GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Comparison of the GMS and C&L CAI's with detailed info...

Search this Thread

Old 11/1/06, 02:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SixtySix
A new MAF isn't needed at all.
Again, without knowing exactly what the modification is doing that's hard to say. It would take someone with a in depth knowledge of electronics and some test equiptment to see.

In the end it seems that it works. How well? We'll have to see what Doug reports back with.

Remember that were talking the difference between a unit costing $359.99 vs a combo price of $749.00. Should the buyer get a lot more features for $749, I sure would hope so.
Old 11/1/06, 08:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by msully
OK, lets just compare out peak hp and tq numbers with our mods. I only have the GMS CAI and 2.5" exhaust. You have the C&L CAI, the beloved Bama chips 91 race tune, Corsa X and Corsa mufflers. The bottom line is we have basically the same peak hp and tq with our current set ups. I realize these are not side by side dyno numbers but there is no difference in our peak hp and tq numbers. Look at the other mustang forums and you will see others with similiar hp and tq numbers with the GMS CAI.

I know I would be bummed if I spent an extra $300 for a tune and found it out it provided no additional hp or tq benefit over a product like the GMS CAI without a tune and only needed 87 octane fuel. I know if I had the C&L and a tune I would probably be drinking the same kool-aid but the fact remains that the GMS CAI does work well and probably as well as other CAI's with the mandatory tune.

Doug, please do the dyno comparison with the GMS CAI and the C&L with the 87 tune and lets put thing to rest. In fact it might be interesting to do the comparison to the GMS with the 87, 91 and 93 just for fun.
I said basically the same thing earlier in this thread, dyno the same car with the GMS CAI vs C&L with an 87 tune.

I definitely want to know if the GMS unit works within safe parameters as far as a/f ratios because I'm one of those people that cannot afford to go the tune route initially. It might be another year or so before I could and at that point I could just throw in the stock MAF and then add a tune.

It's not that I don't want a tune although there is the warranty aspect, etc. The throttle response is OK, the only problem I have is when downshifting the throttle seems disconnected so maybe a tune is the only answer but again, if I cannot squeeze that in the budget yet, shouldn't I have an alternative like the GMS w/no tune right?
Old 11/1/06, 08:55 PM
SUPERCHARGED RED ROCKET ------------------Master-Moderator

Received 2,246 Likes on 1,796 Posts
I agree, why the need for a mystery MAF sensor if the jumper harness is adjusting for the proper MAF signal to send back to the ECM keeping the A/F within Ford specs
Old 11/1/06, 09:01 PM
eci
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone also think that "Ford specs" suck? My stock tune had an A/F of like 11.2. Totally crap rich.
Old 11/1/06, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by Fords4Ever
I said basically the same thing earlier in this thread, dyno the same car with the GMS CAI vs C&L with an 87 tune.

I definitely want to know if the GMS unit works within safe parameters as far as a/f ratios because I'm one of those people that cannot afford to go the tune route initially. It might be another year or so before I could and at that point I could just throw in the stock MAF and then add a tune.

It's not that I don't want a tune although there is the warranty aspect, etc. The throttle response is OK, the only problem I have is when downshifting the throttle seems disconnected so maybe a tune is the only answer but again, if I cannot squeeze that in the budget yet, shouldn't I have an alternative like the GMS w/no tune right?
I can understand your concern for not wanting a tune because of your budget... I'm also on a tight budget as well and had to purchase my mods, one at a time... I first purchased my X-Cal II and used it with my stock airbox for two months and then later purchased my cold air intake... What my concern along with the others is this, we still do not know what the purpose of this re-calibrated sensor does and unless you have your vehicle dyno tested? you really don't know what your A/F ratio is. just because you may not encounter a check engine light or cel code, doesn't mean your A/F is within safe limits... I'd at least want to know if my A/F is running too lean or too rich, for my own piece of mind...

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 9/17/23 at 11:01 PM. Reason: Revised Text
Old 11/1/06, 09:12 PM
eci
Banned

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
I can understand your concern for not wanting a tune because of your budget ?? I'm also on a tight budget as well, and had to purchase my mods one at a time..I first purchased my X-Cal II and used it with my stock airbox for two months and then later purchased my cold air intake..what my concern along with the others is this ? we still do not know what the purpose of this re-calibrated sensor does and unless you have your vehicle dyno tested ? you really don't know what your A/F ratio is. just because you may not encounter a check engine light or cel code ? doesn't mean your A/F is within safe limits..I'd at least would want to know if my A/F is running too lean or too rich, for my own piece of mind..
This is why a dyno is a MUST when adding a CAI and/or tune. My original race tune was running 13.6 A/F, which is too lean. No CEL. I sent my dyno sheet to Doug and he sent me a revised tune, which now has the car at 12.5 A/F where it should be.

If you can't afford a tuner and dyno run you shouldn't play with your car as you might just blow it up.
Old 11/1/06, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by eci
Does anyone also think that "Ford specs" suck? My stock tune had an A/F of like 11.2. Totally crap rich.
yes, I sure do...

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 9/17/23 at 11:02 PM. Reason: Revised Text
Old 11/1/06, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by eci
This is why a dyno is a MUST when adding a CAI and/or tune. My original race tune was running 13.6 A/F, which is too lean. No CEL. I sent my dyno sheet to Doug and he sent me a revised tune, which now has the car at 12.5 A/F where it should be.

