GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Mustang GT Automatic Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 8/2/07, 06:35 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER
Yes Don I am running the stock 3.31 gears and stock dia. tires. I know it seems high but it really isn't like you might think. In fact I spoke to Lidio about his auto trans tune before I purchased it and he is quite proud of the shift schedule he has created. It seems he has extended the shift point of each gear slightly all the way up to OD @ 67 mph. It truely is great. That why Brenspeeds tune was a let down because it shifted like stock again and was in OD at 40 mph. It felt boggy to me. It might seem like my engine rpm should be high but it really isn't. Remember we all buy these tune to gain performance. Lidio has added some additional driving fun thru his trans tune.
Scott
Scott, I'm running Brents 93 performance tune right now! but I also like the thought of the higher OD shift point ! Sounds like when I get back from the coast I'll be giving Lidio a call. I got to give you credit Pop's...with all the 1/4 mile track rat crap! posted in this thread, you posted some usable info.......
Old 8/2/07, 09:49 AM

You might see that it is not a bad thing.
I didn't say it was a bad thing. I've been driving with 4.10s so long, it just surprised me. If I was in 4th gear at 67mph (even with 28" dia tires), I'd be at 3,300 rpm. With 3.31s and stock dia tires, you're at about 2,750 rpm in 4th gear at 67mph. 2,750 is livable... that's where mine is at in OD at ~80mph (not that I ever drive 80mph ).

However, there are times when traffic limits everything to around 55-60, and I have no issue with rolling along in OD then... at least it runs a little cooler and gets better mileage. Might as well get some benefit out of going slow.
Old 8/2/07, 10:16 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by don_w
I didn't say it was a bad thing. I've been driving with 4.10s so long, it just surprised me. If I was in 4th gear at 67mph (even with 28" dia tires), I'd be at 3,300 rpm. With 3.31s and stock dia tires, you're at about 2,750 rpm in 4th gear at 67mph. 2,750 is livable... that's where mine is at in OD at ~80mph (not that I ever drive 80mph ).

However, there are times when traffic limits everything to around 55-60, and I have no issue with rolling along in OD then... at least it runs a little cooler and gets better mileage. Might as well get some benefit out of going slow.

One thing it for sure...we definitely drive in two totally different enviroments. You in San Diego and me in cornfield Ohio. This tune may be a problem with your 4:10's but it just lifts the spirits of the car a tad if your running stock gears. But try to remember what going into OD at 40 mph running stock gears was like. I know that was a long time ago for you but ... It sucks. And another benefit that I like about it is if I am rolling along say 50ish and step on the gas the transmission reacts much fast since it is not in OD.
Scott
Old 8/2/07, 10:19 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
why dont you just turn off od yourself insteaad of needing a tune not shift into it until a high speed?
Old 8/2/07, 10:24 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
..... Also, I doubt that the manual guys are shifting into OD at 40 mph and lugging around.........
Scott

I do that..... I don't like to go fast......
Old 8/2/07, 10:26 AM
FR500 Member

I've experienced the adaptive learning back when my car was stock and when I had a Diablo tune. Both when the car had the stock 3.31 gears. It would be apparent after a long highway drive, and after spirited mountain driving where I would be doing manual gear selection during especially tight switchbacks.

It was easy to remedy, just find a suitable place to "get into it" and all would return to normal.

What I do find interesting, is that once I put in 4.10's this "learning aspect" of our transmissions seemed to be minimized and only appears after a particularly long highway driving session, and even then it's nothing like it was with the 3.31's.
Old 8/2/07, 10:59 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by ren274u
why dont you just turn off od yourself insteaad of needing a tune not shift into it until a high speed?

I am going to assume you are speaking to me. There is much more to gain from getting a tune for these automatics then just extending the point where the OD kicks in. The "Tuners" turns off Ford torque management system which allows for all of the engines power to be transmitted thru the transmission. It allows us to chirp 2nd and 3rd gear when at WOT. It allows for quicker and crisper shifting. In short it give our performance cars a performance auto transmission. Just my opinion!!
Scott
Old 8/2/07, 12:46 PM
Bullitt Member

I am going to assume you are speaking to me. There is much more to gain from getting a tune for these automatics then just extending the point where the OD kicks in. The "Tuners" turns off Ford torque management system which allows for all of the engines power to be transmitted thru the transmission. It allows us to chirp 2nd and 3rd gear when at WOT. It allows for quicker and crisper shifting. In short it give our performance cars a performance auto transmission. Just my opinion!!
Scott
No I know all that, i have an auto. I was just refering to how you like that a certain tuner locked out od until 67 when all you would have to do is turn od off.
Old 8/2/07, 02:41 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Well it seems I have shocked a few people by saying Lidio's auto tune doesn't let OD kick in until 67 mph. I can imagine that it might seem like I must be running alot of rpm in the other gears but its really not true. Here are a couple of videos of my car going up thru the gears. One vid is of the speedo and the other of the tach. I am on a country road and am accelerating at a moderate pace. Sorry about the wind noise but I had my top down. I think you can tell I am not running excessive rpm's. All I can say is his tune keeps the car up on it's toes kind of. Keeps the rpm's up a little in each gear. Don't knock it until you have tried it. FWIW my gas mileage hovers right around 23 mpg. Hope the vids help you guys understand a little better.
Scott

http://s138.photobucket.com/albums/q...t=fd0c8f67.flv

http://s138.photobucket.com/albums/q...t=6dece2d1.flv
Old 8/2/07, 02:49 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Okay now I must be nuts. I was listening to the vids I just posted and was counting shifts. In both vids I counted six. Tell me I am not nuts. I know these cars have only a 5 speed trans. Maybe Lidio is even better than I thought!!
Scott
Old 8/2/07, 04:17 PM
FR500 Member

