GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

MGW short throw shifter !!!!

Search this Thread

Old 1/21/07, 08:12 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MGW short throw shifter !!!!

well just saw this at the mgw site, thought you guys would be bighting at the chomps to see it. I like it, wish it was for an auto. hope you like. OOOOOOOOOPPPPSSSSSSSS, Psych, its for the 04's, I pushed the wrong link, LOL. Oh well I guess a little longer for the shifter, LOL.
Attached Images  
Old 1/21/07, 08:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by sodaman
well just saw this at the mgw site, thought you guys would be bighting at the chomps to see it. I like it, wish it was for an auto. hope you like.
That's for the SN95 models.....
Old 1/21/07, 08:20 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by sodaman
well just saw this at the mgw site, thought you guys would be bighting at the chomps to see it. I like it, wish it was for an auto. hope you like.
When they're available, I'm gonna order a few in.
Old 1/21/07, 09:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

George said sometime next month
Old 1/22/07, 10:14 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by wsmatau
George said sometime next month
No offense, but I had an email communication with George more than a year ago about this and he mentioned it was in the works back then.

I hope you're right though.
Old 1/22/07, 10:43 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
I gotta agree- not to dis MGW, but come on already. That's why I bought a Pro50 and haven't looked back.

Its coming, its close, its almost here......
Old 1/22/07, 11:14 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by tech
No offense, but I had an email communication with George more than a year ago about this and he mentioned it was in the works back then.

I hope you're right though.

None taken. I e-mail him every month or so to check on progress. I too have been following closely for over a year. I know he had a big delay over last summer where no progress was made. He is always honest, as far as I can tell, he readily admits delays. He's never told me "next week/month" and left me hanging. I believe him when he said "I should start production in january for feb release." He told me he is running his prototype in his car now. He also said it was a "significant improvement" over anything else on the market now.
For me this is an overdue Christmas present. I e-mailed him in December trying to guage how much longer I would have to wait. I mentioned that my wife wanted to buy a shifter for me for a Christmas gift. George told me then that the MGW shifter would NOT be ready by Christmas, and that he would recommend the Pro-5.0 for what was available at the time. I decided to be patient. I hope the wait is worth it!!
Old 1/23/07, 10:34 AM
MGW
Former Vendor

we have finalized the shifter design and are now doing a first production run of the cnc components. Also we have ordered all the molds for the rubber boots and flanges etc. they should be ready late feb.

i know this has been a long delay but we actually have a contract with homeland security that basically tied our hands last year for any new development. the shifter was also delayed because of a MAJOR feature on this shifter that needed patent protection.

we have contacted our patent firm and are in the process of applying for a utlity patent on this feature. i will disclose it mid feb when we have all of our bases covered. the shifter will be the first of its type that i know of on any car. a very unique featuree that will hopefully appeal to many different customers.

hang in there we are getting VERY close

regards
george
Old 1/23/07, 01:56 PM
Cobra Member

Yep, that's why I haven't bought another shifter. Still waiting...
Old 1/23/07, 03:55 PM
NJ3
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by freebass55
Same here.
Old 1/23/07, 04:07 PM
Cobra R Member

+1. I have had money "stashed away" for this mod ever since I got the car.

All I can say is that if the S197 shifter is anything like the SN95 shifter in terms of superiority over the other brands, it is well worth the money and well worth the wait. I had a Tri-ax for a long while in my V6 before switching to MGW's, and the difference was unbelievable.

George, please throw us some type of clue as to what the "feature" is .
Old 1/23/07, 04:55 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by mikes rx
+1. I have had money "stashed away" for this mod ever since I got the car.

All I can say is that if the S197 shifter is anything like the SN95 shifter in terms of superiority over the other brands, it is well worth the money and well worth the wait. I had a Tri-ax for a long while in my V6 before switching to MGW's, and the difference was unbelievable.

George, please throw us some type of clue as to what the "feature" is .

