GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

FRPP Borla Stinger droning and resonators

Search this Thread

Old 7/9/07, 06:57 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have my drone under control... dynamatted the trunk and the back seat, that took care of most of it. And what that did not take care of, the 10" sub did

I love them - drone and all! Going on two years with them, no regrets!
Old 7/9/07, 08:08 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wsmatau
I'm sure there are some engineers out there that can explain it better than I and I'lll probably be cited for not describing it accurately, so let's just call that "Exhaust for Dummies"
I'm aware that there are more considerations than just flow. Including scavenging, resonance, and other factors. Let's just keep this simple.
I'm an engineer Frank and you can always take a discussion to all new levels of technical if you want to. If the KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) principle is used then all is well. Ya did just fine
Old 7/9/07, 09:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
If you insist.

OK Newby listen up.
What makes me a "Newby"? Because I asked a question?

I'm sure there are some engineers out there that can explain it better than I and I'lll probably be cited for not describing it accurately, so let's just call that "Exhaust for Dummies"
I'm aware that there are more considerations than just flow. Including scavenging, resonance, and other factors. Let's just keep this simple.
My point is that keeping it simple means do nothing, put up with the drone or pretend like some others that "Drone is great" which is ridiculous We shouldn't keep it simple, we (or some engineer) should apply science to this problem and solve it. Resonance is not an issue of flow but rather an issue of frequency.

I drove around today with the windows down in 90+ degree heat just so I could hear the Stingers. Trust me this drone issue has nothing to do with loudness because the louder the better, it's that ear splitting sound in the drone zone that actually interferes with the great sound of the Stingers that I have a problem with.

As I see it class has just begun
Old 7/9/07, 09:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Fords4Ever

My point is that keeping it simple means do nothing, put up with the drone or pretend like some others that "Drone is great" which is ridiculous We shouldn't keep it simple, we (or some engineer) should apply science to this problem and solve it. Resonance is not an issue of flow but rather an issue of frequency.

I drove around today with the windows down in 90+ degree heat just so I could hear the Stingers. Trust me this drone issue has nothing to do with loudness because the louder the better, it's that ear splitting sound in the drone zone that actually interferes with the great sound of the Stingers that I have a problem with.

Soooo, I take it you don't like the drone too much. yes, its a matter of frequency. Magnaflow makes some resonators that can be mounted just aft of the H-Pipe that'll take care of the matter...in fact its a mod to the mod that I'll probably do at some point. You would cut a piece of the mid-pipe out equal to the length of the resonators, and weld the resonators to the midpipes, and then insert the other end in the widened H-pipe.

The other solution, 9I'm not facetious, this was reported by someone on ModularFords, only I got banned from there so I can't go retreive the post/thread), is to supercharge the engine (with a PD Roots or Twin Screw blower). The harmonics of the stock intake manifold are eliminated and the drone went away. This wouldn't necessarily work with Turbo's or a Vortech-type Sc because they still utilize the stock intake manifold.
Old 7/9/07, 10:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

OK....Phil he ASKED for it!

Nope, I chose to call you Newby instead of Moron because the moderators on this board prefer not to call a spade a spade. There are no stupid questions....Unfortunately, there are stupid people asking questions.

My point is that keeping it simple means do nothing, put up with the drone or pretend like some others that "Drone is great" which is ridiculous
I'll agree with that. But I can't take the blame for all the ridiculous comments posted in this forum.

We shouldn't keep it simple, we (or some engineer) should apply science to this problem and solve it. Resonance is not an issue of flow but rather an issue of frequency.
My comments on the simplicity of my explanation were to prevent them from being taken out of context later. But since you insist on reinforcing your own lack of understanding....Where do you think the resonance comes from?
Whatever. I tried to be nice to you and explain how things work, even after you asked a ridiculous question. I'm not here to fix your problem. I tried to help your understanding of how an exhaust system works. You haven't provided anything but argument that has nothing to do with the problem. I won't bother anymore.
Old 7/9/07, 10:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the Stingers and I don't want to come off like I'm whining about the drone. I was just trying to say that there should be a way to cure the drone.

