Search this Thread

Old 8/7/06, 04:13 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bad news???
Old 8/8/06, 09:42 AM
Cobra Member

Not bad news but we have hit a roadblock sort of..Fortunately we believe we can solve the problem. we installed the shifter in the first rental and took it out for a test..Ran great!..Shifted great and very quick up and downshifts!..We were pleased...Ok, so then we re-install it on another rental and uh oh....Apparently FORD has decided to make a change in the electronics which control the shift solenoids to take the vehicle in and out of park/reverse etc. It is a running change in the ford production and the two rentals had slightly different solenoid units , but the same wiring. So, the unit did not work in the other rental..So, we are trying to make contact with the company who supplies Ford with these electronics so we can order these parts,include them with the shifter and have a unit that works on all the vehicles. Doesn't seem like a monumental task, but there is a bit of a delay now ..Unforrtunately this was not something we could control , but we should be able to fix once we can get these parts. Had this not come up , I could have gotten a part # and likely a price for everyone, but we are back at the drawing board temporarily until we hear from these people....More to come...Chris
Old 8/8/06, 10:09 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

thanx dude...do you have any recent concept sketches or anything to give us a preview
Old 8/8/06, 10:23 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by subzero05
...Shifted great and very quick up and downshifts!...
thats good to hear, I was wondering about the lag, sounds like it might not be that much of a problem then (understandably, there will be lag, I assume due to the nature of the shifter not physically putting the gear in, but more or less telling the computer/trans what to do?)
Old 8/8/06, 11:31 AM
GT Member

excellent. at least it worked out on the first one.
Old 8/8/06, 11:49 AM
Mach 1 Member

Can we have a look at the thing installed in the test car by chance?
Old 8/8/06, 12:05 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

someone get on the ball and start takeing spy shots
Old 8/8/06, 12:08 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by RedDragon777
someone get on the ball and start takeing spy shots
Nope ..that one spy shot was all I can give you until we get Kris' car in here.On another subject: We are done with the Auto trans pan for the V6 and GT and ready to issue a part # and price. For those of you who may be interested in this please let me know as well...thanks
Old 8/8/06, 01:33 PM
GT Member

Hey subzero, im keeping some people updated and they had a few questions

If you install this shifter will it still be able to shift like the normal auto or will you always have to shift through the gears?

Will this shifter have any major effects on the lifetime of the transmission?
Old 8/8/06, 01:58 PM
Cobra Member

no, of course you can use it just like the standard shifter. But if you want to want to use it up and down through the gears it will be alot more fun!
Old 8/8/06, 08:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

no, of course you can use it just like the standard shifter. But if you want to want to use it up and down through the gears it will be alot more fun!
This might also raise issues about transmission damage, or rev limiting? (I assume the auto trans has a rev-limitor as well?) Is there a built in transmission limiter that will prevent the car from going into 1st gear at say.... 65 mph? Or will the rev limiter just kick in and go nuts? I'm guessing that's not much of a consern because you would have to click through all of the gears to get back down to first, so it would be a might bit hard to drop to first at freeway speeds.
Old 8/9/06, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by Error404
This might also raise issues about transmission damage, or rev limiting? (I assume the auto trans has a rev-limitor as well?) Is there a built in transmission limiter that will prevent the car from going into 1st gear at say.... 65 mph? Or will the rev limiter just kick in and go nuts? I'm guessing that's not much of a consern because you would have to click through all of the gears to get back down to first, so it would be a might bit hard to drop to first at freeway speeds.
I believe the transmission is actually shifted by the computer based on driver input and speed. If you try to shift into first at 65 mph the computer won't allow it, probably not even second. If you hold the car in low gear for too long it will hit the rev limiter on the engine, but will not shift to the next gear.

I have tested these two on accident, I accidentally shifted into second when I was trying to pass someone, but the car only shifted into third, I noticed when I shifted up again it didn't shift because I was moving into third instead of drive. When I first got the car I was seeing what it could do in a quarter mile and as I shifted to second it hit the rev limiter, and the engine cut out till it shifted. There is a little bit of a lag, so you will have to actually shift just a little before you hit red line so the car will shift before it hits the rev limiter.

IMO, If you just floor the car it pretty much shifts right were it needs too. It just doesn't downshift quick enough, and shifts up too quickly if you don't really have your foot into it.
Old 8/9/06, 04:49 PM
Cobra Member

the vehicle solenoids and electonics are speed sensitive on the tranny side and therefore will keep the vehicle from downshifting when the rev limit reaches a certain threshhold.
Old 8/9/06, 07:16 PM
Legacy TMS Member

There are set parameters in the PCM for downshifting, the auto will not go back down into 1st from second if you are going more then 35 mph, I can adjust this in the tune but even with that I can only go so high.

I have an automatic and would love to try this out, if you need a test dummy I have one and the ability to tune it for what ever you need it to do. I can also help answer most questions you may have about the tuning.

Thanks, Doug.
Old 8/9/06, 07:18 PM
FR500 Member

But...I find lot's of leeway in it. It downshifts nicely I think, if it won't do it, there's a darn good reason. When I finish the 1/4 mile, I'm off the go pedal and shift into 3rd, and it does right away, then I shift into second and it will do so when it's safe, but it slows the car considerably so I don't consider it a bad thing. And why do I do this? Keeps me from having too much brake fade and gets me to my preferred exit on the track instead of going down another quarter mile to the other racing exit.
Old 8/9/06, 10:17 PM
GT Member

having doug involved can only mean good things!
Old 8/9/06, 11:54 PM

Auto Trans Pan

Subzero,

Put me on the list for your new auto trans pan. Please post pics and pricing info.

Thank you!

Alan
Old 8/10/06, 08:56 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Doug904
There are set parameters in the PCM for downshifting, the auto will not go back down into 1st from second if you are going more then 35 mph, I can adjust this in the tune but even with that I can only go so high.

I have an automatic and would love to try this out, if you need a test dummy I have one and the ability to tune it for what ever you need it to do. I can also help answer most questions you may have about the tuning.

Thanks, Doug.
You are correct Doug.. Perhaps there is an opportunity for us to work together on this?..Maybe we can put a package together where you can provide a special tuning program to enhance the shifter characteristics even further on our unit for those "special" customers?
Old 8/10/06, 01:40 PM

What about a shift kit... has this already been asked? I know the tuners can increase the fluid for firmer shifts but I also heard that's not a good thing to do on the auto's.
Old 8/10/06, 05:21 PM
Legacy TMS Member

You are correct Doug.. Perhaps there is an opportunity for us to work together on this?..Maybe we can put a package together where you can provide a special tuning program to enhance the shifter characteristics even further on our unit for those "special" customers?

Just gimme a call or a number to reach you at.

As for the transmission shift kits these trannys are fully electronic. The days of changing springs and ***** are over. I can make a tranny shift as hard as you can request but I can't speak for reliability the harder I go.

Truly though a transmission likes to shift hard because of the less clutch slippage. For example, when your car starts to shift it will slip a clutch pack in order to keep the shift smooth, well we all know what slipping clutches do, increase heat, so the less you have to slip it then less heat you are generating. The same goes for the torque converter but thats a whole different story.

Either way count me in on this, I'd love to have something that looks nicer then my stock black shifter as well as a good transmission pan.

Thanks, Doug.

Quick Reply: guaging interest in an auto shifter