GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

FRPP Borla Stinger droning and resonators

Search this Thread

Old 2/15/07, 01:47 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by SteelTownStang
Bye, Bye Stingers...

Who is getting the nod now? Pypes... GTA's... or back to the flows?
Scott

Edit... Just saw it in the other thread. Back to the Flows. Good luck!
Old 2/15/07, 02:15 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER
Who is getting the nod now? Pypes... GTA's... or back to the flows?
Scott

Edit... Just saw it in the other thread. Back to the Flows. Good luck!
Yeah Scott... I'm going back to the Flows.
Old 2/15/07, 04:07 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I tell you, the exhaust issues on the S197's are a little disheartening at times . Look at all the threads out here about the drone and the sound issues. I'm beginning to wonder if the rear muffler design was a huge mistake. I'm also especially disappointed with a lot of these muffler manufacturers who KNOWINGLY put out products that result in resonance. I mean, they test these things right? They had to know the drone would be an issue, but they put them out anyway. Right now, I am very annoyed with my Stingers, even though I like the sound at WOT, the low down drone...with resonators and a prochamber..is just plain annoying!

And these aren't the only ones, people here have talked abut the drone issue with the Flows, SLPs, Bassanis, ect. Is this a quality or engineering issue? Before I get flamed, yes I know, I'm modding my car, but when a company makes an aftermarket part aren't they at least a tiny bit responsible for designing it to work properly? I'll be going to Corsas when I have the money, cause the stocks are just too darn quiet and ugly. I may even consider the GTA's as a stopgap. Just really disappointed that nothing has worked to eliminate this droning.

-Darth
Old 2/15/07, 05:02 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Darth Stang
I tell you, the exhaust issues on the S197's are a little disheartening at times . Look at all the threads out here about the drone and the sound issues. I'm beginning to wonder if the rear muffler design was a huge mistake. I'm also especially disappointed with a lot of these muffler manufacturers who KNOWINGLY put out products that result in resonance. I mean, they test these things right? They had to know the drone would be an issue, but they put them out anyway. Right now, I am very annoyed with my Stingers, even though I like the sound at WOT, the low down drone...with resonators and a prochamber..is just plain annoying!

And these aren't the only ones, people here have talked abut the drone issue with the Flows, SLPs, Bassanis, ect. Is this a quality or engineering issue? Before I get flamed, yes I know, I'm modding my car, but when a company makes an aftermarket part aren't they at least a tiny bit responsible for designing it to work properly? I'll be going to Corsas when I have the money, cause the stocks are just too darn quiet and ugly. I may even consider the GTA's as a stopgap. Just really disappointed that nothing has worked to eliminate this droning.

-Darth

Hey Darth,
Been there and done that. I am presently running the off road Mac Prochamber with the GTA's. It is great. Ran the Borla's for over a year and still think they are the best sounding axle back out there. As long as your aren't in the car when listening to them. Hate to say I told you so but the Prochamber just makes the drone a lower pitch... it doesn't go away. Sorry you had to find out the hard way. BTW, I also have a vert and I think the drone issue is worse for us than the coupe guys.
Scott
Old 2/15/07, 05:12 PM
V6 Member

This exhaust issues is not just mustangs .Had a Chevy 2500 pu and put flowmasters on and the hair would stand up on my neck at hiway speeds I hated it so bought another set of catbacks not shur what make and it was almost the same .Sold the truck and got a diesel.Martin
Old 2/15/07, 05:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

The prior model years had drone issues, too. It's just easier on our design to keep changing them out. (FWIW I am very happy with my stingers)
Old 2/15/07, 06:22 PM
Bullitt Member

With the O/R H and the resonators, I think my car is a little too quite when cruising now. I can't wait to hear it without the stingers, and just the resonators.

However, I have almost no drone and I still have the stinger "burble". I love the burble.
Old 2/16/07, 08:41 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER
Hey Darth,
Been there and done that. I am presently running the off road Mac Prochamber with the GTA's. It is great. Ran the Borla's for over a year and still think they are the best sounding axle back out there. As long as your aren't in the car when listening to them. Hate to say I told you so but the Prochamber just makes the drone a lower pitch... it doesn't go away. Sorry you had to find out the hard way. BTW, I also have a vert and I think the drone issue is worse for us than the coupe guys.
Scott
Totally agree Scott, but I was hoping...you know every car is different. I'd go offroad too, but I can't stand the "redneck perfume" smell. I'm also 100% on the Vert drone issue being a lot worse. I'm at the point where I think just taking them off and running resonators and tips will be my solution too, but I'm still waiting for someone who has done that to chime in on the droning.

