GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Comparison of the GMS and C&L CAI's with detailed info...

Search this Thread

Old 11/2/06, 02:28 PM
ski
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sodaman
No actually it will be dougs GMS tune, he is coming to st. louis and will be doing custom tunes, and one of them will by my gms cai, so he should have some updated tunes specifically for the gms after the 12th which is my dyno day. Cant wait to see what tweaking can be done. But for now a temp tune is the C&L.
It will be Doug's C&L tune. Think about it.
Old 11/2/06, 03:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by eci
If you can't afford a tuner and dyno run you shouldn't play with your car as you might just blow it up.
Not to be confrontational but that's kind of a ridiculous statement. I would bet there are thousands of people that have added bolt-on equipment without a dyno run and they aren't all blown up! I don't think it's too much to expect that when a company advertises their equipment as not requiring a tune then you should feel confident in that purchase. In this case there seems to be a lot of doubt in that confidence when it come to GMS but this comes from those that seem to take this as a personal issue for some reason.

Hopefully Doug will do the comparisons in a non biased manner and this whole issue can be put to bed!
Old 11/2/06, 05:00 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by eci
Sigh. My argument isn't that. My argument is the GMS CAI doesn't add "33 RWHP" as advertised.
Dude, do you actually read the posts? I've posted it twice. 33RWHP was NOT just with a CAI, it was the CAI and a cat-back exhaust.
Old 11/2/06, 05:15 PM
eci
Banned

Originally Posted by 05GTRedfire
Dude, do you actually read the posts? I've posted it twice. 33RWHP was NOT just with a CAI, it was the CAI and a cat-back exhaust.
The cat-back exhaust added 0HP. If he had longtubes I'd believe it. Catback... no. My Corsa X + Corsa mufflers made a whole 0 HP.
Old 11/2/06, 06:02 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
5.0 says 9-12 with MagnaFlow axle-backs.

Mustang baselined in the high 260-rwhp range, and the MagnaFlow system gained anywhere from 9-12 rwhp on that depending on how you look at the data.
http://www.magnaflow.com/05news/maga...0mustang03.asp

IIRC there was a probelm with the MMFF test in that there wasn't enough time give for the ECU to adjust to each muffler change.
Old 11/2/06, 06:05 PM
eci
Banned

Originally Posted by LBJay

IIRC there was a probelm with the MMFF test in that there wasn't enough time give for the ECU to adjust to each muffler change.
I gaind 17 RWHP from CAI, tune, Corsa mufflers, and Corsa X. The car was dyno'd one week after the mods and was driven 600 miles. How much of that 17 RWHP do you think the Corsa added?

I attribute ALL of the gains to the C&L. Exhaust on these cars is for sound not power. Mufflers do not give 9 - 12 RWHP to a stock GT. I'll waste 70$ for another pull and remove my Corsa's to prove it to you if you want.

I take "magazine tests" with a grain of salt. They are paid by the manufacturers for advertising and are biased. In the current MMFF, there is a one page ad for GMS where the writer claimed 40 RWHP, yes FORTY, from the GMS CAI.

I believe the dyno results I see with my own eyes on my car and others in my area. Curious, how many of the people arguing in here have baseline and modded dyno sheets from their cars?
Old 11/2/06, 06:46 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by eci
I gaind 17 RWHP from CAI, tune, Corsa mufflers, and Corsa X. The car was dyno'd one week after the mods and was driven 600 miles. How much of that 17 RWHP do you think the Corsa added?

I attribute ALL of the gains to the C&L. Exhaust on these cars is for sound not power. Mufflers do not give 9 - 12 RWHP to a stock GT. I'll waste 70$ for another pull and remove my Corsa's to prove it to you if you want.

I take "magazine tests" with a grain of salt. They are paid by the manufacturers for advertising and are biased. In the current MMFF, there is a one page ad for GMS where the writer claimed 40 RWHP, yes FORTY, from the GMS CAI.

I believe the dyno results I see with my own eyes on my car and others in my area. Curious, how many of the people arguing in here have baseline and modded dyno sheets from their cars?

It's not just a muffler, hence the name "cat-back" not "axle-back", although it's not really a cat-back either. It's a H-back I guess, with new intermediate pipes. I agree, that muffler to muffler, there isn't any difference, but since you've got the Corsa's like I do, I'm sure you saw the huge crunch of a bend the factory pipes have going over the axle. So uhm, yeah, you will get a HP gain.
And the only people arguing, just like last time, are the people that don't actually have a GMS CAI, and yet voicing an opinion about their performance.
http://www.granatellimotorsports.com...ackexhaust.htm

Oh, and yeah, I agree, 17HP gain from a CAI with a tune, AND an X-pipe, is pretty weak.
Old 11/2/06, 07:05 PM
eci
Banned

Oh, and yeah, I agree, 17HP gain from a CAI with a tune, AND an X-pipe, is pretty weak.
It's actually reality. Quit believing dyno graphs in ads in magazines. I didn't ice my intake after modding like a lot of guys do too.

