GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

MGW short throw shifter !!!!

Search this Thread

Old 4/3/07, 12:31 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Nice, was sitting here waiting for me when I came back to work from lunch. Will pull it in on the lift as soon as I get out and get going on the install.
Old 4/3/07, 12:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Stoenr
Wow, UPS a day early?!
4:53 A.M. OUT FOR DELIVERY
Grats dude, now you need to re-arrange your install schedule...Cannot wait until tomorrow to get with it......

Mike
Old 4/3/07, 12:36 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Yeah, perfect it came in today, Im off at 5, shops open til 8. Gives me 3 hours to install. Im hoping for an hour or 2 at best.
I do have drive on lifts, and all the tools known to man to use.
Old 4/3/07, 01:14 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just installed the Pro 5.0 and used the OEM rubber shift boot. Not sure if it's used with the MGW. The Pro 5.0 instructions state to install the shifter and set the stops. Then take the shifter off, put the rubber boot on and re-install. The boot is a PITA to put back on. I just took the floor console off, slide it towards the back seat and had plenty of room to put the rubber boot back on. The boot can be put back on with the console there, but it's a fight. Four screws and two nuts, 5 minutes to take the console off...well worth it.
Old 4/3/07, 01:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

Yeah, perfect it came in today, Im off at 5, shops open til 8. Gives me 3 hours to install. Im hoping for an hour or 2 at best.
I do have drive on lifts, and all the tools known to man to use.
Wow Stoenr, sounds a lot easier than doing the install in my garage using a jack.
Old 4/3/07, 01:39 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Id be more than willing to lend a hand and we can do it at the shop after hours. Tues/Thurs after 5.
Old 4/3/07, 02:18 PM
eci
Banned

Couple things I did wrong:

1. Removed the e-brake plastic to put some sound deadener on the metal handle to snuff rattles. Broke 2 of 6 tabs

2. Ripped shift boot. The instructions say to align the handle in the center of the shifter opening. Doing this moves the clamp edge off to the driver side slightly. The bolt heads smashed the shift boot into the console edge, and ripped on the 1 shift. I then aligned the bracket exactly parallel to the console plastic. This puts the handle in the center of the whole console area, instead of the center of just the shifter opening. It does not rub in this position.

I should add some cars are slightly different. I would suggest following the instructions exactly, and then slowly testing the shifter for rubbing. I didn't bother, I wanted to shift! Oh well. In my case it wasn't the handle that was rubbing in the "centered to console opening" position, it was the forward driver side bracket edge, the bolts themselves.
Old 4/3/07, 02:38 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Thanks for the info. I will take extra caution when it comes to this part.
Old 4/3/07, 02:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Id be more than willing to lend a hand and we can do it at the shop after hours. Tues/Thurs after 5.
Thanks, I appreciate the offer. I'm going to be in Hawaii on my honeymoon starting Saturday until Monday, the 16th. Due to the trip, I told MGW to hold off shipping my shifter until the bushings come in. I figured I wouldn't get to the install until after I got back. I'll look you up when I get back in town and if you're available, we can do it then. Good luck on your install!
Old 4/3/07, 02:51 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Cool, have fun and congrats!
Old 4/3/07, 04:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Mine was delivered today. Great looking product with very detailed written instructions.

1 question though. It would be nice to have pictures of the parts mentioned to go along with the instructions. Anyone planning on providing some, or are there any out there now?
Old 4/3/07, 04:46 PM
Cobra Member

I'm jealous. I just got back from vacation and checked my UPS, and it hasn't been updated since the 31st.
Old 4/3/07, 04:54 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 05Blackbeauty
1 question though. It would be nice to have pictures of the parts mentioned to go along with the instructions. Anyone planning on providing some, or are there any out there now?
I'll be doing a complete write-up with pics and vids on Saturday in my usual TacoBill fashion.

I'm sure George's written instructions are adequate for the mechanically inclined. However, I usually tend to go overboard with every detail so the regular Joe can do it.
Old 4/3/07, 04:57 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Man that shifter looks so nice it makes me want to buy one and I have an auto. How about a new shifter for us auto guys George??? Obviously nothing perfromance oriented just something to replace the fugly factory handle.
Old 4/3/07, 05:05 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
I don't even have an auto and I want that LOL!!
Old 4/3/07, 05:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Tispco
It sounds like eci resolved his problem. Anyways, this was the **** he was talking about. It is metal and part of the Premier Interior Package for '07.
I SURE WISH THIS WAS AVAILABLE IN 2005
Old 4/3/07, 06:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

Go back a few pages in this post, and watch the 20 or so minute video George posted. Then, re-read the included instructions. It will all make sense to you. Also, once you get under the car, and actually see the parts being referred to, it becomes very evident what is being referred to....My only experience with the shifter was installing the Saleen Block, and urethane bushings. It's not confusing, you'll see....

Mike
Old 4/3/07, 06:33 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Ok, shes installed. Scraped knuckle, small cut on finger, and a scrape on the arm was no big deal at all.
Very easy install, no need to worry about pictures of parts, they are labeled in the bag, and there is not that many of them really.

Instructions are very well layed out.

I set the height to the lowest and that seems about even with stock, I dont think it can go any lower than stock height.

It just rained and the cars clean so I dont wanna go out cruising now, but at idle Im very very impressed, and happy. Look for a follow up later after I put some miles on it.
Old 4/3/07, 07:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

Ok, shes installed. Scraped knuckle, small cut on finger, and a scrape on the arm was no big deal at all.
Very easy install, no need to worry about pictures of parts, they are labeled in the bag, and there is not that many of them really.

Instructions are very well layed out.

I set the height to the lowest and that seems about even with stock, I dont think it can go any lower than stock height.

It just rained and the cars clean so I dont wanna go out cruising now, but at idle Im very very impressed, and happy. Look for a follow up later after I put some miles on it.
Those heat shields will tear ya up!! So, what setting did you set it at as far as the shift throw?? How does it feel at idle?? Too notchy set that short? What shifter did you replace? How does it compare...?? Cmon man, dish the dirt...
Anyone who receives early has to talk........
Old 4/3/07, 07:23 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Got Oatz
Those heat shields will tear ya up!! So, what setting did you set it at as far as the shift throw?? How does it feel at idle?? Too notchy set that short? What shifter did you replace? How does it compare...?? Cmon man, dish the dirt...
Anyone who receives early has to talk........
Haha. It was the razor blade cutting the Dynamat that got my finger. (paper cut like) Not sure where the chunk of skin came off my knuckle. And I think the scrape on my arm was from rubbing on the rusty H pipe while tightening up some bolts.

I went with 8 turns from bottom out. I think George mentioned that is an ideal median. I set the height to the lowest possible, which seems about even with stock.

It feels great! I went from a stock shifter. It is definitely less clunky than others I have felt. I cant see missing a gear with this thing thats for sure.

It does take a little more muscle than stock of course, thats a given. But was smooth and easy enough for my girl to run thru the gears without a problem, and she doesn't know how to drive stick, lol.

I give it an A. From the install with instructions, to the test drive.
A couple of minor typos in the instructions is the only thing I could pick out wrong with the whole setup.

Oh and as far as any noise, I hear nothing coming from the shifter what so ever, and it does not vibrate if your one who likes to rest your hand on the shifter while driving.

Quick Reply: MGW short throw shifter !!!!