GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

FRPP Borla Stinger droning and resonators

Search this Thread

Old 10/20/06, 12:12 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The drone bothered me at first but I got used to it. You have to be careful with the trumpet sound effect if you go off road x...
Old 10/20/06, 12:35 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Boltzman
\You have to be careful with the trumpet sound effect if you go off road x...
And an O/R H too.
Old 10/20/06, 03:32 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBill
And an O/R H too.
Bill, why did you go with the H vs the X? Was it the trumpeting? I'm seriously looking at the O/R X....
Old 10/20/06, 03:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up Corsa Performance Exhaust - Zero Drone

From what everyone that has one ! Check them out.
Corsa Performance

Old 10/20/06, 04:10 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Wow, I can't believe some of the responses on here. Geez what one guy likes vs. the next has nothing to do with age.

Darth, I have FRPP/Stingers with everything else stock but in my case it is not bad (to me) however I wouldn't want to do anything that would make the drone louder. I have been searching high and low for an X or an H without increasing the drone and so far the one that seems to handle it the best (again in my case) is the FRPP X-pipe (same one used on the GT-H/Shelby GT). Plenty of forums posts on it including Boomer's.

I have gone back and forth between that, Magnaflow X with high flow cats and the O/R H from Pypes that Bill has (drool stream everytime after watching his vid). My friend has the Magnaflow but on his the Drone is louder. Bill told me also that if I don't want my drone louder then it is now, don't go with the O/R H, it's loud.
Old 10/20/06, 04:29 PM
GT Member

I've got the same setup as TacoBell, er... TacoBill ( ) and like others have said, some people like the drone, others don't. No use having a tiffy about it, it's just opinions. That's what makes this place great, otherwise, we'd all be riding around in the same looking and sounding car.

I had the resonators installed on mine and couldnt be happier. It got rid of all of the trumpets along with almost all of the drone. It did quite it down a little, which was fine with me because it was bordering on too loud to begin with.
Old 10/20/06, 06:27 PM
FR500 Member

No kidding, sound is very subjective and nobody is right or wrong.

But mine sound the baddest! Longtubes, catted-H, Stingers = WOW!!

Drone and Trumpets at no extra cost
Old 10/20/06, 06:48 PM
Team Mustang Source

Totally agree, I don't really care if people want to over what I think is too loud, I was just hoping to get some feedback on which setup produces the least drone. For a while I thought maybe I had a bad set, because ots of people said the drone didn't bother them. Well, I'm beginning to see that some people WANT the drone, so they may have the exact same issue, but are totally happy with it. I rode top down today and I could definitely still hear it. Makes me wonder if the whole muffler is just vibrating.

I think I'll gamble on an O/R Xpipe and see how that goes. The increased flow ought to break up the frequency at the axle-backs and change the dynamic, while adding volume. I'm thinking the loss of the cats will be balanced by the resonators as far as sound goes. My primary purpose was after-all to let those thinking about the resonators know what to expect (see first post). For those who followed TacoBills instructions (thanks Bill) did you also find it necessary to remove the battery tray? If so, do you have to disconnect it too?

-Darth
Old 10/20/06, 07:00 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by SixtySix

Bring on the sound clips please! I'd love to hear that setup. Did the longtubes add a lot of volume or just depth? I don't really want mine to be any louder (well some, maybe), but I sure could go for more depth. Plus the horse power increase would be nice. Speaking of, did you notice a seat of the pants difference after you first drove with them on? I figured so, but I just can't seem to pull the trigger on them yet, I love the sound I have now and am scared to change it.
Old 10/20/06, 07:07 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Darth Stang
Totally agree, I don't really care if people want to over what I think is too loud, I was just hoping to get some feedback on which setup produces the least drone. For a while I thought maybe I had a bad set, because ots of people said the drone didn't bother them. Well, I'm beginning to see that some people WANT the drone, so they may have the exact same issue, but are totally happy with it. I rode top down today and I could definitely still hear it. Makes me wonder if the whole muffler is just vibrating.

