GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Mustang GT Automatic Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 7/30/07, 05:00 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mustang GT Automatic Transmission

Sent an email to Doug this morning asking if there is anyway to disable the Automatic Transmission Adaptive Learn feature. No response yet, he is a busy man.

If any of you have the transmission tune (shift scheduling modified) and the car is taken on a long highway run, then you pull off the highway you may notice that the shift scheduling has changed.

After I got back from my trip it took nearly 2 days for the auto tranny to figure out I wasnt on the highway anymore and it had to relearn my driving habits in traffic and the shifting schedule returned to its modified programming.

These auto trans are a real challenge when it comes to programming.

I'm sure something can be done.
Old 7/30/07, 07:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've never noticed the "Automatic Transmission Adaptive Learn feature" you're referring to. And I've had Predator tunes, several different Bama SCT tunes, and at least 4 or 5 different custom blower tunes.
Old 7/30/07, 08:10 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by don_w
I've never noticed the "Automatic Transmission Adaptive Learn feature" you're referring to. And I've had Predator tunes, several different Bama SCT tunes, and at least 4 or 5 different custom blower tunes.
Hey Don,

Man.........you get around.

Yeah, the ford manual, I forget the page number, states that the GT automatic transmission has an adaptive learn feature.

The manual also states that if the battery cable is disconnected and then reconnected its takes quite sometime for the auto tran ALF to relearn your driving habits and that auto shifting may be somewhat erratic until the computer relearns.

The same thing happens went you go for a couple of hundred miles on the highway, non stop, for a while. When you get off the highway and get into traffic the auto shifting is erratic until you drive around in town for a couple of days. (relearn)

Anyway, I'm hoping Doug will email me with info on how to disable that feature.
Old 7/30/07, 08:52 PM

Interesting... I've just never noticed any difference. Maybe all the tunes I've used has gotten rid of that nuisance. I also reflash my tunes pretty regularly (once or twice a week on average), so that may have something to do with it, too.

And yea, I get around a little bit. LOL
Old 7/30/07, 08:55 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Not to hijack but Don you mention that you reflash often- do you really believe that to be helpful? I'm asking sincerely- sounds kinda sarcastic but I don't mean it that way.
Old 7/30/07, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by tom281
Not to hijack but Don you mention that you reflash often- do you really believe that to be helpful? I'm asking sincerely- sounds kinda sarcastic but I don't mean it that way.
I've always reflashed when I get to the track... just a habit. I wanted to make sure I had a "clean slate" so to speak. And now that I'm testing a "track" tune, I flash from street to track (and then back again after we're done).
Old 7/30/07, 11:23 PM
Cobra R Member

Darn John just stop every fifty or so miles and hammer the hell out of it.
I have never noticed mine to change but then I do hammer it a lot. One of these days it might just fall out in the road!
Old 7/31/07, 07:49 AM
Bullitt Member

I believe that there are shifting points built into the tunes. So by reflashing often, the ALF may not have time to learn your driving habits. Personally, I never refleashed mine since the original install and I have not really noticed any change. Maybe I just got used to it, I will reflash it today to see if I notice a difference.
Old 7/31/07, 02:20 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GT John,

I have an 06 GT auto w/ Doug's custom dyno tune. I have the Whipple on my car and have never noticed this adaptive learn feature. I had three tunes from Lidio at Alternative auto prior to the Whipple install. I then had the FRPP Whipple tune until Doug came to Oklahoma w/ his portable dyno and custom tuned my car. This is an interesting topic and tells me I need to read my owners manual more carefully. Good topic. I've never seen this posted before.
Old 7/31/07, 06:30 PM
Bullitt Member

$h1t... never read the manual before... but I flash my tune once a week too.

This is what the manual says:

"This vehicle is equipped with an Adaptive Transmission Control Strategy.
This Adaptive Transmission Control Strategy offers the optimal
transmission operation and shift quality. When the vehicle’s battery has
been disconnected for any type of service or repair, the transmission will
need to relearn the normal shift strategy parameters, much like having to
reset your radio stations when your vehicle battery has been
disconnected. The Adaptive Transmission Control Strategy allows the
transmission to relearn these operating parameters. This learning process
could take several transmission upshifts and downshifts; during this
learning process, slightly firmer shifts may occur. After this learning
process, normal shift feel and shift scheduling will resume."
Old 8/1/07, 05:00 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by mvon919
$h1t... never read the manual before... but I flash my tune once a week too.

