GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

FRPP Borla Stinger droning and resonators

Search this Thread

Old 2/17/07, 10:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER
The resonator idea might be a good idea. Have you heard that new prototype exhaust from Pypes that only has resonators in the pipes and no mufflers yet?? There are some sound clips of it and it sounds pretty good but have no idea about how bad the drone is. I can't seem to find the thread the Pypes system is in right now. Can someone else find it?
Scott
I can't wait for someone to get this new system. What are the chances that moving the mufflers to the middle totally eliminates DRONE? The best sound I have heard is MAC because it's deep but the drone has me thinking GTA's.
Old 2/17/07, 11:00 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The resonator idea might be a good idea. Have you heard that new prototype exhaust from Pypes that only has resonators in the pipes and no mufflers yet?? There are some sound clips of it and it sounds pretty good but have no idea about how bad the drone is. I can't seem to find the thread the Pypes system is in right now. ...
For me at least, changing to an O/R H-pipe has removed more drone than any thing else I have tried. I think the drone comes more from the cats than the mufflers. At lower tones, the drone comes through more. The stingers have very low tones.

I have not tried every combination, so I could be way off.

+3 On being very happy with my Stingers!
Old 2/18/07, 12:26 AM
Cobra R Member

+4 on loving the stingers

My only problem is trying to hide from cops, still havent found a deaf cop yet
Old 2/18/07, 01:41 AM
GT Member

Video Of The Mid Muffler Bt Pypes Scoll Down Page For Vid

http://www.pypesexhaust.com/gallery83.html
Old 2/18/07, 04:45 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Fords4Ever
I can't wait for someone to get this new system. What are the chances that moving the mufflers to the middle totally eliminates DRONE? The best sound I have heard is MAC because it's deep but the drone has me thinking GTA's.

I'm no muffler guru by anymeans but I would be suprised if the Pypes system with the mid mount resonators would eliminate much drone. Resonators are still straight thru items, I think it takes the baffles in side mufflers to cancel the sounds we don't like. I ran Flowmaster American Thunder mufflers on my 96 Cobra and it did not drone but they were slightly baffled mufflers.
Scott
Old 2/18/07, 04:53 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by SP_51-F1
For me at least, changing to an O/R H-pipe has removed more drone than any thing else I have tried. I think the drone comes more from the cats than the mufflers. At lower tones, the drone comes through more. The stingers have very low tones.

I have not tried every combination, so I could be way off.

+3 On being very happy with my Stingers!
I do agree with you that the OR pipes did seem to reduce the drone issue when I still had the Borlas. But it just got crazy loud to me and seemed to sound a little on the rough side. The GTA's just seem to take away only the bad areas to me. I use car as a daily driver also. That really entered into my decision to go with the GTA's.
Scott
Old 2/18/07, 06:29 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
I gave my nephew a pair of stock 07" mufflers.He needed a pair for his 69" Bronco.The engine has a built 347 with a torque monster cam,headers and a H-Pipe w/2 1/2" exhaust w/H-Pipe.
Its like comparing apples and grapes.The GT muffs sounded really mean on that engine..Without the drone of the two chambered Flows he had tried.(I gave him those as well.) Of couse that engine has aorund 10 to 1 compression.
These new age modular engines have their own sound no matter what type of muffs we run.I'm old school and miss the thump bump of high lift cams.I'm wondering what type of new engine Ford has in the works.Smaller cubes,less compression,more roller cam technology.What it took to make big HP takes half the C.I. .I figure its all good.Just think what Ford could with a 400 C.I. displacement engine with all the new age technology.
Old 2/18/07, 06:55 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree Scott. You'll never to be able to achieve the sound of a 351, 428, 429, etc., with a 281. It's like playing hard rock with a good receiver and bad speakers. That's not to say that these cars don't sound good, as they do, but in they're own way. It's hard not to compare, but it'd be unfair to do so. Personally, I like the sound of some of the small block engines... I think that the old 5.0(302) was one of the best sounding engines of all time.
Old 2/18/07, 09:24 AM

The Bassani X pipe will eliminate the drone almost entirely.
Old 2/18/07, 10:25 AM
Mach 1 Member

I'm no muffler guru by anymeans but I would be suprised if the Pypes system with the mid mount resonators would eliminate much drone. Resonators are still straight thru items, I think it takes the baffles in side mufflers to cancel the sounds we don't like. I ran Flowmaster American Thunder mufflers on my 96 Cobra and it did not drone but they were slightly baffled mufflers.
Scott
The thing that concerns me about the GTA's is some people have said it's just barely louder than stock. I'm looking for louder but deeper, not raspy. Also I really love the decel burble and i don't want to lose that.

Do you still have the burble and do do you think the GTAs are deeper sounding without the X-Pipe?
Old 2/18/07, 12:15 PM
Legacy TMS Member

The thing that concerns me about the GTA's is some people have said it's just barely louder than stock. I'm looking for louder but deeper, not raspy. Also I really love the decel burble and i don't want to lose that.

