FRPP Borla Stinger droning and resonators

Search this Thread

Old 2/19/07, 08:55 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fords4Ever
This is what scares me about the GTA's:

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=60919

This guy actually thinks stock is louder than his GTA's!
At idle and low RPMs yes, but WOT there is no comparison.

Nevertheless, I'm beginning to understand it's not that GTAs are quieter than stocks; they are just deeper and smoother which gives me the perception that the rumbly stocks are louder at idle.

You can even hear in Scott's video that the GTAs seem quieter and deeper than stocks during idle.
Old 2/19/07, 09:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by tifo
At idle and low RPMs yes, but WOT there is no comparison.

Nevertheless, I'm beginning to understand it's not that GTAs are quieter than stocks; they are just deeper and smoother which gives me the perception that the rumbly stocks are louder at idle.

You can even hear in Scott's video that the GTAs seem quieter and deeper than stocks during idle.
I'm wondering if the x-pipe which smooths out the pulse is making it seem less loud. I'm personally going to stay away from the x-pipe for now I think.
Old 2/19/07, 09:07 PM
GT Member

I'm wondering if the x-pipe which smooths out the pulse is making it seem less loud. I'm personally going to stay away from the x-pipe for now I think.
No...don't do that. I'm REALLY happy with my X-pipe. It adds up to 5 HP and reduces back pressure too. On occation, I even get a little backfire too (it sounds mean when I'm revving the engine). I think the variable that's making the difference for me is that my GTAs only have 300 miles on them...

Everyone says they need to be broken in first before really knowing how loud they'll get.

~Ray
Old 2/19/07, 09:21 PM
Cobra Member

Is trumpeting the crackling noise that sounds like tin cans?
Old 2/20/07, 04:35 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Thanks Scott. I like the deep sound of the O/R pipes but I'm probably going to hold off on tunes for a while.

Is anyone running the ProChamber w/cats? Does the tone get lower/deeper even with the cats? I'm looking for louder and deeper but not too loud or my wife will never ride with me.

Kelly,
I am going try to answer several of you questions starting with the one above. Here is what I am found with my exhaust trials with the Prochamber, cats verses no cats and 3 different mufflers. First off the Mac Prochamber will deepen the tone of any muffler system you pick. And yes it will do it running the stock cats. This is because of the Prochamber's design... It acts like a woofer encloser.
Second... removing the stock cats will increase the volume of your exhaust systems and give it a slightly more aggressive sound. This is because the cats act like mufflers and calm the exhaust tone.
Third... The GTA's are definitely not quieter than the stockers. At idle the GTA's win only by a nose. Part throttle the GTA's are about 25% louder. At WOT they are clearly louder. And while criusing there is no drone. I am really waiting for TOM281's trials with resonators. He is running an offroad H-pipe and the Borla Stingers. He must be much more tolerant of abnoxious sounds then I because I only ran this combo for 2 days and thought my head would burst. I don't want to put words in his mouth but he seems dead set to put resonators on his system and I have to assume this is to tame the system a little. I wish you luck in your search and hope you find it a lot sooner than a bunch of us.
Scott
Old 2/20/07, 05:19 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Yep, I'm gonna try resonators not only because I prefer the sound of the offroad pipe over the catted pipe, but because:

1) To tone it down alittle
2) To eliminate the trumpeting
3) Because I'm this close _" to buying/installing another performance piece that will have no choice of running cats; offroad only.

Oh, and I haven't driven my car in 2 weeks because of the snow so right now, I'm alittle more tolerant to the noise LOL!

Tom
Old 2/20/07, 05:31 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by tom281
Yep, I'm gonna try resonators not only because I prefer the sound of the offroad pipe over the catted pipe, but because:

1) To tone it down alittle
2) To eliminate the trumpeting
3) Because I'm this close _" to buying/installing another performance piece that will have no choice of running cats; offroad only.

Oh, and I haven't driven my car in 2 weeks because of the snow so right now, I'm alittle more tolerant to the noise LOL!

Tom

Hey Tom,
The snow is melting!!!! I am curious... what is NUMBER 3 going to be? Longtubes or TURBO???
Scott
Old 2/20/07, 05:52 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER
Hey Tom,
The snow is melting!!!! I am curious... what is NUMBER 3 going to be? Longtubes or TURBO???
Scott

You're right, the snow is melting fast now! Well to make a long story short, it is highly unlikely that I'll be going to forced induction this year. Common sense got the better of me, so a couple weeks ago I blew most of my blower fund on a daily driver ('01 Mercury). That way, I can keep both Mustangs in the garage on bad days, and also my wife can drive the car to her school in Fort Wayne instead of our Denali that gets like 12 mpg. It sure has been nice these last couple of weeks, cruisin' around in the Merc while my '92 Vert and the '06 sit nice and clean in the garage. I did buy my chrome DD bullitts and am waiting to put those on, so I'm excited about that.

So as far as #3 goes, let's just say I'm looking at having a total Borla system from front to back (minus the resonators).....
http://borla.com/applications/lookup...THeader/17237/

I can get this whole setup for about $1088 delivered; sell my Bassani catted X for around $250, for a total of about $850 in it. Scott I'll let you know if I pull the trigger or not.
Old 2/21/07, 04:21 AM
Legacy TMS Member

You're right, the snow is melting fast now! Well to make a long story short, it is highly unlikely that I'll be going to forced induction this year. Common sense got the better of me, so a couple weeks ago I blew most of my blower fund on a daily driver ('01 Mercury). That way, I can keep both Mustangs in the garage on bad days, and also my wife can drive the car to her school in Fort Wayne instead of our Denali that gets like 12 mpg. It sure has been nice these last couple of weeks, cruisin' around in the Merc while my '92 Vert and the '06 sit nice and clean in the garage. I did buy my chrome DD bullitts and am waiting to put those on, so I'm excited about that.

