GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

MGW short throw shifter !!!!

Search this Thread

Old 4/3/07, 07:44 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
I do see one thing that I need to do.

Looks like Ill be pulling my console and boot back off to get the dust cover on all the way.

I messed around for about 10 minutes trying to get the new dust boot over the square part of the shifter. After thinking to myself this is impossible, I left it alone and went on.
But I looked at the other guys install pics and he managed to get it over the shifter So I guess it is possible, lol.
Attached Thumbnails MGW short throw shifter !!!!-.jpg   MGW short throw shifter !!!!-off.jpg  
Old 4/3/07, 07:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Stoenr
and it does not vibrate if your one who likes to rest your hand on the shifter while driving.
or anything else if you prefer
Old 4/3/07, 08:13 PM
MGW
Former Vendor

Looks like Ill be pulling my console and boot back off to get the dust cover on all the way.

I messed around for about 10 minutes trying to get the new dust boot over the square part of the shifter. After thinking to myself this is impossible, I left it alone and went on.
But I looked at the other guys install pics and he managed to get it over the shifter So I guess it is possible, lol.
it is hard to do but very possible but you will need to take the sound plate back off to attempt. if you do not it will be next to impossible. try getting the drivers side on first and then the passenger side .

regards
george
Old 4/3/07, 08:30 PM
eci
Banned

Guess what I just got back from doing?
Old 4/3/07, 08:32 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by MGW
it is hard to do but very possible but you will need to take the sound plate back off to attempt. if you do not it will be next to impossible. try getting the drivers side on first and then the passenger side .

regards
george

Ah, ok, you'll need to revise the instructions then. It tells you to put the sound plate in at step 14. Then at step 16 goes the upper dust boot.

Yes, not having the sound plate in there would have made it easier Im sure.
Old 4/3/07, 08:48 PM
MGW
Former Vendor

Ah, ok, you'll need to revise the instructions then. It tells you to put the sound plate in at step 14. Then at step 16 goes the upper dust boot.

Yes, not having the sound plate in there would have made it easier Im sure.

are you kidding me!!!!!!

thanks for telling me what a bonehead mistake. i rushed with the instructions to get them out the door. i really should have gone back and proof read that.

i will change it tomorrow. thanks for the heads up

george
Old 4/3/07, 08:50 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by MGW
are you kidding me!!!!!!

thanks for telling me what a bonehead mistake. i rushed with the instructions to get them out the door. i really should have gone back and proof read that.

i will change it tomorrow. thanks for the heads up

george
Thats what the beta tester run was for right
Old 4/3/07, 08:58 PM
Legacy TMS Member

You could also add into step 19 to reinstall the console before installing leather shift boot. but thats a no brainer.
Old 4/3/07, 10:18 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by TacoBill
I'll be doing a complete write-up with pics and vids on Saturday in my usual TacoBill fashion.

I'm sure George's written instructions are adequate for the mechanically inclined. However, I usually tend to go overboard with every detail so the regular Joe can do it.
Thanks very much Bill. Your write-ups are greatly appreciated by all of us here at TMS. Mine arrived today but I'll wait until you have completed your write-up before installing it.

Jon
Old 4/3/07, 10:22 PM
eci
Banned

I changed mine to 8. Adjustability is both a blessing and a curse. You keep wanting to go underneath and change it to try out different settings!

WOT 2nd gear to 6,000 RPM, the shifter effortlessly slides right into 3rd. Incredible compared to the stock piece of crap

The instructions are good other than typos ( I know George rushed them to satisfy our frothing mouths ) and the error where it has you install the sound plate before the boot.

The only issue that *might* get some people is dialing in the shift handle angle so you don't rip the boot. Pay attention and test it SLOWLY before you lock it down. Gently move the shifter all the way over and check for boot contact.

EXCELLENT PRODUCT GEORGE!
Old 4/3/07, 10:33 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Just got mine in today, and I have it installed. Took about 4 hours, a split fingernail, and a bunch of scratches.

Seems a little tight on the drivers side due to my after market leather shift boot. Since the leather is thicker, when I push the shifter over for 1st or 2nd gear, there is hardly any room between the black shifter arm and the console. I ended up flipping it over, so the nuts are on the passenger's side, and the allen screws are on the driver's side. Still enough room to tighten them, and it's smoother on that side since the allen screws are flush, so seems to work better.

I've got mine in the lowest setting too, but it still sees higher than the stock shifter, the Hurst, and the Pro 5.0. With all of those, I used the stock ball, with this shifter, I got the Gripper Shifter Ball and the handle with the two inches of metal showing. Looks really good. The two inches of metal before the shifter boot collar must add a little height to it.

I've got mine at 6 turns out. Not as notchy as the Hurst but longer throw. More notchy than the Pro 5.0, but shorter throw. So basically, a nice medium since I thought the Hurst was too notchy and the Pro 5.0 too long.

Best news, no vibration/squeaking sounds. The Pro 5.0 was driving me up the wall, squeaky and extreme NVH.

Still need to adjust the shifter arm so the shifter ball is a little more in the middle, since it's rubbing the leather boot and console against the arm shifting into second, but so far, it's the best shifter I've had yet.

Pics tomorrow in daylight.
Old 4/3/07, 10:40 PM
eci
Banned

Hm, flipping it over is a good idea....might try it.

Wife took a "going into surgery" pic:

Old 4/3/07, 11:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by eci
Hm, flipping it over is a good idea....might try it.

Wife took a "going into surgery" pic:
I like those ramps. Tell me about them.
Old 4/3/07, 11:19 PM
eci
Banned

Originally Posted by Phorty
I like those ramps. Tell me about them.
Expensive, plus expensive shipping, but worth it. Ramps for life. They are long too, so even if you're lowered they work. They are Dambach Aluminum Ramps:

http://dambachramps.com/

Mine are the ML66:

http://dambachramps.com/oilchangedisplay.html

1500 lbs rated each. I can't endorse them enough.
Old 4/4/07, 01:07 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Hats off to you installing on drive up ramps.
As I was breaking my back on the drive up lift I was saying, "No way could I be a mechanic."
Old 4/4/07, 01:08 AM
eci
Banned

Hats off to you installing on drive up ramps.
As I was breaking my back on the drive up lift I was saying, "No way could I be a mechanic."
It was pretty tight there. The shifter is getting near the middle of the car so even my 10" ramps barely help. Had my wrists torqued all kinds of different ways!
Old 4/4/07, 12:19 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by eci
It was pretty tight there. The shifter is getting near the middle of the car so even my 10" ramps barely help. Had my wrists torqued all kinds of different ways!
hey eci, I am in SD too, will be installing my shifter early May I may drop you a call for some help!

as far as the ramps go, I like these:

http://www.raceramps.com/

BTW, does anyone know if the MGW bushings are in yet?
Old 4/4/07, 12:49 PM
MGW
Former Vendor

BTW, does anyone know if the MGW bushings are in yet?

they should be done late next week.

george
Old 4/5/07, 04:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For those of us who did not get in on this early group buy, when will this shifter be available for puchase?
Old 4/5/07, 07:00 PM
MGW
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by neil07gt
For those of us who did not get in on this early group buy, when will this shifter be available for puchase?

PLEASE SPREAD THE WORD GUYS!!!! WE ARE TAKING PHONE ORDERS RIGHT NOW. WE ARE IN PRODUCTION OF THEM AND ORDERS ON NEW SHIFTERS WILL SHIP IN ABOUT 2 WEEKS.

REGARDS
GEORGE

Quick Reply: MGW short throw shifter !!!!