GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

MGW short throw shifter !!!!

Search this Thread

Old 1/28/07, 06:21 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll be home from Iraq in March - looks like this will be one of the first things I order. I held off all this time hoping for the new MGW shifter.

Looks great and will be worth the wait/price.
Old 1/28/07, 10:01 AM
NJ3
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MGW
okay guys,

the design is finalized and the patent attorney has filed the provisional paperwork. we are in production now and as promised here is a video of the test mule in our 2005 gt.

a little info about the vid

- the throw on this setting is about 2.500" 1-2

- the throw on the shifter is adjustable from a little over 3" to about 2.250"

- as you can see we have developed a way to have a short throw AND a short **** height AND little effort to move from left to right. i am literally using 2 fingers to push it into 5th and reverse. the centering spring to 3rd from 2nd however is quite positive and beefy.

http://www.mgwltd.com/george/2005MGWSHIFTER.MPG

regards
george
Maybe a dumb question(s), but why an adjustable throw? Why wouldn't the shortest be the best? Is there a benefit to a longer throw or a downside to a short throw? I still want one BTW.

Thanks
Old 1/28/07, 10:11 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by NJ3
Maybe a dumb question(s), but why an adjustable throw? Why wouldn't the shortest be the best? Is there a benefit to a longer throw or a downside to a short throw? I still want one BTW.

Thanks
The benefit of a longer throw is less "force" is required to move the handle. But, once you get use to the shorter throw, it really isn't an issue at all
Old 1/28/07, 11:12 AM
GT Member

George thanks for the video. So now that production has started and legal issues are being taken care of.... what is your ETA for purchases to be made? I may even be your first order!
Old 1/28/07, 12:38 PM
MGW
Former Vendor

i am shnooting for first of march for release of the shifter maybe sooner. it all dpends on the molds for the rubber parts.

the reason we made an adjustable throw shifter is due to the fact that everyone has different ideas of what is hard to shift and what is a short throw. some people could care less about having a REALLY short throw but want a shifter that is more precise and less rubbery feeling than stock. some guys do not like the added effort or notchiness of an extremely short throw shifter. some people actually like the shortest throw possible and are not worried about the notchiness or effort to shift. this shifter should appeal to just about everyone.

regards
george
Old 1/28/07, 01:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by MGW
i am shnooting for first of march for release of the shifter maybe sooner. it all dpends on the molds for the rubber parts.

the reason we made an adjustable throw shifter is due to the fact that everyone has different ideas of what is hard to shift and what is a short throw. some people could care less about having a REALLY short throw but want a shifter that is more precise and less rubbery feeling than stock. some guys do not like the added effort or notchiness of an extremely short throw shifter. some people actually like the shortest throw possible and are not worried about the notchiness or effort to shift. this shifter should appeal to just about everyone.

regards
george
George,

Will the shifter be height adjustable and does it have stops? Also if it's not height adjustable, can a taller handle like a tall Hurst handle be attached?

I have your Gripper on my '06 but really wanted something taller.
Old 1/28/07, 01:40 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Looks like a nice piece but I'm not going to change shifters again. Stock, Hurst and Pro 5.0.
Old 1/28/07, 02:27 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by GRAYPNY
Looks like a nice piece but I'm not going to change shifters again. Stock, Hurst and Pro 5.0.
I hear you. I only have the Saleen adapter, and as much as I want/like the MGW, something about $30 that is long paid off vs. ~$300 additional makes me wonder if it's "worth it." That isn't the best choice of words, because I'm sure that the shifter is worth it (especially over stock, but probably over any shifter).

But, in the end, I'll probably end up getting it anyway. MGW makes the best shifters around IMO, and it would probably get rid of that slop that none of us can stand.
Old 1/28/07, 05:33 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just one more thing to start saving money for!
Old 1/29/07, 08:45 AM
Mach 1 Member

George,
How about a Group Buy? You have lots of interest here. I'm sure your product speaks for itself....but "Word of Mouth" always wins long term!
Cut TMS members a good deal and sales will follow!!
Old 1/30/07, 10:39 AM
Mach 1 Member

WHAT? Nobody else wants a Group Buy on this?
Old 1/30/07, 10:53 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
I'm interested in one and if we can get it cheaper on group buy , of course I'd be interested ...
Old 1/30/07, 10:55 AM
Cobra Member

What he said.
Old 1/30/07, 10:57 AM
Mach 1 Member

C'mon George....Hook us up!!!
Old 1/30/07, 11:20 AM
Bullitt Member

i just watched the vid. looks real nice and easy and a short throw. I Like.
Old 1/30/07, 11:30 AM
MGW
Former Vendor

research and development costs are very high in my company so i am not sure how much of a discount will be there. and to be honest i wll putting alot of test miles on this car next month so i do not want to sell a whole lot of them the first time out also. i will probably run a small batch 0f 25-50 shifters. i can setup a group buy of 25 shifters for mustangsource no problem in hopes that you guys can start a test/reactions/comments thread about them to gain feedback.

regards
george
Old 1/30/07, 11:50 AM

I'm game. Out Hurst in with something better!!!!
Old 1/30/07, 12:07 PM
MGW
Former Vendor

okay here are a couple more videos. i still have not put in all the dust boots but the only noise i really hear is the engine and exhaust. not really hearing much from the tranny other than the noise that was there stock.

best thing is i have tried shifting hard from 2-3 at redline over and over and have not been locked out once so the design of the tranny attachment that we have come up with must work well. i am no expert drag racer so keep that in mind that my shifts may not be as fast as some

also, check out the second video as it really shows how fish tialed we can get going into second gear with this shifter. you can see how the camera shifts and the sound of the ires trying to grab. it shifts so fast into second that i can get at least 2-3 seconds of spin into second gear. not good for racing but fun for showin' off

http://www.mgwltd.com/george/2005mgwshifter2.mpg

http://www.mgwltd.com/george/2005mgwshifter3.mpg

regards
george
Old 1/30/07, 12:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by MGW

price range 250-300 dollars is my best guess.

regards
george
Any more refinement on the above guess on pricing?
How about pricing for the TMS Beta Testing Group Buy?!?
Old 1/30/07, 01:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Lowe!
How about pricing for the TMS Beta Testing Group Buy?!?
Yeah, this is what I was getting at! If you sell the first batch here at the low end of your estimate ($250), we could help give you feedback.

Quick Reply: MGW short throw shifter !!!!