GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Journal: MY American Racing LT Header install, day by day

Search this Thread

Old 5/30/07, 10:23 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Lowe!
May 29

Thanks for posting those pics James, especially since my camera is still outta town. Looking at your pics, mine doesn't look too far from yours. I noticed my hangers stick out thru the mounts unevenly and about as far as yours, so maybe I'm closer than I think.

I was able to get the H-pipe on the headers, and the hangers in the brackets, but I couldn't get the H-pipe to slide up as far as I'd like. Luckily, I did NOT have to loosen the headers to get it to go on. The H-pipe didn't line up perfectly with the collectors, but it was only about 1/2 inch off. I also flared the H-pipe's sloted end a little bit more to get it over the collectors a little easier.

I'm stuck tho, 'cause I couldn't move the H-pipe up far enough on the header collectors for the tail pipes to line up with the back of the H-pipe. After trying to muscle it on, and pounding it w/ a hammer/block of wood, I gave up. I needed to install the CMCV DPs anyway (they are included in the new tune for the headers, etc), so I left the bottom of the car and headed for the intake.

At least I finished the deletes install. Although one of the injectors would NOT come off w/ the fuel rail. It would always pop of the rail, and spill gas all over the place. Eventually, it came off once I gave it some "individual attention", then I popped it back onto the rail and everything was fine. I was suprized to see a fair amount of motor oil on the plates and in the intake. Not sure what's up w/ that.

Anyway, I spent about an hour wrestling w/ the H-pipe. I think I'll try to clamp it down to the headers, tie up the loose end to the tranny mount, and tie up the tail pipes, then take to an exhaust or nearby speed shop to raise it up high, and reset the exhaust pieces. Besides, it will be real fun driving it around with no mufflers, just headers into those hi-flow cats and H-pipe.

Tonight; battery, those 2 steering column 10mm nuts on the internal side of the firewall, the 4 O2 sensors, tie-up loose exhaust pieces, tune, fire it up (I hope)! BTW, do we have to trim off the little green tabs on the front O2 sensor connectors to get it to fit in the extension cables??

Time spent:1 hr Total on project: 19 hrs
No you don't have to, atleast he didn't cut the tabs. The h-pipe is a little tight,but it went on no problem.As far as the injecters, make sure to put a little oil on the o rings before re-installing them.
Old 5/30/07, 06:39 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I didn't cut anything except the off-road use only tag off of my headers.
Old 5/31/07, 06:02 AM
Mach 1 Member

The little tabs I'm talking about were for the the O2 sensor extensions. The connectors on the extensions I have are for the blue rear O2 sensors, so for the green front sensors to fit, the little alignment tabs were trimed off. It was easy as they are plastic. By the way, I only needed to use 3 of the 4 extensions. The driverside rear sensor reached nicely with just the MIL eliminator in place.
Old 5/31/07, 06:10 AM
Mach 1 Member

May 30

DONE!!

I clamped the H-pipe to the headers, even though it wasn't quite all the way on. I then got creative with several long metal hose clamps and secured the H-pipe to the tranny brace to make sure nothing slipped off. I then used some more hose clamps to secure the loose ends of the tail pipes to a little black tubular frame support. Everything was solid.

I then popped in all 4 O2 sensors, MIL eliminators for the rear, and 3 of 4 extensions. Popped in the battery. Make sure your key fob is nearby, the alarm, if equipped, will go off when power is retured. Tuned it with the new 93 oct Race tune CR from TillmanSpeed emailed to me. So far so good.

I was set to drive over to a local speed shop to line up all the pipes and for final adjustments. So I just about crapped my pants when it started it up. Talk about LOUD!! LT headers into nothing but a hi-flow catted H-pipe. HOLY-SHEEIT

It was kind of an odd sound, but man was it loud, too loud.
Old 5/31/07, 06:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

TO continue...

at Texas Motorsports Inc, we got the Stang up on a lift. Man is that the right way to work under a car. The H-pipe went on easily, and the tailpipes were clamped. We ran into some issues trying to get the Flowmaster tips to line up in the cut outs. Those cheap azz clamps that come w/ the flows are garbage, but that's not news to anyone I'm sure.

Since I was there, they asked if I wanted to dyno it. So I said what the heck. #s were less than I'd hoped. However, conditions were not the best. This was on a MustangDyno, around 5:00 in the afternoon, temp: ~90*F, humidity ~60%. We monitored A/F ratio, and let's just say it was a little FAT. I haven't scanned the dyno sheet yet, but here is what y'all care about:

RWHP: 311
RWTQ: 330

A/F was at or below 11:1. I leaned it out at WOT 6% b/t runs 1 and 2, and 4% more b/t runs 2 and 3. The A/F got closer to 12:1. but still below, with a HUGE dip (down to ~9.8:1) at around 5,000 RPM. The leaning alone gained me 6rwhp and 7rwtq b/t runs 1 and 3. The car did NOT continue to pull above 5K. Just flat lined and started to decrease around 5,800.

