GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

FRPP Borla Stinger droning and resonators

Search this Thread

Old 6/23/07, 09:08 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fords4Ever
I was just surprised to see that there was a post before mine and then I realized how close our post times were. I posted and then was running out the door so I didn't see yours.

I have an '06 so I am assuming I have 3:55s.

Thanks for the info, I think it has convinced me to go with the Stingers. I was looking at the GTA's but I know I would be disappointed with "slightly louder than stock" and the Pypes mid-muffler seems more mechanical or raspy-loud as compared to Stingers. I think I would more afraid of the Stingers if I had an Automatic.
Kelly do the Stingers, I vacillated for a long while on Stingers or GTA's and finally Bill, Taco Bill helped to convince me to let loose and enjoy the GT and the purr it provides us with the Stingers. Best move I ever did to listen to Bill and do the Stingers. Absolutely no regrets.

Oh word of caution be careful with TacoBill buying advice, its basically buy everything you like lol

You will be very happy installing the Stingers. Do the FRPP Stingers, that way you get the Ford Racing embossed in the tails and nice embossing on the exhaust round cans.
Old 6/23/07, 09:14 PM
Team Mustang Source

Have had the Stingers for 15 months - love em, drone and all!!!
Old 6/23/07, 09:20 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Ranger
Have had the Stingers for 15 months - love em, drone and all!!!
I really don’t notice any drone any more. Drone in my mind is over hype. I'm usually running thru the gears so often there is no time at any sustained RPM range.

But I'm dead serious, I don't notice any drone and the best gauge for me is the Mrs. and she would tell me if she notices or heard drone and she never says anything about drone. Case closed
Old 6/23/07, 09:57 PM
V6 Member

Just installed a ford racing x pipe to go with my borlas. the signature borla sound is retained just a bit quieter now, but it also smoothed out the burbling and I haven't noticed any drone since either! in one word, the x pipe made my car sound more "quality". oh I had it welded in, just fyi.
Old 6/23/07, 11:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

I was just surprised to see that there was a post before mine and then I realized how close our post times were. I posted and then was running out the door so I didn't see yours.

I have an '06 so I am assuming I have 3:55s.

Thanks for the info, I think it has convinced me to go with the Stingers. I was looking at the GTA's but I know I would be disappointed with "slightly louder than stock" and the Pypes mid-muffler seems more mechanical or raspy-loud as compared to Stingers. I think I would more afraid of the Stingers if I had an Automatic.
Yes I noticed our posts were very close together. I agree on the Auto, but I think you'll be glad you got the Stingers, with the logo and all.

Originally Posted by Kingpin2B
Just installed a ford racing x pipe to go with my borlas. the signature borla sound is retained just a bit quieter now, but it also smoothed out the burbling and I haven't noticed any drone since either! in one word, the x pipe made my car sound more "quality". oh I had it welded in, just fyi.
Really, that's good to know...maybe I'll do that too.

FYI Fords4Ever, the FRPP Stingers are made by Borla, so when Kingpin2B (cool profile name BTW) says he has Borlas, he's actually talking about the same axlebacks, except the Borlas actually retail for a little more and say Borla, not "Ford Racing" on them. When you install them, you need to play around with the passenger side a little so they both line up symmetrically. Feel free to PM when you get them and I can give you some pointers while you're installing them (learned the hard way by yours truly).
Old 6/24/07, 02:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by philster2003
Kelly do the Stingers, I vacillated for a long while on Stingers or GTA's and finally Bill, Taco Bill helped to convince me to let loose and enjoy the GT and the purr it provides us with the Stingers. Best move I ever did to listen to Bill and do the Stingers. Absolutely no regrets.

Oh word of caution be careful with TacoBill buying advice, its basically buy everything you like lol

You will be very happy installing the Stingers. Do the FRPP Stingers, that way you get the Ford Racing embossed in the tails and nice embossing on the exhaust round cans.
I know what you mean, I thought I was convinced on the GTA's but I have to say that one of the reasons I've held off is a video by SHATTER comparing the GTA's to stock and there just doesn't seem to be enough of a difference. And of course TacoBill's comparison video is awesome!

Originally Posted by MrClean
FYI Fords4Ever, the FRPP Stingers are made by Borla, so when Kingpin2B (cool profile name BTW) says he has Borlas, he's actually talking about the same axlebacks, except the Borlas actually retail for a little more and say Borla, not "Ford Racing" on them. When you install them, you need to play around with the passenger side a little so they both line up symmetrically. Feel free to PM when you get them and I can give you some pointers while you're installing them (learned the hard way by yours truly).
Thanks for the advice guys and I may just take you up on that offer when I get 'em!
Old 7/9/07, 11:02 AM
Mach 1 Member

So here's an update:

I installed the FRPP Stingers on July 1st so I've had 'em on for a week including a 800 mile roundtrip from Chicago to Minnesota and back.

First off I have to say the sound is exactly what I was looking for! It is what they advertise: "louder and throatier than stock" but it's not what I would call obnoxiously loud. If the GTAs are quieter than these, I really made the right decision.

Now for the "but"...but the drone is really annoying. The sound is sooo good however I cannot imagine swapping these out to get rid of the drone. On the highway when traffic slowed to under 65 and I was in 5th I would have to downshift to 4th. This isn't the end of the world, but it's too bad we have to shift around it.

I will also tell you that because of install issues I was forced to add a second clamp to each side and this did not really have any effect on reducing drone as someone had mentioned on another thread. I also added insulation under the trunk mat and that may have quieted it a bit but again not much at all.