I think I'll gamble on an O/R Xpipe and see how that goes. The increased flow ought to break up the frequency at the axle-backs and change the dynamic, while adding volume. I'm thinking the loss of the cats will be balanced by the resonators as far as sound goes. My primary purpose was after-all to let those thinking about the resonators know what to expect (see first post). For those who followed TacoBills instructions (thanks Bill) did you also find it necessary to remove the battery tray? If so, do you have to disconnect it too?

-Darth
I printed out his instructions and followed them to a T and it couldn't have went smoother. Me and a friend were installing them and found no other way (unless your Stretch Armstrong) to get to one of the plugs to the O2 sensors so I did what he did and took the battery tray out.

I disconnected the battery and pulled the tray out and its right there, do it, it'll save some time and scrapes (again, unless you're skinny as a rail and have long *** arms).

His write-up was spot on, if you follow it, it's a piece of a cake. Be sure and re-align your muffler tips though, mine went a little out of wack after putting on the H-pipe.

Also, I've got the resonators installed on mine (I know, not an X) and loved how it made it sound. Please post some clips afterwards, I've never heard an X with the Stingers and am very curious as to how they sound.
Old 10/20/06, 09:59 PM
Cobra R Member

I love the rumble of the FRPP's, up until you hit that 1800 RPM mark, then the drone hits you like something out of a SI-FI movie, "Make the sound stop". Once past the 2000RPM mark they sound great, untill the next gear shift. I grew up on the old 60's muscle cars, where you could count each cylinder hit wit the lop of the engine. Loud is bad, which is a good thing, but Drone is bad, which is not a good thing. I have a vert, which may be worse, but I want to hear rumble not something like a space ship taking off or my cell phone on vib at 150 decibels.
Old 10/20/06, 10:59 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Bill, why did you go with the H vs the X? Was it the trumpeting? I'm seriously looking at the O/R X....
From all the sound clips I've heard between the X and H and from owner's feedbacks, the X will produce a higher pitch, raspy sound. The H is more a lower tone (as you already heard in my clips).

It's just personal preference as to which tone you're looking for.

Originally Posted by GPStang06
Bill told me also that if I don't want my drone louder then it is now, don't go with the O/R H, it's loud.
The O/R H won't produce any new drone, but will amplify what you already have. So if the drone is at your limits now with the stock H, switching to an O/R mid-pipe is a bad idea.
The O/R H will also introduce some trumpeting because of eliminating the cats. Happens around 2500 RPM's, but only lasts for a second. It bugs the heck out of some, but not a big deal to me.

Originally Posted by ScottM
I've got the same setup as TacoBell, er... TacoBill ( )
A little something for you Scott... (j/k!)

For those who followed TacoBills instructions (thanks Bill) did you also find it necessary to remove the battery tray? If so, do you have to disconnect it too?
Some have not. On the Auto's, it seems to be possible to reach the forward (passenger side) O2 connector from the bottom. When I helped Leo_06GT install his O/R H, we pulled his battery anyway, but may have not been necessary.
And yes, if you do yank the tray, you have to completely disconnect the battery and remove it from the car.

Here's a pic of where the rear O2 sensors plug in underneath the Auto tranny. (Thanks Leo for use of your PhotoBucket!)

His write-up was spot on, if you follow it, it's a piece of a cake. Be sure and re-align your muffler tips though, mine went a little out of wack after putting on the H-pipe.
Thanks Scott! Appreciate the kind words.
Old 10/20/06, 11:06 PM
FR500 Member

Bring on the sound clips please! I'd love to hear that setup. Did the longtubes add a lot of volume or just depth? I don't really want mine to be any louder (well some, maybe), but I sure could go for more depth. Plus the horse power increase would be nice. Speaking of, did you notice a seat of the pants difference after you first drove with them on? I figured so, but I just can't seem to pull the trigger on them yet, I love the sound I have now and am scared to change it.
Soundclip (video) is toward the end of the exhaust thread...but since you asked nicely