So as far as #3 goes, let's just say I'm looking at having a total Borla system from front to back (minus the resonators).....
http://borla.com/applications/lookup...THeader/17237/

I can get this whole setup for about $1088 delivered; sell my Bassani catted X for around $250, for a total of about $850 in it. Scott I'll let you know if I pull the trigger or not.

Seems like you have a sound plan. Borla makes very nice headers. I'm jeaslous. Glad you got your new wheels coming. What tire did you decide on? I finally was notified by Steeda yesterday that my wheels and tires are on the way. I just need to get a little warm weather so I can get back under my car to see if I can find that buzzing sound. I am going right to the connection at the manifold like you suggested a couple of weeks ago.
Scott
Old 2/21/07, 04:43 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Sounds like a plan; hope it works for you!
Old 2/21/07, 08:34 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Seems like you have a sound plan. Borla makes very nice headers. I'm jeaslous. Glad you got your new wheels coming. What tire did you decide on? I finally was notified by Steeda yesterday that my wheels and tires are on the way. I just need to get a little warm weather so I can get back under my car to see if I can find that buzzing sound. I am going right to the connection at the manifold like you suggested a couple of weeks ago.
Scott
Hey Scott when you get your new wheels and meat mounted!....oooh that sounded kinda naughty!.....well anyway post some pictures I'm interested in seeing you mount them.....oops I mean seeing them mounted........
Old 2/21/07, 11:32 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by blkstang06
Hey Scott when you get your new wheels and meat mounted!....oooh that sounded kinda naughty!.....well anyway post some pictures I'm interested in seeing you mount them.....oops I mean seeing them mounted........
You bet Scott!!
Old 2/21/07, 11:40 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Dam, here I am stuck between two Scotts....... I guess I'm the meat in this sandwich!
Old 2/21/07, 11:56 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Dam, here I am stick between two Scotts....... I guess I'm the meat in this sandwich!

Expect to see pics of your new wheels and meats also Smart Arze!
Old 2/21/07, 05:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

Kelly,
I am going try to answer several of you questions starting with the one above. Here is what I am found with my exhaust trials with the Prochamber, cats verses no cats and 3 different mufflers. First off the Mac Prochamber will deepen the tone of any muffler system you pick. And yes it will do it running the stock cats. This is because of the Prochamber's design... It acts like a woofer encloser.
Second... removing the stock cats will increase the volume of your exhaust systems and give it a slightly more aggressive sound. This is because the cats act like mufflers and calm the exhaust tone.
Third... The GTA's are definitely not quieter than the stockers. At idle the GTA's win only by a nose. Part throttle the GTA's are about 25% louder. At WOT they are clearly louder. And while criusing there is no drone. I am really waiting for TOM281's trials with resonators. He is running an offroad H-pipe and the Borla Stingers. He must be much more tolerant of abnoxious sounds then I because I only ran this combo for 2 days and thought my head would burst. I don't want to put words in his mouth but he seems dead set to put resonators on his system and I have to assume this is to tame the system a little. I wish you luck in your search and hope you find it a lot sooner than a bunch of us.
Scott
Thanks for the great replies, this site is great!

I don't have the budget to do a lot (any really) trial and error on the exhaust so I want to learn as much as possible from all of you before pulling the trigger. Of course exhaust sound is such a subjective topic it makes it harder to decide.

Sounds like a ProChamber would do the trick if the GTA's aren't loud/deep enough. I'm really curious about the new Pypes mid-muffler system but I don't know if it would be too loud. Kinda hard to tell till you hear it in person and while in the car! Sound clips only do so much. I could live with loud as long as it's not crazy loud and it drones!

Thanks again!
Old 2/21/07, 05:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by tifo
No...don't do that. I'm REALLY happy with my X-pipe. It adds up to 5 HP and reduces back pressure too. On occation, I even get a little backfire too (it sounds mean when I'm revving the engine). I think the variable that's making the difference for me is that my GTAs only have 300 miles on them...

Everyone says they need to be broken in first before really knowing how loud they'll get.

~Ray
Thanks for the info, I'm probably staying away from the x-pip (for now anyway) mostly because I don't want to cut the stock H for just 5HP. You can't really go back from that one and the motor boat sound doesn't bother my so I'm keeping the stock H for now.
Old 3/6/07, 05:22 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Just an update: I'm going to the exhaust shop tomorrow if time permits and make an appointment to get resonators installed; I'll keep you posted.
Old 3/6/07, 05:42 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Just an update: I'm going to the exhaust shop tomorrow if time permits and make an appointment to get resonators installed; I'll keep you posted.
I am sure dozens of guys with your set up would just love to know what your results will be. I know you will keep everyone up to date. I hope it works for you and others.
Scott
Old 3/6/07, 06:18 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tom what type of resonators?
Old 3/6/07, 06:44 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by blkstang06
Tom what type of resonators?
Well when I was there last, they had Dynomax, Magnaflow, and some other off-brands. They are all 12", roughly 3 or 4" diameter, and should do the trick. I'm basically gonna do.......... whichever are cheapest LOL!

Quick Reply: FRPP Borla Stinger droning and resonators