GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Journal: MY American Racing LT Header install, day by day

Search this Thread

Old 6/20/07, 08:54 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Look at all the Austin Stangers!!! I love it!
Old 8/7/07, 10:07 AM
Mach 1 Member

A bump mostly for officespace and his upcoming JBA header install.

But also an update. I'm still diggin' the sound, even that little trumpety thing just right at 2500rpm.

Went for another dyno run a few weeks ago. Still can't get the A/F right. Still stuck on 300rwhp.

We'll see what CR can do to help me out again.
Old 9/28/07, 02:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Hey Lowe!,

Wanted to thank you for this write up and tips...I used this for my header install...Saved me a lot of time and effort getting over the same hurdles you outlined.....

Can I ask?....you mentioned you 'hand torqued' the header bolts to 25-30 ft/lbs. The factory manual states 18 ft/lbs. for the stock manifold nuts. Did your new headers specify the higher torque setting? It seems high to me when your torquing into the aluminum.

thanks again....hags
Old 4/26/11, 10:44 AM
Mach 1 Member

Wow, been a long time since I've seen this thread....ahhh the memories. As for the long term update. The headers have been GREAT. Still the best sounding Mustang I've heard! I haven't had any issues with loose bolts or exhaust leaks. Only hassle is the CEL for O2 sensors, which I usually ignore until the annual emissions testing adventure. Hope everyone is enjoying their Stangs!!
Old 4/26/11, 04:36 PM
Bullitt Member

How are you passing your emissions with long tube headers? Im just curious because my test is coming up and sittingntye way it is my car will fail
Old 4/27/11, 03:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Gtpony325
How are you passing your emissions with long tube headers? Im just curious because my test is coming up and sittingntye way it is my car will fail
It's been a battle. I installed a high flow cat H-pipe (mostly cosmetic so it appears to have cats visually), MIL eliminators, an old trick used for years, and most importantly the right tune. Mine has been right on the edge for years. I've been driving around most of time with the CEL on. When it comes time for emissions testing, I clear the codes and hope to get the test done in the narrow window of time between all the sensors resetting to the "ready status" and the next time the CEL comes back on.

I just talked to Chris Rose (whom originally tuned it years ago, now at American Muscle) about tweeking the tune. After all this time, he may have some new tricks to keep that CEL off for good. Someone also recently mentioned O2 risers to get the O2 sensor out of the exhaust flow.
Old 4/15/12, 09:31 PM

New Pipes

This link is extremely helpful!! I bought my 08 GT from a dealer ship bout a month ago they told me an old man came in to trade bc his license got revocted or some **** , any ways the car only had 9,000 miles on it . i plan to tune, fully bolt on and SC it with a roush SC TVS. I will hopefully have the LT JBA headers on and Off Road H pipes installed this weekend but i don't know haha. I'll have to pst a video of the sound, i also plan on installing Borla cat-backs after i get some more $$$$ all these ran outs i'm have at work in Louisiana are killing me haha. Thanks for taking the time to write all your work out man will deffinally help.