I guess I could be wrong but I just don't think anyone could actually like the drone. I feel it's just something people will put up with because the rest of the time the exhaust sounds so good!
Old 7/9/07, 10:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Wow Frank you really think highly of yourself don't you? I don't see how asking what would happen if there were both an H and an X pipe is ridiculous. The H or X are both balance tubes and can change the frequency so I still am curious what would happen.

There are Corvette owners (and other makes too) out there with two x-pipes to help with drone so I asked the question. Gee I thought that's what this site was for and for the most part people have been very helpful.

You say I haven't provided anything but argument when in fact I am asking questions, trying to suggest alternative ways to solve the problem, it's you that have not added anything except for your basic explanation of how an exhaust system works, which I didnt ask for, I am looking for what is obvoiusly a more complex answer otherwise there wouldn't be so many people that have traded Stingers for GTA's.

For what it is worth Frank I appreciate what you intended to do but you lost me when you made it a personal attack.
Old 7/9/07, 10:35 PM
Cobra Member

This is the last thing I'll say about drone. For me I don't hear it anymore. I did a few things to help quiet it and I'm sure someone else might hear it but I just don't hear it any longer.

Heck I was driving my daughters 4Runner tonight and I put a Dynomax turbo exhaust on it and it has as much drone as these Stingers I have. Right at the 2K mark.

I guess I choose to not think about it or notice it any longer. The Stingers exhaust note is perfect, period for me.

Good luck with the Quest for the Holy Grail or is the Holy Drail or Drone. Who knows if it can ever be solved………………..Remember there is a point of diminishing returns which means at some point one must move on
Old 7/10/07, 09:58 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by philster2003
This is the last thing I'll say about drone. For me I don't hear it anymore. I did a few things to help quiet it and I'm sure someone else might hear it but I just don't hear it any longer.
Phil, you are not the only one to have said that so it actually makes me wonder if these Stingers season a little and causes the resonance to fade? Not disappear but maybe tone down a little over time.

I guess I choose to not think about it or notice it any longer. The Stingers exhaust note is perfect, period for me.
I know I'll get to that point, heck I'm almost there now 'cause like you said that exhaust note is perfect! On my recent trip to MN there was a stretch of road with those tall cement barriers all along the side...that was automotive nirvana.
Old 7/10/07, 10:10 AM
Cobra Member

Phil, you are not the only one to have said that so it actually makes me wonder if these Stingers season a little and causes the resonance to fade? Not disappear but maybe tone down a little over time.

I know I'll get to that point, heck I'm almost there now 'cause like you said that exhaust note is perfect! On my recent trip to MN there was a stretch of road with those tall cement barriers all along the side...that was automotive nirvana.
Kelly its all cool, just give it some time. I think if you want to do anything sound wise get some dynamat or an equivalent knockoff and line the trunk and spare tire wheel well with it, maybe a little under the rear seat.

I don't use the trunk so I just went out and got some 3 1/2 in fiberglass insulation and laid it in the spare tire wheel well and under the trunk carpet. It works for me although the trunk doesn't look as deep lol

I also used some dynamat in the transmission well under the car when I installed my MGW short shifter, that might, I say might have helped.

Just give it time and you might just not realize there is anything but good sounds coming out of the exhaust.

Take care
Old 7/10/07, 10:26 AM
Mach 1 Member

Kelly its all cool, just give it some time. I think if you want to do anything sound wise get some dynamat or an equivalent knockoff and line the trunk and spare tire wheel well with it, maybe a little under the rear seat.

I don't use the trunk so I just went out and got some 3 1/2 in fiberglass insulation and laid it in the spare tire wheel well and under the trunk carpet. It works for me although the trunk doesn't look as deep lol

I also used some dynamat in the transmission well under the car when I installed my MGW short shifter, that might, I say might have helped.