The headers sound pretty sweet. I'm not 100% satisfied yet, as I need to trackdown some new noises, I'm not used to. I'm guessing some small leaks and rattles somewhere. The tone is deeper and mellow at idle. Revving the engine makes it sound like a race car. My neighbor really liked it. I'm gonna have get use to it. Maybe I'll try some of those FRPP GTA axlebacks . The good news, is the drone is much less evident . I'll give it a few days/weeks before I change things around. Let everything settle in, get the leaks and squeaks ironed out.
Old 5/31/07, 07:12 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

You sparked some intrest for LT after this thread. Im deff thinking about these sometime now. Any new pics?
Old 5/31/07, 07:41 AM
Mach 1 Member

Naww, sorry, wife took the camera out of town for the week. I can take some when she gets back. Anything in particular you want a pic of?
Old 5/31/07, 07:56 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Anything really. Engine bay shot(with LT visible) maybe some underbody shots. I wanna make sure I'd be alright. I'm lowered on steeda springs but Im also on 20's. I hear some people drag, just wanted to get an idea of how low it dropped. Other then that, im up for anything.
Old 5/31/07, 08:11 AM
Cobra Member

Finally you finished the install!!! . Is it unbearably loud?

Well, the reason you didn't get as much as you expected is the weather was hot,and humid, the same thing when I got dynoed too. Maybe you could dyno 315-320 with lower humidity,cooler weather.
Old 5/31/07, 08:19 AM
Mach 1 Member

It's definitely NOT too loud with the Flows hooked up. When I was driving around with the exhaust coming straight out of the H-pipe under my seat, THAT was WAY TOO LOUD!

I'm sure the weather didn't help. I think a custom tune would be good for 15-20 more hp. I'm gonna keep tweaking the A/F at WOT and spark from time to time. Kinda of an as-you-go custom tune, and just keep a close ear out for pinging. At least until I can talk to CR or get that custom dyno tune. I'll try to get those charts scanned in soon.
Old 5/31/07, 08:22 AM
Cobra Member

Ok cool. Would you reccomend your setup to people like me with flowmasters?
Old 5/31/07, 08:29 AM
GT Member

Glad to hear you finished it! Great write-up.
I would really like to do this install in the future. I just don't know if I have the patience.
Old 5/31/07, 08:41 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by mustangfan123
Ok cool. Would you reccomend your setup to people like me with flowmasters?
I wouldn't base the recommendations for headers and mid-pipes on the mufflers. I'm not 100% sold on the sound w/ the Flows right at this moment, but I've only driven the car 20 miles since the install, so I need some time to work out any leaks and squeaks, and let everything settle down. (nice run-on sentence )

If you are going to get headers, then I would recommend these.
Old 5/31/07, 09:02 AM
Cobra Member

Ok. At least I know they sound nice with the Flows,they are not too loud or raspy, and have minimal drone. If the leaks and stuff don't settle in, it would be a good idea to go back under the car to check if everything is tightened good.
Old 5/31/07, 09:08 AM
Bullitt Member

Congrats! I can't wait to hear them!
Old 5/31/07, 09:14 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by SP_51-F1
Congrats! I can't wait to hear them!
+1
Old 5/31/07, 04:26 PM
Cobra Member

Just heard the exhaust and it sounds great! Very deep at idle and really comes to life when you step on the gas. I do like the way it sounds with Flowmasters, but I really think its going to sound amazing with the GTAs
Old 5/31/07, 04:52 PM
Cobra Member

Now I know it sounds good,so I think this setup is right for me. When he posts the video and I watch it will be the final deciding factor for me.
Old 5/31/07, 09:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by SlamMan02
Just heard the exhaust and it sounds great! Very deep at idle and really comes to life when you step on the gas. I do like the way it sounds with Flowmasters, but I really think its going to sound amazing with the GTAs
Just an FYI Matt, this was your post # 666. Hurry make another one!

But seriously, it was nice meeting you (and your family) in person. I'm glad you got a chance to hear it live (you were just the 3rd person I've showed it too so far). I sure would like to hear my car w/ the GTAs...

As for posting the video and such. Don't hold your breath. I'll try to figure it out one of these days.
Old 5/31/07, 09:49 PM
Cobra Member

I wont hold my breath waiting on the video. Maybe someone on this forum knows how to load videos to a computer. I think you have to hook the camera up to the computer with a certain cable and somehow download the video as a file onto your hardrive and then post it as a file(don't remember which type of file videos are) in your post.

Quick Reply: Journal: MY American Racing LT Header install, day by day