If I had to make a guess... You can't miss a 3rd gear shift with the MGW shifter with the patent pending...........?
Scott
Old 1/23/07, 04:59 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Don't know, but you can't miss a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc. gear shift with a Pro5.0!

Hopefully the MGW shifter is worth all the waiting these guys have been doing....... I mean the car has only been released for three years now (sarcasm).
Old 1/23/07, 05:05 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by tom281

Hopefully the MGW shifter is worth all the waiting these guys have been doing....... I mean the car has only been released for three years now (sarcasm).

Your right Tom. Had a Pro 5.0 on my 96 Cobra and it was very positive. Hard to believe you could get much better. Also, as good as the MGW products are they really need to invest on speeding up get their products to market. Most of us will move on to the next generation Stang before they have all of their products out for the 05-07.
Scott
Old 1/23/07, 05:10 PM
Cobra R Member

I haven't missed a gear yet, and all I have is the Saleen adapter.

Personally, I like the Saleen adapter. For what it is and what it cost, I think it's the best bang-for-the-buck mod you can do. The feel is pretty nice, and it has a lot shorter throw. Unfortunately, it doesn't take care of the horizontal slop that occurs (if you are in third, you can move the shifter back and forth horizontally a little; for example, if you thought you were in neutral, but really in third)

I'm sure that the MGW shifter will be amazing. Like I said, the difference between the Steeda and the MGW in the SN95 was like night and day. The steeda was somewhat "hard" to drive, requiring a little force. The MGW, on the other hand, had a much better feel while shifting, and required less force.

A+ goes to MGW on the SN95 shifters, and I'm sure the S197 shifter will be the same. As much as I like the Saleen adapter, I'm pretty sure I will see myself getting the MGW one as soon as it comes out.
Old 1/23/07, 06:52 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I started with the Saleen adaptor too and used it for probably 6 months. I really, really liked it; it felt just like the Hurst shifter. Then I went to the Pro50, and that is like a night & day difference. It shifts absolutely as smooth as butter! Huge, huge difference.

Anyway I don't mean to take away from MGW's work; I'm sure their shifter will be great it's just disappointing the release is so late in coming.
Old 1/23/07, 07:13 PM
MGW
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by tom281

and this is the main difference between MGW and other companies. i do not make my living on mustang accessories. we have been a gov't contractor since 1970 and will continue to give them our number one priority. it is just the right thing to do.

this may sound like we do not care about our mustang accessories business but it is actually the complete opposite. i make the mustang and viper products because that is my passion. the military work pays the bills. the mustang stuff is what i enjoy doing. i have the ability to use our technology and resources to really think thru our products.

the positive of this is that i do not feel pressured in any way to rush a product to market just to make a sh^tL(*d of money off cusotmers . i want this shifter to be right. in the end it may not be any better than the pro5.0 triax or hurst to some people or they may not even like it at all but i am designing it the way i think it needs to be done. it took over a year to perfect the MGW shifter in the older cars and i am glad i did not rush it as we came upon some great ideas while engineering it. and it certainly was not with the first design that we ended up going with. i had a whole bin full of scrap prototypes. the S197 shifter is the same way. i have been working on this design for over 6 months and have gotten it to the point finally where i want it to be. the patented feature is actually a newer development that i have come up with just a few weeks ago. it really is going to be a worthwhile feature and the overall design of the shifter is just going to be in a class of its own.

a hint...

well lets just say that this shifter will have adjustability in several different areas not just the position of the handle.

regards
george
Old 1/23/07, 07:22 PM
Cobra R Member

I had a feeling it was going to be something having to do with adjustability. Now the only question is....what kind of adjustments??? Perhaps adjustable height, so that the throw could be shorter or taller, depending on preference (a la SN95 tri-ax; the old MGW didn't have adjustable height, just lateral handle adjustablility)

I can't withstand the suspense...is it the end of February yet?????
Old 1/23/07, 08:57 PM

I'm guessing adjustable throw/lever effort.
Old 1/23/07, 09:04 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by freebass55
.x2.

Quick Reply: MGW short throw shifter !!!!