If you can't afford a tuner and dyno run you shouldn't play with your car as you might just blow it up.
After my Stang was dyno tested ? the dyno technician had to add 6% more fuel because my A/F was running a lean 13.5 at WOT and this was with my canned SCT tune files and cold air intake and not once did I ever experience any check engine warnings, no thrown codes or any knocks or pinging.. However, after I asked the techinican why ?? I discovered the reason was the fact I was using 93 octane w/the SCT 93 performance tune and as a result ? the knock sensors added timing because of the higher octane fuel..But it still didn't change the fact I was still running a lean 13.5 A/F so in the end, I did the right thing by getting the A/F checked and I'm glad that I did..Btw ? if anyone would be interested in checking over my dyno results ?? just go over to the Steeda's new high elbow thread..you'll find them posted there..
Old 11/1/06, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
you really don't know what your A/F ratio is just because you may not encounter a check engine light or cel code, doesn't mean your A/F is within safe limits... I'd at least want to know if my A/F is running too lean or too rich, for my own piece of mind...
So even with canned tunes you don't really know what your getting unless you get it on a dyno, no?

I do understand what you're saying and I agree with you. If I found out that the GMS kit was f***ing up my a/f ratio (or anything else on my car) it would come off. Fortunately though, nothing (as of yet) indicates that this thing is not doing what it's supposed to do.

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 9/17/23 at 11:04 PM. Reason: Revised Text
Old 11/1/06, 09:54 PM
eci
Banned

Originally Posted by JayFi
But even with canned tunes you don't really know what your getting unless you get it on a dyno, no?

I do understand what you're saying and I agree with you. If I found out that the GMS kit was f***ing up my a/f ratio (or anything else on my car) it would come off. Fortunately though, nothing (as of yet) indicates that this thing is not doing what it's supposed to do.
Always dyno when adding a CAI. Canned tune, no tune, whatever. What we DO know is the stock tune is mega rich for headroom. I'd like to see a stock stang dyno'd, then a GMS CAI added and NOTHING else, and then dyno'd. F' the HP and TQ, I want to see the A/F.

You shouldn't just "trust Granatelli".
Old 11/1/06, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by JayFi
So even with canned tunes you don't really know what your getting unless you get it on a dyno, no?

This is exactly the reason why I got my car tested on the dyno, as I previously mentioned...My test results can be found posted on the Steeda's new high elbow thread...My A/F is included on the test results...

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 9/17/23 at 11:05 PM. Reason: Revised Text
Old 11/1/06, 11:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

There are some dyno sheets on Granetelli's website. But nothing gives the A/F ratios. Same car used on some of these?

Does anyone want to guess on which side of the fence the GMS CAI will fall ahead of Doug's pending dyno and a/f measurements? I'm guessing it will be a bit lean at WOT and Doug's GMS tune will correct it.
Attached Thumbnails Comparison of the GMS and C&L CAI's with detailed info...-dyno27small.jpg   Comparison of the GMS and C&L CAI's with detailed info...-dyno28small.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 11/2/06, 09:08 AM
ski
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by neil07gt
I'm guessing it will be a bit lean at WOT and Doug's GMS tune will correct it.
Correction -> Doug's C&L tune.
Old 11/2/06, 09:14 AM
eci
Banned

Originally Posted by neil07gt
There are some dyno sheets on Granetelli's website. But nothing gives the A/F ratios. Same car used on some of these?

Does anyone want to guess on which side of the fence the GMS CAI will fall ahead of Doug's pending dyno and a/f measurements? I'm guessing it will be a bit lean at WOT and Doug's GMS tune will correct it.
rofl! GMS is using msully's BUSTED test! Look at the baseline! The car had a problem on the baseline! Runfile 2 in my graph was stock, notice my car doesn't fall FLAT ON ITS FACE at 5300 RPM like GMS's "test" ?

Old 11/2/06, 10:21 AM
Cobra Member

I have the GMS w/MAF and had it dyno'd after installing it. My Air/Fuel ratio was dead on at 12.5 using thier MAF. I also dyno'd 281 rwhp with the garage air temp being 97F. I have had no codes thrown or any issues with my CAI.

-danny
Old 11/2/06, 10:25 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by pegasusphototx
I have the GMS w/MAF and had it dyno'd after installing it. My Air/Fuel ratio was dead on at 12.5 using thier MAF. I also dyno'd 281 rwhp with the garage air temp being 97F. I have had no codes thrown or any issues with my CAI.

-danny
Old 11/2/06, 10:32 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by pegasusphototx

-danny
So guys, what's the next conspiracy theory? Oh I know, he's just making it up because he didn't actually post a dyno sheet huh. Yeah, that's it.
Old 11/2/06, 12:03 PM
eci
Banned

Originally Posted by 05GTRedfire
So guys, what's the next conspiracy theory? Oh I know, he's just making it up because he didn't actually post a dyno sheet huh. Yeah, that's it.
Sigh. My argument isn't that. My argument is the GMS CAI doesn't add "33 RWHP" as advertised.
Old 11/2/06, 12:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by eci
Sigh. My argument is the GMS CAI doesn't add "33 RWHP" as advertised.
I only see "Adds 25+RWP" on his web site....
Old 11/2/06, 12:36 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by ski
Correction -> Doug's C&L tune.
No actually it will be dougs GMS tune, he is coming to st. louis and will be doing custom tunes, and one of them will by my gms cai, so he should have some updated tunes specifically for the gms after the 12th which is my dyno day. Cant wait to see what tweaking can be done. But for now a temp tune is the C&L.

Quick Reply: Comparison of the GMS and C&L CAI's with detailed info...