Do you still have the burble and do do you think the GTAs are deeper sounding without the X-Pipe?

Kelly,
I can't verbally tell you with any amount of certainty what the different exhaust systems sound like when you are on the road driving. But I can show you what several different combo's sound like in my garage. You be the judge. And as far as the GTA's only being a little louder than stock... go with a off road pipe and that really wakes them up. The attached vids are all with a offroad Mac Prochamber. Borla's...Stock muffs...GTA's You judge.
Scott

http://s138.photobucket.com/albums/q...t_the_cats.flv with the Borla's

http://s138.photobucket.com/albums/q...ckmufflers.flv with stock muffs

http://s138.photobucket.com/albums/q...pipesGTAmu.flv with the GTA's

http://s138.photobucket.com/albums/q...Aswideopen.flv GTA's at WOT.

BTW. Absolutely no droning with the stock muffs and the GTA's revving and at WOT. They will not be the meanest, badest sounding muffs out there. But at least they are something I can live with day to day. To me that's what is important.
Old 2/18/07, 05:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

Kelly,
And as far as the GTA's only being a little louder than stock... go with a off road pipe and that really wakes them up. The attached vids are all with a offroad Mac Prochamber.
Question:

With an O/R H or X, that means removing the cats right? Aren't there sensors attahced and does the computer need to be flashed? Also is the MAC Prochamber an O/R H?
Old 2/18/07, 08:24 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Kelly,
I can't verbally tell you with any amount of certainty what the different exhaust systems sound like when you are on the road driving. But I can show you what several different combo's sound like in my garage. You be the judge. And as far as the GTA's only being a little louder than stock... go with a off road pipe and that really wakes them up. The attached vids are all with a offroad Mac Prochamber. Borla's...Stock muffs...GTA's You judge.
Scott

http://s138.photobucket.com/albums/q...t_the_cats.flv with the Borla's

http://s138.photobucket.com/albums/q...ckmufflers.flv with stock muffs

http://s138.photobucket.com/albums/q...pipesGTAmu.flv with the GTA's

http://s138.photobucket.com/albums/q...Aswideopen.flv GTA's at WOT.

BTW. Absolutely no droning with the stock muffs and the GTA's revving and at WOT. They will not be the meanest, badest sounding muffs out there. But at least they are something I can live with day to day. To me that's what is important.
I think that the GTA w/ O/R sounds good
Old 2/19/07, 04:18 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Question:

With an O/R H or X, that means removing the cats right? Aren't there sensors attahced and does the computer need to be flashed? Also is the MAC Prochamber an O/R H?

Kelly,
Yes, the O/R pipe means you are removing the factory cats and Yes you need to have you tune modified to at least turn off the rear O2 sensors so you don't get the check engine light. The Pro chamber is not an H or X pipe. It has a box or chamber in the same spot were the H pipe is on out stock H pipe. You can get the ProChamber in either the direct fit version that keeps the stock cats or the O/R version. Check it out here.
Scott
http://www.macperformance.com/store/...ategory_ID=938
Old 2/19/07, 05:24 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Good info Scott.....
Old 2/19/07, 02:13 PM
Team Mustang Source

Kelly,
Yes, the O/R pipe means you are removing the factory cats and Yes you need to have you tune modified to at least turn off the rear O2 sensors so you don't get the check engine light. The Pro chamber is not an H or X pipe. It has a box or chamber in the same spot were the H pipe is on out stock H pipe. You can get the ProChamber in either the direct fit version that keeps the stock cats or the O/R version. Check it out here.
Scott
I also just added a Prochamber and did a write up, you can check my threads. It really changes the dynamic of the car, but doesn't eliminate drone. I'm still waiting for someone to run the resonator and tips solution to see if there is drone.

-Darth
Old 2/19/07, 04:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

Kelly,
Scott
Thanks Scott. I like the deep sound of the O/R pipes but I'm probably going to hold off on tunes for a while.

Is anyone running the ProChamber w/cats? Does the tone get lower/deeper even with the cats? I'm looking for louder and deeper but not too loud or my wife will never ride with me.
Old 2/19/07, 05:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

This is what scares me about the GTA's:

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=60919

This guy actually thinks stock is louder than his GTA's!
Old 2/19/07, 07:01 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
I think the GTA's have it by an ear...they are louder.Just ask my neighbor.

I was checking out the Flow Master 2007 catalog and they list some resonators.T409 pt#12512400 and T304 pt#12512300.Both are 2 1/2" in/out configuration.17" overall length.They look compact enough to fit right in front of the axle.FM claims they control interior resonance.
Old 2/19/07, 08:25 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
I'm a couple weeks away from trying the resonators........ plus I have another new experiment that may become a reality soon, so I'll post back once I have clips, etc.

Quick Reply: FRPP Borla Stinger droning and resonators