You sir, are nuttier than a fruitcake

That last one is more than likely the torque convertor
Old 8/2/07, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by SixtySix
Where do you buy a TC that shifts?
Old 8/2/07, 04:24 PM
FR500 Member

Oh c'mon now Don, you know it's not a shift. You mean to tell me you've never heard/felt and observed a slight drop in RPM when the convertor locks/unlocks? I do.

Look at his second vid and you can hear the slight RPM drop in fifth.
Old 8/2/07, 04:25 PM
Legacy TMS Member

You sir, are nuttier than a fruitcake

Really!!! Does yours do that? Post a vid please. I didn't know it did that until tonite. Check the vid again and take your left shoe off if you need to Tony. How many do you count??? I know it doesn't have six gears. So explain what you hear and see cause I for sure don't understand it. And if you notice it drops the rpm about 400 on that last shift what ever it is. I'm think'in Lidio has figured out how to give us a 6 speed out of a 5 speed trans. I am really serious about this. I didn't know it did that.
Scott
Old 8/2/07, 04:33 PM
FR500 Member

If I had a camera I'd be all over it

I have all of my digits (including my thumb) extended when I see the last drop on your tach from 2500-2100 RPMs.

Or did you let off the throttle?
Old 8/2/07, 04:45 PM
Legacy TMS Member

If I had a camera I'd be all over it

I have all of my digits (including my thumb) extended when I see the last drop on your tach from 2500-2100 RPMs.

Or did you let off the throttle?

Tony... it is natural for people to make fun of things they don't understand. I don't understand what I heard and see either. And "NO" I didn't let off of the throttle.
Scott
Old 8/2/07, 05:17 PM

Oh c'mon now Don, you know it's not a shift. You mean to tell me you've never heard/felt and observed a slight drop in RPM when the convertor locks/unlocks? I do.
I haven't had a stock converter in a very long time...

... and my previous comment was tongue-in-cheek. I know they don't shift.
Old 8/2/07, 05:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Okay now I must be nuts. I was listening to the vids I just posted and was counting shifts. In both vids I counted six. Tell me I am not nuts. I know these cars have only a 5 speed trans. Maybe Lidio is even better than I thought!!
Scott
Unless you have an auto tran tune that locks the converter at.......say half throttle then the coverter is unlocking at about 5200rpm and then relocking at about 5400rpm when in 4th gear. (which is about 125mph)

When this issue came up Doug was notified. He spent 5hrs and put 100 miles on his Mustang datalogging the operation of the transmission and torque converter. His testing determined that the torque converter was not locking in most gears. He immediately developed an auto trans tune that spent sometime in testing before being released to the public. The guys is great...........he spots an issue and wont give up until he finds an answer.

Got an email from Doug today concerning the ALF of the auto trans. He says he is looking into it and will get back to me/us asap.

I also invited Doug to join in the discussion we are having.

And Don.........how would you know about the auto trans shift scheduling changing after long highway miles. The longest trip your car has taken has been a whole bunch of 1/4 mile runs at 11.4 sec.
Old 8/2/07, 05:35 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by GT John
Unless you have an auto tran tune that locks the converter at.......say half throttle then the coverter is unlocking at about 5200rpm and then relocking at about 5400rpm when in 4th gear. (which is about 125mph)

This has been demonstrated many times on a dyno. It shows up as what I would call a "whoopty do"

Got an email from Doug today concerning the ALF of the auto trans. He says he is looking into it and will get back to me asap.

I also invited Doug to join in the discussion we are having.

And Don.........how would you know about the auto trans shift scheduling changing after long highway miles. The longest trip your car has taken has been a whole bunch of 1/4 mile runs at 11.4 sec.

Check the videos again please. I never went over 70 mph and was only going along at a moderate pace. No whoopty do here guy. Was no where near full thottle. I might just call the guy who made this tune (Lidio) for an explaintion of what his shift schedule really is. Do you guys think I made this up??
Old 8/2/07, 05:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Check the videos again please. I never went over 70 mph and was only going along at a moderate pace. No whoopty do here guy. Was no where near full thottle. I might just call the guy who made this tune (Lidio) for an explaintion of what his shift schedule really is. Do you guys think I made this up??
Not at all. Just trying to inject some possibilities.

Ask your tuner "where he is locking the converter"........ half throttle?

As stated earlier, your torque may be unlocking and relocking. Which would feel like you entered another gear.

In any case, its a programming issue that can be corrected.

Quick Reply: Mustang GT Automatic Transmission