogging around at 40/50 mph. He is to be congratulated for coming up with something the other tuners have missed.
Scott
Old 8/2/07, 06:05 PM
FR500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by don_w
my previous comment was tongue-in-cheek. I know they don't shift.
And I know you know that I know they don't shift

Seriously, I notice it all the time, and it happens very shortly after the shift into 5th at highway cruising speeds.

At full throttle you don't notice it, but by that time your over a 100 and paying attention to the little blue flashing lights of that CHP cruiser that's about to give you a ticket for doing 100 mph through downtown El Centro...

... can you tell I'm still recovering from that last weekend. I still have no idea what that's going to cost or if I can make it go away with traffic school here in AZ
Old 8/2/07, 06:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Unless you have an auto tran tune that locks the converter at.......say half throttle then the coverter is unlocking at about 5200rpm and then relocking at about 5400rpm when in 4th gear. (which is about 125mph)

When this issue came up Doug was notified. He spent 5hrs and put 100 miles on his Mustang datalogging the operation of the transmission and torque converter. His testing determined that the torque converter was not locking in most gears. He immediately developed an auto trans tune that spent sometime in testing before being released to the public. The guys is great...........he spots an issue and wont give up until he finds an answer.

Got an email from Doug today concerning the ALF of the auto trans. He says he is looking into it and will get back to me/us asap.
I would be interested in this. It seems that once the TC locks up in 4th and 5th gear, the throttle seems to be more 'responsive' than 1-3rd gears. I'd love to have a tune that locks the converter more often!
Old 8/2/07, 08:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SixtySix
At full throttle you don't notice it, but by that time your over a 100 and paying attention to the little blue flashing lights of that CHP cruiser that's about to give you a ticket for doing 100 mph through downtown El Centro...

... can you tell I'm still recovering from that last weekend. I still have no idea what that's going to cost or if I can make it go away with traffic school here in AZ
Shoulda went through Indio on the way home... you coulda been 2-for-2.
Old 8/3/07, 06:32 AM
Cobra Member

Doug will adjust his tunes to disable OD until ~50mph if you ask, or atleast he posted some time ago to see if people were interested. As far as OD being off until 67mph on the stock set up that would be very livable. I click my OD button off below 60 on the freeway all the time and if I want to pass or speed up I click it off so the car won't drop two gears and sound like I'm going nuts.
Old 8/3/07, 07:14 AM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by don_w
Shoulda went through Indio on the way home... you coulda been 2-for-2.
HaHa, I'll be going through there this afternoon on my way to Cypress... This time I'll be driving my GF's 6 banger Fireturd

Old 8/3/07, 06:18 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Error404
I would be interested in this. It seems that once the TC locks up in 4th and 5th gear, the throttle seems to be more 'responsive' than 1-3rd gears. I'd love to have a tune that locks the converter more often!
The trans tune I'm running shifts just like the way you would shift a stick shift.........at about 3k rpm in all gears except 1st, it shifts at about 1.5k to 2k rpm.

The torque converter locks at about half throttle..........and you can feel it lock.
When the converter locks its like you gave it a shot of NO2.
Old 8/3/07, 07:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

The trans tune I'm running shifts just like the way you would shift a stick shift.........at about 3k rpm in all gears except 1st, it shifts at about 1.5k to 2k rpm.

The torque converter locks at about half throttle..........and you can feel it lock.
When the converter locks its like you gave it a shot of NO2.
Who tuned yours like this? I would like to try that :-)
Old 8/3/07, 07:03 PM
Bullitt Member

Who tuned yours like this? I would like to try that :-)
See my sig.

Just him you want to try "Gt John's"
Feb 6th 2007 auto trans tune.

We tested several auto trans tunes. The one I'm using now is pretty wild in my everyday driver.

You wont be sorry.
Old 8/3/07, 07:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

I wonder if Doug would be able to update just the transmission part of my tune? My tune is custom tuned for the supercharger
Old 8/7/07, 07:03 PM
Bullitt Member

Bump

Hey Doug.

Hows the testing going.
Old 8/14/07, 05:49 PM
Bullitt Member

Update on the Mustang GT Automatic Transmission Strategy.

Got an email from Doug today. He is testing a brand new automatic transmission tune strategy using control points never before made available to the general public.

Thanks Doug.
Old 8/14/07, 05:58 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks John, keep us posted, no use all of us e mailing Doug he's busy enough. Have some new mods coming so will need to up date my tune. The wait may be worth it.
John, any thoughts of the St. Louis group getting together?
Old 8/14/07, 06:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

yes, please keep us informed! I'm quite interested in this!
Old 8/15/07, 09:05 PM
Bullitt Member

yes, please keep us informed! I'm quite interested in this!
+1
Old 8/23/07, 05:24 AM
Bullitt Member

UPDATE.

Received new automatic transmission tune from Doug a couple of days ago.

I'm testing the new strategy now. I drive my car about 50 miles everyday.

I will provide Doug with a full report this Sunday as to how the tranny's new strategy is working.

Hang in there
Old 8/26/07, 04:30 PM
Bullitt Member

UPDATE.

My testing of the new automatic transmission tune is completed. My field report was emailed today to Doug for his review and comments.

The only thing I changed in the new tune was the shift pressure from 1st to 2nd. Changed to -10. (way too hard)

The shift scheduling has stayed consistant (as first installed) all week after putting on 300 miles of highway driving.

I would encourage those that are thinking about running this tune to reset the KAM (remove ground or positive lead from the battery for 5 minutes and then reconnect) and then load the new tune.

Otta the Box:
What you can expect in Normal Driving (not WOT) is firm shifts (not slam you head back into the headrest shifts) in all gears.

Except for 1st gear, which shifts at about 1.5K, all othe gears will shift at about 3K. 4th to 5th gear shifts at 3k and 60 MPH.

With the converter locking between 2.5K and 3.0K (and staying locked) this new tune is a welcome sight. Like I've said before when the converter locks its like hitting the engine with NOS.

The pull in 5th gear is simlpy great............no other way to explain it.

The Automatic Transmission Strategy as described in the Mustang Owners Manual has been defeated.

There ya go. The ball is your court.

Hey Doug............thanks for listening.
Old 8/26/07, 05:46 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not to get to far off topic but in my F150 when the Tq conv locks and unlocks it sucks so bad. So i know exactly what GTJOn is refering to. Once my truck hits third gear and I am gaining power again that dam converter does it's thing and I drop about 1500 rpms. Seriously sucks *** being Procharged.

Richard
Old 8/26/07, 08:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

GT John: since you are already in contact with Doug about this matter (and since I know Doug is a very busy man!), could you ask him a question for me next time you contact him?

My car (Whipple, 4.10's, 3000 stall PI converter) has been custom tuned, I'd like to keep the motor tuning, but try out the transmission tuning that Doug has done for your car! How would I go about doing this? Will the 4.10's and 3000 stall trump any of his tuning that he did with your transmission?
Old 8/26/07, 08:24 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just what I'am looking for!

Quick Reply: Mustang GT Automatic Transmission