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showpo...&postcount=308

It adds both volume and depth. Do you feel it...oh yeah! No Dyno, but I shaved 3 tenths off my quarter mile times.
Old 10/21/06, 10:17 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

clips........................now.................. .............please

oops didn't read the whole thread
Old 10/21/06, 02:49 PM
GT Member

Soundclip (video) is toward the end of the exhaust thread...but since you asked nicely

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showpo...&postcount=308

It adds both volume and depth. Do you feel it...oh yeah! No Dyno, but I shaved 3 tenths off my quarter mile times.
Thanks a ton! Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure I've seen that clip before and loved it, I just didnt remember if LT's were included.

Thanks again, that made up my mind to go with them. I'm thinking the sound might be a little different since I don't have the cats and have resonators welded in, but I'm sure it'll be nice!

Originally Posted by TacoBill
Thanks Scott! Appreciate the kind words.
Anytime!
Old 10/21/06, 04:01 PM
Team Mustang Source

Cool

Originally Posted by TRMN8TR
"Whimpersnappers"? Misspelled right? I think you meant whippersnapper, better get back to school.
Wow you're almost 35 huh? Got ya beat bud and let's not try to over-****-ize this whole sound thing.
You bought/leased a "performance" car, now you're modding it and complaing of the residual sound that is music to a car enthusiast ears. I suggest you buy a Prius (spelling) or whatever that thing is, that way you get that nice "quiet" no drone tone you're searching for.
For you guys looking for a REALLY nice hotrod exhaust note that makes you go into the garage just to start your car so you can hear the rumble, go with the Borla Stingers.

And if you are really wanting something "old school", go find a real hot rod and stay away from ANY multi-cammed, Hi-tech, small displacement V-8 thats just trying to sound like a bigger engine. My little ol' 351W ain't no race engine, but with LT's, Dr. Gas X-pipe, chambered Spin-tech's that exit in front of the rear tires, it will always sound better than my '07!!
Old 10/21/06, 04:47 PM
Cobra Member

ehh..Exhaust and sounding good are all a personal preference. Everyone has their own opinion on what sounds good, thats why I really get a kick out of people wanting to know how a particular exhaust sounds.
You should get what you want and what you like, not just what someone else thinks is cool or sounds good.
Old 10/22/06, 11:40 AM
Cobra R Member

Well I too thought there was too much drone with the frpp/borlas, and the bassanis with comp cats and xpipe. I finally tried the supreme axle backs from ninosport which are exact same part as the ford for there gth. No drone at all. A hair louder than stock. But most are adding the xpipe and it gets a little louder again but again with no drone. The tips look way better than the bassani or the borlas in my opinion. Eventually I may add the xpipe and possibly some longtube headers or shortys to get even a little more. I really dig the no drone factor. Just thought I would post my comments since I am on the 4th pair of axlebacks. stock, bassani, borla, and now supreme, dont think I will be changing again. Good luck to all.
Old 11/9/06, 07:44 PM
Cobra R Member

An update, have had the FRPP's for about a month now, guessing 500-600 miles on them, and the drone is fading. It has gotten to the point where it does not bother me, I hear it but not as bad as it was at first ( either that or I am getting used to them). also in that time I got the K&N with a tune, that helped too by changing the shift points keeping out of that 1800 rpm range for normal driving.
Old 11/9/06, 07:56 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Originally Posted by Dougxox
An update, have had the FRPP's for about a month now, guessing 500-600 miles on them, and the drone is fading. It has gotten to the point where it does not bother me, I hear it but not as bad as it was at first ( either that or I am getting used to them). also in that time I got the K&N with a tune, that helped too by changing the shift points keeping out of that 1800 rpm range for normal driving.
I thought it was just me but I noticed the drone fading too.

Quick Reply: FRPP Borla Stinger droning and resonators