This is what the manual says:

"This vehicle is equipped with an Adaptive Transmission Control Strategy.
This Adaptive Transmission Control Strategy offers the optimal
transmission operation and shift quality. When the vehicle’s battery has
been disconnected for any type of service or repair, the transmission will
need to relearn the normal shift strategy parameters, much like having to
reset your radio stations when your vehicle battery has been
disconnected. The Adaptive Transmission Control Strategy allows the
transmission to relearn these operating parameters. This learning process
could take several transmission upshifts and downshifts; during this
learning process, slightly firmer shifts may occur. After this learning
process, normal shift feel and shift scheduling will resume."
Hey Mikka,

Thanks for finding the info I was talking about and posting it.

I have the automatic transmission tune from Doug. The shift scheduling has been changed to my liking along with the shift pressures.

There is still a feature in the automatic transmission control programming logic that should be disabled. On long highway trips this feature is changing the shift schedule enough that it is noticable.
For those that would like to brush up on this subject visit:
http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/6278926-claims.html

By the way, once a custom tune is loaded into the PCM it should never have to be reloaded. Think about it. If that were the case you would have to take your car into Ford for reflashing every month or so.

What reflashing the PCM with a tune does do is clear the KAM (keep alive memory). Same as taking the battery lead off and then putting it back on, clears the KAM. Reflashing a custome tune is a good idea just for the sake of clearing the KAM whick could become overloaded with misinformation.

gotta go
Old 8/1/07, 05:31 AM
Cobra Member

I've noticed it. But never seemed to take very long to return to normal. I've taken it on a few 500+ mile (one way only stop for gas and potty) trips and getting off the freeway to get gas feels wierd, for lack of a better term, but by the time I leave the gas station it feels normal again.

Also when I flash to stock then back to Dougs tune, it feels snappier (?). It's a little harder to control the throttle feel so your not busting off the line at every red light. After awhile of driving it settles down a bit.

Be interesting to hear what Doug says.
Old 8/1/07, 10:09 AM
Bullitt Member

By the way, once a custom tune is loaded into the PCM it should never have to be reloaded. Think about it. If that were the case you would have to take your car into Ford for reflashing every month or so.

I agree BUT my custom tune had the shift points change. They shift much quicker than the stock tune. The question is: Does the ALF change these shift points after time? If it does then reflashing the customer tune will restore the shift points from the custome tune. Interesting. I am not sure if this can be disabled using the tuner (SCT) or not. I am sure there has to be a setting to disable it.
Old 8/1/07, 05:12 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
This thread is very interesting to me since I have an auto trans. I did notice the adaptive learning crap when I was running the stock tune and the Diablo tune I had when I first got the car. Since than I have run Lidio's tune from Alternate Automotive for over a year and love it. Never noticed that adaptive stuff at all with his tune. I than purchased Brentspeeds 93 octane back in June and ran it for several weeks. Never noticed the adaptive stuff with his tune either. I am back to Lidio's tune as my favorite so far. He has tweeked the shift schedule the best IMO. My car doesn't go into final OD until 67 MPH. I love that feature. Keeps the rpms up in the more usable range. I was disappointed with Brent's shift schedule. It dumps into OD at 40 mph under normal accelleration and than lugs until your up to 50. I think I want to try Doug's auto tune next. It is only fair to compare them all.
Scott
Old 8/1/07, 05:14 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by nynvolt
I've noticed it. But never seemed to take very long to return to normal. I've taken it on a few 500+ mile (one way only stop for gas and potty) trips and getting off the freeway to get gas feels wierd, for lack of a better term, but by the time I leave the gas station it feels normal again.

Also when I flash to stock then back to Dougs tune, it feels snappier (?). It's a little harder to control the throttle feel so your not busting off the line at every red light. After awhile of driving it settles down a bit.