Just give it time and you might just not realize there is anything but good sounds coming out of the exhaust.

Take care
Thanks...I'm glad you added the bit about the spare tire wheel well. I laid the same fiberglass across the entire trunk and was debating whether to do the spare well too. I think I'll try it. Like I said I recently went on a trip and once you put anything in the trunk it compresses so it's not much of a loss but I hear ya, it does look like you lost, well about 3-1/2 inches of trunk space - lol.

Thanks again.
Old 7/10/07, 10:38 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by MrClean
The other solution, 9I'm not facetious, this was reported by someone on ModularFords, only I got banned from there so I can't go retreive the post/thread), is to supercharge the engine (with a PD Roots or Twin Screw blower). The harmonics of the stock intake manifold are eliminated and the drone went away.
So if I add a Whipple it'll make the drone disappear...I don't think the wife is going to buy one - lol.

This sounds like a TacoBill suggestion...just keep adding really cool parts to your car.

Seriously though I believe it because people are saying that the drone comes or goes after installing CAI etc. It's probably hard for the mfg (like Borla) to design out the drone when so many other variables can change the frequency. I realize Corsa has done so but at the expense of volume at idle and cruise I think. I know they advertise something like: "loud when you want it but quiet when you need it to be..." but I bet they couldn't make it louder all the time and still eliminate the drone.
Old 7/15/07, 01:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There are Corvette owners (and other makes too) out there with two x-pipes to help with drone so I asked the question.
You actually bring an interesting concept to the board--ignore the negative "Wheee, I can copy the Wikipedia x-pipe vs. h-pipe explanations" comments.

In additional to Corvettes, there are some 4.6's that have used this concept to do precisely what you mentioned--cut down on drone. http://www.lincolnmotorsport.com/images/mufflerad.jpg

I run stingers and don't have a problem with the drone (I rarely let it drop below 2,500rpms), but it would be interesting to see how this would sound on our exhaust.
Attached Thumbnails FRPP Borla Stinger droning and resonators-dual-x-pipe.jpg  
Old 7/24/07, 07:33 PM
Cobra Member

LOL Too weird...I can only imagine someone asking me "Sounds good, Are you running an H or an X." To which I could reply, "Both." haha or even "Dual X pipes"
Old 7/24/07, 08:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

My guess is that the extra crossover is enough to change the frequency so the drone moves or disappears, but who knows? The reason I suggested an x-h combo is that I don't want to smooth out the tone at all.

Also, here is an update:

I don't know if the drone has subsided or I am just getting used to it but it's much, much better than that first week. It's still annoying in 5th at around 55-60 MPH but it used to be really bad in every gear from 1500-1900 RPM.

But...these Stingers are just the best sounding exhaust IMO! My wife took the car out the other day while I was working in the garage and it sounded AWESOME!

I let my 17 yr old son take it out too and he had to go down the street and come back by the house and I could tell he slowed down coming past the house because I heard the decel burble...that's a sweet sound
Old 7/24/07, 08:46 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Anyone who is tired of the Stingers and wants to trade for some Flowmasters send me a pm.
Old 7/26/07, 02:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
Anyone who is tired of the Stingers and wants to trade for some Flowmasters send me a pm.
A man of humor!
Old 7/27/07, 05:07 PM
Team Mustang Source

Ha, still going!!!
I switched to GTA's...just couldn't take it anymore. I hope to get a set of used Corsas in the future, but these are great for now, and I'm looking at a turbo in 2010!

-Darth
Old 7/27/07, 08:46 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Borlas with resonators here, since April....... love them the same now as the day I had the rezzies installed!
Old 7/28/07, 04:19 PM
V6 Member

Borlas "S"-type here.. with that deep rumble and pops at idle, drone at cruise, burble at decel, and just as much raging sound breaking out from hell at WOT. Still wondering why that drone thing is getting flamed, gotta be your Muscle Car footprint, not another 4-banger fartcan come on!

Quick Reply: FRPP Borla Stinger droning and resonators