So my question is this: Is there any generally agreed upon solution for the drone on Stingers? Are resonators the answer? I have no intention of going O/R so I'm looking for a resolution with the stock mid-pipe.

Now for the good news: The drone didn't bother my wife at all
She said "you know the stock exhaust would drone sometimes too."
Old 7/9/07, 11:27 AM
Cobra Member

Kelly;

Good info and sorry the drone is a pain at times. I've been good at tuning it out if it happens. They just sound so good to me that the sound makes up for any level of suspected drone. I listen to the exhaust more then the radio

I used some dynamat in the wheel well and the transmission well and I also used some fiberglass insulation in the truck and that has been good for me and any drone.

You have to admit Kelly there is nothing like running up thru the gears with the Stingers
Old 7/9/07, 11:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

Kelly;

Good info and sorry the drone is a pain at times. I've been good at tuning it out if it happens. They just sound so good to me that the sound makes up for any level of suspected drone. I listen to the exhaust more then the radio

I used some dynamat in the wheel well and the transmission well and I also used some fiberglass insulation in the truck and that has been good for me and any drone.

You have to admit Kelly there is nothing like running up thru the gears with the Stingers
You are exactly right, the drone is a small price to pay for that awesome SOUND.

I saw thread somewhere about a drone fix but I think it was for the SN95's because it talked about adding a piece of pipe along side the tailpipe.

It just seems like there should be some scientific way to solve this.
Old 7/9/07, 12:52 PM
Cobra Member

You are exactly right, the drone is a small price to pay for that awesome SOUND.

I saw thread somewhere about a drone fix but I think it was for the SN95's because it talked about adding a piece of pipe along side the tailpipe.

It just seems like there should be some scientific way to solve this.
Outside of using a mid pipe resonator I haven't found any easy fix. But the resonator robs us of our wonderful stinger tone though.
Old 7/9/07, 02:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Most SN 95 kits did not drone at all (unless they were "straight-thru"). The length of the actual tailpipe allowed for more tuning from the manufacturer and a much better tone IMO. I had Bassanis on my old Cobra and really loved the sound. The closest I've heard on our S197 is with long tubes and I'm just not willing to dump that kind of money into the car for 20 HP and better sounding exhaust.
Old 7/9/07, 02:48 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Bassani high flow cat x and cat-back were frigging incredible on SN-95's.
Old 7/9/07, 03:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Just Curious

What would happen if you had an X and an H?

In other words:

Stock manifiold >>> Stock Cats>>> X-pipe>>> H-pipe>>>over-axle>>>Stingers
Old 7/9/07, 03:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

What would happen if you had an X and an H?

In other words:

Stock manifiold >>> Stock Cats>>> X-pipe>>> H-pipe>>>over-axle>>>Stingers

Please tell me this is a joke
Old 7/9/07, 03:32 PM
Cobra Member

Be nice Frank.....................
Old 7/9/07, 03:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by wsmatau
Please tell me this is a joke
No seriously, I remember reading someone did this but I cannot find it nor remember the results. The thing is I have read that you can move the drone by adding or subtracting length and or adding a balance tube (x or h) so I am curious what would happen if you had both.

As I type this however I am convincing myself that it may have been a double x pipe instead of an x and an h.
Old 7/9/07, 04:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

Be nice Frank.....................
If you insist.

OK Newby listen up. The whole point in having an X or H pipe is to allow gasses to flow evenly out of the exhaust. Otherwise you have one straight shot from either the left bank or the right straight to the tailpipe. The problem is that all your cylinders do not fire evenly and in consecutive order to push out the exhaust gasses.
So "back in the day" they started with the "H" pipe as a means of allowing pressure to regulate itself on the way out of the exhaust system. Eventually technology revisited the exhaust and the X pipe was born. The X pipe does the same thing, but more efficiently (i.e. the gasses flow better and arent forced to make as abrupt a change in direction). However the X pipe does change the tone of an exhaust system which some people don't like. The sound is largely a matter of taste because the exhaust system for a street vehicle (under 500HP) is largely unaffected by which model crossover you choose.
Having two crossover points is unnecessary and would likely cause backpressure problems. It is not a good idea.

Class dismissed.
Old 7/9/07, 05:00 PM

drone rules!
Old 7/9/07, 05:15 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by wsmatau
If you insist.

OK Newby listen up. The whole point in having an X or H pipe is to allow gasses to flow evenly out of the exhaust. Otherwise you have one straight shot from either the left bank or the right straight to the tailpipe. The problem is that all your cylinders do not fire evenly and in consecutive order to push out the exhaust gasses.
So "back in the day" they started with the "H" pipe as a means of allowing pressure to regulate itself on the way out of the exhaust system. Eventually technology revisited the exhaust and the X pipe was born. The X pipe does the same thing, but more efficiently (i.e. the gasses flow better and arent forced to make as abrupt a change in direction). However the X pipe does change the tone of an exhaust system which some people don't like. The sound is largely a matter of taste because the exhaust system for a street vehicle (under 500HP) is largely unaffected by which model crossover you choose.
Having two crossover points is unnecessary and would likely cause backpressure problems. It is not a good idea.

Class dismissed.
Nicely said Frank!
Old 7/9/07, 06:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'm sure there are some engineers out there that can explain it better than I and I'lll probably be cited for not describing it accurately, so let's just call that "Exhaust for Dummies"
I'm aware that there are more considerations than just flow. Including scavenging, resonance, and other factors. Let's just keep this simple.

Quick Reply: FRPP Borla Stinger droning and resonators