Be interesting to hear what Doug says.
Exactly what I'm talking about. Same thing happened to me. Pulled off the highway to get gas after having my foot in it for 200mi. It takes a day or two of driving around in the city for the shift scheduling to settle back down.

The shift schedule and shift pressure plus having the torque converter lock at half throttle have all been programmed into my car.

The ALF for the auto cannot be turned off with the SCT. The tuner will have to do that in the software/tune.

All of this is of coarse is if it can be done at all. Might just have to live with it.

Doug's out somewhere I guess doing his job. I'll be glad when he returns and lets me/us know whats going on.

Later
Old 8/1/07, 05:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER
This thread is very interesting to me since I have an auto trans. I did notice the adaptive learning crap when I was running the stock tune and the Diablo tune I had when I first got the car. Since than I have run Lidio's tune from Alternate Automotive for over a year and love it. Never noticed that adaptive stuff at all with his tune. I than purchased Brentspeeds 93 octane back in June and ran it for several weeks. Never noticed the adaptive stuff with his tune either. I am back to Lidio's tune as my favorite so far. He has tweeked the shift schedule the best IMO. My car doesn't go into final OD until 67 MPH. I love that feature. Keeps the rpms up in the more usable range. I was disappointed with Brent's shift schedule. It dumps into OD at 40 mph under normal accelleration and than lugs until your up to 50. I think I want to try Doug's auto tune next. It is only fair to compare them all.
Scott
If you pull the positive lead off the battery and wait a while and then reconnect it, then go for a drive, you will notice that the transmission does not shift like it use to. If you listen real close you will hear noises coming from the drive line.

If you have access to a 4 post lift. Put the car on it (someone will have to be in the drivers seat for this one) have someone watch the drive shaft while the driver shifts the car from neutral to reverse the from neutral to drive. The driveshaft will have approx. 3" of play in it.

It takes a while for the automatic trans ALF to get that out of there. The Ford Owners Manual is right on with this one.
Old 8/1/07, 06:12 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by GT John
If you pull the positive lead off the battery and wait a while and then reconnect it, then go for a drive, you will notice that the transmission does not shift like it use to. If you listen real close you will hear noises coming from the drive line.

If you have access to a 4 post lift. Put the car on it (someone will have to be in the drivers seat for this one) have someone watch the drive shaft while the driver shifts the car from neutral to reverse the from neutral to drive. The driveshaft will have approx. 3" of play in it.

It takes a while for the automatic trans ALF to get that out of there. The Ford Owners Manual is right on with this one.

Well... you may be correct. But I have no reason to prove your point since I am happy with the way my car runs day in and day out with Lidio's tune. With his tune it does not act that way at all. I don't know why...but I am happy with the way may car runs every day. Why would I want to mess with perfection?
Scott
Old 8/1/07, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER
My car doesn't go into final OD until 67 MPH.
That seems pretty high. Do you still have 3.31 gears? And what tire dia?
Old 8/1/07, 09:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Wow... 67 mph for O/D is very high, but if you have stingers and 3.31 gears you won't get that ugly drone at all!

That Adaptive Learning in 5R55S should only adjust shifting pressure/firmness, not shift points (rpm range).

Yippee-ki-ye.
Old 8/2/07, 05:01 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by don_w
That seems pretty high. Do you still have 3.31 gears? And what tire dia?
Yes Don I am running the stock 3.31 gears and stock dia. tires. I know it seems high but it really isn't like you might think. In fact I spoke to Lidio about his auto trans tune before I purchased it and he is quite proud of the shift schedule he has created. It seems he has extended the shift point/mph of each gear slightly all the way up to OD @ 67 mph. It truely is great. That why Brenspeeds tune was a let down because it shifted like stock again and was in OD at 40 mph. It felt boggy to me. It might seem like my engine rpm should be high but it really isn't. Remember we all buy these tunes to gain performance. Lidio has added some additional driving fun thru his trans tune. Perhaps I can try to post a vid of my car going thru the gears. You might see that it is not a bad thing. Also, I doubt that the manual guys are shifting into OD at 40 mph and lugging around, so why should an automatic??
Scott

Quick Reply: Mustang GT Automatic Transmission