Did you baseline your car? I'd like to see your results.
Old 11/2/06, 07:30 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by eci
It's actually reality. Quit believing dyno graphs in ads in magazines. I didn't ice my intake after modding like a lot of guys do too.

Did you baseline your car? I'd like to see your results.

Sorry, but I think you're going to be disappointed, and no, I sure didn't get a dyno, never have. In fact, I told myself I never would, but, after reading some of the things Doug and the silver horse guy said, I have to admit I am curious now. Of course, I'm sure that no matter what I, or some of the multitudes of people who have actually bought and use the GMS CAI post, there will still be some people that just won't believe it. Can't change that. I'll look into garages in the area, and see where and how much it costs for a dyno run. If it's reasonable for me, I might just get one done to see what I'm putting down now. So if you only got 17 HP total, what are you at right now, or what was your peak rather.

I guess I should edit my sig too, I have since taken off my T-body, didn't like the idle.
Old 11/2/06, 08:02 PM
eci
Banned

Sorry, but I think you're going to be disappointed, and no, I sure didn't get a dyno, never have. In fact, I told myself I never would, but, after reading some of the things Doug and the silver horse guy said, I have to admit I am curious now. Of course, I'm sure that no matter what I, or some of the multitudes of people who have actually bought and use the GMS CAI post, there will still be some people that just won't believe it. Can't change that. I'll look into garages in the area, and see where and how much it costs for a dyno run. If it's reasonable for me, I might just get one done to see what I'm putting down now. So if you only got 17 HP total, what are you at right now, or what was your peak rather.

I guess I should edit my sig too, I have since taken off my T-body, didn't like the idle.
Peak 285 RWHP / 301 RWTQ. Dynojet, 95 F, 29% humidity, 29.90 in-hG 12.5 A/F average past 3,000 RPM.
Old 11/2/06, 08:54 PM
SUPERCHARGED RED ROCKET ------------------Master-Moderator

Received 2,246 Likes on 1,796 Posts
Originally Posted by LBJay

I'm sorry, but I don't believe that for a moment... If on the other hand, if the magna-flows were considered as a straight flow designed muffler with no chambers, it's possible you could see maybe a 3-5 HP gain... but other than that, there's no point wasting your time and money, unless you're looking for a throatier sound...

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 9/17/23 at 11:07 PM. Reason: Revised Text
Old 11/2/06, 09:02 PM

It's not just a muffler, hence the name "cat-back" not "axle-back", although it's not really a cat-back either. It's a H-back I guess, with new intermediate pipes. I agree, that muffler to muffler, there isn't any difference, but since you've got the Corsa's like I do, I'm sure you saw the huge crunch of a bend the factory pipes have going over the axle. So uhm, yeah, you will get a HP gain.
And the only people arguing, just like last time, are the people that don't actually have a GMS CAI, and yet voicing an opinion about their performance.
http://www.granatellimotorsports.com...ackexhaust.htm

What do you mean? I don't recall seeing any bends going over the axle on the factory pipes... My understanding is the factory pipes are mandrel bent and nobody in this thread is accusing anybody of a conspiracy theory, in fact, I've already mentioned twice if anybody would be interested in looking over my Dyno results, their more than welcome to check them out over on the Steeda's new high inlet elbow thread...The bottom line is I would never ask anyone to do anything that I wouldn't be willing to do myself

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 9/17/23 at 11:10 PM. Reason: Revised Text
Old 11/2/06, 09:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by eci

If I were you I wouldn't waste any more of your $$$, you must have spent nearly $1400.00 already on the CAI/tune and Corsa's only to see 17RWHP?

Corsa claims:
  • Straight-through, nonrestrictive design, specifically tuned for the 2005-06 Ford Mustang GT.
  • Flow bench-tested 40% gain in exhaust flow vs. stock system.
  • Additional 13 horsepower and 9 lb/ft torque on chassis dyno
Let's say you you're right and "everyone" else is wrong and you only see about half what Corsa says you should get. That means you're only getting 10RWHP from the CAI and tune. Sounds like you have some bad equipement, bad tune, bad luck or all of the above!
Old 11/2/06, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Fords4Ever
Not to be confrontational but that's kind of a ridiculous statement. I would bet there are thousands of people that have added bolt-on equipment without a dyno run and they aren't all blown up! I don't think it's too much to expect that when a company advertises their equipment as not requiring a tune then you should feel confident in that purchase. In this case there seems to be a lot of doubt in that confidence when it come to GMS but this comes from those that seem to take this as a personal issue for some reason.