-Darth
Old 2/16/07, 09:53 AM
GT Member

Question

Originally Posted by SP_51-F1
With the O/R H and the resonators, I think my car is a little too quite when cruising now. I can't wait to hear it without the stingers, and just the resonators.

However, I have almost no drone and I still have the stinger "burble". I love the burble.
What kind of resonators do you have???
Old 2/16/07, 11:40 AM
Bullitt Member

Dynomax
http://www.dynomax.com/products/bp.asp
Old 2/16/07, 12:22 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Import-Slaya
FWIW I am very happy with my stingers
+1
Old 2/16/07, 12:36 PM
TDS
Super Moderator
TMS Staff

Well,
I'm not a "young guy" by no means, but I do like exhaust sounds.

On the '06 GT i just got rid of, I installed Magnaflow X set up and the
cat back pipes/mufflers. Not the small FRpp styles but the full size Magnaflow polished.

At idle it was quieter than stock, however when accelerating or "*******" it as my wife calls it. SWEET

We are doing the same thing to her '07 GT/CS Vert, at her request.

Now for the absolute most obnoxious, loud, droan your teeth out of your head "noise".
My '94 5.0 Vert has MAC shorties, power chamber and Mac cat back system, the one with the 3 1/2 inch crome tips.

There is no other way to describe it but f****ng LOUD.

Sets off car alarms, rattles plate glass windows, etc.

However, people know that you have arrived.

TDS
Old 2/16/07, 06:28 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Well I removed the Stingers and re-installed Flows tonight. I Kept one Stinger on and started the car. There is some difference between the two- Stingers a little deeper, but nothing dramatic. As reported on another thread, I actually think the the Flows have a better tone. The only major differences are that the the Stingers look much better, and the Flows don't drone near as much. If the Flows would be slightly louder, they'd be perfect .
Old 2/16/07, 06:41 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Good luck with the Flows again, hopefully you'll be happy for awhile.
Old 2/16/07, 07:03 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by tom281
Good luck with the Flows again, hopefully you'll be happy for awhile.
Thanks Tom. My next exhaust mod will probably be an O/R set-up.
Old 2/16/07, 08:17 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Tone-wise, the Flows with an offroad H is one of my favorite setups actually. I've never owned the combo myself, but I rode in Brent's car (Brenspeed) last year when he tried the combo, and I thought overall the tone was nice.

Let me do a search, I posted about it here last year........

Tom
Old 2/16/07, 08:26 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Here's one thread from Dustin: http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showth...=Pypes+Offroad

Another one from 89trooper: http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showth...ight=BRENSPEED

And the post from Brent at Brenspeed, with my comments near the end: http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showth...ight=BRENSPEED
Old 2/16/07, 08:48 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bigkbull
+1
+2
Old 2/17/07, 07:08 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by tom281
Here's one thread from Dustin: http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showth...=Pypes+Offroad

Another one from 89trooper: http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showth...ight=BRENSPEED

And the post from Brent at Brenspeed, with my comments near the end: http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showth...ight=BRENSPEED
Thanks for the links. Your car sound awesome ! I almost think that I liked the Corsas better .
Old 2/17/07, 07:38 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Darth Stang
Totally agree Scott, but I was hoping...you know every car is different. I'd go offroad too, but I can't stand the "redneck perfume" smell. I'm also 100% on the Vert drone issue being a lot worse. I'm at the point where I think just taking them off and running resonators and tips will be my solution too, but I'm still waiting for someone who has done that to chime in on the droning.

-Darth
The resonator idea might be a good idea. Have you heard that new prototype exhaust from Pypes that only has resonators in the pipes and no mufflers yet?? There are some sound clips of it and it sounds pretty good but have no idea about how bad the drone is. I can't seem to find the thread the Pypes system is in right now. Can someone else find it?
Scott

Quick Reply: FRPP Borla Stinger droning and resonators