GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

FRPP Borla Stinger droning and resonators

Search this Thread

Old 11/9/06, 08:50 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by metroplex
Is there anything louder than the 5GTs using the stock cats, stock H, stock pipes?
SLP Loudmouths. It's basically a straight pipe with a nice tip. No mufflers.
Old 11/10/06, 05:11 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Does it sound obnoxiously loud like a dump truck or is it a nice muscle car exhaust note?
Old 11/10/06, 07:47 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by metroplex
Does it sound obnoxiously loud like a dump truck or is it a nice muscle car exhaust note?
I uploaded several clips of the SLP LM's.

clip 1 stock vs LM's
clip 2 exterior
clip 3 interior
clip 4 mixed
clip 5 mixed

Note: These are not my videos. I just uploaded them from my library of reference Mustang vids.
Old 2/13/07, 06:26 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I can get the sound that my '02 GT with Magnaflow Catted X and Magnapacks had, I'll be happy.
Old 2/13/07, 06:31 AM
Team Mustang Source

Don't know what that sounds like, but if you want loud and beastlike then go for the Stingers!!!!
Old 2/13/07, 06:36 AM
Bullitt Member

I will be replacing my highflow cats and stiners, for offroad and gta's ill let you know how it goes. Im trying to keep some of the loudness but with no drone.
Old 2/13/07, 08:43 AM
Bullitt Member

My current setup is:
Pypes O/R H - Dynomax bullet racing mufflers (resonators) - FRPP Stingers

For me, the cats on the stock H caused most of the drone. When I switched to an O/R H, my drone went down by ~75%. Of course, the volume went way up and the trumpeting started.

Next, I added the bullet mufflers. The drone went down even more, the volume went down (but still very loud), and the trumpets stopped. I love my current setup.
I can now cruise long distance with no drone at all, very comfortable. Also, I still have a very loud setup when around town or when I need to downshift on the highway and let someone know I am there.
Old 2/13/07, 09:55 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
This is the setup I'm gonna try once the snow melts......... (we have blizzard conditions today so it will be awhile). I think the offroad H, resonators, and Stingers will be the best combo available for these cars.
Old 2/13/07, 12:21 PM
9 is not my lucky number.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not so sure about Aluminized steel, why weld them on a stainless pipe? The 12" stainless vibrant resonators only cost $20 more a piece and you wont have to replace them when they rust out
Old 2/13/07, 01:25 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
SOmeone should just make a SS pipe replacement for the axle back mufflers. Basically a more reasonably priced version of the SLP LM's.
Old 2/13/07, 01:52 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I still don't understand why no one makes a cat-back with resonators. I think they would sell well.
Old 2/13/07, 01:54 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I think they don't because it would be aimed pretty much exclusively at customers that go with offroad pipes, which technically aren't legal. Just a guess......
Old 2/13/07, 02:16 PM
GT Member

This is a hot topic

So many of us are looking for the right sound. i guess that it's nearly impossible to achieve the great sound that the older style mustang offered due to the mufflers in the middle of the car.
i have a o/r x pipe with flowmasters and have the same exact trumpet sound . I'm looking to get resonators to tone it down a bit. I don't expect of want the drone to go away , I just hate the trumpeting in between shifts. Looking for vids or clips with o/r x ,flowmasters with a straight thru resonator.

Question?????? resonators with out the baffling material vs the ones with. What will do?? I can't what a difference it will make by just welding a bigger hollow piece of pipe .
Old 2/13/07, 02:19 PM
GT Member

Vid with stingers and resonators in thread

have some vids to demonstrate my problem and a vid with stingers with the resonators
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=60456
Old 2/13/07, 02:23 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I think you could go either way on the resonators....... you'd be surprised how they work without the packing material and only the vents or ribs in there to disturb the airflow. Good luck if you decide to try them.
Old 2/13/07, 02:49 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 2006muzzy
So many of us are looking for the right sound. i guess that it's nearly impossible to achieve the great sound that the older style mustang offered due to the mufflers in the middle of the car.
i have a o/r x pipe with flowmasters and have the same exact trumpet sound . I'm looking to get resonators to tone it down a bit. I don't expect of want the drone to go away , I just hate the trumpeting in between shifts. Looking for vids or clips with o/r x ,flowmasters with a straight thru resonator.

Question?????? resonators with out the baffling material vs the ones with. What will do?? I can't what a difference it will make by just welding a bigger hollow piece of pipe .

Hey Tony,
I have been looking for "THAT OLD MUSTANG SOUND" for a while myself. There is about 5 reasons we cannot make our cars sound "old school"
1. Smaller displacement
2. No more push rods. (overhead cams)
3. Multiple valves per cylinder.
4. Placement of mufflers
5. Cats and emission crap.

I keep changing everything on mine and take a video my the change I made. Then I listen to my 70 Mach I. I have failed so far.
Scott
Old 2/13/07, 02:59 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Hey Tony,
Here's is what I am trying to make my Stang sound like.
Scott

http://s138.photobucket.com/albums/q...newexhaust.flv
Old 2/13/07, 03:10 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER
Hey Tony,
Here's is what I am trying to make my Stang sound like.
Scott

http://s138.photobucket.com/albums/q...newexhaust.flv
Hey Scott, The recording isn't very good, but I think I know what you mean... You got to get some pics up of that beast.

As far as drone with Stingers... There is no sugar-coating it... They definitely drone. Some love it, I however, do not... they may be on the board soon, or as soon as I can find another set-up, go deaf, or get used it... probably the former
Old 2/13/07, 03:15 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by SteelTownStang
Het Scott, The recording isn't very good, but I think I know what you mean... You got to get some pics up of that beat.

As far as drone with Stingers... There is no sugar-coating it... They definitely drone. Some love it, I however, do not... they may be on the board soon, or as soon as I can find another set-up, go deaf, or get used it... probably the former
I think deaf is what it was going to take for me to get used to them. I am happy now with the GTA's but I am running offroad Prochamber also. They may not be strong enough for you. I would love to get the 70 out but we have about 12 new inch of snow and it is still coming down. I think it will be awhile. This storm nailing you guys too?
Scott
Old 2/13/07, 03:23 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER
I think deaf is what it was going to take for me to get used to them. I am happy now with the GTA's but I am running offroad Prochamber also. They may not be strong enough for you. I would love to get the 70 out but we have about 12 new inch of snow and it is still coming down. I think it will be awhile. This storm nailing you guys too?
Scott
Yeah, we're getting hit too... I would like to see some pics when the weather breaks...

Quick Reply: FRPP Borla Stinger droning and resonators