Hopefully Doug will do the comparisons in a non biased manner and this whole issue can be put to bed!
Did you read my post on page 8, the issue isn't about whether or not you feel confident in your product purchase, the fact is, every car responds to modifications differently and it wouldn't matter if I purchased my cold air intake, tuner or whatever from GMS, Doug, Brenspeed or any other company for that matter... I got my car dyno tested because I wanted to be sure my A/F ratio was within a safe margin, especially after spending close to $28.000 for my Stang, therefore, I didn't want to take the risk of something going wrong that would possibly void my warranty, so my main concern for getting tested was for safety reasons and also because my Stang means everything to me, well everything except my wife, but I think you know what I mean lol...As for the quote ECI mentioned about engines blowing up, you know that was just meant as a figure of speech, right?

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 9/17/23 at 11:12 PM. Reason: Revised Text
Old 11/2/06, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by neil07gt
There are some dyno sheets on Granetelli's website. But nothing gives the A/F ratios. Same car used on some of these?

Does anyone want to guess on which side of the fence the GMS CAI will fall ahead of Doug's pending dyno and a/f measurements? I'm guessing it will be a bit lean at WOT and Doug's GMS tune will correct it.
I have a couple of questions about these charts... If I'm not mistaken, are not the max HP and torque numbers usually lower on a Mustang Dynometer than on a Dynojet ? Perhaps Ski and Doug can answer this better, but I believe the Mustang Dyno simulates load and actual weight conditions where on the other hand, a Dynojet does not and also what octane was used during the runs 87 or 93 octane

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 9/17/23 at 11:15 PM. Reason: Revised Text
Old 11/2/06, 10:08 PM
eci
Banned

Originally Posted by Fords4Ever
If I were you I wouldn't waste any more of your $$$, you must have spent nearly $1400.00 already on the CAI/tune and Corsa's only to see 17RWHP?

Corsa claims:
  • Straight-through, nonrestrictive design, specifically tuned for the 2005-06 Ford Mustang GT.
  • Flow bench-tested 40% gain in exhaust flow vs. stock system.
  • Additional 13 horsepower and 9 lb/ft torque on chassis dyno
Let's say you you're right and "everyone" else is wrong and you only see about half what Corsa says you should get. That means you're only getting 10RWHP from the CAI and tune. Sounds like you have some bad equipement, bad tune, bad luck or all of the above!
None of the above. Explain how I can I have a "bad CAI". It's a pipe and a filter. Explain how I have a "bad X pipe". It's a pipe. Explain how I have a "bad tune". A/F is perfect and the car responded with more power. My car made 268 RWHP stock, which is higher than most ( 263ish ). I challenge you or anyone else to show better numbers ( not just 3 or 4 HP which is margin of error ) with equal mods. You won't. I am in reality, you are in magazines and manufacturer utopian dyno charts. You have fallen victim to bull**** horsepower claims.

I knew what I was buying. I didn't pay the money for HP and TQ as a main objective, I really wanted a better sound and better drivability which I got. Again, here is reality: Runfile 2 stock runfile 4 and 5 modded:

Old 11/2/06, 10:20 PM
eci
Banned

BTW how come none of the people flaming me have dyno charts of their own showing their huge 30 RWHP increases from their mufflers and CAI's? All I have seen so far is one guy's charts where his engine fell apart at 5300 RPM and his curve fell flat. Another person posted Corsa's claims from their website. HOW ABOUT SOME ACTUAL, TMS MEMBER CHARTS? Am I the only one willing to step up and put my money where my mouth is?

If you're relying on some **** in a magazine for your "estimated HP", you're a ricer period. Dyno's are the only non biased things on the planet.

The mindset " well mufflers add X HP and a CAI adds Y HP, so I added X + Y " is called RICER MATH.
Old 11/2/06, 10:24 PM

My stang produced 262 max HP stock, however there's 2 factors as to why..first I was running 93 octane instead of 87 also, the stock runs were performed a month after my mods and sct tune..so more than likely the knock sensors added timing for the higher octane fuel resulting in higher stock HP numbers plus the intake temp and humidity was also 15 degrees lower than my modded runs, which was 277.2 max HP and 292.1 max torque..So it's very possible my stock HP could have been lower perhaps as low as 252-256 which would have provided 20-25 HP gain over stock, anything over that with just a computer re-flash and cold air intake is considered as un-realistic
Old 11/2/06, 10:27 PM
eci
Banned

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
My stang produced 262 max HP stock, however there's 2 factors as to why..first I was running 93 octane instead of 87 plus, the stock run was performed a month after my mods and sct tune..so more than likely the knock sensors added timing for the higher octane fuel resulting in a higher stock HP numbers and the intake temp and humidity was also 15 degrees lower than my modded runs, which was 277.2 max HP and 292.1 max torque..
Your power sounds correct. You apparently live with me in reality. Nice to meet you.
Old 11/2/06, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by eci
Your power sounds correct. You apparently live with me in reality. Nice to meet you.
Likewise

Quick Reply: Comparison of the GMS and C&L CAI's with detailed info...